HBO's Going Clear: March 29th 8:00 PM EST.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jerseyscum

HBO has been on an absolute roll when it's come to their non-fiction content. Their partnership with Vice News has been nothing short of stellar and their breakthrough series The Jinx may have literally caught alleged multiple murderer Robert Durst confessing to homicide on a hot microphone. How do you possibly top this one might ask? Adapt Pulitzer Prize winner Lawrence Wright's Going Clear, his relentless investigation into the notoriously secretive Church of Scientology. Early reviews are in and some are even speculating that this might be the beginning of the end for Scientology's tax-exempt status....or outright criminal charges against church management. I've personally already read the book and it's revelations are chilling and damaging. I figured that the duders not watching Wrestlemania might get a kick out of this.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

So that's how you scrub away those nasty Body Thetans!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Going Clear is a must read book and I'm glad HBO is turning into a documentary. I'm going to watch it as soon as Wrestlemania is over.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Thanks for letting us know, I recently just got through Jinx and a lot of the Vice episodes. I'll definitely check this out.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok said:

Going Clear is a must read book and I'm glad HBO is turning into a documentary. I'm going to watch it as soon as Wrestlemania is over.

Giant Bomb might as well just flat out cover the WWE at this point. They'd probably double their audience.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I wish I had HBO.

smellylettuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By smellylettuce

Definitely checking this out. Such a weird aspect of society that has had very little exposure to the public. Much of it seems so messed up.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Wow, that sounds fascinating. I hope they put it on DVD. I know they have good programs, but I hate waiting for stuff to show up that isn't a repeat- despite having a lot of good shows they still show the same movies over and over most of the time and don't have consistent new programming and at my age now I just like to watch stuff and not wait for the next episode or whatever so "binge watching" is my preferred method of watching good shows. The best I can explain it further is I guess I just don't like the way TV works in general which is why I don't watch it and haven't for years now. I'll buy a good show on DVD though.

I would totally support a fascinating documentary on the church of Scientology, though. They're so expensive for their members and litigious it still hasn't really been touched.

So anyway, much like North Korea, I find anything that isn't skewed (in other words made by them) about them fascinating. Although, films made and endorsed by North Korea still tend to be fascinating.

I don't know, whatever. This seems neat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I wish I had HBO.

I certainly pay for HBO and Cable don't use my dad's account to watch HBO GO.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jerseyscum

Tom Cruise has Sea Org members who are basically indentured servants trick out his personal luxury vehicles.

What an asshole.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

HBO need to get with the times because I know so many people that won't be able to watch this legitimately unless sponging from their parents' HBO. (if they have it)

No wonder Game of Thrones is so damn pirated, if you're living out of the US/Canada or at college/university you don't have much choice except waiting months for a DVD release.

At least you'd get pretty good at avoiding spoilers.

edit: thinking about it this is a widespread issue with television, especially the cable channel model

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Osaladin

@privodotmenit: I would actually say HBO is the front runner compared to the other channels on TV. I think they're trying hard to offer the service without cable anchoring them down.

Edit: I watched it by the way. I knew Scientology was fucked up, but I didn't know how fucked up.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@osaladin said:

@privodotmenit: I would actually say HBO is the front runner compared to the other channels on TV. I think they're trying hard to offer the service without cable anchoring them down.

Edit: I watched it by the way. I knew Scientology was fucked up, but I didn't know how fucked up.

Yeah, I think they announced this is eventually going to happen. They're just currently working out the details.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By John1912

Watched it. Pretty horrible stuff. Ill prob avoid paying for Tom Cruise movies just for kicks. Was kinda crazy to see Cruise and an small stadium full of people basically give LRH painting a heil hitler. Really hope these people get exposed for the frauds they are.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I watched it. It's pretty crazy, especially since a lot of it is reminiscent of some older practices of Christianity, particularly Catholicism, with tithes, inquisitions and excommunications.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Gonna watch this when I have time. I read the book last year and it's really fucking disturbing. Loved how every quote or reference to Tom Cruise had a little footnote saying "Cruise's lawyer says the star denies saying this". It's insane.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Watched it, covered a lot of stuff I already knew however I found the life of Hubbard stuff interesting/insane.

Monokuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got about halfway through this last night. Well done so far, I knew the group was crazy but damn! That's some loony tunes shit! Definitely looking forward to finishing up the doc. tonight.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Definitely interested in this and glad to hear some positives outside of typical reviews. Religions are fascinating.

Monokuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickhead that is using the term religion loosely

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Loading Video...

I watched it last night and man that stuff is so crazy. Here is a Vice interview with one of the guys

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that was really good. Super interesting - and I never realized how cult-like it was.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Avatar image for deactivated-62001d97f34e0
deactivated-62001d97f34e0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice just DVR'ed it, cant wait to watch.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

I really want to watch it, going to have to find a way with out hbo *cough*

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The amount of blackmail material collected during auditing sessions is mindblowing. Explains why John Travolta is so deeply involved, especially with the rumors of his sexual orientation and the death of his son Jett.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Just finished it. What a goddamn mess. Not the documentary itself, which was actually very insightful. Never heard of the Nazanin Boniadi stuff. Fucking insane.

Also, Miscavige totally looks like an evil Seth Meyer.

kahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All hail lord xenu powerful masterful

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I knew a decent amount about scientology through that one South Park episode a few years back and just kind of brushed off the word "cult" whenever it was brought up because I just let them believe in whatever they want to (me being Christian knowing that there's some whacky things we have to accept as well)

Didn't know how controlling they were to their own members, including all of the disconnecting stuff. Really good documentary, makes me want to see how/if they defend themselves.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

Just finished it. What a goddamn mess. Not the documentary itself, which was actually very insightful. Never heard of the Nazanin Boniadi stuff. Fucking insane.

Also, Miscavige totally looks like an evil Seth Meyer.

I think he looks like Ted from Mad Men

No Caption Provided