Canada Finally Gets An Offical Gamestop Website

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

While not as exciting as that spiny thing, it is still good news.
 While not as exciting as that spiny thing, it is still good news.
For some unknown reason i decided to check out the EB games website when i noticed that they now had a version of the site for Canadians. If your wondering why this is such a big deal it's because while before we could buy stuff from their online store we would have to pay almost literally an arm and a leg in fees for shipping across the border, as they only shipped from the US. Now they have opened a shipping center in Canada so we don't have to worry about paying ridiculous border taxes, but we do have to pay provincial taxes. However it's not all love and roses now as they appear to have a pretty bad markup on the prices of games. I haven't bought anything in a store recently so perhaps these are the standards now, i have been buying games through steam as it is still far cheaper, but it looks like they have a steep mark up on the prices.

From sampling a few prices of the new releases i found that generally: 
  • PC: $54.99-$59.99
  • 360: $64.99- $69.99
  • PS3: $59.99-$69.99

Perhaps those of you who do still buy games from a store could chime in if this in fact the going rate for most new released games. The new site still has some small text glitches as i commonly saw games in the 360 section linking to the PS3, or the PC box art being for the 360/PS3 version as well as linking to them on the main pages or in searches. 

Ether way it's always good to see Canada getting another online store option, as good ones can be hard to find. And it's nice to see that disgrace of a place holder site they had for years finally being replaced with a working online store.

Here Are The Shipping Rates For Canada

Handling MethodRatesDelivery AddressDelivery Information
Express$10.99 for orders up to $75.00Add $1.50 for each additional $75.00Physical Street Addresses OnlyAllow up to 1 business day for processing. Delivered within 2 Business Days after processing.
Standard$4.99 for orders up to $75.00Add $1.50 for each additional $75.00Physical Street Addresses OnlyAllow up to 1 business day for processing. Delivered within 10 Business Days after processing.
P.O. Box$6.99 for orders up to $75.00Add $1.50 for each additional $75.00P.O. BoxesAllow up to 1 business day for processing. Delivered within 10 Business Days after processing.
Jeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jeffery

Good for you canadians,here in Sweden,we've had Gamestop website for a few years now.

Myrmidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Myrmidon

In Canada, milk comes in bags.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Burns098356GX

I've never seen a GameStop up here. I still see EB Games though. Guess it doesn't matter because I avoid those fucking stores like the plague.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

Gamestop is pointless. I use steam for all my PC games which uses US prices so I get games for quite a bit cheaper and I just rent 360 and PS3 exclusives.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By crusader8463
@Burns098356GX said:

" I've never seen a GameStop up here. I still see EB Games though. Guess it doesn't matter because I avoid those fucking stores like the plague. "

EB Games is the same thing. They are owned by the same company but in Canada they still use the EB Games store name in most places.

@Suicidal_SNiper:
Ya that's what i do too, but i got a bunch of gift cards for x-mas to EB Games so i gotta use them on something.
Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Th3_James
@Myrmidon said:
" In Canada, milk comes in bags. "
I love mah milk bags
Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Burns098356GX
@crusader8463 said:
" @Burns098356GX said:

" I've never seen a GameStop up here. I still see EB Games though. Guess it doesn't matter because I avoid those fucking stores like the plague. "

EB Games is the same thing. They are owned by the same company but in Canada they still use the EB Games store name in most places.

Ya I knew that, I just dont know why they dont change the name on their stores. Maybe this website will start the ball rolling so the signage changes.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crusader8463
@Burns098356GX: I don't care ether way as i tend to avoid the stores unless i have no other alternative. Since i game on almost exclusively on the PC i have no need to go to them because of Steam and their cheaper prices. I still like the name EB Games over Gamestop, it just sounds like some cheap gas bar/arcade combo from the 90's to me.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By damnboyadvance

It seems like things in Canada always cost exactly $5 more. Is it just me?

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By pwnasaurus

well i  hate them so i will stick to steam cause its only a million times better
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crusader8463
@Atomasist said:

" @damnboyadvance said:

" It seems like things in Canada always cost exactly $5 more. Is it just me? "
The Canadian dollar is weaker than the American. "
 Ya but they do seem to always just add on $5 or $10 instead of actually bothering to give a fair exchange on the dollar.
Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Huey2k2
@Atomasist said:
" @damnboyadvance said:
" It seems like things in Canada always cost exactly $5 more. Is it just me? "
The Canadian dollar is weaker than the American. "  

The Canadian dollar is 95 cents american at the moment, they are almost at parity. That doesn't equate to a $5-$10 difference on video game prices.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crusader8463
@Huey2k2: For example i can buy Bad Company 2 on Steam for $50 US. Even with the exchange it would come out to like $54 at most, where as the same game on the EB Games website costs $59.99 plus tax and shipping, which comes out to the $70-$80+ range. It just doesn't make any sense, if your service is going to be so much more expensive than you need to lower the prices to compete.
Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Huey2k2
@crusader8463 said:
" @Huey2k2: For example i can buy Bad Company 2 on Steam for $50 US. Even with the exchange it would come out to like $54 at most, where as the same game on the EB Games website costs $59.99 plus tax and shipping, which comes out to the $70-$80+ range. It just doesn't make any sense, if your service is going to be so much more expensive than you need to lower the prices to compete. "
Exactly, it's ridiculous how much extra we end up paying considering the fact that our dollar is almost worth the same as the American dollar is.