• 63 results
Godot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By Godot
@gamefreak9:  Ah, right. Well that's why it's important to capitalise book titles at least, I thought you were discussing the concepts of books that had more than a black/white dichotomy to them and such. I'm certainly familiar with Nietzshe; if you're saying his writing style is off the charts, I'm assuming you're reading it in the original German, or is it a translation?

As for Voldemort wanting revenge on a baby; well, that baby took away all his power, at the very height of his power and influence. He had the entire wizarding community terrified, and this baby went and destroyed all he had and turned him into a sub-human wretch. Wouldn't you be super pissed at that baby?
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@ape_dosmil said:
" The problem with the movies is that they stick too religiously to the novels, to the detriment of their quality as stand alone films. That is why The Prisoner of Azkaban is by far the best film in the series, because they hired a director who actually had his own conception of how he wanted to translate the book into film and who wasn't afraid to cut things from the story. I wish they had stuck with Alfonso Cuaron. Azkaban stands on its own merits as a great film that does not require of the audience any prior knowledge of the novels. "
Too bad The Goblet of Fire is by far the best movie >_>
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By gamefreak9
  @EternalInfinity0:   
Someone told me that the 7th book had some time in school too, i'm not sure if thats true, but in any case, there was one point where they were sitting in like that cafe or whatever, and two death eaters come and get beat, so either the kids whom just graduated or about to just beat some ruthless killers. Its not like i think they should be running the whole time, but they have like no real combat experience. Also it seemed like the spells don't go through the glass, except that Hermione somehow just schooled everyone with one that did. 
@Godot:  
Well its not in german, but its like this edited version that one of the professors at my university did because he said the translation was not good enough.  Well i don't really mind books that are completely black and white but i want closure from them at least, since those books usually have easy motif answers, the least they can do is answer the questions. Like why did Sauron want to kill people? because he was evil. 

You know... its a baby...its not like it voluntarily did anything. It seems like his mothers love protection is easily duplicated... could it not have been done by anybody? 
I mean if i was voldemort, i would be like, Shit happens... oh well, i will do better next time.  

@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" @ape_dosmil said:
" The problem with the movies is that they stick too religiously to the novels, to the detriment of their quality as stand alone films. That is why The Prisoner of Azkaban is by far the best film in the series, because they hired a director who actually had his own conception of how he wanted to translate the book into film and who wasn't afraid to cut things from the story. I wish they had stuck with Alfonso Cuaron. Azkaban stands on its own merits as a great film that does not require of the audience any prior knowledge of the novels. "
Too bad The Goblet of Fire is by far the best movie >_> "
I agree with the goblet of fire. I'm a nut for epic tests and trials. Second best well done dragons of all time, Beowulf still has the cake. 
CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By CptChiken

Read the books, they are an infinite percent better than the films.

ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By ape_dosmil
@gamefreak9: Comparing the writing styles of Rowling and Nietzsche seems particularly pointless to me. Nietzsche did not write fiction and he did not write for children. Rowling is not the greatest writer in the world but she has a particular skill in writing for children and the quality of her writing greatly improved over the course of the Harry Potter series. Furthermore you seem to be basing the quality of her writing on the films, which makes little to no sense. There have been any number of awful film adaptations of great books over the years.
Godot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Godot
@gamefreak9 said:
"@Godot:  
Well its not in german, but its like this edited version that one of the professors at my university did because he said the translation was not good enough.  Well i don't really mind books that are completely black and white but i want closure from them at least, since those books usually have easy motif answers, the least they can do is answer the questions. Like why did Sauron want to kill people? because he was evil. 

You know... its a baby...its not like it voluntarily did anything. It seems like his mothers love protection is easily duplicated... could it not have been done by anybody? 
I mean if i was voldemort, i would be like, Shit happens... oh well, i will do better next time.

Thing with translations is, you can't be completely sure how much is the translator, and how much is the original author. It could be that the professor was an amazing writer.

I think Tolkien gets a pass somewhat, as a) the progenitor of all the derivative fantasy crap that followed and did the good/evil thing to death, and b) LOTR was his attempt to give England a mythology on the level of Ancient Greek and Norse myths.

Also, you might be a tad more rational than a cold-blooded murderer who didn't think twice about killing a mother in front of her baby. "Shit happens" would probably not even cross his mind :P
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By gamefreak9
@ape_dosmil:  
Actually, i was saying that after switching to other styles, i can't bring myself to read her writing. Hence i wanted clarification from people who have read it. And i am not criticizing the way the movie is done, but the way the story is pieced together. Thanks anyway.
FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#58  Edited By FLStyle
@gamefreak9 said:
"  The day i make a forum "am i an idiot for not spelling things right on forums?""
For future reference as all the relevant Harry Potter info has already been posted, you haven't made a forum, you've made a thread. If you had made a forum, it would be named something like off-topic or general discussion. Threads are made by users in a forum, forums aren't made by users in a forum.
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By gamefreak9
@FLStyle:  
Aye, thx for the correction. 
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#60  Edited By benpack

Wizards don't abide by our rules of logic.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

accept that it is better than twilight and get over it.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Considering you can barely spell, I don't think it is the book's/movie's fault that you're having a little trouble understanding it. Just saying.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63  Edited By one_2nd

0/10