Do any of you collect/listen to vinyl still?

DrinkBourbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DrinkBourbon

I wouldn't say I am a collector, because most of the records I have are beat up hand-me-downs and garage sale purchases and they are all sitting in cardboard boxes in my closet instead of prominently occupying an entire wall of my living room, but because so much of the music I love comes from the halcyon days of the 12" LP, I rather enjoy listening to records with a cold beer or well mixed cocktail. 

Recently, I have been the beneficiary of a record windfall. My mother in-law is moving from a house to an apartment and needed to unload her late husband's collection, and a family friend was remodeling and I got to cherry pick what I wanted out of their basement. Some of the best I got: 

The Beatles: 1962-1966 Double LP, Get Back/Don't Let Me Down 45 
Uriah Heep: Demons & Wizards, High and Mighty, Return to Fantasy 
Boston: s/t 
Jethro Tull: Songs From the Wood 
Blues Brothers: Briefcase Full of Blues  
Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention: Absolutely Free  
Yes: Close to the Edge 
Styx: Grand Illusion

In total I probably ended up netting 50 LPs and maybe 10 loose 45s, all of which I plan to painstakingly catalog in the coming days.  

Coolest of all, the mother in-law also gave me an ADC Accutrac 4000 that appears to be in perfect working condition (I don't have a preamp to use it at the moment unfortunately). It has s the remote and even the "learn how to use your new record player" record with it. Seems pretty damn cool. I had no idea that there existed record players that you could skip around tracks remotely with, and while I am an absolute whore when it comes to listening to whole albums in their entirety and skipping around seems to defeat the purpose of listening to the vinyl LP instead of just throwing a playlist on my iPod, I am also intrigued by this curious technology and can't wait to see how it works.  

Anyway, I was just wondering who of you may also have stacks of wax laying around. Not trying to start a "vinyl sounds better debate" and not looking to make a sell or trade thread because my collection is for sentimental reasons and the enjoyment of it for me comes with listening to them, handling them and showing them off to friends, not keeping them behind glass until they're "worth something." 

Here are some pictures I snapped with my phone while unpacking all my new goodies .      

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Extreme metal has been a very recent genre for LPs and EPs. Probably because they can put more artwork. I would want to be part of it but I can't commit enough money for it and I enjoy listening off a CD.

Ekasra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Ekasra

I wouldn't exactly say I would collect vinyl, other than a few bands. I have a lot of Oasis singles that were put out on vinyl and when I was younger amassed every LP, Album and Single by t.A.T.u. including the vinyls. Unfortunately my mother got rid of the record player we had in the mid nineties, so I've never listened to them. I would love to hear what any of the Beatles stuff sounded like back then.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By iam3green

no, but my brother still does. there are some right next to me right now.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By oldschool

I have several hundred vinyl records stored away that haven't been played for nigh on 10 years or so.  That is when I last owned a record player.  I really have to get a record player - one that allows me to transfer to my iTunes.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

I live an hour away from hollywood  and I go to the amoeba records that they have there. I pick up vinyl of new artists. The last one I picked up was Give Up by The Postal Service. 

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By buzz_clik

A record is still a very sexy item, and I've got shelves and shelves and shelves of vinyl. Some of it's old stuff for sampling, some of it's newer danceable stuff and the rest is for listening purposes or just random crap I've picked up over the years.

shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By shrig32

I still collect a lot of vinyl. I recently brought a Pro-ject Debut III to play them all on =) My collection is mostly either from local bands, post-rock epics or experimental electronica, though.

DrinkBourbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DrinkBourbon
@oldschool: This is a ridiculous deal.  Amazon link.
Jeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jeffery

I was born 1990.

So no.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By oldschool
@DrinkBourbon said:
" @oldschool: This is a ridiculous deal.  Amazon link. "
Pity it U.S. shipping only.  Still, there are plenty of good turntables around now (they disappeared essentially for quite a while).
EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By EvilDingo

I do... but only if I can pick it up for cheap though. 

I not really into paying "real" money for the novelty of having something on vinyl.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By cinemandrew

Haven't listened to any of them in a while, but I will still pick one up if the mood strikes me, and I'm in an establishment that sells them.

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By pekoe212

My brother is 23 and an avid vinyl collector. Our parents had a great record collection, lots of 60s/70s rock, but the record player broke early in my childhood, so staring at the psychedelic album covers was as far as my exposure to records went.  Later on I felt a little bit cheated out of some important musical culture, remembering all those records just sitting there until they were sent to the basement and subsequently damaged in a flood.  However my brother got really into music and vinyl is his preferred format.  He receives 2 or 3 records in the mail every month, often from Europe. He likes obscure bands, mostly metal, progressive, and experimental electronica can't really be classified stuff. He just bought some new shelves that are just the right shape to hold vinyl. There really is something special about records, they allow for so much more artwork and creative packaging. That is one thing that I really miss with digital music: the tactile and visual experience. There's no artwork, lyric sheets, posters, no feeling that you hold in your hands someone's artistic creation.  Just data on a computer, as easily deleted as downloaded.

count_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By count_zero

I've got a moderate amount of vinyl, but I don't listen to it as much as I'd like. I suspect that once I get my own place I'll start listening to more vinyl or picking up more vinyl.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By diz

I have lots of vinyl and listen to it frequently. I haven't bought any in years though.  

Records still can have superb sound quality, especially with a good deck.  

EDIT: Can I show off my deck?

dk3691

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By dk3691

I actually just recently started collecting vinyl, because they're cheaper (if you get them used), have much nicer-looking artwork and almost always sound better.  Especially for Punk, Classic rock and Jazz.  Just a better bang for your buck overall.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Systech

I've collected a few records, but stopped since I no longer have a working turntable. Recently, I have gotten really close to CDs and now I just want a new turntable.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By diz
@DrinkBourbon:
What a crazy turntable you've got! There is quite a bit of interest in them a curiosities. Be careful of the stylus, since I think its specific to the turntable, being part of the sensor mechanism. That FZ & the Mothers album you listed - is your's a Verve gatefold? Nice haul.
lovecreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By lovecreep

i have a few kind of collecters in good condition... more recent ones... 

siamese single by smashing pumpkins 
hello kitty/roar i am a tiger 7' by HUM 
sundress 7' by HUM 
 a few other they are probably even less known then those
RogueBomber12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By RogueBomber12

i dont collect any, but i listen to my parents old records still. Mostly Neil Young, Cream, Jeff Beck, Stones, tons of Jethro Tull, ELO,  Bad Company, Beatles, The who(Tommy and Quadrophina), and the Eagles.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I have most of my mom's old records: .
Here is my favorite -  Frank Zappa: Joe's Garage Act 1 and 2

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I have some old Black Sabbath vinyls that my dad bought back in the day.
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By ch3burashka

I've recently acquired a fascination with old shit, vinyls being one of them. I am 18, so I've never experienced their majesty, their magic. My plans for the summer is to get a job and buy LP's and vinyls off of craigslist. Along with old video games and a CRT TV. It's a very destructive phase, IMO.