Difficulty and Length of Games..

alexrubens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Edited By alexrubens

Why does it seem like these day games just get harder and harder, is it because we are getting better and better and we need to stay entertained?  Games like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed when on their hardest difficulty I can barely take 6 steps before being shot into oblivion, yet they base so many of their achievements and unlockables on this difficulty.

Doesn't it also seem like games are getting longer but also shorter? That might not make sense to some but it means "They are getting longer but are keeping the player entertained for a much shorter time period. It might sound a little wierd for me to say this but I never finished Halo 3's campaign mode because I saw how much fun people were having in the Multiplayer, same goes for Gears 1 & 2, and Call of Duty 4 ( I tried to finish it but my friend wanted it back). 

So maybe it is better for games to be filled with content that only lasts 8-13 hours instead of 15-19. This may just be me talking randomly but this is what i feel its gonna come down to.

alexrubens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alexrubens

Why does it seem like these day games just get harder and harder, is it because we are getting better and better and we need to stay entertained?  Games like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed when on their hardest difficulty I can barely take 6 steps before being shot into oblivion, yet they base so many of their achievements and unlockables on this difficulty.

Doesn't it also seem like games are getting longer but also shorter? That might not make sense to some but it means "They are getting longer but are keeping the player entertained for a much shorter time period. It might sound a little wierd for me to say this but I never finished Halo 3's campaign mode because I saw how much fun people were having in the Multiplayer, same goes for Gears 1 & 2, and Call of Duty 4 ( I tried to finish it but my friend wanted it back). 

So maybe it is better for games to be filled with content that only lasts 8-13 hours instead of 15-19. This may just be me talking randomly but this is what i feel its gonna come down to.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By luce

many people think its the other way around..

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

Games are shorter now a days because of high development costs.

Avatar image for deactivated-135098
deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

I tend to disagree. Difficulty is a whole lot more balanced these days -- and by that, I mean easier. It used to be a lot more acceptable years ago for games to be punishingly difficult, which is why developers dumbed down games like Ninja Gaiden II, Resident Evil 5 and Devil May Cry 4 from their predecessors.  Personally, I find this kind of unfortunate, as I enjoyed the immense challenge those games and others offered. They carried the same appeal as hot sauce. Something about playing 'hard mode' just doesn't feel the same as playing on easy and getting your ass kicked, but oh well.

I don't understand your first complaint. Force Unleashed is too hard on the hardest difficulty?

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Verdugo

Well, I just finished Bioshock. And that game is one that involves a lot of substance yet is so immersive that it feels short, and playing on medium (2nd hardest difficulty), the game was not very difficult. But it had some moments of decent difficulty.  

In my opinion, games are actually getting easier. Dying in Bioshock for example has no real consequence, seeing as you respawn at the last checkpoint (called a vita chamber) you passed and you can save at anytime. Factors such as those are examples of how games have become easier. A game like Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox has punishing difficulty even on normal, where simple hacking and slashing is not advised, but actual strategy is needed for fighting enemies of all kinds. Plus, you get sent back to previous save locations after dying, which pushes the player to use caution while playing so that they do not have to redo a certain part of a game after working hard to make progress.  

Don't get me wrong though, not all games are immensely easy these days. The harder difficulty settings in some games can still provide a challenge, Gears of War (1 or 2) on insane mode for example will have you stuck in cover most of the time, seeing as the enemies get a massive damage upgrade in comparison to a lower difficulty such as normal. Literally after 2 or 3 shots you get downed or killed, where on normal it takes about 6 shots from a standard enemy to be downed.  

So games are  mostly  getting easier in my opinion, but there are still hard games out there.
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Baillie

The only hard part on The Force Unleashed is that boss girl on the plant planet, the one that has a big ass monster in the back, and she keeps summoning henchmen, man. That pissed me off.

Let the topic continue.