• 66 results
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By SeriouslyNow

If you take your AV seriously then either TrustPort or GDATA, both use a Dual Engine approach (meaning they use two licensed engines to actively scan and protect at the same time, so what one misses the other should and often will pick up).  They both rate highly at AV Comparatives, which is the go to site to go to for AV tests.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Three0neFive

common sense

Hotcakesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Hotcakesman

I really like Defender Pro... it is 20 bux.. and works for 3 computers.. 

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By MrCandleguy
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" Avast is easy to use and maintain, it maintains itself. Some ppl like microsoft essentials. "
I use Avast and Spy bot search and destory, but just go with Avast its great and free.
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By AlexW00d
@Nocall said:
" @AlexW00d said:
" @Azteck said:
" Why are people suggesting Ubuntu when it's right there in the thread that his mom isn't computer savvy? "
Because you don't need to be computer savvy to work your way around it? It's no more complicated that Windows. "
Maybe if you  put 9.04 or 9.10 on it, but everything Canonical has released after that has been buggy and crash-prone as hell. "
I'm on the newest version of Ubuntu 11.4 or whichever and I have never had a problem, even with previous builds.
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By august

Ubuntu is pretty great.

Have her try it out as a dual-boot option for a week or so.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@AmonHouston: hey heed my advice, spybot isn't good enough anymore, download malwarebytes antimalware too with that. You'll thank me later.

I also want to say to the thread, kaspersky is superior, second place for most reviews. But of course you have to pay for it.
mrv321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mrv321
@AlexW00d said:
" @Nocall said:
" @AlexW00d said:
" @Azteck said:
" Why are people suggesting Ubuntu when it's right there in the thread that his mom isn't computer savvy? "
Because you don't need to be computer savvy to work your way around it? It's no more complicated that Windows. "
Maybe if you  put 9.04 or 9.10 on it, but everything Canonical has released after that has been buggy and crash-prone as hell. "
I'm on the newest version of Ubuntu 11.4 or whichever and I have never had a problem, even with previous builds. "
Don't tell him that, I've installed more version than Linux than I care count my only problems where Alpha versions and of course trying to use ever older cards and computers... still can't get a broadcom device to work.
WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

If you're wanting to not spend money and keep your mothers computer safe go for AVG.

Never had any problems when I used it.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Meowshi

I use Spybot, Avast, and Malware Bytes.  That's probably too many, but whatever.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#61  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
@AlexW00d said:
" @Nocall said:
" @AlexW00d said:
" @Azteck said:
I'm on the newest version of Ubuntu 11.4 or whichever and I have never had a problem, even with previous builds. "
I set up a Ubuntu machine for my mom a couple of years ago, and she hasn't had any problems with it - actually the opposite, since her sight is bad and getting worse she's had a lot good use of the built-in zoom function in compiz (default: windows key+mouse wheel). I've never had problems with the stuff I expect problems with on linux machines (USB devices, NIC's, graphics cards, NTFS partitions, getting Windows programs to run in Wine), but getting the sound to work has been a pain in the ass almost every time. Any sound card that wasn't a Soundblaster Live! from 1998 has required lots of googling and ALSA, OSS and Pulsewhateveritscalled config file editing.
Avatar image for chilipeppersman
chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By chilipeppersman

I had MSE for a while, but when it comes down to it, my computer was better protected with AVG. I made the switch, and couldnt be happier. AVG 2011 free is running on my gaming machine and my laptop. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use AVG but I still use avast sometimes it finds viruses better I've notice.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ekajarmstro

Avira is awesome.

NobodyHIFI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By NobodyHIFI
@bonorbitz said:
" I rock a Mac as well (prefer it over Windows) but on my Windows gaming rig I run McAfee Anti-Virus Suite and am quite happy with it... "

McAfee is complete shit.

Avast or MSE. Avast has more features w/ the same CPU/RAM usage
Kaspersky is the best, but it costs

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By KaosAngel

If you mom has Comcast, she gets it for free and it's pretty solid.