Blu-Ray Rant. (Sorry guys this just frustrates me.)

• 93 results
jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jack_daniels

I have had my 1080p television for about 6 months now and it looks great. I also use it as my desktop but there are some things I have come to notice. Blu-rays aren't really THAT great. They could be so much better. An average Blu-ray movie is about 20 GB compared with a Dvd's 5-6GB. 20 GB is just not big enough to store an HD movie without eliminating compression errors. For example, if I look at a 1920x 1080 picture on my computer it looks great, but a Blu-ray movie never really compares. This is why we don't need higher resolution TV's before larger capacity discs. I know many of you guys are thinking that Blu-Ray is going to be the last physical media but I seriously hopenot. I would rather have Blu-ray 2 that has almost no compression then a greatly compressed HD streaming signal. 

Let me break it down by the numbers:

• Average movie: 2 hours long
  • 20GB / 120 min = 166 Mb a minute. Which is ridiculous.  So in the end we get 2.7 MB per second. 2.7 MB isn't alot for 2 million pixels multiplied by however many frames per second.
  • Higher resolution TV isn't going to mean squat with the same Blu-Ray technology as Blu-Ray isn't good enough for what we have now.

According to Wikipedia blu-ray's can store up to 100 GB on a dual-layer disc. WHY are the movie people not using this technology? 100GB /120 min is nearly 850 MB a minute, which would give us such a better picture. So if we have the technology now where is the bottle neck? Even brand new movies 
like Slumdog Millionaire only clock in at 30GB. Why not crank it up and give us the least amount of compression possible. I think it's the fat cats in hollywood refusing to spend on dual layer discs so they compress the movie and extras onto a 25 GB-50GB disc, which is total BS. How much different in price can it be for manufacturers? A dollar at the most. I would pay a dollar more for maximum bandwith. If someone could explain to me what the hell is going on or link me to a page that explains this fiasco let me know. Thanks. 

- End Rant.
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Bombs_Away

I still use DVDs...They're cool enough.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ahriman22

Resolution isn't everything.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Ryax

i dont really give a shit about blue ray. its not like the movie is completely different because its blue ray. 

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By emkeighcameron
@Bombs_Away said:
" I still use DVDs...They're cool enough. "
Yeah, same.

Never understood the Blu-ray craze
Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Jambones
@Bombs_Away said:
Yeah, same. My eyesight sucks anyway, so I am not going miss a few pixels that would have been blurry anyway.
jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jack_daniels
@Bombs_Away said:
@ahriman22 said:
" Resolution isn't everything. "
@Jambones said:
" @Bombs_Away said:
Yeah, same. My eyesight sucks anyway, so I am not going miss a few pixels that would have been blurry anyway. "
@Ryax said:
" i dont really give a shit about blue ray. its not like the movie is completely different because its blue ray.  "
Damn you guys would still be watching black and white TV if it wasn't for technophiles like me.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond
@Jack_Daniels: You don't just take the bandwidth per second / frame and compare it to a JPEG or PNG.  The way video is compressed, data can be preserved from frame to frame, meaning less compression is required.  Even DVDs can use variable bit rates, which means when more on-screen information changes, more data can be dynamically associated with that change.

Still shot without much changes = low bitrate, big dynamic scene for 2 minutes = a larger portion of the disk.

Factor in the better compression of blurays along with the size and you have a pretty big difference over DVD.

Obviously some studios do a really shitty job, and lots of films were never recorded in HD before (the original Toy Story was SD and upscaled).
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bombs_Away
@Jack_Daniels said:
" @Bombs_Away said:
@ahriman22 said:
@Jambones said:
" @Bombs_Away said:
Yeah, same. My eyesight sucks anyway, so I am not going miss a few pixels that would have been blurry anyway. "
@Ryax said:
" i dont really give a shit about blue ray. its not like the movie is completely different because its blue ray.  "
Damn you guys would still be watching black and white TV if it wasn't for technophiles like me. "
Not really. We all moved on from Video cause it was a pain rewinding and also with the flickering screen. The difference between DVD and Bluray is minimal. But I suppose you're "cool" for  being so tech savvy ain't ya?
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Brendan

Higher resolution isn't what makes movies good for me, so I never have these problems.
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bombs_Away

What's the betting this guy had a bit of an excited spaz when Avatar came out. Why don't we find out....

@Jack_Daniels:
Yo JD, you like Avatar blad?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Baillie
@ahriman22: Oi, shut up. No need for that. 

Yeah, obviously some blu-ray movies don't have the best encoding. However, the way you think it works isn't the way it works. Video doesn't just put together images, it's compressed differently.
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ahriman22
@Baillie: Seriously though. That was the most uneeded reply ever (Not that mine wasn't), can you say stuck up? Whatever, I'll remove mine if it makes you happy.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I've never had a problem, and your picture analogy is flawed a picture is going to look good because its not in motion it has no problems with blurring, or moving artifacts...a movie does, And I've seen quite a few good bluray movies to not understand how your having such a problem.

P.S: wish you wouldn't pull numbers out your ass, I've never heard of dual layer bluray holding 100 gigs, triple layer i have but not dual layer. but regardless of that 1 dollar more? where are you getting this number?

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By LaszloKovacs

Because that's not how that works and just because something is compressed doesn't mean you've lost any data?

If compression were that simple, we wouldn't need to spend millions of dollars developing new compression technology.

EDIT: Here's a primer for you.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I love my Blu-rays.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jack_daniels
@Bombs_Away said:
" @Jack_Daniels said:
" @Bombs_Away said:
@ahriman22 said:
@Jambones said:
" @Bombs_Away said:
@Ryax said:
Damn you guys would still be watching black and white TV if it wasn't for technophiles like me. "
Not really. We all moved on from Video cause it was a pain rewinding and also with the flickering screen. The difference between DVD and Bluray is minimal. But I suppose you're "cool" for  being so tech savvy ain't ya? "
You know it. Atleast my mom thinks Im cool!
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Jack_Daniels: I agree that Blu-Rays don't look as good as they could. But the 20 gigs isn't the problem. Trust me, 20 gigs is WAY enough to produce an excellent quality image. You don't need freakin' 800 megabytes per minute, that's just insane.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By TwoOneFive

yeahhhhh well go get an imax blu-ray, that will make you happy. they make use of it. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xyzygy

I have had my PS3 for almost 2 years and I haven't loaded one single Blu Ray into it. DVDs are perfectly fine.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ryax

No Caption Provided
CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CABBAGES

ALot of people cant see much of a difference with blu ray over dvd but i can see a big difference. 
I think it can depend on the kind of tv you use, Try an LG. 
Anyway I think any disc based media is not goin to be very good if we get any bigger than it already is. 
think about a little scratch on a normal music cd and how it might have messed up one track or a bit of a song. 
Think about how much damage a little scratch could do to a 50gb plus disc :O

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jack_daniels
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" I've never had a problem, and your picture analogy is flawed a picture is going to look good because its not in motion it has no problems with blurring, or moving artifacts...a movie does, And I've seen quite a few good bluray movies to not understand how your having such a problem.  P.S: wish you wouldn't pull numbers out your ass, I've never heard of dual layer bluray holding 100 gigs, triple layer i have but not dual layer. but regardless of that 1 dollar more? where are you getting this number? "
For some reason I can't copy paste into this reply box, but look on Wikipedia's page on Blu-Ray it says right on there 100GB max storage for a dual-layer disc. As for 1 dollar more that was just an estimate. I don't see it costing more then 50cents when manufacturing on such a large scale.
K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By K0rN

Blu-Ray on shows how important it is over DVD's with games like Final Fantasy XIII.
rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rmills87

I would think that sooner than later, HD streaming is going to be TOTALLY perfected and we will not need physical media anymore.  I, like many other people prefer physical media to digital distribution but I really think the end of this stuff is coming soon :(

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By MaddProdigy

Yea, yea, the compression is better and so are the dynamically associated pixel changes. But its NEW. and the box is BLUE. and has a shinyyy logo that says BLU RAY. aww yea for needing new stuff

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jrad

I pirate my HD movies without issue. No need for blu-ray.

Gunrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Gunrock
@Bombs_Away said:
Not really. We all moved on from Video cause it was a pain rewinding and also with the flickering screen. The difference between DVD and Bluray is minimal. But I suppose you're "cool" for  being so tech savvy ain't ya? "
Not saying you're wrong but that reminded me of something my uncle said about cassettes a long time ago, i know the difference is obvious now but maybe back then it didn't seem so, heck i still remember when i use to think 6gig HDD's were huge now 6g's is a memory stick =p
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iam3green

i just have to say who cares. the picture is still great. i'm sure once it gets more it will look good.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bombs_Away
@Gunrock said:
" @Bombs_Away said:
Not saying you're wrong but that reminded me of something my uncle said about cassettes a long time ago, i know the difference is obvious now but maybe back then it didn't seem so, heck i still remember when i use to think 6gig HDD's were huge now 6g's is a memory stick =p "
Are you seriously suggesting that the difference between a DVD and Blu-Ray (in terms of watching a movie) is as big as that between a VHS and DVD or a cassette and CD? Cause you might not be saying that I'm wrong, but I'm saying that you're wrong.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By oldschool

I have no desire to change to blu-ray until they have: 

• cheap discs 
  • a reasonable price for a recordable blu-ray with a large hard drive 
  • all computers use it (meaning I have a computer with it)
  • Mactheripper will remove security from retail movies to make back-up copies.

Until then. I am perfectly content to continue on with dvd.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34  Edited By damnboyadvance

Are you starting your own IMAX or something? It looks fine how it is.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By sopranosfan

I buy blu rays when they are within a couple dollars of the DVD version. 

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By monetarydread

I used to think that a DVD was just fine until I received Planet Earth on BluRay. Having seen the documentary before in SD I could notice the difference immediately. Spending the extra $5 on a disk is worth it to me because I am a graphics whore.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Eurobum
@Jack_Daniels said:

So if we have the technology now where is the bottle neck? Even brand new movies 
like Slumdog Millionaire only clock in at 30GB. Why not crank it up and give us the least amount of compression possible. I think it's the fat cats in hollywood refusing to spend on dual layer discs so they compress the movie and extras onto a 25 GB-50GB disc, which is total BS.

The bottleneck is computational bandwidth. Combressed data needs to be decompressed, which requires some kind of hardwired chip or processor. A  Netbook or a DVD player can't play BlueRay or anything beyond 10 MBytet/s, because they are too slow processing the data.
With uncompressed video the bottle neck would probably be read and write speed. (which is around 50 Mbyte/s for an average hard drive).

Using conspiracy theories (read someone's evil intention as an explanation for everything) won't help you understand.
monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By monetarydread
@Gunrock said:

" @Bombs_Away said:

Not saying you're wrong but that reminded me of something my uncle said about cassettes a long time ago, i know the difference is obvious now but maybe back then it didn't seem so, heck i still remember when i use to think 6gig HDD's were huge now 6g's is a memory stick =p "
Back in the day, if you spend ten grand on a great Hi-Fi stereo system and purchased reference quality cassettes, you couldn't tell the difference between a cassette and a CD. Then again, who ever really has ten grand for a stereo system and forty dollars for a cassette... and that was in the eighties. Its just like today, if you spend three grand on a TV, and have a great receiver with a 7.1 speaker system you would want something to validate all the money you just wasted. 
As for the OP, I agree with you though. Most Blu-Ray's aren't encoded that well. If you would like to show off a system, pick up anything by Pixar, Baraka (Best Picture on a Blu Ray - No If's, and's, or but's, about it), Planet Earth,  Legends of Jazz with Ramsey Lewis, Sunshine, or I Robot. 
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By penguindust

I've had my PS3 for a few years now and almost all the new movies I watch on it are Blu-Rays thanks to Netflix.  Most of the time they look great, but sometime it's just a crappy port and, well, there nothing you can do about that except wait for a re-issue.  I will say that if it wasn't for Netflix, I'd never use the thing because the discs are just too expensive for the difference in quality between DVDs and Blu-Rays.  I love the better quality of a good Blu-Ray, but I'm not going to pay $10-$15 more for a single movie. 

As for why some movies are shoddy transfers, well some film studios just want to rush them out to market for a quick buck.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Red

I'm sorry, but 166mb/min is bad now?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By TheHT

Unfortunately everything but HD content looks like shit on my HDTV, so blu-ray is certainly welcome in my room. If i used the other TV in my house though DVDs would be fine.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jack_daniels
@Eurobum said:

" @Jack_Daniels said:

So if we have the technology now where is the bottle neck? Even brand new movies 
like Slumdog Millionaire only clock in at 30GB. Why not crank it up and give us the least amount of compression possible. I think it's the fat cats in hollywood refusing to spend on dual layer discs so they compress the movie and extras onto a 25 GB-50GB disc, which is total BS.
The bottleneck is computational bandwidth. Combressed data needs to be decompressed, which requires some kind of hardwired chip or processor. A  Netbook or a DVD player can't play BlueRay or anything beyond 10 Mbit/s, because they are too slow processing the data.With uncompressed video the bottle neck would probably be read and write speed. (which is around 50 Mbit/s for an average hard drive).   Using conspiracy theories (read someone's evil intention as an explanation for everything) won't help you understand. "
I never really thought about that. I could see that a cheap blu-ray player would not have the CPU power for that. Wow, after 30+ replies I get a good answer. Thanks again :)
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Eurobum said:

" @Jack_Daniels said:

The bottleneck is computational bandwidth. Combressed data needs to be decompressed, which requires some kind of hardwired chip or processor. A  Netbook or a DVD player can't play BlueRay or anything beyond 10 Mbit/s, because they are too slow processing the data.With uncompressed video the bottle neck would probably be read and write speed. (which is around 50 Mbit/s for an average hard drive).   Using conspiracy theories (read someone's evil intention as an explanation for everything) won't help you understand. "
Actually no.  The bottleneck is the shitty implementation of MPEG-H264 which Blueray's AVC (some BR's even use MPEG2 at stupidly high bitrates and look even worse) and WMV VC-1 uses.  Computers can deal with the data throughput easily (the average SATA drive is 65MB/sec, most newer SATA2 drives in AHCI mode, with NCQ and 32MB cache run even faster and the modern GPU can decode AVC/VC-1 Profile 4.1 entirely in hardware which requires 62.5MB/sec throughput capability).  Their are heaps of laptops and netbooks which come equipped with Nvidia 9400GT GPUs which can do this, let alone full blown PCs with much higher end ATI and NVidia cards as well.  

The problem is that Sony's BluRay uses a crappy implementation of the MPEG-4 AVC codec usually at lower profiles than they should because the majority of BluRay players, including the PS3, have BR drives which spin too slow and read too slow in terms of the laser to be able to handle proper high profile encodes.
Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44  Edited By Termite

I like Blu-Ray. It makes things look quite a lot nicer in my opinion. 

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By Jambones
@Jack_Daniels said:
" Damn you guys would still be watching black and white TV if it wasn't for technophiles like me. "
You mean playing with a stick and a hoop, right? ;-)
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By Tireyo

Meh, I'll stick with DVDs for now.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By CL60
RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By RobotHamster

I'll just watch blurays when its something that would be amazing, other than that yea I'll just pop in a dvd.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By septim

The nice thing about Blu is that it is capable of evolving. Look at the firmware update to enable 3D on PS3. Granted at 50" Blu is not a gigantic leap over DVD, but when I watch on my PJ that's when Blu Ray really starts to shine.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#50  Edited By sjschmidt93
@xyzygy said:
" I have had my PS3 for almost 2 years and I haven't loaded one single Blu Ray into it. DVDs are perfectly fine. "
You do it every time you play a game.