Do you need your smartphone?

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By s10129107

I'm having a hard time financially right now and have decided to save 30 dollars a month and go back to a dumb phone. The only things I used my Iphone for was Pandora, and occasionally for the map. I just got screwed over by the insurance company and decided it just wasn't worth it.

So, do you need your smart phone. What are the essential programs that you run on it. What do you use it for the most. Is it worth the 30 dollars a month to you?

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

Well, technically no, but it's a huge help. When I'm commuting I can check train and bus times, keep track of my appointments, stay on top of news, see what's trending on twitter, find places around me in new areas on so forth. I'm training to be a journalist so these are all useful things to have. Sure, these are all things that were already possible in one form or another, but it's extremely useful having these things in one place. I can't imagine going back.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#3  Edited By StarvingGamer

I don't NEED need my smart phone, I don't use it for much outside of maps, Chrome, and a KenKen app. But I am constantly using it to look things up when I'm out and about, especially stuff like recipes when I'm trying to figure out what to buy at the grocery store. Since I'm always eyeballing the meat section for a good deal, I usually have no idea what protein I'm going to be working with until I get there. With my phone, if I see there's a particularly good deal on ground Italian sausage and some markdown basil and mushrooms because they're about to expire, I can use the internet to cobble together a meal plan and make the necessary purchases.

Also the Steam app comes in handy since I seem to always be out of town when a big Steam sale hits.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Strife777

You know, there's a lot of things in life you don't "need". A smartphone is one of them. It can be immensely useful, but if you barely use it for anything other than phonecalls and you're also having financial problems, might as well ditch it.

vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By vivek

I will admit that I do procrastinate a lot more since getting an iPhone, but the pro's out weight the cons.

Pro's

• Email
  • Spotify
  • Camera/Photo's
  • Calendar
  • Maps/Navigation
  • (some) Decent games
  • Podcasts - Downcast is my App of choice
  • Browsing the web - Chrome
  • Whatsapp - free messaging across platforms
  • iMessage/Facetime/Skype - My parents called me, no charge, today whilst holidaying in Mauritius, to say happy Diwali!

Con's

• Expensive hardware
  • Expensive Contracts
  • When it breaks you feel as if you lost a limb.

I do sometimes part with my phone so im not staring at it 24/7 but when I need info on something its an amazing bit of technology to have in your hand.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Brendan

I'm starting to work in sales, and it's pretty essential for stuff like email, usin ta interwebz, other company online functions that I'm pretty sure I shouldn't write about (it's not evil or anything). It's a mini portable computer that makes calls, and it's how to do business these days.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scooper

I don't need to eat bacon sandwiches but you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands before I give them up!

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Butler

No, throw off your shackles.

I feel like being crotchety and a Luddite today.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By crusader8463

Despite doing tech support for them as a job I don't own one or have any desire to own one. I know! I love the irony as well. I just have no need for one. I'm ether at home in front of my computer or at work. When at work you can't use them as they are not allowed on the floor and when I'm home I'm at my PC and can do anything you can do on one ten times better. It's not worth $60 a month for the one or two times it would be useful to call ahead to the pizza place to order a pizza rather then wait 10-15 min when I get there or to check the price of something online when at a store. Those are the only two times in recent memory I have been in a situation in my life where I thought it would have been handy to have one.

If I ever move out on my own I would probably get a cheap one instead of a home phone as it's only another $20-$30 a month for one. Other than that though I don't see me ever buying one.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheHumanDove

I need my smartphone. It has helped me out wayyy too many times to count.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SSully

It is helpful, but I dont need it. It is basically a calander, email, and twitter machine for me. Also it has been a huge help for maps on numerous occasions, but I could live without it. Still, I wont live without it.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By zeforgotten

Nope.  
I have my home phone for important calls and my PCs for just getting in touch with friends and family to set up dinner plans or going out or just hanging out.  
The only thing my "Smart" phone is doing right now is.. having the ringtone changed from time to time. 

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By ki11tank

need is a tricky word.. i mean i need shelter, food and water.

in todays world though yes i need my phone, would give up a lot of other things before my phone. it makes work so much easier, can communicate and read work news anywhere and that's awesome. i use email, text and twitter all for work (there are some surprisingly sophisticated tweets out there, it's not all about what sandwich someone had for lunch). if not for my career though i guess i'd be single and a shut in video game dork so then i wouldn't need it, but i digress.

Laurentech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Laurentech

Nope. I don't have a phone at all (besides a home phone). I plan on keeping it that way.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kerned

Need? No. But I can't live without it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never even owned one.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've got a dumb phone, I haven't upgraded because doing so would cost me money. I barely call anyone and have unlimited texting so my phone bill is next to nothing and I'd like to keep it that way. I'd love to have a smart phone just to have something to do when I'm bored at work or whatever, but I can get along without one just fine.

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SargeGulp

If you need it for work than you need it. But I prefer the Dumbphone+ipodtouch combo.

iphones look sweet, it would combine two devices for me. But those contracts are fully retarded.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By RobotHamster

Don't even have one and don't feel the need for one. Don't use social sites and I have the patience to wait to get to my pc to check mail and stuff, and not having to to pay all that extra money either is a plus for me.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By nintendoeats

Nah, though having ready access to the internet can be very useful if you need to look up an address of something. I often consider switching back to my Nokia 8800. It's pretty and small and the battery lasts forever.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JJOR64

I don't really need one, but they are very, very nice to have.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CaLe

I don't need any phone.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By Nev

I've never owned one, and feel pretty all right about it. I wouldn't dislike owning one, but I don't personally have any need.

Flubagalub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Flubagalub

I don't need a smartphone, man. I can quit anytime I want.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Phatmac

I don't need it..... BUT I DO NEED IT.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Philantrophy

It makes life easier, like socks.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nadril

Technically no. But in all honesty I use the "smart" parts of my smartphone more than I use the "phone" parts of it.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By uhtaree

I wouldn't need one if everyone else didn't have one. I was late to the party (finally got one a couple months ago) but I felt like a second class citizen since about 2010.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By GeekDown

No, I don't. But it's really handy to have the internet in your pocket. I had the dumb phone and iPod Touch combo up until a year ago and I did just fine.

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Silvergun

It's sort of like when I got broadband for the first time. It would really suck not having it.

bucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bucifer

I like owning a smartphone and it's got me out of a lot of messes:

getting lost,

reminding me of friends birthdays just as I'm about to call them,

allowing me to check wikipedia and show people how full of s*** they really are

So, yeah, it makes my life better, now I don't have to use my brain as much.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By psylah

Don't need it, I would catch up with my reading on my train commute without it.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I can't believe I'm saying this, but yes, I do. Without my Galaxy S3 I wouldn't handle life in Jerusalem as a new student. I've only had it a month and it's radically changed my life! Radically. That's a big word.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Doctorchimp

Yup.

Sending files and images for work and projects makes it mandatory.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By iam3green

no, as i have a dumb down phone. i do want to get a smart phone because there have been times where i had nothing to do at work. i just stood around doing nothing.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sirdesmond

A smartphone is definitely not a NEED for most people. That said, it is well worth the money for me. I use Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Podcasts and text messages commonly. Other than that, most of the apps I use are only occasional really.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Slay3r1583

I've got a six year old dumbphone that I barely use. I'd like to get a smartphone for internet stuff but data plans just seem ridiculous to me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39  Edited By Justin258

I don't need it, no, but it is helpful at times and I like it. It's a great convenience.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have one. I wish I had one simply to use Grooveshark on the go and mobile internet access would be nice. Also because there are literally no good basic phones available from Verizon anymore.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By hawkinson76

No. but my daily bus ride would suck without it.

Trainer_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Trainer_Red

I plant my iPhone in my GF's car and keep track of where she goes through iCloud while i'm working. So hell fucking yes I need it.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ProfessorEss

I don't have one, so yes.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kgb0515

I don't need it, but I feel like I'm becoming overly dependant on it. I was driving in an unfamiliar city not long ago, and my battery died while I was without a car charger. I almost freaked until I realized I could just stop for directions or buy a map like in the olden days. It was actually pretty refreshing to plot a course the truly analog way.