Encyclopedia of Sandwiches - Tell me Your Sandwich

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

I have to say my favorites sandwich is the classic Italian Sub. Call it a Hero, Sub, Grinder, or Hoagie; I don't care as long as it has Italian deli meats, provolone, dressings (onions, marinated peppers, pickles, olives, etc). You can probably by an "Italian sandwich" everywhere is the US, they might have their regional differences, but they are all good.

But, if given a choice to get my exact kingdom, phylum, order, family, genus, species of Italian sandwich ist woudl be a New Orleans Muffalatta. Such a sandwich is not made - it is constructed! You make one sandwich that feeds four hungry people.

Muffalatta

• 8" to 10" round of Italian bread
  • Coarsely chopped Olive Salad (or ingredients to make an olive salad)
  • 1/2 lb Hot capicola ham
  • 1/2 lb dry salami
  • 1/2 lb Genoa salami
  • 1/2 lb sliced provolone (or favroist not wet cheese)
    (feel free to substitute other deli meats: mortadella, big pepperoni are easy substitutes; but be careful with salty meats like pancetta or prosciutto. If you use Mozzarella make sure it is dry.)
  1. If you supermarkets sells Olive Salad (olives and picked vegetables chopped up) get a 1/4 pint of that.

2. Bisect a round, crusty loaf of Italian bread in half as if it were a giant hamburger bun. If the loaf is thick dig out the middle, all you want is crust and at most a 3/4 of and inch of bread on each side of teh bun. Spread a thin layer of the olive salad onto each half of the bread. Top with thin layers of provolone and all the meats.

3. Place the top on the sandwich and tightly wrap the whole sandwich in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors mellow. Don't eat it stone cold, cut a quarter (or 1/8th) and let it warm up to room temp - a light toasting in a hot oven is okay too.

No Caption Provided
Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sounds delicious, will definitely have to give it a try sometime. My go-to sandwich actually came into my life during my brief stay in the US with a girlfriend I had at the time. She used to make these using some form of pita bread, but I have since switched to fluffy cornmeal rolls, or whatever it’s called.

Aside from the corn bread, you use the following. I have no exact measurements because I sort of do it by feel. The ingredients though are as follows;

- Mayo (generously on both slices of the bread)

- Sliced tomatoes.

- Smoked turkey slices.

- Thick slices of cheese (go for something like a cheddar, colby jack, or similar)

- Couple of slices of crispy bacon.

- If you’re feeling adventurous, some splash of hot sauce. My go to recently is Tabasco’s Buffalo Style.

I also want to give a shout out to mayo-banana sandwiches. Yeah, I like mayo. Probably too much.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I once made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that I dipped in french-toast batter and fried it up on a skillet. Thats about as extreme as it got for me, but it was a caloric bomb for sure.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Alias

@humanity: That sounds incredible. When I cooked noodles I sometimes used to just throw some heated peanut butter on them and I thought it was pretty good.

I used to eat a lot of banana sandwiches. It was the right mixture of carbohydrate I needed for the afternoon and I liked it.

Cucumber, tomato, ham and just a little bit of onion / spring onion if I felt like it was pretty good too.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm kind of lazy so an easy one for me is white bread, light cream cheese and raw tomato slices. It's even better if you spice it up with black pepper, salt and some thyme. Otherwise it's mostly different kinds of continental european cheese on white bread.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I once made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that I dipped in french-toast batter and fried it up on a skillet. Thats about as extreme as it got for me, but it was a caloric bomb for sure.

Now we're talkin! That sounds like something I would like a bite of.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rep Muffalatta hard. Those and Cubanos are my go to sammies.

Sadly I don't make sandwiches at home very often, and if I do, it's only cause of leftovers. Way too much equipment / ingredients involved for just a single dude, unless I'm eating them on the daily.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

A really good BLT (Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato) w/ garlic Aioli is not respected enough. Some crusty bread, good thick bacon, home-garden tomato, a single lettuce leaf, and a nice spread is perfect.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

I love a meatball sandwich or a philly cheesesteak

just_a_box

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By just_a_box

The muffalatta is excellent. Growing up one of my favorites was always a homemade meatball sub. Take a nice hard roll, cut open. Spread red sauce on the inside and liberally add parmesan. Take those tasty homemade meatballs, split in half, and place them inside. Perfection.

I'm also a big fan of a good banh mi.

Also, DiNic's in Reading Terminal Market has a great roast pork, although I haven't had it in years.

And how can I forget a good Pastrami? Katz's may be a tourist attraction but they still make a mean sandwich.

Edit: almost forgot, BBQ sandwiches. Carolina style pulled pork or Texas brisket on a roll. Yum

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm a sucker for a good Cuban. Roast pork, ham, swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard in a pressed sandwich. It's simple but delicious.

That muffalatta looks like it would put me into a carb coma that I would never recover from.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Grinder / Cubano / Club, anything in that range is a sure-fire hit for me.

At home, I almost entirely eat delivery since my kitchen is pretty non-functional. I typically don't have any groceries in the apartment at all. When I do, it's usually some kind of organic wheat bread, some kind of turkey, some kind of ham...and bologna, because I can just sit and snack on it like an utter pig. I'm not even sure what my preference is, I shop so infrequently - I think I'm not a fan of Black Forest ham?

Anyway,

2 slices of bread

3-5 slices of turkey, layered just so so that the sandwich is thickest in the middle and light on turkey at one end

2-4 slices of bologna, evenly distributed

3-5 slices of ham, layered same as the turkey so that one end is light on ham

This seems like a huge sandwich every time I make it, but I could eat two or three of them at a time, and I'm somebody who feels full after eating 8 wings and a cup of soup so I'm not sure what it is about this sandwich that makes it so easy to consume for me. Probably all the drugs in the meat!

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good old-fashioned grilled cheese sandwich.

1. Good sourdough bread
  2. 2 slices of gouda, 2 slices of havarti
  3. Put in a panini press until the cheese is nice and gooey.
  4. Slice into squares, not triangles, because you are not a savage.
  5. Enjoy.

thethirdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My brother and I invented this sandwich when we were latchkey kids in the 80s. It still tastes good today (I'M SORRY, YOU WILL ALL HATE THIS):

The salad cream sandwich - take a slice of bread, apply Heinz Salad Cream liberally to bread. Put yet more Heinz Salad Cream on bread. Top with another slice of bread. Eat and enjoy your stay in flavour town.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Even if no restaurant I've ever been to has served it the same way twice, I've never had a bad Cubano. If I'm making a sandwich for myself, my go to is this - ciabatta, garlic aioli (or just mayo), pickles, cheddar cheese, lettuce, Parmesan cheese, and a baked chicken patty. Yes, the cheapo chicken patties you get from the freezer section of a store. Make sure you get that cheddar cheese on the patties a minute before they're done baking for the best possible sandwich.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Amazing stuff here, I want to give a boost to desperation sandwiches, two slices of bologna and an individually wrapped cheese-like substance on white bread has fed me as a hungry child and saved me as a drunken man. Otherwise the Italian/godfather hero is king, with bacon egg cheese salt pepper ketchup on a roll from the centereach deli being the actual greatest sandwich of all time.