• 63 results
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gamefreak9

Nothing made sense in this movie, i don't understand how the world functions, how does the tree of power work? what makes someone's spells stronger than others? Would a 4 year old mage be able to hold off Voldermort's attack? There seemed to be some kind of emphasis on wands this movie, so is it all about wands? and wands choose their owners so its not a merit system but a full on hereditary one? And even though wands might be different, is there an actual practical difference? is there such a thing as a strong, fast, versatile wand? or is it binary? strong or weak?  And why does Voldermort want to personally kill Harry potter? its just some kid.  

I thot the initial setting of wizardry school to be awesome... but seems like the writer has no concept of good story telling. Characters don't develop, its so like childishly done its ridiculous, if we want to put a smart comment, we will have hermione say it, if we want a stupid one, ron, a serious one, Harry potter. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm a wizard irl.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By thebeast

Wow that's a lot of questions. I've not seen the new movie yet, generally not a big fan of how much they differ from the books. 
Sounds like if you're that interested in how everything works, you'll want to read the books - they're really excellently written and as far as I remember, should cover everything you're asking. Does make it seem like the film doesn't do a very good job of explaining things though.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Raymayne

> I thot the initial setting of wizardry school to be awesome... but seems like the writer has no concept of good story telling.  
> I thot the initial setting of wizardry school to be awesome... 
> I thot 
> thot

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By KaosAngel

Basic Summery 

• Evil Wizard wants Boy Dead Due to Prophecy 
  • Boy Gets Instant Fame as a Baby
  • Boy Just Wants A Real Family (as his family was killed by the evil Wizard)
  • Boy goes on Quest to defeat Evil Wizard
  • Snape Kills Dumbledore
DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By DeeGee

Read the book.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@Raymayne said:
" > I thot the initial setting of wizardry school to be awesome... but seems like the writer has no concept of good story telling.  > I thot the initial setting of wizardry school to be awesome... > I thot > thot "
lol understnad
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By Yanngc33

Go on wikipedia or read one of the weird books that pick apart the universe. Or read the novels but they're pretty long

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I got it, it was vrey direffernt form the book, but mdae prefect sesne to me.

I think the film was rushed, but it ended at a point that, as I recall was a little bit past the halfway point in the book, which means the last part will focus on the ending to the whole series.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cookiemonster
@gamefreak9 said:
" I thot the initial setting of wizardry school to be awesome... but seems like the writer has no concept of good story telling. "
You've only seen the movie, and obviously they've cut a hella load out for it to have a sensible running time, so saying the writer has no concept of good story telling is an invalid opinion. If you're that interested in it, maybe you should read the book.
Avatar image for eternalinfinity0
EternalInfinity0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By EternalInfinity0
@dudeglove said:
" Read the book. "  
 This. 

@DeeGee
said:
" Read the book. "    
And this.  

Don't expect to understand all the intricacies of the world if you're only paying attention to the watered-down version. As a movie-goer, you're not supposed to care about the exact way wands work, only that the Elder Wand allows its owner to perform powerful magic that is impossible without it.

And really, you should be able to understand why Voldemort wants to kill Harry, even if you've only seen the movies. In this regard, you're just being oblivious.
RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By RandomHero666

The films are crap compared to the books, I wouldn't recommend watching the movies if you haven't read the book relevant to the movie

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Well, all I know is that my dad thought the movie was really easy to follow, and he hasn't read any of the books (though I keep telling him to). (Also, I found the movie pretty easy to follow too, but I've read all the books). 

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Djeffers03

MAGIC.

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
@RandomHero666 said:

"The films are crap compared to the books, I wouldn't recommend watching the movies if you haven't read the book relevant to the movie "

Too true, but the movies are still entertaining.
@Djeffers03 said:

"MAGIC. "

There's no such thing as magic.
inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By inkerman

I would just like to point out that despite the gratuitous use of cleavage in the later films, the Harry Potter demographic is still kids aged 11-15. Do not go in expecting literary genius.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Azteck

Might want to read the book. Seriously, they're good.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By MysteriousBob

Well done, you've just summed up why the Harry Potter franchise, along with all other fantasy magic fiction is fucking garbage. 

He's some magician, thats all I need to know about this kid's crap.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Kjellm87

HP makes about much sense as video games, we're used to it

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Kjellm87 said:
" HP makes about much sense as video games, we're used to it "
Yes, but video games are entertaining. You can't say the same thing about that nerdy wizard.
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kjellm87
@MysteriousBob said:
" @Kjellm87 said:
" HP makes about much sense as video games, we're used to it "
Yes, but video games are entertaining. You can't say the same thing about that nerdy wizard. "
Depends on the person I  guess, Harry got like 6-7 movies now, so someone must like it, I was kinda done after 3
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gamefreak9
@CookieMonster said:
" @gamefreak9 said:
" I thot the initial setting of wizardry school to be awesome... but seems like the writer has no concept of good story telling. "
You've only seen the movie, and obviously they've cut a hella load out for it to have a sensible running time, so saying the writer has no concept of good story telling is an invalid opinion. If you're that interested in it, maybe you should read the book. "
@EternalInfinity0 said:
" @dudeglove said:
" Read the book. "  
 This. 

@DeeGee
said:
" Read the book. "    
And this.  Don't expect to understand all the intricacies of the world if you're only paying attention to the watered-down version. As a movie-goer, you're not supposed to care about the exact way wands work, only that the Elder Wand allows its owner to perform powerful magic that is impossible without it. And really, you should be able to understand why Voldemort wants to kill Harry, even if you've only seen the movies. In this regard, you're just being oblivious. "
I read the first two, but the writing style just isn't my cup of tea... it just makes you stupid... you can't go from reading books like "Nature of the book" and "beyond good and evil" to some crappy kids thing. On the fiction front, even the warcraft sunwell trilogy or w/e it was called was written better. The only thing rollin has going for her is the concept, and i'm trying to enjoy it, but it just doesn't seem to answer all the questions. I really enjoyed some of the movies, like the tri wizard cup one. But the 6th and 7th one... nothing is happening and they ruin the ambience by overdoing the whole no music scene trick... but that should not be used to much when the film is fantasy... They don't seem to like explain things, i mean why is Harry Potter and his friends, whom basically just graduated on par with like death eaters who have been killing people for like decades probably, its not like any given wizard is different from another so that you could explain "harry potter is a light wizard and death eaters are dark ones so light beats dark, but dark beats others, while others beat light".  That would already make more sense than a bunch of kids going against the master of all killers, not to mention that the griffindor sword can be wielded by anyone apparently so why didn't the minister of magic send like his top wizards to just go and kill Voldermorts heart. @KaosAngel said:
" Basic Summery 
  • Evil Wizard wants Boy Dead Due to Prophecy 
  • Boy Gets Instant Fame as a Baby
  • Boy Just Wants A Real Family (as his family was killed by the evil Wizard)
  • Boy goes on Quest to defeat Evil Wizard
  • Snape Kills Dumbledore
"
Ah it seems like their might be an answer here, whats the prophecy exactly? Who came up with it? does it just blatantly say, harry potter will beat voldermort? if thats the case maybe there is a motive other than insecure pride driven little girl voldemort. 
Smokay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Smokay
@Djeffers03 said:

" MAGIC. "

Hats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hats
@gamefreak9 said:

" Nothing made sense in this movie, i don't understand how the world functions, how does the tree of power work? what makes someone's spells stronger than others? Would a 4 year old mage be able to hold off Voldermort's attack? There seemed to be some kind of emphasis on wands this movie, so is it all about wands? and wands choose their owners so its not a merit system but a full on hereditary one? And even though wands might be different, is there an actual practical difference? is there such a thing as a strong, fast, versatile wand? or is it binary? strong or weak?  And why does Voldermort want to personally kill Harry potter? its just some kid.   I thot the initial setting of wizardry school to be awesome... but seems like the writer has no concept of good story telling. Characters don't develop, its so like childishly done its ridiculous, if we want to put a smart comment, we will have hermione say it, if we want a stupid one, ron, a serious one, Harry potter.  "

Midi-chlorians
DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DeeGee

So you read the two worst books in the series before she became a good writer? Poor thing.

Godot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Godot
@gamefreak9 said:
I read the first two, but the writing style just isn't my cup of tea... it just makes you stupid... "
Your inability to spell "thought", "Rowling", "understand", or even capitalise correctly suggests that it might not have been the books.
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gamefreak9
@DeeGee said:
" So you read the two worst books in the series before she became a good writer? Poor thing. "
I never heard that before... lots of people tell me that the first is their favorite. 
@Godot:  
yes because forums are meant for correct scholarly english... way to find the right thing to dismantle... simpleton
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ignor
@gamefreak9 said:
" @Godot:  Yes, because forums are meant for correct scholarly English.... Way to find the right thing to dismantle... simpleton. "
Godot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Godot
@gamefreak9 said:
" @DeeGee said:
" So you read the two worst books in the series before she became a good writer? Poor thing. "
I never heard that before... lots of people tell me that the first is their favorite. @Godot:  yes because forums are meant for correct scholarly english... way to find the right thing to dismantle... simpleton "
Spelling the author's name correctly isn't scholarly English. And on the subject of calling me a simpleton, you're not exactly a bastion of knowledge yourself, are you?
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MikkaQ

Well the films make no sense, and are crap compared to the books. Which are crap compared to say.. a receipt for Burger King. 

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gamefreak9
@Godot said:

" @gamefreak9 said:

" @DeeGee said:
I never heard that before... lots of people tell me that the first is their favorite. @Godot:  yes because forums are meant for correct scholarly english... way to find the right thing to dismantle... simpleton "
Spelling the author's name correctly isn't scholarly English. And on the subject of calling me a simpleton, you're not exactly a bastion of knowledge yourself, are you? "
I'm not going to have this conversation with someone like you, i posted on a forum for some light shedding, hopefully from someone who read the books, and i got some insecure trash crying about me bashing the connections, and not spelling his precious authors name correctly. The day i make a forum "am i an idiot for not spelling things right on forums?" we can have that discussion. If you have something relating to the subject, contribute, otherwise, gtfo.
JesseG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JesseG
@dudeglove: That is not an answer for a movie. A film and a book are completely different things. You should not have to read the book to understand the movie. Reading the book does not "make the movie better", it means whoever directed and whoever wrote the screenplay don't know how to tell a story or make a good film.  
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gamefreak9
@JesseG:  
Yeah i think each product should be good standalone. I should not have to read the books to understand the movies. I don't know how many directors there has been for the HP series, but this is probably the worst one. I do prefer films usually because i feel like theres more of a content/per time, but if too many loopholes are left open, then its just done horribly. 
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By alternate

Thye don't really try to explain anything in the films, I guess they know their core audience are kids who have read and re-read the books countless times.

Avatar image for suicidalsnowman
SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By SuicidalSnowman

You know, as a huge Harry Potter fan (who, by the way, refuses to get into the marketing "HP" abbreviation BS) I generally agree with most of the criticisms.  The writing isn't top notch by any standards, but it certainly is passable.  The characters, however, do develop by about book 3.  The real problem that J.K. Rowling has is her constant use of a dues ex machina in ways that breaks the universe.  The heroes often find themselves on the ropes, so to say, and Rowling invents a new sub clause to the rules of the universe for them to escape.  And as other posters have pointed out, it often is Hermoine going, "Oh, didn't you know? On the second Sunday of each month, no dangerous magic can be used because of the old Muggle holiday! So therefore, Voldermort's spell was reflected back at him, and now we are safe." 

This is fine and all, I mean Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, all the classic fantasy series do this.  Harry Potter's weakness is it occasionally breaks the universe and continuity. 

Having said all that, the thing with Harry Potter is that the first book was a really beautiful and compelling magical world.  It was perfect childhood escapism, a world without parents (like college) plus you did the boring stuff, like chores, by waving a wand.  And studying meant making potions that turned people into frogs.  If you were like me, and that age during that time, it hit a really resounding note. 

Then the second one came out, and it was like, oh, there is more! Awesome.   At this point, Rowling wised up and got some help with the future ones.  Despite the fact that fans were still enamored with similar follow ups, critics were pointing out that the series needed something more than description of wizard sports.  So from 3 onward, there were darker elements, better adventures, and less school. 

The whole appeal, at least for me, is that the settings and events are, truly, magical.  They are interesting and imaginative, and the interactions with the "real" world and the "wizard" world are handled in a believable, yet slightly fantastic, manner.  And Rowling's writing has improved.  All of the characters, especially in the books, have depth.  No, we aren't talking about Dostovesky here, but we also are going well beyond Mickey Mouse.  

Now, as for the movies, I think they are getting heaps better as well.  Nonetheless, they all continue to struggle with capturing 700 pages of text in a two hour movie.  The last is, in my opinion, by far the best effort so far.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Shadow

Read the books.  They're told better and make far more sense out of everything than the movies which skip big story events to show all the action sequences it can, giving them as many excuses as possible to use special effects.  Michael Bay would be proud, but it doesn't make for good storytelling.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ignor

You have to make a choice. 
Do you want to be entertained or enlightened?

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MadeinFinland
@gamefreak9 said:
" ms like their might be an answer here, whats the prophecy exactly? Who came up with it? does it just blatantly say, harry potter will beat voldermort? if thats the case maybe there is a motive other than insecure pride driven little girl voldemort.  "
If I remember right, the wacko astrology teacher came up with the prophecy.
Godot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Godot
Sure thing bro. I'll get light shedding.

@gamefreak9 said:

How does the tree of power work?
Tree of power?

What makes someone's spells stronger than others?
Degree of practice or study they've put into it, combined with natural ability. She doesn't go much into it apart from that, because otherwise it wouldn't be, well, magic, and would get boring incredibly fast if the reader/audience gets pulled aside for a 10 minute exposition on how magic works.

Would a 4 year old mage be able to hold off Voldermort's attack?
Nope.

There seemed to be some kind of emphasis on wands this movie, so is it all about wands?
The emphasis on wands is that Harry and Voldemort's wands share the same core, so they can't kill each other with it. Turns out Voldemort can't kill Harry anyway, due to...coming in the next film.

and wands choose their owners so its not a merit system but a full on hereditary one?
No hereditary system going on, as wands aren't passed down from parent to child. Wands just choose people, s'all.

And even though wands might be different, is there an actual practical difference?
Some wands (like Harry's Mum's I think) are better at charms, some better at transfiguration. Again, explain too much and its not magic again.

is there such a thing as a strong, fast, versatile wand? or is it binary? strong or weak?
Wands are wands. Not binary, probably a continuum of strength; I think emphasis is placed on the spellcaster's ability moreso than the wands. Again, the books don't focus on it too much because it'd get terribly dull.

And why does Voldermort want to personally kill Harry potter? its just some kid. 
Revenge. Harry was the person that survived his attack, and greatly injured Voldemort in the process. It was in the first film, and referenced throughout all the others.

I thot the initial setting of wizardry school to be awesome... but seems like the writer has no concept of good story telling.
She has plenty. It's obviously not to your taste, is all.

Characters don't develop, its so like childishly done its ridiculous, if we want to put a smart comment, we will have hermione say it, if we want a stupid one, ron, a serious one, Harry potter.
Perhaps during the first two books/films, yes, but that was through the necessity of establishing characters so that development may occur. Throughout the series all the characters have matured significantly, to the point where they realise that their "wacky hijinks" were life-risking adventures. Hermione becomes a bit more savvy, less relying on book-smarts, Ron pulls his socks up and actually starts paying attention more in the later books, and Harry isn't incredibly hot-headed and impulsive. Just because it's subtle doesn't mean it's not there.

Out of curiousity, what were the books that discussed "Nature of the book" and "beyond good and evil"?
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By gamefreak9
@SuicidalSnowman:  
Well i'm no avid Harry potter reader, but by just looking at the films, i do prefer the older ones, maybe the people who read them appreciate this new direction its going at. Well personally i thot that the deviation from the magic school was a step in the wrong direction because it ruins the possible fantasy of this. If a kid read that Hagrid and Harry Potter were flying on a motorcycle in the motorway then it destroy the escapism aspect of it.  Narnia kept this element going pretty well i think.  

I do confess that i did read it when i was 16 or 17, which maybe why i was not as good as it could have been, whilst Narnia i read when i was like 8(called the lion, the witch and the wardrobe?).  But none the less i do enjoy your passion about it whilst simultaneously keeping the critical eye open :P.  
Avatar image for eternalinfinity0
EternalInfinity0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By EternalInfinity0
@gamefreak9 said: 
@EternalInfinity0 said:
" @dudeglove said:
" Read the book. "  
 This. 

@DeeGee
said:
" Read the book. "    
And this.  Don't expect to understand all the intricacies of the world if you're only paying attention to the watered-down version. As a movie-goer, you're not supposed to care about the exact way wands work, only that the Elder Wand allows its owner to perform powerful magic that is impossible without it. And really, you should be able to understand why Voldemort wants to kill Harry, even if you've only seen the movies. In this regard, you're just being oblivious. "
I read the first two, but the writing style just isn't my cup of tea... it just makes you stupid... you can't go from reading books like "Nature of the book" and "beyond good and evil" to some crappy kids thing. On the fiction front, even the warcraft sunwell trilogy or w/e it was called was written better. The only thing rollin has going for her is the concept, and i'm trying to enjoy it, but it just doesn't seem to answer all the questions. I really enjoyed some of the movies, like the tri wizard cup one. But the 6th and 7th one... nothing is happening and they ruin the ambience by overdoing the whole no music scene trick... but that should not be used to much when the film is fantasy... They don't seem to like explain things, i mean why is Harry Potter and his friends, whom basically just graduated on par with like death eaters who have been killing people for like decades probably, its not like any given wizard is different from another so that you could explain "harry potter is a light wizard and death eaters are dark ones so light beats dark, but dark beats others, while others beat light".  That would already make more sense than a bunch of kids going against the master of all killers, not to mention that the griffindor sword can be wielded by anyone apparently so why didn't the minister of magic send like his top wizards to just go and kill Voldermorts heart.

I'll try to address each of your complaints in turn:  

1. If you have trouble enjoying literature on a sub-Nietzsche-ian level, maybe it would have been prudent not to allow the strong concept to draw you into the film series. Remember: a big chunk of the audience consists of people who simply can't be bothered to read a 600-page novel, not so much of people who couldn't stomach the simplicity of the writing. Also, like most film adaptations, the movie series is meant primarily to make money, secondarily to provide faithful translations sans "crappy kids" writing style. So while the filmmakers sometimes get lucky--namely when strong direction and acting come together with a less difficult-to-convert story--each Harry Potter movie still has a pretty good chance of being shit. With a lot of obscure backstory stuff coming into play in this latest film, I can understand that you'd be frustrated with the gaps left by the omissions of its predecessors. Maybe you should just accept that, despite its intriguing premise, the Harry Potter series is not for you, in any form. 

2. I find it a little strange that you're interested in the idea of a school for wizards, yet can't sufficiently suspend your disbelief to accept that these kids are holding their own against the Death Eaters. I remember the books being better in this regard, but even the films generally show that Harry & Co. are overmatched when pitted against Voldemort's gang. In 5, Harry and his friends are effectively beat before older wizards arrive to help them; in 6, Harry is easily dispatched upon trying to pursue Dumbledore's killers; in part 1 of 7, the main trio is usually up against Snatchers (bounty hunters whose abilities are not necessarily of any particular note), yet must still remain constantly moving to avoid them. And even past all this, you should be ready to accept that, in a story about kids, kids might be disproportionately able.  

3. The books went into more detail about the Ministry's uselessness. I won't try to summarize--I've already written way too much. Suffice it to say that no administration between Voldemort's return and fall is fit to aid Dumbledore and Harry in their quest to destroy the Horcruxes. 

Anything else?
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

The people that dislike the movies seem to be the one's that read the books and the ones that thinks it's Twilight with wizards.  After 3 the movies get really good and that is most people saying that and not people on the internet forums that just want to bash something that's popular and they don't like.  The books are better though but if you hadn't read the books or you can take movies as just movies then they are good-great, except for 1&2.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By gamefreak9
@Godot said:
" Sure thing bro. I'll get light shedding.

@gamefreak9 said:

Tree of power?

Degree of practice or study they've put into it, combined with natural ability. She doesn't go much into it apart from that, because otherwise it wouldn't be, well, magic, and would get boring incredibly fast if the reader/audience gets pulled aside for a 10 minute exposition on how magic works.

Nope.

There seemed to be some kind of emphasis on wands this movie, so is it all about wands?
The emphasis on wands is that Harry and Voldemort's wands share the same core, so they can't kill each other with it. Turns out Voldemort can't kill Harry anyway, due to...coming in the next film.

and wands choose their owners so its not a merit system but a full on hereditary one?
No hereditary system going on, as wands aren't passed down from parent to child. Wands just choose people, s'all.

And even though wands might be different, is there an actual practical difference?
Some wands (like Harry's Mum's I think) are better at charms, some better at transfiguration. Again, explain too much and its not magic again.

is there such a thing as a strong, fast, versatile wand? or is it binary? strong or weak?
Wands are wands. Not binary, probably a continuum of strength; I think emphasis is placed on the spellcaster's ability moreso than the wands. Again, the books don't focus on it too much because it'd get terribly dull.

And why does Voldermort want to personally kill Harry potter? its just some kid. 
Revenge. Harry was the person that survived his attack, and greatly injured Voldemort in the process. It was in the first film, and referenced throughout all the others.

I thot the initial setting of wizardry school to be awesome... but seems like the writer has no concept of good story telling.

Characters don't develop, its so like childishly done its ridiculous, if we want to put a smart comment, we will have hermione say it, if we want a stupid one, ron, a serious one, Harry potter.
Perhaps during the first two books/films, yes, but that was through the necessity of establishing characters so that development may occur. Throughout the series all the characters have matured significantly, to the point where they realise that their "wacky hijinks" were life-risking adventures. Hermione becomes a bit more savvy, less relying on book-smarts, Ron pulls his socks up and actually starts paying attention more in the later books, and Harry isn't incredibly hot-headed and impulsive. Just because it's subtle doesn't mean it's not there.

Out of curiousity, what were the books that discussed "Nature of the book" and "beyond good and evil"? "
Wow great, answer man.  I think that answers most of it, although basically it seems like Voldemort wants revenge on a baby because his mother protected him?  

Well i just can't really return to fiction writing style after going into other types of books, Nature of the book discusses the printing press revolution, and denies it being so but instead gives emphasis on the human interaction part of it as being the driving force(its pretty great). And Beyond good and Evil is  Nietzshe(philosopher) first book, i don't think he actually expanded the philosophy that much, sort of linear, but his writing style is off the charts, one of the most entertaining books i have ever read. 
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@gamefreak9 said:
" @Godot said:
" Sure thing bro. I'll get light shedding.

@gamefreak9 said:

Tree of power?

Nope.

Out of curiousity, what were the books that discussed "Nature of the book" and "beyond good and evil"? "
Wow great, answer man.  I think that answers most of it, although basically it seems like Voldemort wants revenge on a baby because his mother protected him?   Well i just can't really return to fiction writing style after going into other types of books, Nature of the book discusses the printing press revolution, and denies it being so but instead gives emphasis on the human interaction part of it as being the driving force(its pretty great). And Beyond good and Evil is  Nietzshe(philosopher) first book, i don't think he actually expanded the philosophy that much, sort of linear, but his writing style is off the charts, one of the most entertaining books i have ever read.  "
Voldemort and Harry have shared souls from when Voldemort attack Harry.  In order for them to keep living one of them has to die.  I haven't read the book or watched the movies in a while but I think thats true.
black_sheep121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By black_sheep121

The books are a million times better than the movies.

ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ape_dosmil

The problem with the movies is that they stick too religiously to the novels, to the detriment of their quality as stand alone films. That is why The Prisoner of Azkaban is by far the best film in the series, because they hired a director who actually had his own conception of how he wanted to translate the book into film and who wasn't afraid to cut things from the story. I wish they had stuck with Alfonso Cuaron. Azkaban stands on its own merits as a great film that does not require of the audience any prior knowledge of the novels.