FIREFLY AWARENESS. and my Jayne hat

Avatar image for deactivated-5c85872ac80d3
deactivated-5c85872ac80d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My favourite TV series of the last decade was Firefly. And whilst some if not most people that have watched it won't agree with me, most will agree that it is an exceptional TV show.

For those of you whom aren't acquainted with Firefly. It was the follow up TV show by Buffy creator Joss Whedon, aired on September 20th 2002 it was cancelled on December 2002 after only 11 episodes. To sum up that quick cancellation under the phrase one of my friends Harrison often uses- 'you guys weren't there when the show was on TV, but now you're like wearing the hat!'

Actually that phrase was directly in reference to the show... but it's true.

And there you have it, years on people are still celebrating the awesomeness of Firefly despite the cancellation. In fact one of the cooler things I have noticed is how people will discover it today and love it as if it were still on TV, and hence where this blog and my Facebook photo album comes into play.

What started out as a 'thing' me and my fellow DS London friends did turned into a little advertising machine on Facebook. People wondered where the hat was from and then would check out the show.

So if you a fellow Firefly fan, feel free to add me up on Facebook or send me a photo on here, I'll Photoshop it on your melon!

I don't think we can get a sequel for the film by getting enough hats on people's heads, I just want to spread the joy. And at least with this blog it will make you think about catching it some day, after all thats how I got into it - link to blog that made me want to watch it, plus if you check the comments you can see one that I wrote ages ago.

And remember 'can't stop the signal'

OH AND I ALMOST FORGOT HERES THE LINK TO MY FRIENDS 'I LOVE JAYNES HAT' GROUP ON FACEBOOK

Amazon link to buy the boxset for £12 only!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favourite TV series of the last decade was Firefly. And whilst some if not most people that have watched it won't agree with me, most will agree that it is an exceptional TV show.

For those of you whom aren't acquainted with Firefly. It was the follow up TV show by Buffy creator Joss Whedon, aired on September 20th 2002 it was cancelled on December 2002 after only 11 episodes. To sum up that quick cancellation under the phrase one of my friends Harrison often uses- 'you guys weren't there when the show was on TV, but now you're like wearing the hat!'

Actually that phrase was directly in reference to the show... but it's true.

And there you have it, years on people are still celebrating the awesomeness of Firefly despite the cancellation. In fact one of the cooler things I have noticed is how people will discover it today and love it as if it were still on TV, and hence where this blog and my Facebook photo album comes into play.

What started out as a 'thing' me and my fellow DS London friends did turned into a little advertising machine on Facebook. People wondered where the hat was from and then would check out the show.

So if you a fellow Firefly fan, feel free to add me up on Facebook or send me a photo on here, I'll Photoshop it on your melon!

I don't think we can get a sequel for the film by getting enough hats on people's heads, I just want to spread the joy. And at least with this blog it will make you think about catching it some day, after all thats how I got into it - link to blog that made me want to watch it, plus if you check the comments you can see one that I wrote ages ago.

And remember 'can't stop the signal'

OH AND I ALMOST FORGOT HERES THE LINK TO MY FRIENDS 'I LOVE JAYNES HAT' GROUP ON FACEBOOK

Amazon link to buy the boxset for £12 only!

GamingReligion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By GamingReligion

Never saw the show, but I love Serenity, which if I'm not mistaken (and if I got this mixed up, I'll feel like and idiot) was based off this show?

Like I said, loved that movie, and will have to check out the series. It's a shame it got canceled, I'm sure after checking some of it out I'll be dying for more. But I guess you've had to go through that, huh?

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Driadon
@GamingReligion: Serenity wrapped up the main plot line of the show. If you loved Serenity, go check out Firefly immediately.
GamingReligion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GamingReligion
@Driadon: Hehe, sold.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho

Doll house is cancelled so maybe he'll revisit this. Really nobody from the cast has anything going on other than Nathan Fillion doing that kind of painful-to-watch Castle.

gregva756

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gregva756

Such a great show. This, Doctor Who and MST3k are hands down my favorite shows.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By harris

Best show ever. I might have to watch it again after reading this.

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jinxman

Best show of the decade?  Firefly is the greatest piece of human entertainment ever created.  It probably won't get any better than Firefly.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Mrnitropb

Watch it on Hulu every once in a while. They're cycling through the episodes right now. Also, since Hulu is studio supported everything you watch it there, its tracked. 

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By teh_destroyer

Great show. 
<3 Jayne Cobb.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By zeforgotten

That's it, I've changed my ringtone back to the one it was before. 

Here's a hint: 
Oh, He robbed from the rich 
and he gave to the poor. 
Stood up to the man 
and he gave him what for. 
Our love for him now 
ain't hard to explain. 
The hero of Canton 
the man they call Jayne.

I like Wash a lot more though, his random sillyness is just pure gold in my eyes. 
"Oh, my God. What can it be? We're all doomed! Who's flying this thing?! 
Oh right, that would be me, back to work"

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentofChaos

Firefly was a fantastic show with a fantastic premise, and hopefully one day we will see more from this universe (maybe not necessarily the Serenity crew). It was one of my favorite TV shows of all-time. Hey, if the TV thing doesn't pan out, maybe a video game is just what this series needs.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AgentofChaos
@markB0SS:
One problem i have with ya dude. In the IGN blog you linked to you, the guy totally hates on the theme song and title credits which IMO is one of the most memorable things about Firefly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FIRST OF ALL, ALL FIREFLY FANS, AND GENERAL AWESOME PEOPLE. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD ME UP ON FACEBOOK!

@ryanwho: DUDE! DOLLHOUSE IS CANCELLED!! NOOOOOOOOOO, thats lame man, I thought it was doing well. and here I am watching Smallville a show that really need to be cancelled.
@gregva756: glad to hear it man, it is great right
@harris: DO IT, DO IT NOW! 
@jinxman: I think I love you <3
@teh_destroyer: love the profile pic! 
@ZeForgotten: thats one of my favourite lines from the show, the Wash one. Awesomes.
@AgentofChaos: I know what you mean, that dude that wrote the blog does whine about the opening music, but still he liked it alot and that was enough to push me to seek out the DVD boxset and watch the show. Well Actually I lie the first time I watched it, it was a pirate download, but after that, I got the boxset.
CharkeeFarlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By CharkeeFarlee

Omg yes i absolutely LOVE firefly
i am so gutted that it was only a one series/one film thing!
Jayne is by far my favourite character :D
Awesome hat!
i want one D;

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Seppli

I like Firefly. But it's nothing special. Wouldn't have cried a tear about the cancellation, if I was aware of it back in the day. Now 'Kings' is a show, which was too good for TV and its cancellation was a crime against humanity.

By the way - if you like/love Firefly/Serenity, you will love everything from Leiji Matsumoto. His shit is the real Space Pirate/Cowboy shit! And I certainly love me some Interstella 5555.

This is Captain Herlock/Harlock
 This is Captain Herlock/Harlock

This is his spaceship, the Arcadia
 This is his spaceship, the Arcadia

Enjoy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CharkeeFarlee: hey man, theres a few places around online that do it for ya, or you could just search round for it.
@Seppli: looks interesting man will check it out. Someone else reccommended me to Cowboy Bebop from my love of Firefly, and thats DA BOMB!
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By Seppli
@markB0SS: 

Cowboy Bebop is one superior anime! Love that shit. It's seldom that an anime has such a broad appeal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Seppli: deffo! :)
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I absolutely love Firefly, but like you said, lots of us don't agree and I don't think its the best of the decade. What it managed in a few episodes though, is nothing short of breathtaking. Successful characterisation and a plot worth a damn. I wasn't keen on Dollhouse (Whedon's recent, cancelled show) but it picked up enormously in the second season and with a end date drawing near, started firing on all pistons (it quickly moves away from stand alone episodes to a much more interesting story arc concerning the technology and where mankind is headed) - worth looking out if you're a fan.

For the record, I have loved a lot of tv over the last ten years and as far as I'm concerned are only now moving out of the golden age.

Literally scratching the surface (and only the BIG names really)...

The Wire
The Sopranos
Battlestar Galactica
Angel
Lost
Firefly

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Firefly was the best show which ever made it to the small screen.  Bumpage for Whedon love.

I find it so strange that it's divided people at all really.  It has heart, comedy, excellent action, proper silence in space and a well chosen cast all of whom bring something original to the show and the science fiction genre as a whole.  I can't say that I love all of Whedon's works but when he does something well he does it extraordinarily so and really schools people who've been giants in the genres which he succeeds in.  Dr Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog is another example of Whedon showing the people who've been succeeding at internet episodal content just how much further the envelope can and needs to be pushed for new content audiences to sit up and listen.

Goddam, I wish the rumours of a Serenity sequel turned out to be true.  There was such a tease going on and the DVDs sold really well.  UGH
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By Willy105

I saw the first episode on Hulu, it was like Han Solo: The TV Series. Pretty interesting, but I never really felt to continue to the second episode. I should try it again sometime.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ineedaname
@Willy105 said:

" I saw the first episode on Hulu, it was like Han Solo: The TV Series. Pretty interesting, but I never really felt to continue to the second episode. I should try it again sometime. "

First episode wasn't so good, picks up pretty much after that.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Ineedaname: 

Umm newp.  

You can't stop the signal.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ineedaname
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Captain_Insano

The guy who called Castle painful to watch is delusional, that show rocks. Love Firefly also.

I think the OP would appreciate this intro to one of the episodes of Castle

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Meowayne
@Willy105 said:
" I saw the first episode on Hulu, it was like Han Solo: The TV Series. Pretty interesting, but I never really felt to continue to the second episode. I should try it again sometime. "
Which first episode? The one that was aired first or the official one?

God, the cancellation of Firefly, and the dumb circumstances and reasons as to WHY it was cancelled are one of the greater TV tragedies of the 2000's. 

The time was right, the quality was there, and the audience was there - it was just incredibly stupid broadcasting policy and retardedness that nipped this gem in the bud.
jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By jack_daniels

Firefly is the best show of the decade. Wtf Fox. They fuck up everything good.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Willy105
@Meowayne said:
" @Willy105 said:
Which first episode? The one that was aired first or the official one?  God, the cancellation of Firefly, and the dumb circumstances and reasons as to WHY it was cancelled are one of the greater TV tragedies of the 2000's.   The time was right, the quality was there, and the audience was there - it was just incredibly stupid broadcasting policy and retardedness that nipped this gem in the bud. "
It was a long one.  First of Season 1 on Hulu.

Also, Kings was also unjustly canceled.
jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jinxman
@Captain_Insano said:
" The guy who called Castle painful to watch is delusional, that show rocks. Love Firefly also.

I think the OP would appreciate this intro to one of the episodes of Castle

"
hahaha, that's awesome...i really should start watching that show one of these days.