Hey, that's my name!?!

phatcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By phatcat

Hey, that's my name! or... is it weird hearing your name on the radio/tv/internet/games?

Ok, they just hired Jason Oestreicher, which I hear has caused a ruckus with some folks. But for me, its strange because my real name is Jason. So when listening to the podcast when I heard "Jason" I would kinna perk up abit, thinking someone was calling my name. I'll even admit the whole "JASON" meme from Heavy Rain was weird too.

I don't really know many people named Jason IRL, so when I hear it, I just assume they are referring to me.

Does anyone else do this? Is there a Jeff on the forums that ever goes "heh.. that's me" when they listen in?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

You'd be surprised at how few people are named Captain Awesomepants McGuirk, so no, I don't really get that feeling a lot.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

@phatcat said:

So when listening to the podcast when I heard "Jason" I would kinna perk up abit,

That was my same response when I heard my name on the podcast!

Loading Video...

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I dislike meeting other people with the same name. Feels weird to call someone else my name.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#6 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I have a fairly uncommon first name, Andrei, so it kinda freaks me out when I hear it come from something other than someone in the same room as me. It almost never happens though.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@phatcat: Curious if you've ever watched the Friday the 13th movies. ;)

defe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, I definitely remember a point where I was nodding off while listening to the Bombcast. Suddenly, Jeff says, quite loudly, "CHRIS," and I jumped up in shock. Normally, since it's such a common name, I really don't react to it (sometimes leading to me not recognizing that people are trying to call me), but being nearly asleep that gave me quite a shock.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have a fairly uncommon first name, Andrei, so it kinda freaks me out when I hear it come from something other than someone in the same room as me. It almost never happens though.

Same situation with me, but with Kade. The only time it was really a problem was in high school when there was a girl with the same name.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My name is Stephen, I know about 11 other Stephens in real life who I'll see/talk to on a regular basis and about 12 more that I've been introduced to. I'm pretty used to hearing other people have my name so no, this does't happen with me.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

My name's Alex, but my whole life there have always been so many other Alex's around that it's not odd for me at all. In high school, in classes as small as 22~ people, there were times with four Alex's, so you just get used to it. Alex has also been part of the crew for quite a while now (and I occasionally watched his things on Gamespot), so I'd imagine even if I had found it weird originally, I wouldn't by now.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the opposite problem - because I know so many people with the same name as me (David) it generally takes someone calling me twice for me to respond (as my automatic reaction is that they're talking to someone else).

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Monkeyman04

I have a very common name of Nick, so I hear my name in random things all the time. It sucked in school when I was in a glass with two other Nicks.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

My name is Stephen, I know about 11 other Stephens in real life who I'll see/talk to on a regular basis and about 12 more that I've been introduced to.

You wouldn't happen to know any flamboyant Egyptians, would you?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

I don't run into this when listening to/watching videos where the hosts are American, seeing how Mads is a very very rare name outside of Scandinavia. But whenever some customer in the bookstore I work at calls out for their son called Mads I do notice it pretty well.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Tom_omb

Tom/Thomas is a common enough name that I don't bat an eye when I hear it in pop culture. You can have all the Tom Joneses, Tommy Lees or Tommy Lee Joneses you want.

In real life it wasn't a name I encountered a lot. Through most of my schooling I never encountered another Thomas. With the exception of this one institution that has put another Thomas in my class for every one of three, year long, programs I've attended. It really irritates me when people call out "Hey Thomas" in class and they are referring to the other one. It gets me every time, even if they mostly refer to him as "Thomas" and me as "Tom."

Also I hate Thomas the Tank Engine because folks pushed that on me way too hard as a kid.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@nasar7 said:

I dislike meeting other people with the same name. Feels weird to call someone else my name.

Yeah, you run into a guy with your name (particularly if it's somewhat uncommon) and you have to look him in the eye and think, "Which one of us is the real ____? Which represents everything it is to be a ____ and which is a poseur? Maybe this is the meeting that convinces me to go by my middle name, like a half-dozen people have told me over the years, the day when I throw in the towel and realize my parents were wrong - maybe I'm not ____ and never will be." It's an existential crisis; we teeter on the edge of total annihilation of the self. I'm glad my name isn't Slim Shady.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Heavy Rain was a weird time for us Jasons.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Ravelle

My name is Vincent and people also call me Vinny or Vince but it doesn't sound weird to me when the they mention my name.

embryonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My name's Andy. Whenever the word "and" is uttered I always have to do my best not to react.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It definitely happens to me, and since "Brett" is such an uncommon name (at least for a short and simple one), that when it does happen, it's extra off-putting.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Solid Snake's real name is David. Probably the only time I've ever felt like I had a cool name was at the ending of Metal Gear Solid when Snake reveals his name to Meryl/Otacon.

peakborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinny Did a real number on me the first time I watched this quick look.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By DeadpanCakes

My name is so extremely common (especially in the area I live), I don't really get caught up on it anymore.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#26  Edited By lumley

I'm an Alex, so there's a fair amount of people that share my name, although I can't say I've ever reacted when listening to Bombing the A.M. / Alex on the Bombcast. Saying that, very few people actually call me Alex, only family.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Michael was so common growing up, that it'd be rare when I didn't have at least a couple other Mike/Michael's around, so I got used to it. Hell, at this point I barely register when someone says "Michael" anymore, even if they're trying to talk to me, because everyone ended up calling me by my last name. If I hear that get thrown around it starts to get a little weird.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My name is Marc so I secretly hate all Marks that I meet.