Friendly PSA: please keep a level head, even in trying times

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By laxbro19

Today is a raw day for a lot of people around the world, especially in France. It's always a sad and distressing time when we see innocent people get hurt by a small minority of extremists. I know that this may seem like arm chair counseling from someone who lives across an ocean, but I still think it's important that we have some grounding when we talk about horrendous acts like the one that happened in Nice, France.

Tonight I had the distinct displeasure of reading the live thread on Reddit for the Nice tragedy. There were people actually suggesting horrible things like genocide and rounding up religious groups as an appropriate response. The more astonishing thing was that no one seemed to bat an eye or object in the comments. It's scary times indeed when we see people offer up atrocities as solutions. It's times like these that we need to not get carried away. So here are some basic things to keep in mind:

1. Extremists in a minority aren't representative of an entire culture.

2. Branding people and coercing them due to their beliefs isn't just wrong, it's the root of all evil.

3. Violence is never the best solution.

4. Your rights to be safe stop at the point where you make it impossible for someone else to live theirs safely.

5. Don't let hate just happen. It is up to you to do something, not someone else.

6. While some opinions are hateful, they should be heard so we can all have a dialog and come to an understanding.

7. Never give in to the hate, live your life to the fullest.

for a large majority of you, these aren't new to you. But in these trying times, it's good to center yourself. It may seem easy to support extreme solutions in extreme times. but rarely do extreme solutions fix anything. It may be hard to go about your life when you don't feel safe, just know you're not alone. To show you i;m not some halfwit, let me share a story.

In 2001 I was 8 years old. I was in the first or second grade, I can't remember. But As many people do, I remember where I was when the attack happened. I was doing jumping jacks in gym class when the principle came over the loud speaker and announced that there was a tragedy happening in New York. We didn't stop doing gym class though. Our PE teachers went on with the day and told us that everything is fine and that we would be going home early today. From what I remember, I was whisked off to home room, was told to pack up my things and I was marched out of the school onto buses that would drop us off at our homes. I remember distinctly that my mom and dad were both there at the bus stop to greet me. My mom always greeted me, but my dad was usually at work. I got off the bus and they hugged my sister and I very tightly and took us inside for lunch. My sister and I ate lunch and my mom and dad sat us down after and explained to us what had happened as they were watching the news. They told me what had happened and why. To an 8 year old in an upper class household, mortality isn't quite as real as it is to others. I didn't fully realize the magnitude until years later.

The part I remember most about 9/11 wasn't the attack itself but how the adults in my life reacted to it. In particular, my teacher. The next day we all came back to school at the same time, but instead we all said the pledge of allegiance as one school outside and then continued as usual. When we got back inside, my teacher had the schedule of the day up on the board and she started to go through it and then said she had to talk about something first. She had us all gather in a semi circle in a corner of the room and started into a discussion about what america stands for. We had just had our first exposure to civics and she used that really well to broach the topic. She told us that there are very bad men and women who want to hurt others because we live differently than them and that they hated us for being tolerant of other religions. She followed that up by giving a general overview of Islam and how terrorists use it to justify their behavior. She then asked us if it was ok to bully people from the middle east, of which there was a girl who immigrated from Afghanistan when she was a baby in our class. We all answered "No", and she reiterated that and told us what the word hate meant, and that it was never ok to hate anyone, no matter what they do to you. She then told us that if you ever see someone verbally or physically hurting anyone for being different, that it was up to us get an adult and put a stop to it. She told us that she would try her best to keep an eye out, but that she couldn't watch all of us all the time. She then told us that when we grow and get older, we need to learn to police ourselves, because when you grow up no one can lookout for those who get bullied most for all the time. She then said that while the world is a scary place, there are also many positive aspects, and that we can still shape it for the better. She ended the conversation by saying that people are all different, and that it's important that we value them all as equals, no matter if they disagree with you.

For my teacher, it would've been very easy to just ignore the issue. She was dealing with children who didn't understand mortality to the fullest, much less what hate truly meant. But it leaves an impression to this day that she took the time to explain to her class that bad things happen, people may die or get hurt, but people can also be capable of being kind, and that the world is a largely positive place that we can do a lot to help make better for not just ourselves but others as well.

I've heard versions of this that go much differently. Where adults tell kids that we should be afraid of people who are different. I see those kids in my classes, and those adults in my life who taught those kids to fear differences. I don't want anyone else to have to live in fear and hate like these people. I hope that this story helps you to keep living your lives to the fullest, even when that may seem like a hard thing to do. Some days are harder than most to not give in, but everyday you stay solid to no give in is a victory no one can take from you.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

God, that teacher sounds like an angel.

And yeah, I stopped visiting Reddit and imgur after some time. People got way too stupid and straight up racist. I'd like to believe that they're not the norm, but looking at how Trump has so many supporters makes me think otherwise.

Toadstool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know how you feel, but the far-right and nationalism are on the rise and I don't see that changing without some kind of existential enlightenment worldwide.

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@toadstool: Part of me can't fault them for turning to that line of thinking, but ultimately, leaving people who are different than us out of our lives makes everyone poorer.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I apologize for my ignorance. But what happened today??

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lead_dispencer:

77+ People were killed in a terrorist attack in Nice, France. Mostly due to the ramming of a truck through a crowd of people celebrating Bastille Day.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mikemcn

Reddit is a thin layer of memes covering a white supremacist circle jerk, i wake up every day only because i'm convinced most people aren't like redditors. It's when i saw a top post in /r/all one day that was a screed about how everyone should have a "healthy amount of racism" in regards to black people that i knew i had to stop being a user of that site.

We'll get through this without embracing the id. I have to believe that we will.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I try to keep a level head in these situations but, it is becoming harder to do so. The part that gets me the most is these recent tragedies is that there is no clear way to prevent similar ones from happening again. America still can't prevent the lone gunman. There is no way to stop a driver from driving fast into people.

I don't think that it is possible to ever stop all tragedies but, these recent ones seem like they are especially unavoidable.

I hope I am wrong.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laxbro19: Really appreciate the message of this post and you're absolutely right.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even in the utopian future of star trek it got alot worse before it got better. We have a long way to go before we hit rock bottom. Then maybe we can rebuild the world.

Now we can only do our part to be good people and endure tragedy after tragedy until the rest of the world can learn to let go of their hate and embrace being human.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sravankb: I used to casually browse imgur while trying to pass time, but boy that site got incredibly racist and I just do not care to check it any more as a result.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

If you don't like the attitude of some of the people on Reddit, you should engage with them there. Going elsewhere to continue your argument only adds to the inability of people to engage in discussion in our modern age. Running off to find a friendly audience only seperates us more.

I agree with your assessment, for what it's worth, but I think people ahould be allowed to mourn before people go to the web to try and score points for their political ideals. Over here (in the region) we're all mourning... Christian, Muslim, Atheist, Other... and worrying about actions later. There does not appear to be a seconday, immediate threat. Let's honor the families who lost loved ones in a time of celebration before we worry about turning them into political ammunition in other parts of the world.

Seriously - no one is talking about the poor victims of this tragedy here.

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you very much for starting a dialog. I think it's incredibly important in these trying times. Stay safe everyone and know that my heart and soul go out to those affected by this horrific act of violence <3

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I haven't been following the news that closely, but a Swedish news site was headlining claims of the attacker being linked to ISIS, but I have been unable to find any real confirmation of this.

Besides the claims that the attacker was shouting "allahu akbar", are there any real evidence the attack was because of religious ideologies?

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There were 1.6 billion Muslims in the world as of 2010. 23% of the world's population. If that many people were murderous lunatics we'd all already be dead. It's not the religion.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jorbit

@sravankb: It's not that people "get" that way, it's that those people flock to social media whenever something happens. The cool level-headed people just aren't posting and being as loud as those people.

It's a good idea to never look at social media sites as a representation of the real world. If Reddit was representative of the real world's views then President Ron Paul would be running for his second term against Bernie Sanders.