Do you need to have a distinctive voice for Voiceovers?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Im a Aspiring voice over artist, but im not sure if My voice is good enough for it. Im taking a voice over class at college, and my teacher did say that she thinks I could do it when I asked her. But im just not sure if my voice is good enough or distinct enough for this business. Im mainly aiming for animation. Ill use a example using some of my favorite voice actors. Vic Migogna, nick bakay, richard horvitz, crispin freeman, tom kenny, adn mark hammil all have distinct and good voices. However, I think mine is kinda generic. it dosent stand out. Do you think taht some people jsut have the voice for it, or is it all about what you can DO with the voice you have?
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dany

Realism is key depending on the product and you may have to keep a low key, if that is your style and you would do great in that. Animation does ask for a more dynamic voice but if your teach think our fine, then go ahead and do it!

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By torus

Can you post a link to a demo? It's hard to judge without actually hearing what you sound like.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jonnyboy

I think you should give it a shot. You'll never be as bad as whoever did the voice work for the Ishimura's computer in Dead Space. Whoever told that bitch she could do a british accent should be shot, it was so bad it was bordering on offensive. I think it stood out so much because your male and female counterpart's voice work in that game was so good.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By AURON570

I don't really notice voice actors when watching anime, no offence to voice actors or artists in general. I think as long as it's believable it's fine, like not obviously reading from a script.

Like when I see anime characters, if I want to know what he sounds like I just watch the anime xD. I guess it's alot harder actually recording for a character, because later on your voice will be the voice everyone's going to associate with that character (even if they don't know it's your voice) o_O...

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ravensword

I didnt ask her if My voice was good for Animation, I just asked her if she thought I could do Voice over or not. She said yes.
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Hamst3r

You have to record and try your voice against video. That's the only way to find out, unless you sound like Mike Rowe or Brad Shoemaker, then you just know.

Vance_Helsing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Vance_Helsing
@Raven_Sword: 

It kinda depends on what exactly you want to do. Commercials? Honestly, it doesn't take all that much to do voice-overs for promos & such. A regular dude with a solid voice and enthusiasm can do the job perfectly. And I'm sure you're regular AND enthusiastic enough to be that person.

Voice-overs for movies or games? That might be harder. I do think that yeah, you need a distinctive flair or sound to your voice in order to succeed. Unless I can hear your actual voice, it's hard to give advice, but I'll give it a shot. Just play to your strengths. Toy around with your intonation, or your phrasing, or even your speed.  Practice until you feel that you've got your distinct "voice". Then just go for it.

Hope this helps.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ravensword

she said (my teacher) that have a quirkyness about me. whatever that means.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Well you got some big competition in the bigger games. For instance, all the noises made by the Infected in Left 4 Dead was done by Mike Patton. And other big games get larger than life actors. Like Ron Perlman or Lance Henricksen.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Geno

A natural sounding voice that sounds like it's from the character is better than a "distinct"-sounding voice that sounds like it's being read from a script. A distinctive voice doesn't help you if the voicework is awkward and forced.