Cartoon Network has come to an end

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By AV_Gamer

End of an era folks. Cartoon Network, where shows like Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd & Eddy, and Courage the Cowardly Dog were created. It was also one of the best places to watch hit Anime series outside of Crunchyroll and Funimation, as well as more mature like animations with Adult Swim. Sadly, its all coming to an end... Well, not completely. It will merge with Warner Bros. into something called WB Animation. They claim nothing will change and that people can still get the same shows and features CN had. But you know how things go once corporate takeovers start happening.

So tell me what you think about it Duders?

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

So how long until WB Animation buys Giant Bomb?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think this is a portent of things to come. Cartoon Network was primarily aimed at young people, but people old enough to use streaming apps (as opposed to the Blues Clues crowd) and why would they watch a cable TV network? They get everything through streaming. So moving all this stuff to HBO Max makes sense.

I haven't had cable in over a decade and I don't miss it. It's a relic of a past era and it survives mostly because of sports (which people want to watch as they happen so TV makes sense) and old people who are just used to it.

As for Cartoon Network itself, I remember when it started up and I watched it as a kid but I was a little bit too old to have too many strong memories associated with it. The Powerpuff girls were fine and all but they weren't formational for me like something like Ren & Stimpy or Animaniacs were.

It was cool in the 90s and 2000s before streaming and back when Anime was harder to come by but in 2022 it just doesn't feel like a huge loss so long as the shows live on.

Avatar image for deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f
deactivated-63cd8ec76d97f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sad to hear, but completely unsurprising.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Well, the Discovery people are actively trying to ruin WB & HBO anyways, so I expect this to also go down the crapper. Then again, I haven't watched CN in a decade.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By AV_Gamer

I also haven't watched CN in well over a decade. I get my Anime from other sources if I'm in the mood. Their original shows were okay for the most part, couldn't watch Ed Edd & Eddy because it looked like someone addicted to uppers created it, while Powerpuff Girls and Courage were always fun. And lot of the Adult Swim shows weren't that impressive to me, including Rick and Morty which I never watched and probably never will. But it was the shit in the late 90s early 2000s and for fact there was a channel dedicated to just showing cartoons. For someone who grew up being able to only watch a cartoon segment that ran a couple of hours after school and on the weekends, CN was a big deal. It will be missed, because it will never be the same.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I dunno if I've watched CN in the last 20 years so it's hard to have much of an opinion really.

I guess I would prefer it to just go away than become something worse but then again it probably went through rounds of that in those 20 years.

nickp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nickp

90s and early 2000s cartoon network was king Johnny Bravo, courage the cowardly dog, Dexter, Samurai Jack, Ed, Edd n Eddy, and more

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Well, the Discovery people are actively trying to ruin WB & HBO anyways, so I expect this to also go down the crapper. Then again, I haven't watched CN in a decade.

They are blatantly trying to cut as much spending as possible to appear profitable to attract buyers. The goal after the merger has always been to gut what they can, as quickly as they can, then flip the company to someone else. Comcast seems the most likely at this point. I am tired of terrible news coming out seemingly every day about Zaslav destroying something else. Just sell the company to Comcast and get it over with.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Aw that's sad. Have many fond memories of Dexter's Lab, Cow & Chicken, Ed Edd & Eddy, Courage, Power Puff Girls and Johnny Bravo. Perfect channel to have on before going to school, and when you come back from school.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Undeadpool

I remember my mind being blown the first time I saw Space Ghost: Coast to Coast.

I think I was about the perfect age for that channel, because it started off with old Hanna Barberra stuff that I had little interest in, but being hooked by the original stuff they'd show, like Space Ghost and Cartoon Planet. Then the massive rush of stuff like Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, and Powerpuff Girls (all of which had their creators interviewed by Space Ghost one wonderful episode), and it really felt like a place where new, weird, experimental animation was going to be tried. Which was a breath of fresh air after sitting through the weird, sterile crap that a lot of studios in the '90s had churned out after all the backlash from parents'/religious groups.

And then they launched [adult swim] and stuff got REALLY weird.

End of an era for sure.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't watched it in over a decade, but this makes me sad.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, the last 5 years of Cartoon Network have been pretty incredible with Steven Universe, Adventures of Gumball and especially Craig of the Creek, to name a few. This news is a pretty big bummer for me but now I can finally fully cut the cord.

I had been keeping cable specifically for jeopardy, cartoon network and Oakland A's games. All of which seem to be pretty disappointing right now.

Avatar image for murderdeathmill
MurderDeathMill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WBD seems pretty shitty.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

But... Multiversus is still in beta, right?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By monkeyking1969
@eccentrix said:

With the inevitable crossover of Dan Ryckert withAnimaniacs??

No Caption Provided

DANimaniacs

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By gtxforza

I used to watch Cartoon Network in my childhood, but now these days, I personally don't care about them.

Edit: The only shows I like from Cartoon Network are the Transformers series & Hot Wheels: AcceleRacers.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Undeadpool

@monkeyking1969: I think trying to teach Dan all 50 states might test even the Animaniacs' patience.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: I think trying to teach Dan all 50 states might test even the Animaniacs' patience.

Ouch! Or, maybe, Dan is so surprising and zany he might know all 50 states because of a 4th grade projects he inexplicably remembers.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Undeadpool
@monkeyking1969 said:
@undeadpool said:

Ouch! Or, maybe, Dan is so surprising and zany he might know all 50 states because of a 4th grade projects he inexplicably remembers.

OH MY GOD, that's the better twist. "Of course I can name all 50 states, I'm a proud American! Now let me tell you how to cook egg whites..."

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have good memories of early (mid-90s) Cartoon Network. I think. I have to say, after a simple, naive childhood of Disney, it felt a bit creepy and soulless/cynical to me at the time, with all the sharp edges and intentional ugliness in the art style and weird 90's satire. What happened to the unironic heroic figures who sang songs about their hopes and dreams?

Cable TV was a window into a whole new world. But it was wonderful in its own way.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#27 FinalDasa  Moderator

I have to imagine this would get reversed. Cartoon Network is such a recognizable name for parents and kids. Changing that name for...whatever reason is just one of those big corporation unforced mistakes.

Change for change's sake because it makes it look like you're actually doing something.

imranhashmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By imranhashmi

The best channel that i seen in my childhood is the cartoon network and when I heard a news that the channel is going to close I sad even I'm not watching the channel these days..........

Avatar image for exveganporpoise
ExVeganPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this was posted nine months ago but still, I hope not!!