#1 Posted by DominoesPizza96 (6 posts) -

Hey guys, new here but big gb fan. So have you guys heard about that SpongeBob study that said SpongeBob makes People dumber because the scenes constantly shift? I always watch SpongeBob and am an teen in highschool, its dumb [imho] to be saying that SpongeBob is making me dumber. Its actually educational for kids I guess, but its really entertaining and funny...what are your thoughts?

#2 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

@DominoesPizza96 said:

Its actually educational for kids I guess,

What what what?

#3 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1758 posts) -

Moderation in all things.

#4 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -
@DominoesPizza96 said:

I always watch SpongeBob and am an teen in highschool, its dumb [imho] to be saying that SpongeBob is making me dumber. Its actually educational for kids I guess

Well it seems to have made you dumber. 

Sorry, I kid. I kid. But there's nothing educational about SpongeBob and without you linking or referencing these "studies", I can't really give my opinion on them.
#5 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

Fun fact: I once made a Christopher Walkenpants in Photoshop. 

#6 Posted by Brendan (7734 posts) -

I thought that Spongebob Squarepants was dumb when I was 12. Does that make me smart?

#7 Posted by Doctorchimp (4073 posts) -

@Brendan said:

I thought that Spongebob Squarepants was dumb when I was 12. Does that make me smart?

I think its funny Spongebob gets shown to kids. And Tim and Eric goes on Adult Swim...

#8 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

no. if i remember correctly, the study that said that only said you'd be less responsive in situations directly following the viewing of the cartoon. it wasnt conclusive at all.

#9 Posted by Zolfe (262 posts) -

cellphones give you cancer, beware

#10 Posted by FreakAche (2951 posts) -

@Zolfe said:

No, just hepatitis.

#11 Posted by The_Nubster (2088 posts) -

SpongeBob is a wonderful show and shame on anyone who thinks otherwise.

#12 Posted by Brendan (7734 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

@Brendan said:

I think its funny Spongebob gets shown to kids. And Tim and Eric goes on Adult Swim...

Marketing!

#13 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

@Zolfe said:

No, just hepatitis.

They made my dick bigger.

#14 Edited by Juicebox (485 posts) -

I thought the title read ''Does Spongebob realy make you hard?''

I was gonna say oh yess...yes he do..

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@The_Nubster said:

Clearly, the show has damaged your brain beyond repair.
#16 Posted by The_Nubster (2088 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@The_Nubster said:

But does it matter? I'll gladly take brain damage to watch more SpongeBob. I NEED IT.

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@The_Nubster

I just noticed that you have a Family Circus avatar. I'm ending this conversation here.
#18 Posted by DominoesPizza96 (6 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@The_Nubster said:

But does it matter? I'll gladly take brain damage to watch more SpongeBob. I NEED IT.

Lol, it's kinda like that episode where Mr. Krabs sold krabby Patties and SpogneBob was deprived of water in Sandy's dome and SpongeBob was like "I NEEEED ITTTTT" in Sandy's Dome trying to breathe air because he needed water.

#19 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

Did you know there was a recent study that portrayed 99% of studies being false and the last 1% is this survey telling you the rest are all fake?

Yes.

#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@DominoesPizza96

Those are two different episodes. In fact, I'm fairly certain that the first one is just 40% of all SpongeBob episodes.
#21 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

The OP is all jacked up. The study claimed that Sponge impaired children's thinking. Children.

#22 Posted by Strongbadman47 (154 posts) -

I thought the study showed that it made kids more susceptible to ADHD, not make them dumber. There is a difference.

#23 Posted by DominoesPizza96 (6 posts) -

@csoup said:

Did you know there was a recent study that portrayed 99% of studies being false and the last 1% is this survey telling you the rest are all fake?

Yes.

Hey nice av, do you watch spongebob too? :-)

#24 Posted by solidejake (484 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
Fun fact: I once made a Christopher Walkenpants in Photoshop. 
That is perhaps the best thing I have ever seen! And I grew up watching Spongebob, and I like to think that I am pretty smart. I'm only 16.
#25 Posted by Spence_5060 (325 posts) -

I don't get what makes spongebob funny or good or whatever. Never thought it was good as a kid and still don't think it is good now.

#26 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

I wasnt even aware that Sponge bob was still being shown... Learn something everyday i suppose.

#27 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

fuck all y'all, Spongebob was awesome for the first couple seasons. It trailed off sometime after the movie (movie was still baller though)

#28 Posted by Juicebox (485 posts) -

@csoup:

Yeah but look at who funded that research?

The people that want people to bealive that.

#29 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

its a short term effect, not a long term effect.

#30 Posted by The_Nubster (2088 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@The_Nubster: I just noticed that you have a Family Circus avatar. I'm ending this conversation here.

You've made a wise choice. I was just about to Shift into MAXIMUM OVERTROLL.

#31 Posted by SLUSHiNaToR (156 posts) -

I think it's funny when people call spongebob retarded then sit down and watch shit like Jersey Shore..

#32 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@The_Nubster said:

This. Also, fun fact: The Brazilian voice actor of Goku, is also the voice actor of Sponge Bob (In Brazil, of course).
#33 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

nope

#34 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

Spongebob is dumb.

#35 Posted by Mikemcn (6967 posts) -

Spongebob is (Or at least was.) smarter than many adult Tv shows.

#36 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6988 posts) -
@Questionable said:

@DominoesPizza96 said:

Its actually educational for kids I guess,

What what what?

lol
#37 Posted by DominoesPizza96 (6 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@The_Nubster said:

This. Also, fun fact: The Brazilian voice actor of Goku, is also the voice actor of Sponge Bob (In Brazil, of course).

Wait, wat? Goku sounds NOTHING like Brazil...

#38 Posted by Shimastu (35 posts) -

As long as you don't use Sponge bob as a portryal of real world undersea life, then you will be fine.

#39 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@DominoesPizza96 said:

@MikeGosot said:

@The_Nubster said:

Wait, wat? Goku sounds NOTHING like Brazil...

Ahn, what?
#40 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -
@SLUSHiNaToR said:

I think it's funny when people call spongebob retarded then sit down and watch shit like Jersey Shore..

Do I win for realizing both are shit?
#41 Posted by TooWalrus (13153 posts) -

Yeah, those first few years of Spongebob were fucking boss, it went downhill quick though, like most good things. I think the last thing I remember being truly was when the pirate found the 'lost episode' of spongebob and it was just: 

#42 Posted by bybeach (4771 posts) -

it's just that for a little kid, sponge bob does all the heavy lifting. Ed. cartoons on the other hand try to get the child to think. To blame it for instilling stupidity on an active level is stupidity in itself. Prob. some politically correct assholes who want to trade away all fun for the kid or are envious of the draw. Having said that, I'm a firm believer in PBS etc.

#43 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -
@Brendan said:

i guess so, because i also thought sponge bob was dumb when it first aired. i hated the show, and still do.  i'm not the brightest bulb in the box.

i would say maybe it does make you stupid. it makes people have ADD since it's always crazy scene jumping.
#44 Posted by 5DorraFOOTlong (4 posts) -

Dont be silly guys, a tv show itself wont make you dumber. Staying inside watching tv for days will though.