Fact: Avatar will not win best picture at the Oscars.

• 86 results
coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

Edited By coolarman

I am posting this because people are so sure that Avatar will win the oscar but me i am not convinced. The reason i think people are so sure that Avatar will win, in my view, is just because it won the best picture at the golden globes. Now allow me to say this: JUST BECAUSE A MOVIE WINS THE BEST PICTURE DOESN'T MEAN IT WILL WIN THE OSCAR. Allow me to point all of you to the facts. 

The 2008 winner of the best picture of the golden globes was Slumdog Millionaire . The Oscar Slumdog Millionaire.   

2007 GG: Atonement. Oscar: No Country for Old Men
2006 GG: Babel. Oscar: The Departed 
2005 GG: Brokeback Mountain. Oscar: Crash. (Crash wasn't even nominated for the Golden Globe) 
2004 GG: The Aviator. Oscar: Million Dollar Baby 
2003 GG: LOTR ROTK. Oscar: Same movie 
2002 GG: The Hours. Oscar: Chicago. (Again Chicago wasn't nominated for the Golden Globe) 

I can keep this list going but as you can see there is only two time that the Oscars and the Golden Globes gave the best picture to the same movie. Now i realize that the Academy is very unpredictable with their awards so they might give the Oscar to something crazy like Up (not that it doesn't deserve it. Its just that its an animated film I'm not sure that The Oscars would do that). So there are my thoughts. 

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By coolarman

I am posting this because people are so sure that Avatar will win the oscar but me i am not convinced. The reason i think people are so sure that Avatar will win, in my view, is just because it won the best picture at the golden globes. Now allow me to say this: JUST BECAUSE A MOVIE WINS THE BEST PICTURE DOESN'T MEAN IT WILL WIN THE OSCAR. Allow me to point all of you to the facts. 

The 2008 winner of the best picture of the golden globes was Slumdog Millionaire . The Oscar Slumdog Millionaire.   

2007 GG: Atonement. Oscar: No Country for Old Men
2006 GG: Babel. Oscar: The Departed 
2005 GG: Brokeback Mountain. Oscar: Crash. (Crash wasn't even nominated for the Golden Globe) 
2004 GG: The Aviator. Oscar: Million Dollar Baby 
2003 GG: LOTR ROTK. Oscar: Same movie 
2002 GG: The Hours. Oscar: Chicago. (Again Chicago wasn't nominated for the Golden Globe) 

I can keep this list going but as you can see there is only two time that the Oscars and the Golden Globes gave the best picture to the same movie. Now i realize that the Academy is very unpredictable with their awards so they might give the Oscar to something crazy like Up (not that it doesn't deserve it. Its just that its an animated film I'm not sure that The Oscars would do that). So there are my thoughts. 

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By turboman

Avatar is a terrible movie plot-wise... it's only good because of the amazing effects(which it should win every technical achievement award) 

One dimensional characters, cheesy romances, and forgettable plot lines doesn't make it a great movie 2 years from now

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Interfect

Blue , fish, cat, monkey people?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho

Babel won a Golden Globe? Yikes.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#5  Edited By JackiJinx

Golden Globes is a popularity contest. Oscars is more about picking the best movie...though I still think The Queen should've won in 2006. The Departed was my second choice.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Adamantium

I think you're right. Sci-Fi movies don't win Best Pic Oscars. It's one of those dirty unwritten Hollywood rules.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By armaan8014

Avatar is going to win whether you like it or not.. 
I sure don't like it.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By coolarman
@JackiJinx said:

" Golden Globes is a popularity contest. Oscars is more about picking the best movie...though I still think The Queen should've won in 2006. The Departed was my second choice. "

EXACTLY. One of the critics i listen to says that the hollywood foreign press association just gives awards to the most popular things out there. 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

A Serious Man will win because the don't ask don't tell debate is firing up. Don't you know anything about the Oscars? Liberal agenda pushers. And I say that as a left leaner.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Bones8677

I think Avatar will win because the Hollywood elites eat these movies up. Hollywood loves to get political when it comes to movies that have just a smidgen of politics in it.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By AgentJ

Does this even need to be said? Avatar will not win best picture when it wasn't even nominated for best screenplay. That hasn't happened to any movie since................Titanic........ 

Seriously though, Avatar was great, and a lot of fun, but it won't win the oscar for best picture. That will almost certainly be "The Hurt Locker" 
@Bones8677 said:

" I think Avatar will win because the Hollywood elites eat these movies up. Hollywood loves to get political when it comes to movies that have just a smidgen of politics in it. "
Yeah, but they don't like those pop / action movies. Thats why stuff like The Dark Knight are never taken seriously. 
Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Adamantium

No, no, no. OP is right. Avatar will not win, regardless of anyone's personal feelings toward the movie.

Here, take a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_Picture

How many sci-fi movies have won (the winners are labeled in yellow)? Take your time.

That's right... Sci-Fi movies frequently get nominated, but never win.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

Fantasy movies occaionally win, and ridiculously expensive movies often win. So it stands a chance with those two factors.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

so true but award shows are stupid now in days. they are all based upon popularity.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Adamantium
@ryanwho said:
" Fantasy movies occaionally win, and ridiculously expensive movies often win. So it stands a chance with those two factors. "
Yeah, I'll definitely give you that. Plus the James Cameron factor goes a long way. But I'm wholeheartedly convinced that Avatar won't win, only time will tell, I suppose.
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheHT

OH HEY OP CAN I BORROWS YOU TIME MACHINE SOMETIME BROSKI?!

Seriously though, 3 reasons Avatar might not win: The Hurt Locker, Precious, Up In The Air.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TwoOneFive
@TheHT said:

" OH HEY OP CAN I BORROWS YOU TIME MACHINE SOMETIME BROSKI?!  Seriously though, 3 reasons Avatar might not win: The Hurt Locker, Precious, Up In The Air. "

golden globes... 
and all three of those films are very overrated... and i loved the hurt locker. 
im gonna come back to this when it does win... and make fun of the OP. 
jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By jack_daniels
@TurboMan said:
" Avatar is a terrible movie plot-wise... it's only good because of the amazing effects(which it should win every technical achievement award)  One dimensional characters, cheesy romances, and forgettable plot lines doesn't make it a great movie 2 years from now "
Yeah, anyone who saw Avatar wasted there money and should be put to sleep. *sarcasm*
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By apathylad

Yeah, I told a Avatar-fan friend that District 9 got a best picture nomination with like 10% of Avatar's budget, and he responded that it doesn't matter since he thinks Avatar will win. I hope it doesn't win though, as I agree with what Ryan said on this week's podcast.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TwoOneFive
@coolarman said:
" I am posting this because people are so sure that Avatar will win the oscar but me i am not convinced. The reason i think people are so sure that Avatar will win, in my view, is just because it won the best picture at the golden globes. Now allow me to say this: JUST BECAUSE A MOVIE WINS THE BEST PICTURE DOESN'T MEAN IT WILL WIN THE OSCAR. Allow me to point all of you to the facts.  The 2008 winner of the best picture of the golden globes was Slumdog Millionaire . The Oscar Slumdog Millionaire.     2007 GG: Atonement. Oscar: No Country for Old Men2006 GG: Babel. Oscar: The Departed 2005 GG: Brokeback Mountain. Oscar: Crash. (Crash wasn't even nominated for the Golden Globe) 2004 GG: The Aviator. Oscar: Million Dollar Baby 2003 GG: LOTR ROTK. Oscar: Same movie 2002 GG: The Hours. Oscar: Chicago. (Again Chicago wasn't nominated for the Golden Globe)  I can keep this list going but as you can see there is only two time that the Oscars and the Golden Globes gave the best picture to the same movie. Now i realize that the Academy is very unpredictable with their awards so they might give the Oscar to something crazy like Up (not that it doesn't deserve it. Its just that its an animated film I'm not sure that The Oscars would do that). So there are my thoughts.  "
also, the movies you thought deserved it are all wrong. the movies that won, like the departed and million dollar baby, totally deserved it. 
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By turboman
@Jack_Daniels:  

I said plot-wise. 
Avatar is an experience everyone should see. 
But is it the best movie of the year? No. It's not in the top 30.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TwoOneFive
@Jack_Daniels said:
" @TurboMan said:
" Avatar is a terrible movie plot-wise... it's only good because of the amazing effects(which it should win every technical achievement award)  One dimensional characters, cheesy romances, and forgettable plot lines doesn't make it a great movie 2 years from now "
Yeah, anyone who saw Avatar wasted there money and should be put to sleep. *sarcasm* "
this is ridiculous.  
it always happens though, as soon as a movie, like the Dark Knight, becomes extremely popular, a ton of people come out of nowhere to be all snobbish and say its terrible.  
Well $2 Billion plus disagrees with you.  
and you cant say good marketing is the reason why at all, i never saw lots of trailers or any bilboards. it simply got this much money because of word-of-mouth. only on the internet do i find all this annoying ass jaded opinions. 
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TwoOneFive
@TurboMan said:
" @Jack_Daniels:   I said plot-wise. Avatar is an experience everyone should see. But is it the best movie of the year? No. It's not in the top 30. "
that doesn't make any sense. 
if EVERYONE SHOULD see it, how the fuck is it not one of the top 30 films of the year?! if not the best?!
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheHT
@TwoOneFive said:
" @TheHT said:

" OH HEY OP CAN I BORROWS YOU TIME MACHINE SOMETIME BROSKI?!  Seriously though, 3 reasons Avatar might not win: The Hurt Locker, Precious, Up In The Air. "

golden globes... and all three of those films are very overrated... and i loved the hurt locker. im gonna come back to this when it does win... and make fun of the OP.  "
Hm? What about Golden Globes?
zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zdgro

I personally thought District 9 was the best sci-fi movie of '09... Avatar was a fun movie... I just don't think it deserves all the hype and James Cameron worshipping that it has caused.

The thing is I think James Cameron is a huge douchebag sociopath who thinks that he shits gold and sweats diamonds, and I just want to punch him right in the dick.

PS: Avatar is Pocahontas in space:

http://andyoflove.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/avatar-pocahontas-500x486.jpg
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By turboman
@TwoOneFive:  

Because it's a visual experience that no other movie can currently offer. It's a great popcorn movie. Is it a movie with any depth or interesting story that's not going to be lost three years from now? No. 

Remember King Kong?
zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zdgro
@TurboMan: Right on brotha, fight back against the obsessed fanboys who wouldnt know good filmmaking if martin scorsese shoved it in their frontal lobe.
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hot_Karl

Ah, it's gonna be really close. Avatar was the front-runner for a good while. It's a two picture race: Avatar vs. The Hurt Locker with Inglourious Basterds being the dark horse pic.

Avatar is the "popular" pick, while Locker is the smart pick. I don't think that Avatar will win, but it's going to be extremely close. I would not count the movie out, not by a long shot.

Besides, if Lord of the Rings won Best Picture, who says that Avatar can't?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TwoOneFive
@VinceNotVance said:
" Ah, it's gonna be really close. Avatar was the front-runner for a good while. It's a two picture race: Avatar vs. The Hurt Locker with Inglourious Basterds being the dark horse pic.

Avatar is the "popular" pick, while Locker is the smart pick. I don't think that Avatar will win, but it's going to be extremely close. I would not count the movie out, not by a long shot.

Besides, if Lord of the Rings won Best Picture, who says that Avatar can't? "
locker is the smart pic? why? because its a completely unrealistic movie about a guy who is so cartoonish its impossible to take seriously? 

@TurboMan said:
" @TwoOneFive:   Because it's a visual experience that no other movie can currently offer. It's a great popcorn movie. Is it a movie with any depth or interesting story that's not going to be lost three years from now? No.  Remember King Kong? "
i found the movie to have a ton of depth and many interesting things in the story. the overall plot is basic been-there-done that but theres a lot more to be explored. 
Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Roger778

Avatar is one of the best movies I've seen lately, but at the same time, I don't think it's best picture material.  The only complaint I have about the movie is that it's way too similar to Dances With Wolves, in which an outsider falls in love with another culture, and joins their society.  But the visuals are absolutely stunning, and it has some intense action.   I think if the movie does win any awards, it will mostly be technical (like Best Visual Effects, and best sound effects, for example.) 

I still haven't seen The Hurt Locker, which I so want to see, or Precious, or Up in the Air.  I'm waiting for them all to come onto Netflix.  So, yeah, I don't think that Avatar will win Best Picture, but I'm not sure, either.
jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By jmrwacko
@TurboMan said:
" @Jack_Daniels:   I said plot-wise. Avatar is an experience everyone should see. But is it the best movie of the year? No. It's not in the top 30. "
Top 30 films... of the year? I beg to differ.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TwoOneFive
@jmrwacko said:
" @TurboMan said:
Top 30 films... of the year? I beg to differ. "
i cant even name 30 films this year lol not even 20
zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zdgro

Ah, it is all pointless anyway... the academy is all about art house crap and foreign films, and nothing even matters anymore...

I lost all faith for the oscars when ang lee got best director for brokeback mountain... I am beginning to think it is all about public image and how they want to show that they arent bigots and they cant just like a movie for being good, but they have to appease minorities and seem like good people.... It is basically like politicians trying to seem like the good guy to as many people as possible.

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By TheLawnWrangler
@ryanwho: if A Serious Man won, I'd shit my pants jesus christ that would be amazing 

as long as Fantastic Mr. Fox wins best animated, then I is happeh 
No Caption Provided
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TwoOneFive
@ZGoon said:
" Ah, it is all pointless anyway... the academy is all about art house crap and foreign films, and nothing even matters anymore...  I lost all faith for the oscars when ang lee got best director for brokeback mountain... I am beginning to think it is all about public image and how they want to show that they arent bigots and they cant just like a movie for being good, but they have to appease minorities and seem like good people.... It is basically like politicians trying to seem like the good guy to as many people as possible. "
i dunno...is departed art house crap?? 
what about slumdog millionaire? 
I think Avatar will win it based on last few years selections..
zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zdgro
@TwoOneFive: Well I guess it is off and on... I thought the departed was one of the best movies of the decade, but I still havent seen slumdog millionaire.

I thought avatar was fun and awesome, but i liked district 9 better, and i havent seen any of the other ones nominated because they really dont interest me very much.

ALSO... I don't want to see James Cameron's stupid douchebag face up there thanking himself for how awesome he isn't. As a Canadian he is a shame to my nation and I would love to see him fail at avatar 2 or whatever the hell else he is making next.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

To regurgitate the oft-used argument on this site: Who cares?! It's just an opinion, right? Right?

....... Right?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By turboman
@TwoOneFive said:
" @jmrwacko said:
" @TurboMan said:
Top 30 films... of the year? I beg to differ. "
i cant even name 30 films this year lol not even 20 "

Lets Do this.  
In no particular order

1. Inglorious Bastards
  2. Up
  3. Up in the air
  4. Where The Wild Things Are
  5. The Hurt Locker
  6. Moon
  7. Ponyo
  8. In The Loop
  9. Drag Me To Hell
  10. The Informant
  11. Zombieland
  12. A Serious Man
  13. District 9
  14. The Hangover
  15. Coraline
  16. Star Trek
  17. Watchmen
  18. It Might Get Loud
  19. The Brothers Bloom
  20. Fantastic Mr. Fox
  21. Away We Go
  22. Harry Potter
  23. Precious
  24. Observe and Report
  25. Adventure Land
  26. Slumdog Millionaire(technically 2009 movie)
  27. Anvil! Story of Anvil
  28. Funny People(first half is phenomenal)
  29. The Wrestler
  30. Big Fan

I would recommend all of these movies over Avatar.
Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Trilogy

Fact: My butt itches.

zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By zdgro
@TurboMan: Wow really, I thought observe and report was horribly unfunny and I was sad to see Seth Rogen in such a terrible movie. Drag me to Hell WAS pretty hilarious though. 

I would definitely have avatar in my top ten though (out of the movies i have seen lol) : 
1. District 9          2. Inglourious Basterds           3. Sherlock Holmes         4. Terminator Salvation        5. Xmen Origins: Wolverine         
6.Star Trek           7.The Hangover                        8.Avatar                               9. Law Abiding Citizen          10. I Love You Man

PS: I am sad to say I havent seen Public Enemies, Up, Taking of Pelham 123, Funny People, Me Who Stare at Goats, and Invictus.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By turboman
@ZGoon: Observe and Report is this generation's Taxi Driver in disguise.. brilliant moments of dark comedy scattered throughout.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ryax
@nofx4208: god damn right fantastic mr fox is gonna win best animated pic. i love that movie. its just a good movie. not so much geared towards kids as much as it could be.
zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By zdgro
@TurboMan: It is a horrible travesty and an insult to the world of film to say that Observe and Report is at all similar to Taxi Driver. You must have some serious problems with sight and hearing and frankly most of your senses to compare the two.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By c1337us
@Adamantium said:
" I think you're right. Sci-Fi movies don't win Best Pic Oscars. It's one of those dirty unwritten Hollywood rules. "
You may be right. But in this case it should just be a case of Avatar isn't that good, problem solved. I think District 9 is probably more worthy of Oscar talk in terms of Sc-Fi offerings, or movies with Sci-Fi aspects at least. Even then there are probably a few more, more likely choices ahead of that film also. I loved that journo in the background you could hear going "Yeah!" when Inglorious Basterds was nominated. I guess it isn't too hard to work out who he was going for.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By Afroman269

Hmm. Personally I think Avatar would get it because of the huge momentum this movie has had and I can see the Academy Awards bending to it and giving it the award. I would prefer if Hurt Locker got the movie instead, but my true desire that I know won't happen would be for District 9 to take the award but I do realize that will just be in my dreams.

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By TheLawnWrangler
@Ryax:  i don't know man, Pixar has the academy under puppet strings, as I've noticed. but yeah, it's not so much a kids movie, but one that all can enjoy... specifically adults o.o
@TurboMan: hey, Observe and Report! <_< (I actually love that movie haha)     
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hot_Karl
@TwoOneFive: It's the smart pick because it has hype & momentum behind it. Dozens of critic's best of lists & other "Best Picture" awards make it the "smart" choice.
 I'll disagree with you about the film being "unrealistic" however.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By turboman
@c1337us said:
" @Adamantium said:
" I think you're right. Sci-Fi movies don't win Best Pic Oscars. It's one of those dirty unwritten Hollywood rules. "
You may be right. But in this case it should just be a case of Avatar isn't that good, problem solved. I think District 9 is probably more worthy of Oscar talk in terms of Sc-Fi offerings, or movies with Sci-Fi aspects at least. Even then there are probably a few more, more likely choices ahead of that film also. I loved that journo in the background you could hear going "Yeah!" when Inglorious Basterds was nominated. I guess it isn't too hard to work out who he was going for. "
If any sci-fi movie should win, it's Moon.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By c1337us
@TurboMan: I'll be honest I haven't seen Moon. Actually, I haven't even heard of it.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By turboman
@ZGoon said:
" @TurboMan: It is a horrible travesty and an insult to the world of film to say that Observe and Report is at all similar to Taxi Driver. You must have some serious problems with sight and hearing and frankly most of your senses to compare the two. "
Both movies protagonists are psychopaths that lay off their meds. Both movies protagonists are men who have shit lives and you discover while watching the movie that if life gave them a chance, they could be amazing people(Ronnie could be a great policeman if given the chance). That is the comparison.