Does anybody ride Bicycles here?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

I'm trying to save money at the moment so I've decided I will invest in a bicycle, I walk to work anyway but at weekends I sometimes take the train to go shopping which can get expensive depending on where I go. I'm happy to spend up to £150 but really I'm looking for something in the £50-£75 range, I really don't know what kind of bike I should get. So I was just asking if any of you know good bike brands or what shop I should get it from.

Helmet recommendations would be good too, is an expensive helmet worth it or will a cheap one do? I'm also going to ride it on the road and have never done so before, so some tips for that would be cool too.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WalkerTR77

I never learned to ride a bicycle :(

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Sure.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By OldGuy
@Hizang: Don't scrimp on the helmet, if you need it you will be very glad you didn't.

Also, you should buy from your LBS (local bike shop) rather than some warehouse/superstore/type place. The vast majority or LBSs will not steer you wrong on the bike you need and making sure it fits you right (this is very important). They'll ask you what you anticipate your riding to be like (distance, how often, terrain, how much stuff you're anticipating carrying back from the shops - that sort of thing) and get you the machine you need.

Spend as much as you can afford... again, you will (unless you just abandon riding a month later) really appreciate the better bike in the long run over the savings now. Trust me.
Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Ravenlight

Get a unicycle. You'll make up the cost in savings on tires over time.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hizang
@OldGuy Thanks, good advice here.
doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By doobie

your not going to get anything that good for that much really. just pop down to halfords and see whats on sale.

i spent £400 on a hybrid mountain/road bike. very light weight and larger wheels just make it a joy to ride. my daily 6 mile round trip to work is something i enjoy and i have a cycle app for my iphone so i can try and beat my average speed, top speed and time. love it

all the bikes i owned before that the £100 to £150 mark were ok, but i never looked forward to riding one.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Addfwyn

I'm pretty sure I'm the only able bodied person in the entire country of Japan unable to ride a bicycle. <.<

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Getz

You're not going to get a very good bike for 50 pounds. Like @OldGuy said, spend the absolute most you can now because a nice bike is going to pay off in the long run. I biked everywhere in college on a shitty Schwinn and that thing broke all the damn time. If it wasn't the brakes it was the chain or the gears.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By sawtooth

I fell off a bike before.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#11  Edited By pyromagnestir

Depends on where here is, because I'm guessing it's far away from me. But who knows it might be the Best Buy in Salem NH, or the UPS dropbox near the Wendy's in my town. I've ridden my bike there.

The bike brand I have is a Specialized, and it's served me well for 10+ years at this point.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

The thread needed this, maybe.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cycling is second nature for everyone here in The Netherlands, but I can't really recommend any brands for that price off the top of my head. Also, why would you want a helmet? Is it required by law? If it is, then you should probably go with the cheapest one you can find that doesn't make you look like an utter fool. Unless you're racing at top speeds, you'll never land on your head.

As for the road, don't blind-side drivers, they won't be expecting a cyclist to pop out from between two parked cars for example.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sure, here in Denmark pretty much everybody rides bicycles.

Two tips for you:

1. Get a helmet and use it. Too many people don't realize how important this small helmet actually is - it is a lifesaver!

2. Watch out for yourself in traffic. A lot of cyclists seem like they think that they don't have to be aware of their surroundings, and that it is the drivers job to watch out for them.

These two things seems like no-brainers honestly, but at least here in Denmark, those two are the two most common things people ignore - and in the end it can be very dangerous for them.

EDIT: and as @OldGuy said, go to a local bike store instead of a warehouse - while the price might seem a bit higher there - it really pays out to get a good bike that fits you in the long run.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ch3burashka

Be careful not to ride your bicycle too much, lest you turn part bicycle yourself. Not only that, your bicycle will turn part human as well, and I'm afraid the process is irreversible. If you have siblings or roommates you can share the bicycle with, you can make the process take much more time, but the final result is inevitable if you plan on using it often.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OldGuy
@Village_Guy is 1000% right. I've ridden 300+ km a week for 35 years and, trust me, a helmet is your best friend (you may never need it [and, really, you hope you never need it], but if you do, you really need it). I needed mine when the lady turned left 10 meters in front of me when I was doing 35kph. Boom. Ow. Busted helmet. Intact head.

Also, remember this: to the vast majority or drivers you are invisible (or, even if they see you, you can defy physics  - first words out of left turners mouth: "I thought you'd stop!" [...also ignoring basic rules of the road in the process...]). You need to ride with that in mind at all times (and, no, I'm not saying you should ride timid, that can be worse - you just need to be aware that car drivers are looking for big boxy things, not bicycles [or motorcycles for that matter]).

Lastly: DO NOT BEHAVE AS IF THE RULES DON'T APPLY TO YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE ON A BICYCLE. Those are my least favorite people. They are the reason some drivers (and pedestrians) hate me, yell at me and (far, far less often than 25 years ago) try to run me off the road. Please don't be one of those idiots. Thanks.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Bruce

@WalkerTR77:

Me neither! It sucks, too, because while not knowing how to drive isn't such a big deal, people really seem to get caught up on the fact that I can't ride a bike.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@S0ndor said:

Also, why would you want a helmet?

Yeah seriously why would you want to protect yourself? Are you some kind of pussy?

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MoseSSesoM

I have not owned a bike in 12 years.

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By quemador

Does owning a bicycle and not riding it counts?

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NicksCorner

I ride to and from work everyday. My work involves riding a bike. So yeah, I do.

I don't even have a drivers license.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By N7
@OldGuy: Helmets are a life saver, very much so.

Related story. I was like 12, riding my Scooter. We lived at the bottom of this huge hill, and, sadly enough, right next door to my school. Like, one house over. So I take my Scooter up on the top of the hill, and start rolling down, the rush is amazing. I am Top Gun. So I go behind my school, which had this really cool sidewalk-hill that was inclined in such a way that I was able to pick up more speed here than the huge hill right next to it.

So I run down it a few times, no problem. It's great fun. Then, for my final run, I black out. I don't remember anything. I remember being on the Scooter, and then waking up with two teenagers standing over me going "Are you okay?" "OMG ARE YOU OKAY!?" only, I didn't wake up. I'm having this totally nucking futs out of body experience where I see myself. It's bizarre. And then I black out again. I wake up, again, out of body, watching myself walk home with my dad. Black out again. Wake up in the house on the couch, police officer standing at the door, me screaming "SHUT THE FUCK UP I'M TRYING TO GET SOME SLEEP". Black out again. Wake up in a hospital, getting what I can only assume is a cat scan. Wake up a week later with a huuuuuuuuuge headache, which was concussion, and not very much memory of the week prior.

All because I forgot to wear my safety goggles.

Take protection seriously, you guys. You never know when your brain turns into pudding and smashes your face into an asphalt parking lot.
jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#23  Edited By jacksukeru

The last bike I owned was stolen when my sister borrowed it without asking.

It was years ago but I'll never let her hear the end of it.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bell_End

i cycle to work everyday. i have a decent bike i spend a lot on though.

where i live nearly every road has a cycle path next to it so i never have to ride next to traffic so i don't wear a helmet. but if that was not the case i would.

i do love to cycle though

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Clinkz

...So don't race and you won't need a helmet. Seriously, if you aren't going fast, you will never land on your head. I'm not 12 and I only use a bike to get to campus sometimes so I would pick not looking like a jackass when I travel.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EuanDewar

I have a bike and can ride it but calling me a "Ryder" would be bulllshiiittt.

Eviternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Eviternal

@Clinkz said:

So don't race and you won't need a helmet. Seriously, if you aren't going fast, you will never land on your head. I'm not 12 and I only use a bike to get to campus sometimes so I would pick not looking like a jackass when I travel.

You may not look like a jackass, but you could be on your way to becoming one hell of a handsome paralytic. Congrats!

and

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By WalkerTR77

@Bruce: I feel a deep and regretful melancholy envelop me whenever I see someone jauntily pedaling along. I'm 20, it's too late for me to slip the surly bonds of bipedal gait and explore the wonders of bicycling.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fetchfox

I ride my bicycle pretty much everywhere I need to go (school, store, friends, aso.). It's efficient and good for you. I don't have any real tips on helmet or bike, but I suggest you get a good one of each.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Karl_Boss

A better question, are you the only one who rides a bicycle here?

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@James_Giant_Peach said:

@S0ndor said:

Yeah seriously why would you want to protect yourself? Are you some kind of pussy?

Well, here in Holland we have separate roads for bicycles. Also, literally everyone rides one, and our country is completely flat. I myself ride everyday. Helmets are quite unnecessary over here, and would mess up our hair.

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Wasara88

You really wont get anything remotely decent with that price range. If you buy crap it wont take long before you stop riding and it just takes space.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By JasonR86

No offense to bike riders out there but fuck bikes. They get in the way of me and my car.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My bike is stuck in a shed somewhere. You've made me want to go and dig it out now.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ItBeStefYo

Those IKEA bikes! look into it

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By UitDeToekomst

no, but i've played a lot of Paperboy. does that count?

Jwkokosmakroon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jwkokosmakroon

I'm Dutch, need I say more?

(Yes... obviously)

duggshammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By duggshammer

Love riding the bike. But, make sure you get a good one, you are going to hate it if you get a cheap one. Craigslist?

Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mageman

It is my main means of transport alongside the bus.

I also do uphill biking/country biking for recreation.

If you are mainly planning to ride in the city just get a decent city bycicle with a nice aluminium frame and ''thin'' wheels. I don't wear a helmet for riding in the city, but there is little danger as most of the city has special bike lanes, don't know how it's where you live.

@Wasara88 said:

You really wont get anything remotely decent with that price range. If you buy crap it wont take long before you stop riding and it just takes space.

My inner city bike is quite old and was rather cheap but still works fine. Maintenance is the key.

Anyway if your area of residence does not have specified bike lanes and such then I don't really think it's worth it tbh, I personally would not feel very comfortable riding my bike slowly at the edge of a street with people in motor vehicles buzzing by.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BrockNRolla

I'd like to ride around, but riding a bicycle in Chicago would be a good way to get yourself killed. People are terrible, oblivious drivers here.

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By D0tti

I ride the neighborhood bicycle.

deadmoscow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By deadmoscow

I used to bike between classes all the time down in Bloomington, IN. Most of the main roads had bike lanes and it was a bike friendly town, but once you got on campus you had to dodge the millions and billions of students everywhere. It was usually better in the summers, when the campus population dropped by like 90%.

Either way, uh, get a helmet. They're important. Also, making sure your bike fits you is extremely important. Sometimes you'll see someone pedaling and their knees come up past the handlebars, and you know they're putting in way too much effort.

Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mageman

@deadmoscow said:

I used to bike between classes all the time down in Bloomington, IN. Most of the main roads had bike lanes and it was a bike friendly town, but once you got on campus you had to dodge the millions and billions of students everywhere. It was usually better in the summers, when the campus population dropped by like 90%.

Either way, uh, get a helmet. They're important. Also, making sure your bike fits you is extremely important. Sometimes you'll see someone pedaling and their knees come up past the handlebars, and you know they're putting in way too much effort.

If a town really is ''bike friendly'' with bike lanes then I really don't think a normal adult should bother with a helmet. Unless of course there are a lot of sections where you have to cycle alongside a rather speedy road.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By eroticfishcake

Not very often giving where I live and where I need to go but I am learning how to ride a unicycle. Once I nail that I'm going combine that with my amateur plate spinning or my diaboloing.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SSully

@S0ndor said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

@S0ndor said:

Well, here in Holland we have separate roads for bicycles. Also, literally everyone rides one, and our country is completely flat. I myself ride everyday. Helmets are quite unnecessary over here, and would mess up our hair.

Well, here is the United States, specifically Illinois, even in downtown Chicago there are not bike lanes on every street. Regardless of that fact if you fall of your bike and hit your head, you can so some serious damage. It's better to be safe then to get hurt, and this applies everywhere, even Holland.

Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Wasara88
@Mageman Yeah you may get something, but it has to be a really basic bike,but if you use it on a daily basis it's nice to get some enjoyment out of it.
And even maintenance doesn't make bad parts good.
But whatever you do, dont buy something crazy like a full-suspension bike with 200£ and expect to get quality.
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Hizang

Thanks for the feedback, heading out with my dad this weekend to pick one up.

MeldingPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MeldingPlague

@Hizang: Oh man. Advice in this thread is seriously freaking me out, with the exception of a few.

First of all, you can get a bike for the amount that you quoted. Granted, if you get it from a chain store or bike shop, it will be a pretty crappy bike and, most likely, a mountain bike not built for road riding. You can, of course, go to a website like Craigslist and, perhaps, get lucky. That would be my best suggestion. You can sometimes find really good deals from people who are getting rid of their old bikes.

Brands are kind of irrelevant at that price range. You're going to have to get whatever you can. The main thing to focus on will be the material. A bike made of steel will be cheapest, but heaviest. An aluminium bike will be expensive, but lighter. A bike with carbon fiber parts will be terribly expensive, but lightest. Bike are rarely made totally of carbon fiber due to the frame having a tendency to rip and tear on impact. Regardless, it would be out of your price range anyway. At your price range, you'll probably end up with a steel bike. Just make sure it's not too heavy and that it fits.

Speaking of which, make sure your bike fits. Most ads for bikes detail the size of the frame in either inches or centimeters. You'll want to pay close attention to this as a bike too large or too small is a waste of money and potentially dangerous to the health of your legs, knees, and back. Read this fitting guide http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/bike+fit.html. A road bike would be ideal, but at your price range a hybrid is probably more likely. They're still great bikes, but built for endurance rather than speed. I have a Gary Fisher hybrid and it's great for getting around an urban environment and can absorb some shock when going off-road. Again, the link I have supplied will help to outline the different kinds of bikes I have described and more.

Also, don't skimp on a helmet. The only cyclists I have ever met that were dismissive of helmets were genuinely suicidal. One of them biked around with headphones, too. A cry for help, really. Don't be that guy/gal. Also, here is a helpful guide on when to replace your helmet: http://www.bhsi.org/replace.htm.

A few more things. Learn cycling hand signals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_signals. They help you communicate with cars. Do this, or you will be a road pancake. Deck your bike out with lights. Flashy lights: http://www.amazon.com/Reelight-Flashing-Compact-Generator-Headlight/dp/B0017GA09W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334254161&sr=8-1. Brightly colored clothing is helpful, but nothing lets cars and other cyclists know your location like some bright, flashy, fucking irritating lights. The lights I linked do not require batteries, but instead attach to your wheels and are powered by your pedaling. If you plan to ride at night, get a bright front-facing light. Some of these lights are compact, half as powerful as car headlights, and rechargeable: http://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-350-Lumen-USB-Rechargeable-Headlight/dp/B005DVA37Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1334254365&sr=1-1. These are all expensive accessories and do not necessarily have to be bought at the same time as your bike purchase, but I do consider them to be instrumental in keeping cyclists safe on the road. Also, the amount that you spend on them outright will be vastly cheaper than the amount you will spend on gas, insurance, and maintenance of a car during the course of a year.

To summarize, you're probably looking for a starter bike. A hybrid would be nice. You'll likely end up with the equivalent of a Schwinn, or whatever low cost alternative is available in your nook of the world. Get a helmet, a good helmet. It's your brain you need to think about, not your wallet. Get a fit. If you can't fit it yourself, a bike shop can help you. My fit cost about $15. It was worth every penny, despite what Jeff Gerstmann might say. Learn how to communicate with cars or these people http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/non-make/ns/ns_32812_717.jpg will kill you. Get good bike accessories to keep you alive.

Also, make a bike your main mode of transportation and you'll save a shit-ton of money.

MeldingPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MeldingPlague

@S0ndor said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

@S0ndor said:

I'm from Portland, OR in the United States, one of the most bike friendly places in this country. We've got bike lanes and a few bike roads here and there. Still, I would not go anywhere on a bike without a helmet. This is not necessarily because I do not trust myself on a bike, but rather because I have heard too many stories about people getting injured or killed by cars, drunk morons, other cyclists, and dumb shit like downed branches and potholes. In the end, I believe it pays to protect yourself from physical harm not matter how unlikely that harm may be. I'm certainly not aiming to change your mind about helmets, but I think that the OP deserves to see both sides of the story. Really, the temporary inconvenience of a helmet is not worth the possibility of a lifetime of permanent damage. Tis my 'pinion.