• 136 results
#1 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

I recently bought the 2009 "The Beatles in Mono" box set. I have bought all my music on itunes over the years, but this was a special set I wanted to own. After owning it though, I realized that I just imported the disks 1 by 1 and then didn't bother with the CD's again. Now, I am sure that some people use the CD's in their car to listen to music and if I have a car with a CD player ( mine only has a tape deck ) then I may listen to CD's more. But my point is that I realized all the music I bought over the years is digital and was wondering if anyone else out there is buying CD's or, in the music world, has everyone pretty much went digital a long time ago and never looked back? ( At least outside the cases of special editions or so on )

#2 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

I buy CD's and albums as well as Digital Music. It depends on who or what it is. If I think think they're great, i'll probably buy the CD or album.

#3 Posted by Vonocourt (2126 posts) -

I buy vinyls, and those usually come with digital downloads.

I never actually used the CDs I bought, I would rip and burn them to a disposable blank CD if I wanted to listen to them in my car.

#4 Posted by Kedi2 (246 posts) -

I only buy digital.

#5 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

I basically just get all my music digitally now, but I wouldn't really be that opposed to buying a CD if I was in a shop and saw something I liked.

#6 Posted by Hailinel (24423 posts) -

I buy CDs, though I've never been a diligent music collector.

#7 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I'm sure people still buy CD's, otherwise stores wouldn't still be selling them. Some people like having physical copies of the stuff they purchase.

#8 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I definitely prefer CDs, mostly 'cause I don't like iTunes at all and the price disparity isn't all that different when you're using Amazon.

#9 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

I love having some collectors sets and limited editions sets of bands I love. I am a huge Beatles fan and their "Mono Box Set" was a great investment to me. As the mono remasters are only available in the set and the care and attention to detail in the set was some special and worth owning for me. Other than these small exceptions, I just can't find it too beneficial for me to buy CD's when they are barely even used. Digital has become too convenient.

#10 Posted by d_breeze (223 posts) -

I greatly prefer CDs to digital. There is something about having a physical copy that I just love...

#11 Posted by HH (609 posts) -

I buy vinyls and cds, i have a sweet Marantz set-up at home, listening to music is important enough to me that the lower res of mp3s is a negative, as is the hum of a computer in the background, plus i've had more than one drive go down on me before and lost a ton of tunes because of it, whereas i still have all the records i bought as a kid in the 80s, i use digitized FLACs on my pod, and i download mp3s to try new stuff out, but i never buy digital, if i like something i buy a hard copy and add it to the collection.

#12 Posted by Ezakael (935 posts) -

I still buy CDs personally. I still enjoy having physical copies of my stuff.

#13 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i still buy CD's. i just find them better.

#14 Posted by Dixavd (1354 posts) -

I don't buy very many songs anyway (usually if I do, they are one song that I happen to like by a specific artist or it's by a singer from Youtube and so digital distribution is usually the only avenue anyway). However, if there is an artist I know I like or I want the album of, I will usually get the physical copy so then I can share it with people (usually my sister).

I buy many more OSTs for videogames though. My usual reason for pre-ordering a collectors edition is to get the soundtrack. In these cases, I just get them in whatever state I can get them (again, I usually prefer to get a CD so that I don't feel bad sharing it with my sister but I don't usually mind). But in general, I still usually buy them from iTunes anyway (this way I can pick specific songs that I really like) as well as at least knowing that some of the money I am paying will at least go to the artist (or just someone who may see it and think "maybe we should get them to make more music for us") this usually comes into play when it is dealing with music from years back where I am unsure even a new CD on Amazon will give them any money (such as old FF music).

#15 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

The only time would be at a band's show or something

#16 Posted by Slay3r1583 (608 posts) -

Probably 95% of the music I buy is CDs. In fact I just bought two yesterday. Corrosion of Conformity's self titled CD and Nattfödd by Finntroll.

#17 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Pretty much all vinyl and digital.

#18 Posted by kogasu (148 posts) -

I just bought a CD a few hours ago hehe. Usually, if I want to listen to a song, I can just use Youtube but when I do decide to buy music I like getting physical copies of it. Even if I DO just convert it and put it on my mp3 player. Kind of sucks that some OSTs come only in digital format. I'd like a CD for all of my favorite OSTs but it's understandable that sometimes they just can't release physical copies and that digital is just easier to sell.

#19 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

I buy CDs if I really like an album and I like actually owning a physical copy of anything

#20 Edited by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

I'll buy the CD if it's available. Sometimes even the vinyl album if they do that. I'm a sucker for cool CD cover art.

#21 Posted by ShaggE (6427 posts) -

CDs when I can. I listen to a lot of bands/musicians that tend to go the extra mile with their liner notes.

#22 Posted by DeF (4863 posts) -

Hm we've had a thread like that one or two months ago.

That said, I still buy CDs pretty much exclusively. I hate buying digital music. It feels cheap and totally not safe in terms of future access.

#23 Posted by wariomona (57 posts) -

CDs! But now I have over 350 of them and it's hard to keep them all in the same place...

#24 Posted by NapTimeSleeper (330 posts) -

I pretty much only buy digital now. If their is a special edition of a band I like then I might buy the CD but it's rare.

#25 Posted by hoossy (933 posts) -

Between Rhapsody and Spotify... I don't pay for albums period. 10 dollars a month for almost any song I could think of is a steal.

#26 Posted by Hector (3360 posts) -

I haven't bought a music CD in years.

#27 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

I will freely admit to being a terrible person and having almost exclusively pirated music since like 2005.

#28 Posted by Fearbeard (826 posts) -

I'll only buy a CD if it's cheaper then the digital version when I'm looking at it.

I'll transfer it to my computer right away though, and probably never play the actual CD.

#29 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I can't understand why anyone would want a physical CD or DVD or anything like that.

Less clutter the better

#30 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

I pirate most of my music, the music I do buy is almost all digital. I cannot see myself buying a cd at this point. Maybe my friend's band, that's it.

#31 Posted by geirr (2536 posts) -

Digital and Vinyl if I care enough about the album.

Last Vinyl I got was the Shatter soundtrack and it might just be the coolest vinyl I've seen.

#32 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

CDs to play in my car

#33 Posted by Village_Guy (2546 posts) -

I don't buy music at all, it simply isn't worth paying money for, granted I do have a music streaming service which I pay for along with my Internet connection.

#34 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (619 posts) -

I've maybe bought 5 cd's in the past 5 years (3 of them from the same artist). most of it i just get digitally although i am getting more disappointed in stuff that is less than 320kbps. Then again alot of the music i've been buying recently is foreign anyways so it costs too much to get the cd compared to the digital version.

#35 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

Spotify is the only thing I use. Great service.

#36 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I don't understand how CD's still exist.

#37 Edited by Chop (1996 posts) -

Exclusively digital. If I can buy digital and directly from the artist (ala band camp), that is how I get my music.

If not...well, I use "other" means. I'm in the camp that fully supports digital music but refuses to use iTunes for anything.

#38 Posted by Brodehouse (9887 posts) -

Digital.

I wish more bands had a 'tip jar' or whatever, on their site or what have you. I'd like my 8-10 dollars for the album to go directly to them, not for 80% to go to business concerns.

#39 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Vinyl > CD > Digital.

I don't use my CDs often, but it's very comforting to know that they'll always be there for me. Some of them are also very cool.

#40 Posted by perilator666 (443 posts) -

all vinyl. all the time.

#41 Posted by falserelic (5413 posts) -

Digital, all the way everyday I represent baby. I don't fuck with CDs no more.

#42 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I buy CDs and Vinyls because I'm an avid music collector.....I like having a collection of physical music.

#43 Posted by Franstone (1111 posts) -

I like owning physical copies of my music and games that I'm a big fan of, others I'll go digital.

#44 Posted by Demoskinos (14778 posts) -

I usually still buy the CD's although I also only buy a select few albums a year anyways.

#45 Posted by AlexW00d (6240 posts) -

I have never bought digital, I hope to never. I try and buy my CDs straight from the bands themselves whenever I can, so they actually get at least some money for it.

#46 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2026 posts) -

Been doing digital for years; haven't looked back. It's the nature of the beast.

#47 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

I buy CDs from my favorite bands.

And I buy digitally if I only want 1-2 songs.

#48 Posted by Mixwizzard (83 posts) -

CD's. Because of that dumbass "Only one PC per iPod" system iTunes uses, when one of my computers broke I lost all of my music except the 20 songs I bought through the store. And I have too many CD's to just rebuy them digitally.

#49 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3149 posts) -

I buy CDs and vinyls still. I love it.

#50 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1767 posts) -

I usually buy vinyl when I want to support an artist.