Help on video game relate essay

ganjaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ganjaman

Hey guys, im currently writing an Op-Ed essay about why video games should not be blamed for bad things that happens in society.  If anybody knows any articles or any legit resource (preferably a website) i could use, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks a bunch

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb

I can't give you sources, per say, but I can tell you who not to quote for 500.

A) Who are Hillary Clinton and Jack Thomson?!
-CORRECT!!!

You win a more credible essay! :D

But on a more srs note, I suggest you ask one of the four members of the editorial staff here. They're a kind bunch, they might be willing to give you a couple of sources and maybe drop their own 2c. If they do provide their own thoughts, you can drop a plug for Giant Bomb in your essay and make mention of who they are and their well-regarded status in the industry. That might work.

Hopefully that helps?! =P

ganjaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ganjaman

Yup that definitely helps and most likely make my essay that much more interesting, thanks

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Commando

http://www.apa.org/science/psa/sb-anderson.html

Well here's something that is completely against violent videogames, but I thought it was a funny read. It wouldn't help you at all, it's just funny to see this guy repeatedly say all games have hookers and drugs and killing police officers, when in fact it's one game/franchise. 

I love how the only game he refers to is ONE FRANCHISE! Grand Theft Auto. It's the only game/franchise that people really seem to have problems with.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Snipzor

Take an excerpt from "Grand Theft Childhood" and you get even more credibility. It also helps if you use studies from neurologists, differentiate from correlation to causation. I won't write your essay for you, get crackin'!

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By BiggerBomb

Oh, I also have an idea. Commando just reminded me of the Fox interview of Game Trailer's TV's Geoff (what's his last name, again?) for Mass Effect. I'd youtube it and get some quotes, as well as more credible facts about Mass Effect for the sake of juxtaposition with the absurdity of the Fox News' (se)Xbox feature.

I'm in 11th grade, taking an AP Language & Composition course, and on Friday my (awesome) teacher was teaching us about the rhetorical effect of "bathos." It's very much the antithesis of Aristotle's philosophy of "pathos," which is essentially the rhetorical appeal to the reader's (or viewer's, in the case) emotions. Bathos, on the other hand, is what is initially an attempt to appeal to the audience's virtues, via the speaker's intention to be uber-serious; however, the validity of the message and the tone and language with which it is delivered diminishes the speaker's credibility and makes the delivery (and message itself) comically foolish, appearing as nothing more than satirical.

Search for a more accurate definition of "bathos," that is eloquently phrased, and then file anti-game legislation/commentary under the concept of "bathos."

Your teacher might be impressed. I would go that route.

ganjaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ganjaman

I am definately gonna include that bad boy bathos in there, we haven't even mentioned it in class. 

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Commando
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Wolverine

Because film affects your actions more then video games do.