Good Food on Long Island?

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'll be in the Bohemia area of Long Island as my 2nd job is flying me out. Anyway, I'm hoping to find some good food in the area. I will hopefully be able to get into the city a bit (I am going to a play Tuesday evening), but I'm really only going to be have any free time Tuesday through Thursday and as I understand it, it's an hour and a half train ride from the nearest station.

I eat and enjoy anything/everything, so if there's any must haves (even if it's in the city), please suggest away!

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

There's no point in asking where there's good food in the City. You might as well ask where there are tall buildings in the City. However, some of the best pizza on the Island is not that far from Bohemia. Little Vincent's in Lake Ronkonkoma is downright famous. Just realize that if you want anything other than plain cheese (in the NY metro area that's called Regular) or cold cheese (that's regular with shredded mozz on top) you're going to have to order ahead.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if you feel like heading to astoria, take a stroll down steinway, broadway, or 30th ave- those streets are silly with ethnic food of every variety. otherwise, yelp and foursquare are your friends.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By azulot

@veektarius: I get what you're saying. I guess if like someone were to ask about Seattle I'd say, when it comes to excellent desserts and a great drink to go with it hit up the Pie Bar. Or if you really like Mediterranean or want a fantastic brunch place head to Lola. It's not so much "where's good food" cause in such a major city, there's bound to be good food. It's more of a "what should I absolutely eat with such short time availability".

(Though when it comes to where I'm staying (right by MacArthur), if there's something decently good and nearby, that'd be absolutely helpful because I know that Monday and Friday, at least, I will not have time to head to the city). That being said, I super appreciate the pizza suggestion.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Katz Delicatessen

Buddy900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im a fan of the mcdonalds in Amityville

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

I don't know particular places but the bagels are wicked good. Something in the water they boil them in.

There are also lots of vineyards as you head east on the island and it becomes more rural, if you want to sample the local booze.

michael_katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Katz's deli, for sure, no doubt the best pastrami anywhere. Too many good pizza places but if you can make the trip Gravesend Brooklyn get a square slice at L&B Spumoni Gardens. Like said @mellotronrules Astoria has some great ethnic food, also check out Ditmars blvd there for Greek food at any place called taverna. For ethnic food also check out Jackson Heights and Flushing Neighborhoods in Queens.

The NY eater 38 list is pretty good, but far from gospel. http://ny.eater.com/maps/best-new-york-restaurants-38

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Nux

It's a little far from Bohemia but The Smoke Shack in Port Jeff has some of the best BBQ I have ever had.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sahalarious

Native Long Islander here, living abroad has made me appreciate things from home! Branchinellis pizza in Hauppauge is the best I have ever had in my life, and I stop by there no matter what I'm doing. Other than that, just go to non-chain bagel joints early on in the day, nowhere else in the world does bagels like NY. Egg everything with scallion cream cheese. Cinnamon Raisin bagel with strawberry cream cheese. Experiment, all the savory bagels and cream cheeses work together in a beautiful and cosmic way. Stop by a deli and get some kind of sandwich with a silly name, we do that better than most as well.

EDIT: if you go out east, grab some fresh roasted corn with butter and salt, so sweet and so good!

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks so much everyone, you've given me a great set of options and things to look forward to! I'm quite excited, particularly for bagels and pastrami. I'm hoping I can work earlier hours so that I have more time to get around.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azulot: Have fun! new yorkers aren't the meanies you see in the movies haha ask around people will be happy to help!