Great series TERRIBLE boxset

Avatar image for deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9
deactivated-5a55abbb2b8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You bought a series you enjoyed, but the boxset design was awful?

My story: I've started to build up a blu-ray collection over the past year or so. Just for fun, but won't deny I like to own things physically. Own few little gems like Dark City, which was kinda hard to find. Well, today I received my blu-ray collection of Twin Peaks. At first I really liked the outer design and the artwork inside. However, the collection has these awful scratch leaving disc sleeves. All of them are pretty much destroyed. I'll send them back for a refund of course. Still....this is the only blu-ray boxset available here in the UK and I checked online, there's plenty of people who had the same issue. It's the same reason why I bought X-files individually rather than the complete boxset.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really dislike the original Star Trek TOS DVD packaging. Not only is it super awkward and hard to get on a shelf with other Bluray and DVD sets, it's also hard to put back together after you're done watching a DVD. It opened in the middle like a clam shell almost, and for some reason the interior packaging never wants to go back in properly. I hate weird shaped sets.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By fram

I have a cool looking thin cardboard sleeve version of The Babadook on blu-ray. Great visually, but actually retrieving the disc from the packaging requires care and patience. Sliding the insert out too quickly scuffs the edges of the cardboard. I don't think it was very well thought out.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4 sweep  Moderator

Any DVD box which stacks up their disks so you have to take one out to get to the one underneath can fuck right off.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The worst box set I can think of isn't because of design but lack of content. Unfortunately the Beavis and Butthead box set leaves out nearly all of the music videos because of licensing issues. That was the best part of the show.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Aetheldod

Well theres this Clint Eastwood film collection that has a terrible sleeves for the DVDs instead of a more sensical "normal" placeholders .... the dvds are really hard to take out and I wonder how much damage that thing causes to the dvds themselves :/

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

An excellent box set overall, but the 1999 Nightmare on Elm Street set uses snap cases, which are always terrible. The plastic is brittle, they look and feel cheap as hell... definitely a big blemish on an otherwise great set.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep said:

Any DVD box which stacks up their disks so you have to take one out to get to the one underneath can fuck right off.

Oh god yes, so annoying!

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Star Trek TNG DVD box set was TERRIBLE.

No Caption Provided

It was both ugly and made it hard to find individual discs. I ended up throwing the box out and making my own.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltsmash: I'm actually interested in seeing you're version now.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Good lord, I can think of quite a few anime series that fit this descrption. The Ghost in the Shell SAC season 1 dvd set, for example. Each disc came in it's own separate case which was okay I guess and those all fit into this outer cardboard sleeve...which, despite the abundance of amazing artwork in GiTS, had some pretty lazy ass art on it and on top of that was flimsy as shit.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

those Simpsons sets in the shape of characters' heads are cheaply made and prone to completely falling apart.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Most anime blu-rays boxsets are pretty bad. Mainly they're just rehashes of the dvd boxset with more episodes on one disc.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The special edition of Doctor Who series 5 has a truly terrible box design. It's outside is a steel case style box, but inside the discs are held vertically by tiny pongs that grip the discs. It's so awful that my brain has forbidden me from watching it for fear of damaging the discs.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CreepingDeath0

The worst box set I can think of isn't because of design but lack of content. Unfortunately the Beavis and Butthead box set leaves out nearly all of the music videos because of licensing issues. That was the best part of the show.

In keeping with the lack of content thing, Adventure Time is finally being released on dvd here in the UK. Unfortunately the "complete" season 2 (which came out late last year) is missing several episodes. What makes it worse is that the episodes themselves are pretty important to the overall show. Any episode involving The Lich is cut and to put thatinto perspective for those that don't watch the show, he's one of the main antagonists that features heavily in later seasons.

It'll be interesting to see if later releases will still exclude the Lich, as that would mean finales and season premieres would be cut.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Not a series, but there are these vinyl compilations of various blues artists called the Blues Masterworks that have undoubtedly the worst packaging of anything I own. Everything, the main case, the paper sleeves and this ring that's meant to hold the thing closed is so tight that you have to wrestle out the discs and now it's all covered in tiny tears.

I will add to the chorus of people hating some of Simpsons season DVDs coming in shitty, cheap boxes shaped like the characters head. Tacky, low quality garbage. It sucks because the earlier seasons came in really nice fold out cases.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ltsmash

@thesecondagent said:

@ltsmash: I'm actually interested in seeing you're version now.

I found a tote box at Container Store big enough for all the discs that also fit in my dvd shelf.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltsmash: There's something strangely nice about it. Maybe because it looks old-school? No idea, but nicely done. I'm going to have to do this with the new Twin Peaks because the sleeve thing sucks.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I bought the Scott Pilgrim Boxset and when it showed up from Amazon there was no box. It was just all 6 books wrapped in plastic wrap. Fucking false advertising.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@creepingdeath0: That sucks. Any idea why the cuts are happening?

I had a look around earlier after making that post. The reason seems to be that with those episodes included the BBFC was going to rate it a 12, but Warner wanted to keep the PG rating so they got cut.

Which is worrying. Adventure Time is a show that I felt has really "grown up" in later seasons, so if they want to keep the boxsets rated as PG I expect we'll see more cuts in the future.