Does our society breeds narcissistic behavior?

Gangsterlax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Does our society breeds narcissistic behavior? (90 votes)

Yes I think so. 58%
Perhaps. I might brood on this later. 36%
No. 23%

Before I begin, notice how I said "our".

You may be thinking, " who the hell does he think he is, diagnosing society with his lack-you-betcha-degree-in-mental-health." (I think this is so clever.)

If you not thinking this, you're either A) lying to yourself because you just read it in your head or B) skipped over that part by chance to see if this post will be worth another second of your precious life.

Either way I'm right and this gives me satisfaction for some reason. I don't know why, it's such a trivial thing --but I love it!

If you haven't noticed, I am a narcissist. Or at least I think I am, so i pretend to be. Before I came to this realization I was on the fence about it for one main reason and that reason is low self-esteem.

When things I feel are important, no matter how trivial don't go my way, I get bummed out. Not full on depressed every time mind you but sometimes just a little crack In the old self esteem that I can't seem to shake off yet. Now there I was tempted to write "shake off yet like a boss", but I stopped myself to appear more credible to "my" readers. I just can't stop myself. See how self aware I am. Aren't I clever!

Har-har

Now this is the part I sincerely hope is clever. Subconsciously you were thinking this topic is meaningless to me unless this guy says something worthwhile. Which is my point. We all feel our time is precious and most people don’t like to be jerked around. Unless they’re the kinky type. On second thought. Most people don’t like to be jerked around in specific contexts.

But alas! (<-- Grandiose and shitty writing, all in two words.) Perhaps I've been conditioned to think this way, or at least I hope so. No one wants to have been born with a mental illness, unless they want to be a payed actor or something. In which case I wouldn't advise it, they have acting lessons for that. So I'm here to tell you it's OK to give into this behavior sometimes, because for some reason, society rewards my type of jackass. Just look at all the successful people out there with the tendencies.

"But a majority of those people are assholes and so are you, money isn't everything" etc.

I agree with you, but only because I said it first.

Real talk for the whooshed - Narcissism is perfectly OK in moderation. As well as grammatical errors. Oh boy!

• 
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Gangsterlax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll go with Dan and pretend to know who you're talking about before I google it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I'll go with Dan and pretend to know who you're talking about before I google it.

They are the dudes behind GTA. This sounds like a GTA-thing. Take that how you will.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

wat

Gangsterlax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I take whatever you give kind sir because I am a narcissist. Fuel my fire. Praise me like an Egyptian god for it gives me strength.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By captain_clayman

This post has an unprecedented amount of meta and strawmen. I'm actually kind of impressed. I'll also admit I have no idea what the fuck you're getting at. Please try to write a succinct paragraph without interjecting a parenthetical full of introspection and self-deprocation at the end of every sentence.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By TruthTellah

Just because our culture may encourage and even reward such behavior, it doesn't make it the best way for someone to choose to act. If society's approval and support is so important to you, you're on a path toward being just another cog in the machine.

Gangsterlax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gangsterlax

@captain_clayman:

1)I realize i'm not persistent enough to catch every error so I take a shortcut to absolve myself of any guilt I may face later on when I find one. It's a lazy shortcut. I truly value editing and immediate correction of such errors. Unless the errors are from me of course.

2)I have such an inflated view of my abilities I couldn't possibly mess up something so trivial. So I fool myself into believing my errors are clever. It's all about winning.

3) To the point- I believe all creative people display narcissistic tendencies.

4) I can't handle my own meta. Fill in the blanks for me. It's the greatest thing ever man, smells like teen spirit. (Damn I can't help it.)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Oh god this is hard to read. You need an editor.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By PandaBear

I VOTED FOR ALL THREE BECAUSE I'M NUMBER 1!!!!

Also, when you say "society" do you mean the part of the world you live in? I mean would you say narcissism affects kids working in diamonds in Sierra Leone? Did you just finish your first class in philosophy and now need to show us how self-aware you are of your own narcissism?

(*)> penguin

Gangsterlax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pandabear: I am so special I came to this realization on my own how dare you!

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rick_Fingers

I am going to respond to this thread by stating that I believe, based on the evidence I have seen, that Lil Jon is, in fact, a drunken aeroplane.

Gangsterlax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PandaBear

@pandabear: I am so special I came to this realization on my own how dare you!

I refuse to be victimised on the internet!! I NEED AN ADULT

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

34f3ecwdc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you have any idea to whom Lucifer it's praying to ? Me !

Funny thing, is that, it's wrong to say how awesome you, while the herd it's dying to follow you on the other side. It's mutual attraction to anything that's awesome than them, but they don't like to hear it from you. It's absolutely alright to say how fucked up you are mentally, because it's more alright for them to make fun of you then. It's an ironical paradox but it looks like a mine of hypocrisy. If you are too proud of yourself, you are called a stubborn and pain in the ass for being too wild to follow the same path as everyone else, which it's so freakin' amazing to be emotionally independent, unchained from all the useless shit in this world. It's a difference between lying with the things you don't own and show off, and being proud of yourself for being different and an outcast. I don't fit in any community and the air it's much better outside the society. I chose the first answer, because nowadays, mothers tell to their children that they are special and they are going to do wonderful things in this world, like : advanced skills in Photoshop and uploads on Facebook faster than light.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I VOTED FOR ALL THREE BECAUSE I'M NUMBER 1!!!!

Also, when you say "society" do you mean the part of the world you live in? I mean would you say narcissism affects kids working in diamonds in Sierra Leone? Did you just finish your first class in philosophy and now need to show us how self-aware you are of your own narcissism?

(*)> penguin

I don't think he's old enough to have taken a class in philosophy.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am Leslie Benzies.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

No, being human breeds selfishness. because being selfshness is how we survived the winter so many eons ago. And being selfish breeds contempt.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is Man?

A narcissistic pile of secrets.

Gangsterlax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gangsterlax
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King

What society is this we're talking about?

Gangsterlax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gangsterlax

Everything, & anything ever.

No pressure.

DizzyMedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DizzyMedal

You may be thinking, " who the hell does he think he is, diagnosing society with his lack-you-betcha-degree-in-mental-health." (I think this is so clever.)

If you not thinking this, you're either A) lying to yourself because you just read it in your head or B) skipped over that part by chance to see if this post will be worth another second of your precious life.

Actually I was thinking that the 'breeds' in the title should be singular. I don't know where that falls on your scale.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

'Does our society breeds'

Terrible grammar. I'm glad I'm a much better person than you and would never make this mistake as I am the greatest.

Gangsterlax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gangsterlax

@benpicko: I am not affiliated with this gangsterlax fellow or any of his colorful rhetoric, for I am Neil Patrick Harris pretending to be Neil Patrick Harris.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gangsterlax: I could almost swear How I Met Your Mother exists in the coma laden brain of Barney. In reality Barney is a total recluse. A man with no friends or family. One day in the dead of night in his dank apartment Barney shoots himself in the side of the head. The wound is superficial. And so begins his absurdly preposterous life in HIMYM.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I don't know man, but this here California living sure is some self-involved Bullshit.

I'm too boring to be a Narcissist. Though I would refer to myself as an artist, what does that tell you.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@tobbrobb said:

Oh god this is hard to read. You need an editor.

If you edited this shit, you'd have a single sentence and it would say "I'm fucking bonkers!" Besides, we already have a king of narcissism. He claims that he both lives on and has kingship of the moon.

Narcissism is perfectly OK in moderation. As well as grammatical errors.

This isn't "moderation", it's raving mad.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

Besides, we already have a king of narcissism. He claims that he both lives on and has kingship of the moon.

No Caption Provided

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Narcissist == Troll

Got it. Yep, thanks to the internet, Trolling is encouraged.

Gangsterlax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reisz: You're an actor-- no! Aspiring screenwriter. The real question is, do you typically brood over coffee or tea?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I dunno if I'd go as far as to call it narcissism but I'd definitely say every generation in the western world is raised with an unwarranted sense of entitlement.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You seem pretty hostile and I'm afraid

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What the hell is even going on here.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I'll give you my answer after Im done looking in the mirror.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(<-- Grandiose and shitty writing, all in two words.)
"I think you should do that math again."

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've found that most people who claim to be narcissistic are generally not. They just use it as some form of blanket statement for how they're feeling a bit selfish for a moment. Which is orders of magnitude off how an actual narcissist experience the world. As with a lot of personality disorders, most people generally don't self-reflect until enough people question their behavior and thoughts.

But do our society breed some narcissistic behaviors? Sure. But that's just because we're all a little bit selfish and our modern societies tend to also teach us a weird level of entitlement.

I've met few actual narcissists though.

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I was thinking was "Oh, one of these again."

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45  Edited By Levio
This is Narcissus himself. Can you really look at this picture and relate to it?
This is Narcissus himself. Can you really look at this picture and relate to it?

Seriously, would you be looking at the girl or the window? Answer honestly.
Seriously, would you be looking at the girl or the window? Answer honestly.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I believe our society tends towards narcism. Our entire economic system is based on the ideal that humans work best when thinking of themselves, which is the basis of Adam Smith's classical work.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By GnaTSoL

Maybe..... Include Malevolence but maybe that's our own individual faults as humans.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Narcissistic Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement "In data from 37,000 college students, narcissistic personality traits rose just as fast as obesity from the 1980s to the present."

Yeah, I think so. Everyone deserves the best and no one can put you down, is a message that seems to be sent to this generation. I don't think websites like Facebook and Twitter help with this at all. Although once I saw that "maybe" picture, I thought about changing my mind to that. Gotta go watch that clip on Youtube now for a good laugh.

Gangsterlax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@levio: Both! Sometimes even at the same time depending on the light.