Do trailers spoil movies?

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By foggel

If I have a reason NOT to go to the cinema, it's because of the trailers. They ruin the movies for me.
For example, wolverine.

Also there is a trailer for Shutter Island that just spoiled the whole godamned movie. I haven't seen it yet, but the tension I guess the viewer is supposed to feel in the beginning of the movie must be ruined... man I was looking forward to a new Scorsese movie.

If I go to the movies I cover my ears and look away when the trailers are showing. No joke.

Are there others like me out there? :P
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Xeiphyer

Yeah  I know what you mean, They give away too much information and usually spoil the best jokes in comedy movies. Of course they don't care because it gets you to go see the movie in the theatre. Super lame.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

I don't take very many movies too seriously. Especially the plots because most turn out so bad. So yeah, I just watch the trailers.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By Hamst3r

Yes. They show everything in the trailers. There are no surprises anyways, so it's not like it's a huge loss. Even without seeing the trailer one can often guess what's going to happen in the first 15 or 20 minutes of a film.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Crono

Trailers definitely ruin movies but they save me time and money too.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

They can do I guess, i'm usually oblivious to the movie trailers though. I'm always behind with movies usually watching the latest releases like a year after.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

Definitely. Especially now there's an emphasis in getting the money shot of the film in the trailer to make people go and see it. While i'm pleased I saw the Avatar trailer released yesterday, it does give away a lot of key points.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By flaminghobo

It's going to give some kind of spoiler away, but that can't really be helped in some cases.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Bigandtasty

They sometimes do, but you can't really understand what the spoiler spoiled for you until you watch the entire movie and have the context.

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By tranquilchaos

Yes.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RetroIce4

Really depends on the trailer. Some straight up just ruin it and I wouldn't wanna waste money on it. Some don't and leave me curious.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@foggel said:
"If I have a reason NOT to go to the cinema, it's because of the trailers. They ruin the movies for me.
For example, wolverine.
The trailer shows that wolverine finds his wife cut up.
 Also there is a trailer for Shutter Island that just spoiled the whole godamned movie. I haven't seen it yet, but the tension I guess the viewer is supposed to feel in the beginning of the movie must be ruined... man I was looking forward to a new Scorsese movie. If I go to the movies I cover my ears and look away when the trailers are showing. No joke.  Are there others like me out there? :P"

you should read the book and watch the movie of shutter island anyway. The twist from the book is great.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArchScabby

no.  I just hate it when something is in a trailer that isn't in the movie.  Or they make it seem like something someone said or did is in one scene, when in  the actual movie, It's in a totally different scene. I mean if you wanted it in that scene put it in that scene, or don't make it that way in the trailer goddammit.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#14  Edited By citizenkane
@RetroIce4 said:
" Really depends on the trailer. Some straight up just ruin it and I wouldn't wanna waste money on it. Some don't and leave me curious. "
This.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By KaosAngel

"It was his sled. It was his sled from when he was a kid. There, I saved you two long, boobless hours."

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well I don't consider a movie spoiled because I know some key part or whatever 
but, yes they do give away some things they shouldn't

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Trailers often give a way much more than they should, but if a movie isn't any good, they'll put all the best parts in the trailers (see 2012). I get paranoid about stuff being given away, but honestly movies are much more enjoyable when you don't know anything about them to begin with. This is why I'm avoiding the Avatar trailers.

William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By William
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By foggel
@MarkWahlberg: I've been looking forward to Avatar for a long time, and yeah, until now I've managed to avoid spoilers. I know what an Avatar is, but knowing more would spoil the beginning for me, and possibly the whole movie. 

I saw District 9 without checking out trailers, or reading about it, and I'm glad I didn't. Some say they had been looking forward to this movie and was disappointed when they saw it. I was instantly sucked into the story.

@Godlyawesomeguy:
 I was not aware that this was a book. But then again I don't really read a lot. I've read The Da Vinci Code, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and a couple of lesser known books, though. Since you recommend it I'll check it out.
angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By angelkanarias

answering to you title, yes they do many times.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Cwaff

I went to see zombieland the other day and was able to predict most of the movie through the 2 trailers i had seen...

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By OutOfBounds9000
@Xeiphyer said:
"Yeah  I know what you mean, They give away too much information and usually spoil the best jokes in comedy movies. Of course they don't care because it gets you to go see the movie in the theatre. Super lame. "

True.I just run to the bedroom or the comp when i see a ''Seem to be awesome-movie'' trailer on tv.Then i hold my ears and just go away. 

Yes,when its a trailer for a comedy it mostly spoils the most best jokes. 

I never watch movie trailers.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By penguindust

These days trailers are too often edited to explain the whole movie.  Look at Funny People and tell me you still need to see the movie.  The trailer should have started after the first minute has past, but then they go on and on to tell the rest of the movie's plot.  By the time it's over, I've seen the movie.  I can fill in the ending because, face it, it's Hollywood. 

The second problem with trailers these days is too often they show you all the best bits so later when you see the movie you feel disappointed by the total package.

Finally, there are some trailers which include scenes that are not actually in the movie itself.  This is deceptive and makes me angry when the film is over.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By bubahula

usualy when i see a trailer i dont think it spoils it because its out of context. 
but then i go to see it and i remember certain scenes from the trailer.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By CL60
@William said:
" Like quarantine.
"
Yeah, the original is quite a bit better. I don't even understand why they remade it and it was indeed kinda dumb that they showed the ending in the trailer. The moment that scene came up I knew exactly what was going to happen.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iam3green

no, i don't think so really. it depends on the trailer i guess. i still see the movies if they look like they are going to be good.