• 75 results
#1 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Footy is a great sport but a lot of you guys don't seem to know about it! I was wondering how many of you guys actually watched it, and if you don't or have never heard of it I suggest you watch a game or two, see if you can get a grasp on the rules. If you have any question I'm sure me or another Australia will be able to assist you in learning. Here is a clip -

So guys, did you understand it, like it, already know about it? Let me know!

PS: Game starts at 2:12.

#2 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I can say with complete confidence that I have no idea what the fuck is going on but I am strangely intrigued.

#3 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

Don't really like it. I don't really like rugby either tbf. More of a football/american football dude.

#4 Posted by Obsidian (346 posts) -

I think they had some of these matches on ESPN2 years ago and I thought they were entertaining but I never got that into it. I thought by the AFL you meant Arena Football League though.

#5 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@Obsidian said:

I think they had some of these matches on ESPN2 years ago and I thought they were entertaining but I never got that into it. I thought by the AFL you meant Arena Football League though.

Nope, Australian Football League. ^__^

#6 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

I know what AFN is.  

#7 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

I need to get out more, When reading your post i immediately thought of FOOTY

No I don't know what it is nor do I understand the rules.

#8 Posted by hoossy (933 posts) -

Is that Buster from Arrested Development at 2:31?!?

#9 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

Australian Football League? Meh, I can't even be assed to watch Premier League or Ligue 1 these days. I just tune in for major tournaments. Pro football isn't what it used to be though.

#10 Posted by Swoxx (2993 posts) -

Isn't there a band called AFL?

#11 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

I knew of it, but I know none of the rules or anything. I think it's quite similar to rugby right? Since they only play it in Australia it seems like a hard sport to have any interest in if you are outside of that country. Sort of like the NFL.

#12 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

That's AFI.

#13 Posted by memo (421 posts) -

AFL is like rugby but its more more paced and they have a smaller ball than your regular rugby size. Also has smaller players and its a high score match, I prefer Rugby myself but this pretty damn exciting

#14 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@craigbo180 said:

I knew of it, but I know none of the rules or anything. I think it's quite similar to rugby right? Since they only play it in Australia it seems like a hard sport to have any interest in if you are outside of that country. Sort of like the NFL.

Nope, It's not like Rugby. Well, I don't watch rugby but from what few games I've seen they look very different.

If you are interested in the rules, check out wikipedia. I'd assume they would have the correct rules there.

#15 Posted by Swoxx (2993 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

@Swoxx said:

That's AFI.

Ooh right. Then no ^_^

#16 Posted by mosespippy (4121 posts) -

It seems like more of a melee and less strategic than Rugby (a sport I play) and Canadian Football (a sport I watch religiously). I'm sure there is probably strategy but I'm just not seeing the nuance.

I remember back in the day playing UT99 on a map that was an AFL stadium. It was a bad map. The flag was in the dressing rooms so the door was a choke point and we played sniper only and you could get up to the broadcast booth and pick off anyone trying to cross the field.

#17 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@memo said:

AFL is like rugby but its more more paced and they have a smaller ball than your regular rugby size. Also has smaller players and its a high score match, I prefer Rugby myself but this pretty damn exciting

How are rugby and AFL that similar? I don't watch rugby, but it seems more like NFL than AFL.

#18 Edited by theguy (796 posts) -

Is that Aussie rules? That's what we call it here anyway. It's similar to Gealic football but we use round balls and its not as physical.

#19 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@theguy said:

Is that Aussie rules? That's what we call it here anyway. It's similar to Gealic football but we use round balls.

Yeah, aussie rules, footy, it has different names. :)

#20 Posted by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -

Yeah I like the Philly Soul! Wait you mean the other futball

#21 Posted by Matfei90 (1288 posts) -

I've never liked AFL.

#22 Posted by EVO (3893 posts) -

Best sport on Earth.

#23 Posted by Onced (108 posts) -

I used to watch it when I was younger, loved the days when Hird was captain for Essendon. I enjoyed playing it at school, but was an absolutely atrocious kick. I remember desperately trying to perfect torpedo punts, but never quite getting them right and more often than not breaking a few windows in the process.

#24 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

#i watched it while i was in australia but i have no idea what was going on half the time.

#25 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@CptChiken said:

#i watched it while i was in australia but i have no idea what was going on half the time.

Any questions?

#26 Edited by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

I'd rather watch

EDIT: Especially this guy's edits of ALF episodes

Honestly, his whole channel of ALF and TNG edits are gold

#27 Posted by chrissedoff (2082 posts) -

you mean ALF?

#28 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@chrissedoff: Nope.

#29 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

AFL is silly.

But its the kind of silly I find great, especially the drama they build around it.

#30 Posted by Masha2932 (1241 posts) -

Of course I know about it. I live in Australia. However I can't stand it, football(soccer) all the way.

#31 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

Yea I know AFL but personally I'm more into 'The World Game' of Football myself (that is soccer for those weird people hehehe).

#32 Posted by Dagbiker (6972 posts) -

Of corse i know what AFL is American Fighting Legend, Everyone knows it.

#33 Posted by sodapop7 (217 posts) -

Went to a game when I was studying abroad in Sydney and had a great time, lots of scoring and action. It wasn't too difficult to pick up so that was a positive as well. I would definitely watch it again but it's pretty tough to get it in the states. ESPN on 360 sometimes has some games but that is about it.

#34 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@sodapop7 said:

Went to a game when I was studying abroad in Sydney and had a great time, lots of scoring and action. It wasn't too difficult to pick up so that was a positive as well. I would definitely watch it again but it's pretty tough to get it in the states. ESPN on 360 sometimes has some games but that is about it.

Hmm.. I wonder if there are any sites that streamed games?

#35 Posted by Veektarius (4772 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba: The way the ball is passed, with a lot of laterals and long distance drop-kicks, are a lot like Rugby, however, the huge field means that there's a lot more space between players and less huge pile-ons. Rugby is more similar to football in that players are in a fairly confined space and the ball isn't flying all over creation, which Australian Football seems to have more in common with soccer.

Honestly the game looks crazy. How many people are on a team? It looks like.. 25 or something. Reminds me of gym class sports when they'd put 50 of us in a class and expect us to somehow play baseball.

#36 Edited by buzz_clik (6969 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba: GO DEES!

EDIT: Quick and informal poll for us Aussies - who do you go for?

#37 Posted by Patman99 (1579 posts) -

This is the sport that I get sucked into watching at like 2:00am even though I have no idea what the rules are

#38 Posted by SamFo (1528 posts) -
@Veektarius: 18 v 18 and interchanges.
#39 Posted by Hailinel (24417 posts) -

AFL? Those old Denver Broncos uniforms were goddamn atrocious.

And those socks. Christ.
#40 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@buzz_clik said:

I go for Carlton!

#41 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

Woah.. another Aussie! Love it duder!

My grandad played fro St Kilda so I always support them, but then again, seeing as I live in Sydney, its a travesty to not support the bloods. Seriously though, I go for just about anyone EXCEPT Collingwood... man was I HAPPY when geelong destroyed them

#42 Posted by MisterChief (831 posts) -

The only good thing about Aussie Rules is the horrific shows they have at Grand Finals.

#43 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

Middle post's a goal the side post's are a point

@LordXavierBritish said:

I can say with complete confidence that I have no idea what the fuck is going on but I am strangely intrigued.

Not only it all legal it's preferred

#44 Edited by Red12b (9084 posts) -

@buzz_clik said:

Bombers, if they are out, The Pies

@NekuSakuraba said:

@memo said:

How are rugby and AFL that similar? I don't watch rugby, but it seems more like NFL than AFL.

AFL is not at all like NFL...

at all

I'd put more as, it's the Ice hockey of ball sports. it's a bastard child of basketball, soccer, rugby league and ice hockey

and it's fucking glorious

@MisterChief said:

The only good thing about Aussie Rules is the horrific shows they have at Grand Finals.

at least it's not as bad as the League show... Kelly clarkson...really?

really

#45 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@buzz_clik said:

The Pies.  Next year will be strange sans Mick.
#46 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba: I am a Richmond Tigers supporter. I think Ivan Maric was a good signing for us during trade week. Need a genuine ruck option so Vickery can play as a second tall forward up front with Reiwoldt. Everything else for us was just shifting around draft picks. Blues were pretty quiet this week.

#47 Posted by Grimace (376 posts) -

@buzz_clik said:

Port Adelaide.

#48 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

Why do sports which predominantly feature the players holding the ball in their hands, insist on being referred to as "foot" ball?

#49 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

Yeah it's closer to Gealic Football, I'm pretty sure there's even a mixed form of the game that Ireland and Australia play against each other. AFL is really mental, most of the time it's just a whole lot of men chasing a ball, but when they play close to the goal posts it's real edge-of-your-seat stuff knowing one kick could change the whole game.

#50 Posted by EVO (3893 posts) -

To answer buzz's question: Bombers. And to anyone that compared it to NFL: there's a big difference - AFL dudes don't wear pads. It's fucking brutal.