Do you visit Comic Vine?

• 63 results
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll Do you visit Comic Vine? (403 votes)

On a regular basis 6%
Occasionally 19%
Never/almost never 75%

I was just checking out Comic Vine - the new Giant Bomb site changes made me curious about what's going on over at the other site. Certainly not a place I would normally visit, but it's interesting checking out a parallel universe of Giant Bomb every now and then.

Anyway, I'm interested to see if there's much of an overlap between Giant Bomb and Comic Vine users. I briefly looked over the forums and I barely saw any familiar names. Also, battles, lots of battles.

• 
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By GunstarRed

I used to a lot more when there was a link to it on the front page.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I visit it if I feel the need to read up a bit more on a specific character (usually to do with if they have a film coming up or something like that) but I've never really browsed there.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no and i honestly forget it exists. i think i went there once to look up a girl that was on an unprofessional fridays episode, but she had since left the site. i like comics and all. i own quite a few graphic novels. i just dont need to be up to date on that stuff and i dont think i know enough have anything to contribute to that community.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comics are for jerks

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I have no interest in comics whatsoever, so no.

I mean, I've been there once or twice just to see what's up, but I didn't stick around for long. I think there's someone there with over 100,000 posts, which makes me feel better about myself.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

Nope. Even if I were into comics, I don't think I'd find their forums appealing either, given that they're mostly swarmed with battle-threads or inane junk ''what are you thinking about xDDDD'' threads, which is why you've got users with about 100K posts on there...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By TheHT

I don't actually. I used to back in the Whiskey days but I just sort of forgot about it. I did always enjoy going there when a new comic book movie was coming out and they'd run a feature on a trailer or whatever, trying to suss out what they can from their knowledge of comics. There were other features I liked as well, but yeah, I just sort of forget about it.

It used to be when you'd scroll down here, all (or a couple) of the affiliated websites were linked there, and Gamespot still is (which is how I end up at Gamespot most of the time). But hey, there are a bunch of comic book movies coming out and the name's back in my head, so maybe I'll remember to check em out more often. I do remember no swearing being allowed, which I found slightly off-putting.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By SMTDante89

I went there a lot late 2012 into sometime in the summer last year, but haven't been there since. Main reason was to get some information on The Dark Knight Returns and the entire Flashpoint stuff (the former just because, the latter to understand it a bit more and so I wouldn't be too confused if I saw that animated movie that came out last year)

I went there for the wiki though, and I occasionally watched the features they had up too, but I never touched the forums.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Humanity

When it was linked on the front page I'd check it out once in a while if the artwork interested me. With no link to remind me it even exists I have little reason to go yonder.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#10  Edited By Kidavenger

I like comics quite a bit, but I don't really care too much about comic book news and the community over there is probably the least interesting online community I've ever come across.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti

I've actually visited the sister sites quite frequently when the entire Whiskey media team all worked together in the same basement. There was a lot of crossover going on and complimentary features. It was fun hearing something about a new movie or comic trivia on a live show (and Ryan was into that as well) and then going to check out some piece of lore on Comicvine or movie reviews on Screened or some cool tech on Tested. When everyone worked together it was both easy and incentivised. After the split of the sites there rapidly became no point and no hooks to do that. It also made all the their individual communities more diverse by cross pollination.

Maybe the move was good for GB and Tested overall. And maybe that was always the plan of the head business dude, fine. But that doesn't mean that something unique and interesting didn't die that day.

Sadface.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By probablytuna

I check it out occasionally, but not very often after they split from Whiskey Media.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I hate comic books.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

Also as a male I can't deny that part of me visited Comic Vine because of Sara Lima.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Totally. Probably my favorite comic book resource on the internet. Not active on the forums or anything, but as someone who consumes a lot of comics on a monthly basis, it's nice to have a go-to solution for questions I might have about release dates or writing team changes. So on and so forth.

Regular basis.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I go there fairly regularly. I may not like comics as much as video games but I'm always down for a good story with some great art. I truly disliked comics in the 90s simply because of where they were creatively but they have been markedly improved since then. It wasn't until getting into The Walking Dead and Preacher trade paperbacks in the late 2000's that I jumped back into comics and Comicvine has been an invaluable resource in my current reading habits. Obviously you can't read everything (or play everything for that matter) so it's nice to have a review site with a good podcast to keep me abreast of recent shake ups for the iconic characters in the mainstream universes. The community is certainly a bit insufferable sure but it's become easy to just ignore them.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ZolRoyce

No but I do subscribe to their (and Tested's) YouTube channel, I enjoy watching/re-watching the old Happy Hours where they have the segments they were on, that was fun, but I'm just not enough into their personalities or comics in general to go to that website, occasionally though they put up a video that peaks my interest and that's nice.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coafi said:

comics are for jerks

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not at all.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I used to when Sara was still there. I liked it a lot more when there was more than one personality there.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've actually visited the sister sites quite frequently when the entire Whiskey media team all worked together in the same basement. There was a lot of crossover going on and complimentary features. It was fun hearing something about a new movie or comic trivia on a live show (and Ryan was into that as well) and then going to check out some piece of lore on Comicvine or movie reviews on Screened or some cool tech on Tested. When everyone worked together it was both easy and incentivised. After the split of the sites there rapidly became no point and no hooks to do that. It also made all the their individual communities more diverse by cross pollination.

Maybe the move was good for GB and Tested overall. And maybe that was always the plan of the head business dude, fine. But that doesn't mean that something unique and interesting didn't die that day.

Sadface.

I agree with the overall sentiment about the loss of Whiskey Media, but I never got the sense that the communities cross-pollinated that much. Anime Vice and Comic Vine especially seemed to be off doing their own thing. There did seem to be some crossover of users/readers between Giant Bomb and Tested.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Almost never, although I do enjoy reading comics occasionally. The few times I've been there are to look up info about characters or see how many volumes there if I have started reading a comic. I'm glad the site exists though, I'm sure it's great for comic fans.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

Like many have said, losing the cross-link on the bottom ended my occasional visits.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Aetheldod

Not since Whiskeypocalypse

:( what a sad day indeed

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ltsmash

I've got nothing against Comic Vine, but I get my comics info from other sites (Bleeding Cool, Comic Geek Speak, etc.).

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I wasn't that active there, way more with adding to the wiki than the forums, at least, but I pretty much left when Sara did like a lot of other folks here, apparently. Tony seems like a really nice and knowledgeable dude, but he's just a bit too camera awkward and dull (this sounds more offensive than I mean it to!) to hold my interest.

Also, after I was really disappointed by DC's new 52, I lost a ton of interest in mainstream comics in general. That part probably wasn't CV's fault.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@bisonhero: Yeah for sure it was mostly between Tested and GB, but there was at least some between the other sites too and imo any diversity is better then none.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

They have a really detailed wiki, so if I ever want to spoil the plots of comic book movies I can read up on the various storylines that they're drawing inspiration from, or if I want to learn about embarrassing D-tier X-Men (the D stands for Dazzler) I'll give it a look. Otherwise no. Even back in the Whiskey days I thought that Tony and Sara weren't super great in front of a camera.

Also: I think comic books are sort of dumb.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I visit it if I feel the need to read up a bit more on a specific character (usually to do with if they have a film coming up or something like that) but I've never really browsed there.

Exactly what I do. Seems like it's a pretty regular occurrence with the plethora of comic book movies coming out these days.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I've been there a number of times that I can count on one hand, and it was to look up the plot of a specific comic each time. The wiki looks okay from the small amount I've seen, but the forums seem completely awful and I'm not interested in keeping up with THE LATEST SCOOPZ on new comics.

HeinrichS_3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HeinrichS_3000

I used too Myself. And I still use it for comic character info. It's a great site But I left the forums. The people on that site just argue with each other even if they're in agreement.

Too sad of a life to live in a basement and argue with other nerds. The Video Game crowd has it's bad spots but the community is much better than the Comic community.

Anyways the worst of them are the Star Wars nerds. Now I love Star Wars but dude...Go in the battle forums. Some of those guys are so serious they will debate You for weeks on end and go to great lengths to prove that You're wrong. They can't possibly have full time jobs.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NMC2008

Nope, never, i'm not into comics or manga or Anime outside of about 5.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By pr1mus

Well sometimes i google something about a comic book character and if the 2nd or 3rd link is Comic Vine i occasionally click on it.

That would be almost never.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By TobbRobb

I've been there twice. Both times to look at Ryan's Spaderman account's biography.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I visit Comic Vine for all of my comic-related needs.

...which are actually few and far between. I think I was there last when the Dark Knight Rises was coming out to answer the question "Who the fuck is Bane?"

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

CV's an interesting site. Those guys use their forums in ways that I've never seen any other site come close to.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

they still have that beautiful wiki, and I'm a comic book nerd, so yes I visit them occasionally.

mikethekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CV fell off hard.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In that year and a half where I got really into comics I regularly visted Comic Vine. I like the stuff Tony does with artists, and the podcast is alright too (especially when Tony gets cool creators like Scott Snyder on the other podcast.) Eventually I soured on comic books though, and since I don't read them any more I no longer have much of a reason to visit. Now I only go there when they link to an article I'm interested in on Facebook.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#42 gamer_152  Moderator

I haven't been there in a very long time. I might check in on them soon.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Not at all.

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like comics a lot but talking about battles doesn't interest me in the slightest and that is 99% of the discussion over there.

tomobedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I´m really into comics again, Saga is pretty great, Fatale too, love me some Brubaker- Phillips comic, image has some pretty good comics going on right now, i´m about to star reading Lazarus too, and for my dose of over the top comics witch doctor is pretty fun, not many super heroes lately i maybe start reading the new hawkeye series, and i read some good things about rucka´s punisher and waid´s daredevil, but i don´t really visit comic vine too much or any other comic book realted webs, except the colums from comic book resources pretty good reading material there

Your_Mom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a regular basis. I'm starting to hate it and the users and especially the mods.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Much like GB, it's far from perfect, but I've made many friends there, so I spend more time at CV.

Your_Mom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Nope, I have no interest in comics or superheros for that matter.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers