Can our planet be swallowed by a black hole?

• 120 results
misscurious702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By misscurious702

If so what would happen to us? it would be like everything we ever worked for wouldnt matter....

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By pwnasaurus

we would all die.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mylifeforAiur

No. There's no star big enough near us, I'm no expert though^^

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

Everything we've worked for isn't going to matter anyway. Earth won't be around forever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pwnasaurus said:
" we would all die. "
How did you deduce that? It hasn't been proven that anything will die in a black hole. It could be a worm hole for all you know!
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By trophyhunter

Of course it can.
We could all day at any second, but how is that different than any other day?

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By HS21

Don't bring race into this please.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fajita_Jim

Technically, yes. But it depends  upon the mass of the Black Hole. Some postulate that there are sub-atomic black holes all around us, passing through us and through the Earth.

But say a black hole that's billions of solar masses drifts into our solar system. The first thing we'd notice is the outer planets (if they were on the side of the sun that the black hole was coming in at) perturbing in their orbits. We'd notice the stars behind the black hole being distorted (because the gravity of the black hole bends the light around it like a lens) but we wouldn't see the black hole. If it approached close enough to Earth, the first thing that would happen would be earthquakes as the shape of the Earth become elongated. Long before Earth actually reaches the disk of the black hole, the whole planet would be ripped asunder.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mrfizzy

as far as i understand it, if a blackhole got close enough then yeah, we would get sucked into it. however the is no blackhole anywhere near us. As for what would happen if we did get pulled into it, we would be crushed to the size of atoms in a matter of milliseconds. It would be so fast you wouldnt know it had happened. you (and everything else) would simply cease to exist.  

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By pwnasaurus
@EveretteScott said:
" @pwnasaurus said:
" we would all die. "
How did you deduce that? It hasn't been proven that anything will die in a black hole. It could be a worm hole for all you know! "
you cant prove me wrong so it could happen.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By natetodamax
@EveretteScott said:
" @pwnasaurus said:
" we would all die. "
How did you deduce that? It hasn't been proven that anything will die in a black hole. It could be a worm hole for all you know! "
Considering that black holes rip and crush things to nothingness, I'd say that's a fair assumption to make.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
@HS21 said:
" Don't bring race into this please. "
Can I bring sex into this?
Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zithe

No, unless Earth moves unimaginable distances across the universe to a totally different location and just happens to be slung into a black hole's gravity, it is no threat to us. If this happened, we'd already be dead anyway. Point is though, there's no black hole close enough to worry about.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By yinstarrunner

Why wouldn't our planet be able to be sucked into a black hole?  What makes Earth so special that it can defy the laws of the universe?

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Wildfire570
@Video_Game_King said:
" @HS21 said:
Can I bring sex into this? "
Oh boy then this thread would go to places beyond my control!
sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By sagesebas
@misscurious702: Did you ever see that Simpsons episode with the black-hole, it'd more or less go like that. 

EDIT 
 I would play this song on my roof leading up to it 

misscurious702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By misscurious702

ok i didnt mean to say we would die sorry about that but idk i was just curious to know..it be wierd if we could still be alive while in a black whole or something....but not to sure if it would be possible..

misscurious702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By misscurious702
@HS21:  who said anything about race???
Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zithe
@misscurious702 said:
" @HS21:  who said anything about race??? "
He was joking. >.>
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By natetodamax
@misscurious702 said:
Don't take anything he says seriously.
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@natetodamax said:
" @EveretteScott said:
" @pwnasaurus said:
" we would all die. "
Considering that black holes rip and crush things to nothingness, I'd say that's a fair assumption to make. "
Yep. Once we get past the event horizon there's no escaping destruction^^
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheGremp

All 3 of your hard-earned posts would be meaningless!  Oh, the horror!

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By trophyhunter
@natetodamax said:
" @EveretteScott said:
" @pwnasaurus said:
" we would all die. "
Considering that black holes rip and crush things to nothingness, I'd say that's a fair assumption to make. "

Black holes can rip apart light itself.
You don't want to fuck with something that can rip apart  non tangible things.
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@EveretteScott said:
" @pwnasaurus said:
" we would all die. "
The black hole itself is sub-atomic in size (singularity). The effects around the black hole are what most people consider 'the black hole'. However, the 'object' itself is infinitely small and it keeps getting smaller. It's impossible to comprehend but the math is all there.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CL60

I'm not gonna lie. I want the destruction of earth to happen in my lifetime. I wanna be there for the inevitable. Sadly, I think we're still far off.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By BunkerBuster

If games have taught me anything its that It can. The problems is the aliens on the other side who will be really pissed at us for some reason.

PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PISTOLcm

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HS21
@misscurious702 said:
I don't even care that much Mrs. Curious Seven Hundred & Two. But maybe call them "African Americans" instead of just "black", it seems so crude/rude. You probably didn't even say it to offend, but I'm sure you can see how it could be misinterpreted that way. Do you like Vanilla?
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@HS21 said:
" @misscurious702 said:
I don't even care that much Mrs. Curious Seven Hundred & Two. But maybe call them "African Americans" instead of just "black", it seems so crude/rude. You probably didn't even say it to offend, but I'm sure you can see how it could be misinterpreted that way. Do you like Vanilla? "
I've never seen a black person, just as I've never seen a white person. Dark brown / pale pink, sure, but not black and not white.
tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tsolless
@EveretteScott said:
" @pwnasaurus said:
" we would all die. "
What the hell are you talking about? It's a superdense area that compacts everything into itself. Of course you die. Science doesn't use eye sight as the only way to measure things and collect data you know. It is well proven that you would die if you came into contact with a black hole. 

Could it happen? Sure. Would it happen anytime soon? No. We are not near any black holes and we aren't in proper conditions for one to be created. Billions of years down the line? Possible.

This is discussing proper sized black holes that we know exist, not the possible "supersmall" ones.

As to nothing we ever did ever mattering, why not? Purpose is what you define it as for yourself. If you lead a good life, nice job, wife, but were infertile so that your genes wouldn't be passed down, would you suddenly become worthless and not matter? No, of course not. Consider humanity being in the same position. Sounds like you might be having an existential crises.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By BraveToaster
@HS21 said:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tsolless said:
" @EveretteScott said:
" @pwnasaurus said:
" we would all die. "
What the hell are you talking about? It's a superdense area that compacts everything into itself. Of course you die. Science doesn't use eye sight as the only way to measure things and collect data you know. It is well proven that you would die if you came into contact with a black hole.    Could it happen? Sure. Would it happen anytime soon? No. We are not near any black holes and we aren't in proper conditions for one to be created. Billions of years down the line? Possible. This is discussing proper sized black holes that we know exist, not the possible "supersmall" ones.   As to nothing we ever did ever mattering, why not? Purpose is what you define it as for yourself. If you lead a good life, nice job, wife, but were infertile so that your genes wouldn't be passed down, would you suddenly become worthless and not matter? No, of course not. Consider humanity being in the same position. Sounds like you might be having an existential crises. "
I was being silly.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Matter.

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HS21
@EveretteScott said:

" @tsolless said:

" @EveretteScott said:
" @pwnasaurus said:
" we would all die. "
What the hell are you talking about? It's a superdense area that compacts everything into itself. Of course you die. Science doesn't use eye sight as the only way to measure things and collect data you know. It is well proven that you would die if you came into contact with a black hole.    Could it happen? Sure. Would it happen anytime soon? No. We are not near any black holes and we aren't in proper conditions for one to be created. Billions of years down the line? Possible. This is discussing proper sized black holes that we know exist, not the possible "supersmall" ones.   As to nothing we ever did ever mattering, why not? Purpose is what you define it as for yourself. If you lead a good life, nice job, wife, but were infertile so that your genes wouldn't be passed down, would you suddenly become worthless and not matter? No, of course not. Consider humanity being in the same position. Sounds like you might be having an existential crises. "
I was being silly. "
Classic case of "Someone is wrong on the internet, must type lengthy explanation to make things right".    
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By BraveToaster
@Fajita_Jim said: "

I've never seen a black person, just as I've never seen a white person. Dark brown / pale pink, sure, but not black and not white. "

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FunExplosions
@EveretteScott said:
" @pwnasaurus said:
" we would all die. "

A black hole isn't a hole. It's a very small, very dense star. It's so dense that no light can escape its gravitational pull, hence the blackness. Anything to get near it will be obliterated. Here's a star being eaten by a black hole.

Black hole's are rarely discovered in the universe because of their absence of light. Their only stand-out traits are in instances like this, where a celestial body can be seen traveling too close and being sucked into the pull of the black star. There could be black holes near our solar system, but "near" is of course relative to your thinking. Anything close to us would swallow us up quicker than we could even realize what's happening.
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Axxol said:
" @Fajita_Jim said: "

I've never seen a black person, just as I've never seen a white person. Dark brown / pale pink, sure, but not black and not white. "

"

No Caption Provided
tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tsolless
@HS21 said:

"Classic case of "Someone is wrong on the internet, must type lengthy explanation to make things right".    

Only the first couple of lines were discussing black holes existence and nature. The lengthy bit was discussing meaning. 

edit:
Of course, I am "defending my internet honour" here, so make of that what you will.
HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HS21
@tsolless said:
" @HS21 said:
"Classic case of "Someone is wrong on the internet, must type lengthy explanation to make things right".    
Only the first couple of lines were discussing black holes existence and nature. The lengthy bit was discussing meaning. "
You never have to justify anything to me, you have a sweet beard avatar. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FunExplosions said:
" @EveretteScott said:
" @pwnasaurus said:
" we would all die. "

A black hole isn't a hole. It's a very small, very dense star. It's so dense that no light can escape its gravitational pull, hence the blackness. Anything to get near it will be obliterated. Here's a star being eaten by a black hole.

Black hole's are rarely discovered in the universe because of their absence of light. Their only stand-out traits are in instances like this, where a celestial body can be seen traveling too close and being sucked into the pull of the black star. There could be black holes near our solar system, but "near" is of course relative to your thinking. Anything close to us would swallow us up quicker than we could even realize what's happening. "
i refer to my previous post of me stating I was being silly.

I understand  sarcasm/joking isn't the easiest thing to detect in just words. So no worries.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iam3green

i don't think so as there isn't black hole big enough. i do kind of think that if we did it would bring earth somewhere else.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@iam3green said:

" i don't think so as there isn't black hole big enough. i do kind of think that if we did it would bring earth somewhere else. "

Dude, there's a black hole that's plenty big enough right at the center of our galaxy. It's big enough to swing stars larger than our sun around in tight orbits at millions of miles per hour.

Ever heard the term 'Supermassive Black hole'? And I'm not talking about that shitty song from that shitty so-called 'musical group', either.
jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By jack_daniels

No black holes close enough. Even though the universe is expanding, black holes are expanding with it so we aren't getting any nearer any black holes as they are moving away at relatively the same speed. Eventually our sun will go supernova or white dwarf and we will all die. But if we survive the next millennium color me tickled pink!

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By korolev

There are no known black holes anywhere near Earth. Granted, being completely black, they aren't easy to detect - but so far, there doesn't appear to be any threat of any black holes to Earth. The sun is not nearly massive enough to form a black hole after it runs out of fuel.  

If (somehow) a black hole managed to get near Earth, it would depend on the size of the blackhole and how close it passes us by. If we don't fall into the event horizon, nothing happens. If we do cross the Event horizon, you'd be dead without even knowing it.  

In any case, there's no point in worrying about it. It's far more sensible to worry about things like meteor strikes that could definitely occur.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Zithe
@Jack_Daniels said:

" No black holes close enough. Even though the universe is expanding, black holes are expanding with it so we aren't getting any nearer any black holes as they are moving away at relatively the same speed. Eventually our sun will go supernova or white dwarf and we will all die. But if we survive the next millennium color me tickled pink! "

I think the current understanding is that our sun still has almost 5 billion years worth of fuel left, and even then it is not massive enough to cause a supernova. It will still destroy all life on earth, though. But honestly, if we are still here in 4-5 billion years, something will be terribly terribly wrong.
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Korolev said:
" There are no known black holes anywhere near Earth. Granted, being completely black, they aren't easy to detect - but so far, there doesn't appear to be any threat of any black holes to Earth. The sun is not nearly massive enough to form a black hole after it runs out of fuel.   If (somehow) a black hole managed to get near Earth, it would depend on the size of the blackhole and how close it passes us by. If we don't fall into the event horizon, nothing happens. If we do cross the Event horizon, you'd be dead without even knowing it.   In any case, there's no point in worrying about it. It's far more sensible to worry about things like meteor strikes that could definitely occur. "
The gravitational influence of a black hole extends well beyond the event horizon. The Event Horizon is simply the 'point of no return', not the point at which the black hole begins to excert influence.

Hell, even the visible disc of debris swirling around a black hole is outside the event horizon, and it's influence extends even well beyond that disc.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FunExplosions
@EveretteScott said:
" @FunExplosions said:
" @EveretteScott said:
" @pwnasaurus said:
" we would all die. "

Black hole's are rarely discovered in the universe because of their absence of light. Their only stand-out traits are in instances like this, where a celestial body can be seen traveling too close and being sucked into the pull of the black star. There could be black holes near our solar system, but "near" is of course relative to your thinking. Anything close to us would swallow us up quicker than we could even realize what's happening. "
i refer to my previous post of me stating I was being silly.  I understand  sarcasm/joking isn't the easiest thing to detect in just words. So no worries. "
Ahhhhhh, I see, I see...
Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By awesomeusername
@misscurious702 said:
" ok i didnt mean to say we would die sorry about that but idk i was just curious to know..it be wierd if we could still be alive while in a black whole or something....but not to sure if it would be possible.. "
What mrfizzy and Fajita_Jim said. It will rip us and Earth to shreds in the blink of an eye. One second we're doing our daily activities, next second is silence. 

Unless...... 

Aliens save us all!!! o_O Lol, jk. Yeah, we're all doomed. But what everyone else is saying, there is none anywhere near us so we're good.(:
FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By FCKSNAP
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers