Do you train?

• 91 results
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

I'm wondering because I admit I have prejudice towards gamers in that I had always thought they didn't train/work out. I'm only now aware of that. Do you train? If so how many times per day/week/month (whichever applies best)? I do mean actual training, not activity in general. Going for a walk or cycling to work and all that doesn't count.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

How does cycling to work not count?

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

I train UFC.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

every day, mentioned in one of the other threads, but I think I do the "actual training" thing, run 5-6 miles a day, to help build a surprising amount of upper body muscles I started running with small hand weights, gradually bumped up the weight on them over the months and can complete that distance with 7 pound weights now. I am not really training for anything or anyone in particular. I just have found it as an effective way to challenge myself and the adrenaline/high you get from a strong workout is great, clears the mind and helps with focus. This whole exercise thing isn't as complicated as they make it seem. the calorie count on packages is always there, pay attention to serving sizes and do some type of exercise each day. When I first started in july I was only able to run a quarter of a mile before feeling like I was exhausted, I was the definition of out of shape. I think your preconceived notion may have some truth but I believe you will find a large number of giant bomb users who lead a very active life style that would qualify as "actual training".

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nope

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

My body is a slowly decaying monstrosity.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By falserelic

I usually train my body everyday. Though lately I've kinda been in depression mode and slacking off. Anyway I'll go to the gym and do an hour of Cardio on the elliptical, though you'll never catch me doing this kind of training.

Loading Video...

I got nothing but respect for the guy in the vid, but this vid is just weird. You could say he was trying to become a saiyan, or he imagine bustin the greatest nut of his existence, but regardless I don't see myself doing this. Unless I really feel like screaming for some odd reason.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boxing 3-4 times a week. No weight lifting though...don't really like that

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Run on a treadmill for an hour a day not on weekends. I'm just sort of in it to lose weight, people keep telling me to build up muscle but... no, I'm not going to use that shit. I have not much need for muscle, maybe once I reach my target weight of no longer being a fatty I might feel differently, but right now I just want to burn off not add on.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TruthTellah

You're darn right I do.

Gotta train every day if I wanna be the best, like no one ever was.

No Caption Provided
boysef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lifted for around 4 years then moved to a pretty rural area in NH and fell out of training for about a year. been staying as active as possible though, biking and such. Hoping to get back into it relatively soon. I find that gaming and training kinda go hand in hand for me. Train to stay energized and then I game at night to relax and decompress afterward.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

If my train you man go to a gyme and do a set workout, then "Yes". If you mean do I have some strength/fitness/race/contest goal besides good health then, "Nope."

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find this funny, because a guy at work was in disbelief that I workout, said something like " come on, you play videogames, you shouldn't be working out..) had to laugh.

I train/workout twice a day Monday to Friday and once on Saturday for an hour to two. Jogging, weights etc..

My diet has been kinda iffy lately, but I normally keep the calories down, my day(s) off are normally Friday evening and Saturday...

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

In the winter I usually do, rest of the year I'd rather be outside doing stuff, walking my dog, etc.

I haven't been even once this winter though, busted my wrist in January, it's been fine for a few weeks now but I've just been too lazy to go.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did in high school, but then my career took over and there just isn't time anymore. I do bike to work though, that offers a good uphill climb.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Sooty

No but judging from all the XL+ requests in the PAX t-shirt thread, a lot of people here might want to start.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By csl316

Strangely, this topic has come up multiple times lately. I usually exercise between 30 minutes to an hour and a half a day. When I'm off work and it's nice out, I'll thrown in a bunch of biking and swimming.

I have no end goal, but since I'll be 30 in a year and a half I want to stay healthy.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Wolfgame
@sooty said:

No but judging from all the XL+ requests in the PAX t-shirt thread, a lot of people here might want to start.

Well I can only speak on what has worked for me, but if any one can think of a way to motivate the community concerning getting more active/healthy I would love to be apart of that.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame: Out of curiosity how many calories would you say you take in daily? After losing about 7st I still take in the 1,200 I was when losing weight and running 3 miles a day with 20 mins on sit ups and weights I feel constantly exhausted. do you find as you run greater distances you've upped the intake?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame said:
@sooty said:

Well I can only speak on what has worked for me, but if any one can think of a way to motivate the community concerning getting more active/healthy I would love to be apart of that.

Yes indeed, I can't imagine being such a size, it must be taxing on one's confidence and self-image, duders should get on that.

I am naturally a skinny **** no matter what I eat, but I will start going to the gym in the long break from university this year just for general fitness and a project of sorts.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Wolfgame

@wampa1: I track calories very closely, I use myfitnesspal for IOS to catalog my intake. I typically don't deviate from a range of 1400-1500 calories a day. I would recommend a serving of Whey Protein before each exercise, and Ensure has a range of high protein shakes that are good also. I know the first few months of exercising when I was initially pushing to run further I would be pretty tired, but I can say that the most important thing for me was maintaining that consistent pace, the range I have to run to get exhausted now is about 7 miles, I think you will find as your body gets more acclimated to your work out routine you will find the feelings of exhaustion aren't nearly as prevalent. Obviously there are a lot of factors on calorie intake, I am 6'1 so 1200 calories would be quite low for me, it's important to consider those types of factors also.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I workout 3 to 4 days a week for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I do full body workouts with weights or circuits. I try to focus on 2 sections a workout. Chest and Arms, Legs and Abs, Shoulders and Back. I don't do much cardio but I do high intensity training, so spirits, rowing, biking or jump rope. It's something to get my heart rate up quickly and burn fat. Coupled with working out I do my best to eat healthy high protein meals, veggies, plenty of water, little sugar, moderate carbs and 6 to 8 hours of sleep.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame: Yeah I've been treadmill running for just over a year now, the fatigue has only set in the past 2 months, I do three miles at 8mph in about 24mins each morning so it's not like I'm running anywhere near as much as you. Thanks for the advice!

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@wampa1 said:

@wolfgame: Out of curiosity how many calories would you say you take in daily? After losing about 7st I still take in the 1,200 I was when losing weight and running 3 miles a day with 20 mins on sit ups and weights I feel constantly exhausted. do you find as you run greater distances you've upped the intake?

If you are aiming to lose weight, you should consider doing it properly. That is relatively slowly, but healthy. I do not know you as a person, so I can't say, but if any of my clients are a good indication: 1200kcal is too low to lose weight in a healthy manner. Your complaint of feeling constantly exhausted is a sign of that. You need a certain amount of nutrients every day and getting them within 1200kcals is possible, but really, really hard. It's best to just eat more and more frequently while also increasing training time. Or supplanting some with types that are more effective. For example, replacing the 20 min of ab exercises with 15-20 min of interval training or running/cycling.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I run a 5k on the treadmill four days a week and lift in the off days. I do not control my calorie intake beyond a general rule of "no seconds at meals."

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go to the gym everyday. Fitness is very important to me.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Weights already off clocking in at about 10-10 and a half stone now from the 17-18 I was at last January. I'm on maintenance now, just can't let go of the 1,200 cal diet without feeling I've overeaten which then causes me to do an extra run. (According to a rough estimate I eat 1,000-1,200 and burn 500)

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Well for the past year I've been exercising to lose weight and just feel better. But I wasn't really training. Until my boss informed me we are doing a 5k mud run. So now I'm training for that.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: @wampa1:

including zevvion in reply cause he seems much more knowledgeable than me on correctly dieting. But, wampa I would suggest calculating your BMR over here . I think you will see that in the course of the day, even inactive your body is relying on your calorie intake and losing some of what you take in, when you consider that on top of your exercise it could explain the feelings of exhaustion.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@sooty said:

Some people have to wear XL+ sizes because of their height. I basically have to choose between baggy clothing or flashing the bottom of my torso all the time.

helvetica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By helvetica

The last few weeks I've been training to get my 5K speed back. I've been to physical therapy for Achilles Tendonitis, and with not running and the holidays, I have gotten nice and plump. I can't stand treadmills but they're my only option right now for speedwork, so I've been running on those a bit. I'm doing 30-35 miles a week / 5 days. Once spring rolls around I'll go up to ~50 miles / week, and if all goes well, 70-80 miles / week for summer. Going to try to stay away from the longer race distances this year and stick with 5/10Ks this year to help my tendons recover.

My diet is an absolute disaster; I get so hungry with all the running! Plus I love potato wedges. So delicious.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

Some people have to wear XL+ sizes because of their height. I basically have to choose between baggy clothing or flashing the bottom of my torso all the time.

I'm 6ft and an American sized medium shirt still goes way below my torso, maybe there's some 7 foot monsters on here.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TRAIN YOUR BRAIN SON

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Yeah, working out and lifting heavy ass boxes at work should count for me.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By Hunter5024

@sooty said:

@hunter5024 said:

@sooty said:

I'm 6ft and an American sized medium shirt still goes way below my torso, maybe there's some 7 foot monsters on here.

Maybe most of your height is in your legs or something? Regular sizes go below my waist normally, but if I'm sitting down or bending over or lifting up my arm at all I'm showing skin, and I'm only 6'2.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

I am a marathon runner so I have been training for my next marathon which is end of April. It has been tough with all the snow and ice this winter to run outside, but I have been planning my runs around it. I have been using a different training method this time too by running more days, running longer for those days and incorporating recovery runs (this plan: http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/marathon-advantage?page=single). It has been going pretty well so far, not too tough, just tired after a tough run but that is expected. Also have been starting to lift weights too so I have a weight set in the basement but haven't done anything too regular yet.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't. Just don't see the point in it.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can understand most any argument people can make for not taking the time to exercise, I am just a college student, but I am trying to get a solid exercise routine strongly integrated with my daily routine. I can understand people saying they are unable to find the time to exercise. I think devil's point bothers me because the benefits of exercise on your mental and physical health are astoundingly clear. It is practically the only thing doctors unanimously agree on as suggested for most normal adults to maintain healthy living. I mean if you don't at least see the point of staying active I don't know what to tell you. It's one thing to be unable to find time to exercise, its another to be ignorant of the benefits.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame said:

@devil240z said:

I can understand most any argument people can make for not taking the time to exercise, I am just a college student, but I am trying to get a solid exercise routine strongly integrated with my daily routine. I can understand people saying they are unable to find the time to exercise. I think devil's point bothers me because the benefits of exercise on your mental and physical health are astoundingly clear. It is practically the only thing doctors unanimously agree on as suggested for most normal adults to maintain healthy living. I mean if you don't at least see the point of staying active I don't know what to tell you. It's one thing to be unable to find time to exercise, its another to be ignorant of the benefits.

I guess I get enough exercise just doing normal things. I get plenty of exercise I just don't do it on purpose.

TheMessiBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheMessiBeast

I go to the gym once a week for upper body stuff mostly, and then I play obscene amounts of high level Ultimate frisbee to keep my legs and cardio strong. I used to hate the gym and weights, but now it's become something I genuinely look forward to. For a couple of hours a week it's nice to be able to just zone out, push heavy stuff around, and then feel good about it after (and play my usual post-workout Far Cry 2).

My advice for anyone who dislikes going to the gym is to find a buddy (if possible someone who knows more than you do about it). Only when I started going with a good friend of mine did I realize how inefficient I was while working out. Not only does it makes things harder and much less enjoyable, it also gives less results (which can be pretty demoralizing).

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I try my best to stay as healthy as I can. I'm not always consistent, but I do try and exercise at least a few times each week.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, at 400x normal gravity.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mikey87144

I trained so much I burned myself out. I was lifting for 1 hour a day and then running for 30 minutes. I lost the weight but somewhere along the line my resolve went with it. I need to go back cause the weight is starting to creep back.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every second day to the gym and I've been swimming for years now at least once a week. Even trying to stay fit honestly makes you feel better about yourself. My sweet tooth for chocolate will eventually be my undoing though =/.

Vladd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basketball as a kid, MMA when I was like 20+ but nothing now because of a "busted" knee.

Don't like lifting weights, but as I get older I might have to start doing it ;D.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

@wolfgame said:
@sooty said:

Yes indeed, I can't imagine being such a size, it must be taxing on one's confidence and self-image, duders should get on that.

I am naturally a skinny **** no matter what I eat, but I will start going to the gym in the long break from university this year just for general fitness and a project of sorts.

This could be just my 20-year-old metabolism speaking, but if there's one piece of advice I'd give to everyone, regardless of what age or weight, its to kick the soft drinks (outside of parties/social events of course). Everybody seriously underestimates how full of sugar they are, and once you kick them, its actually pretty easy just to continue drinking water whenever you're thirsty. I'm really glad I did.

(Sorry if I come off as a pretentious ass here)

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I work out, yup.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers