• 60 results
aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

Edited By aurahack

Errr.... so I had a little free time after finishing this mammoth essay I spent the day writing. After seeing Dave Snider's twitter post, I decided to make my own GB video player mock-up because I love doing that kind of UI design stuff. It lacks the Forza 3-look Dave nailed, but I like what I got :3

No Caption Provided

Clicky here for a fullscreen shot of it, since Whiskey resizes.

It makes me think I designed a set-top box UI more than a video player, honestly. Oh, and it's themed by site. So the colored (red) text and boxes are for Giant Bomb, where as sites like Screened would be blue and Comic Vine would be, say, green.

Neat, no? What do y'all think? :D

(also, throw in some discussion here about features you'd like to see in a future video player update for discussion's sake. I saw Snide make a playlist feature in his design which is fuckin' baller)
aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By aurahack

Errr.... so I had a little free time after finishing this mammoth essay I spent the day writing. After seeing Dave Snider's twitter post, I decided to make my own GB video player mock-up because I love doing that kind of UI design stuff. It lacks the Forza 3-look Dave nailed, but I like what I got :3

No Caption Provided

Clicky here for a fullscreen shot of it, since Whiskey resizes.

It makes me think I designed a set-top box UI more than a video player, honestly. Oh, and it's themed by site. So the colored (red) text and boxes are for Giant Bomb, where as sites like Screened would be blue and Comic Vine would be, say, green.

Neat, no? What do y'all think? :D

(also, throw in some discussion here about features you'd like to see in a future video player update for discussion's sake. I saw Snide make a playlist feature in his design which is fuckin' baller)
Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ramyun

This looks amazing. Period.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By JJOR64

That looks fantabulous.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By ImperiousRix

*HEAD ESPLODE* 

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By aurahack
@ImperiousRix: OH GOD WHAT I HAVE DONE

@JJOR64: That isn't a word! But I'll thank you for it anyways. :D

@Ramyun: Why thank you, delicious food that I ate today! Edit: Whoa, I didn't actually fully look at your avatar. That's seriously the exact package I made. I fuckin' love Kimchi Ramyun. @_@
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By frankxiv

for a set top box ui i could see it yeah, but just in the video player on the site it seems like it would be a bit much.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7  Edited By recroulette

Damn that's slick.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Kierkegaard

Brilliant. My niggling beef with the player is that my mouse arrow doesn't disappear so I have to drag it to the corner, but this fixes and adds things I never even thought of. I would love to have playlists and more democratic choices as well as being able to get to another video without moving out of fullscreen. Great job!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JJOR64
@aurahack:   It's a word now.     :)
REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By REDRUN

You sir/mam, a gender that remains a mystery through the shroud of the interwebs, have a new follower.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By meteora

Video player is awesome. Makes our current one look dated as hell. =/

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zeforgotten

Yayification!

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Jambones

Would love the ability to queue up videos. The player looks great and I hope Top Men™ will take this into consideration.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By aurahack
@onimonkii: I think, ultimately, that design would only work as fullscreen. I wanted to make a simpler, out-of-fullscreen UI design but I didn't have the time. Nor do i really now, since it's 2h28 a.m. and I have class at 6...

@RecSpec: Thanks! :D

@Kierkegaard: As it is with mine. I loved Dave's design and his idea to do exactly what you said, which was browse for videos while in fullscreen. I hope it's an actual addition for the future. :o

@REDRUN: I'm whatever you want me to be ;D But thanks!

@Meteora: Thank you! :D And while true in some fashion, a lot of the stuff up there is just icing on a cake that shouldn't really be all that large. :P

@Jambones: That would be the highest of honors @_@

@ZeForgotten: WHAT IS WITH THESE MADE UP WORDS UP IN THIS JOINT.    ....    Thank you :D
REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By REDRUN
@aurahack:  You may want to eat those words. What if we were both stranded on a island and I wanted Ruben sandwich... Need I mention that I am really hungry.
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By frankxiv
@aurahack said:
" @onimonkii: I think, ultimately, that design would only work as fullscreen. I wanted to make a simpler, out-of-fullscreen UI design but I didn't have the time. Nor do i really now, since it's 2h28 a.m. and I have class at 6... "
that makes sense, still looks good anyways. go to sleep :3
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I'm not entirely sure what it is you did, but that looks pretty darn cool.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Kierkegaard

Oh, also, the twitter link leads to a blank page, hence my complete ignorance about Dave's post. 

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By aurahack
@Kierkegaard: Link works for me D: But then again, I tend to be all kinds of magical.

@MarkWahlberg: My girlfriend told me that last night. :o (thank you :D)
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zeforgotten
@aurahack: It's a word in Recettear: An Item Shops Tale . 
Just like Disasteriffic is a word in Final Fantasy X-2 ! 

Yes, I played X2. 
So I say again! .. Yayification, this didn't turn out to be disasteriffic at all! :D
aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By aurahack
@ZeForgotten: UUUUUUGH X-2. 

I approve of Recettear, however. Feel like poo that I didn't get to pick it up on Steam when it was on sale :(
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22  Edited By natetodamax

Great job, that looks fantastic.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I would love the queue up videos so I could re-watch every episode of the Endurance Run back to back.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By FlyingRat

After seeing this, i don't know how i've been able to use the site up unil now without a "chicken" playlist

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Xeiphyer

The queue idea is a good one =P I think if you are going to go and add all those videos on the bottom then you need a search option as well though.

Also while I always opt to fantasize about a diagonal line in playbars and bars of any kind, in reality they are really confusing since you don't know which part of the diagonal line is the actual point. 

Looks awesome though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somebody is trying to get a job with Giantbomb. Great job man, looks awesome.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Azteck

Oh my god queuing up videos. Yes please.

Also. I want playlists. EDIT: Oh wait you added them the video player is now complete.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TwoLines

It looks awesome, the only thing I'd change is that timeline bar, I'd like it to be more precise instead of being tilted.
But everything else- amazing.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By halberdierv2

thats definitely a lot better than the mock one dave had, and the one currently here.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By snide

Not bad, certainly much better than the normal stuff people send me. We are in fact building this right now as a subscriber only feature. It will be an HTML5 player that works in fullscreen on webkit browsers (Chrome, Safari...etc) and will work, as you guessed on set top boxes. Couple notes.  

• Somehow I forgot about the volume nob! Thanks for reminding me.    
  • When creating overlays, always use opacity generously. It's a subconscious reminder that this is something that will disappear if I leave my mouse alone.
  • Sometimes more features can be bad. At a certain point when you keep adding stuff on things can get busy and complicated. For repetitive actions like adding things to a playlist, I always hide the nav till there's a mouseover. Since this is an overlay, you want to keep a hard line on the UI over the video. In it's default state your menu options would stick out over that line.
  • Titles can be the same way. If you're only going to get a word or two in, don't bother, just show the title on hover.
  • People really like to know the length of the video they're watching. It gives them a sense of timing when they skip around.
  • The timeline bar is 100% going to be the most clicked element in the UI. Keep it big to make it easy to hit. There's also no point in saying "timeline", people know what it is.
  • While the stroke you added to the menu helps separate the elements, it's much easier to do that with proper whitespace (the empty space between elements). Adding too much border with too little padding tends to cramp things up a bit.

I've ultimately decided not to allow for playlist creation outside of a single "saved queue" for the simple reason that the vast majority of our members watch a movie only once. Since a lot of our videos are long, you often want to save something to watch it later, but very rarely would someone need to create separate playlists of a string of videos for rewatch purposes. This negates the ability to share, but...

A better use of such functionality would be to allow for the creations of clips and clip playlists, because then someone is making their own edit and providing something additive to the experience that we can't provide (For example, every Brad death or Brad pop-in). We're gonna wait till version 2 of the player for that stuff, and for version one keep it simple and fill the need of what people will most likely use it for, queuing up a single playlist so they can sit back and relax without having to worry about controls. 

Now let's see you try a new feature. It's easy to take a design that exists and build upon it, but it's tougher to start with a blank slate. Stretch out a bit.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I really like that.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By sweep  Moderator
I fucking love it. 

@snide
said:
"I've ultimately decided not to allow for playlist creation outside of a single "saved queue" for the simple reason that the vast majority of our members watch a movie only once. Since a lot of our videos are long, you often want to save something to watch it later, but very rarely would someone need to create separate playlists of a string of videos for rewatch purposes. This negates the ability to share, but... 

A better use of such functionality would be to allow for the creations of clips and clip playlists, because then someone is making their own edit and providing something additive to the experience that we can't provide (For example, every Brad death or Brad pop-in). We're gonna wait till version 2 of the player for that stuff, and for version one keep it simple and fill the need of what people will most likely use it for, queuing up a single playlist so they can sit back and relax without having to worry about controls.  Now let's see you try a new feature. It's easy to take a design that exists and build upon it, but it's tougher to start with a blank slate. Stretch out a bit. "
There should be the option to watch a series playlist - for example something like the Endurance Run. At the moment if you want to watch the Endurance Run from the start, every time you want to move to the next episode you have to click the "Endurance Run" tab and then navigate through about 8 pages to find the right video. And that's every time you want to start a next video. A solution was provided here, but being able to just press play and then watch a bunch of episodes consecutively would be great. 

Also, those anger management classes seem to be working ;)
zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34  Edited By zyn

WANT!

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By slyspider

please dont make it a member only thing! i already bought the iphone app the day it was released and now that thing's broken + watching video's from the website on iphone crashes all the time, so give us non-members this one! i already lost the ability to download videos, somthing that was free if you where smart, so dont leave us with this crappy current player

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GreggD

It looks pretty good! Just for clarification, though, the bottom of your screenshot is what would come up after a click or two after rolling your cursor over the video, right? It's not all there by default, yeah?

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By snide
@Sweep: Search will be in there. Don't worry, we know people will primarily be using this for the ER. 

@slyspider: Sorry, but we're going to continue to build better tools for our subscribers. They need to be paying for something!
aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By aurahack
@snide:  Those are some slick, wise words there. I actually had played around with opacity at the start of it but decided to fully color everything for simplicity's sake. That is, to make it simpler for me to just organize and color everything as a quick mock-up. 

If you'd care to, would you mind clarifying "Since this is an overlay, you want to keep a hard line on the UI over the video. In it's default state your menu options would stick out over that line." I would like to think you're referring to the red-outlined pop-up, but I can't be sure. Also, you're very much correct on the text part. It's probably the one thing I dislike the most out of what I ended up doing. =/ 

That said, I gladly take up your challenge. Since your original mock-up did not include the "queue" feature, I thought I had come up with something but it seems that's already in the works. Darnit! I'll have to think a little harder now.

@FlyingRat: Neither have I, friend. Neither have I.

@Xeiphyer: Search is a great idea, but I am unsure how to fit that into a re-worked design. Back to the drawingboard!

@PainGod89: While untrue (I do have college to finish), I will state the following: HOLY CHRIST YES PLEASE THANK YOU.

@Azteck: Dave is right, playlists are ultimately unnecessary since most videos on GB are far too long for such a tool. The only instance in where this could serve a purpose would be the Endurance Runs, but they have their own category and queueing up a series of episodes in the instant queue would ultimately achieve the same thing. :/

@TwoLines: That is what I added the "17.24" for. The tilted tracker looks neat, and you get the precision of where you're hopping to with that time indicator. It follows the tracker and tells where you are at in the timeline. A little hard to convey through a static picture, but it's a repeated issue so it's something I'll have to rethink :o

@Halberdierv2: Thank you! :D

@Sweep: This is also why I thought the playlist feature was neat, but see what I wrote to Azteck. Ultimately, the instant queue solves that problem-- especially if videos can be queued up from the "Videos" page of the site.

@slyspider: Despite being a customer of said app and sharing the same problems you do, I would think a more elaborate video player would be a great incentive to subscribe. Ultimately, you use the video to player to watch videos, so you're not particularly depriving yourself of anything. =/

@GreggD: It isn't, no. What I had in mind would be a simpler UI, much akin to the current one, there by default when the video is being played. Pausing would reveal the main (bottom) menu and other windows (such as the playlist and video detail windows) would appear by clicking on their respective buttons. It's difficult getting a full interface across through one static image, which is why all of it ends up looking MAD cluttered :(

@zyn: I WANT TO GIVE!
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Azteck
@aurahack: Alright, I'll give you, and him that. But if there was a playlist feature that wasn't just "hey we can make playlists make a playlist", but something that was generated by staff (in a way), it could be more useful. The Endurance Runs for example. Especially since it's such a hassle to watch them. Yeah, you can search for the specific episode but it's annoying. I can totally see why it's useless in the eyes of the programmers since they have to create it, but there are some areas where it could be useful.
aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By aurahack
@Azteck:  Which is where an in-UI search function would come in, a feature I thought of earlier that, like the queuing, is already in the works. :P
skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By skywing

you should have a job doing these things

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GreggD
@snide: Is Firefox a webkit browser? I only ask, because I don't much care for Chrome, and don't own a Mac, but would like to use the new features.
ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ma_rc_01

Nice, but personally I don't like crap flying over the video when I move my mouse

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By aurahack
@ma_rc_01: Only when paused would be my idea. I'd hate it, too, if that was the case. Probably would throw in a "Menu" button for that situation.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#45  Edited By wefwefasdf

Looks great. Just needs a "pop-out" button! :D

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MarkWahlberg
@aurahack said: 
 @MarkWahlberg: My girlfriend told me that last night. :o (thank you :D) "
Haha! Well played.
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By ThePickle

That looks great. I hate the new player. They should've stayed with the original one. 

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#48  Edited By Bigheart711

Nice one, Aurahack! That should be the new player for GB, but this could also affect the other whiskey sites as well if a staffer approves of this (which I hope).

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jasta

@aurahack:

Your stuff continues to amaze me. 

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points