High Speed Internet

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By matthew

Right now we have at the house a dsl connection with 2.55 up and .44 down with a ping of 230.  I know, they're abysmal.  When I play online both pc and ps3, every 3 minutes or so the game lags up so horribly it freezes/jumps around without my control.  lasts for about 15-20 seconds.

I remember hearing the guys saying they work with a 16 up connection at the Bomb shelter.  Do you think an upgrade to 9 up and 2-3 down would help out with my connection?  I know a hardline always helps out, thats how the ps3 is hooked up, and still get those problems.  We're going through at&t, with one computer hardlined in, ps3 hardlined in, and two wireless pc connections...

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fbomb

No. Down/UpSpeed isn't your problem, it's the latency.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Stang

Are you sure you don't mean 2.55 down and .44 mb/s up? Post a speedtest.net test result. Unless you are at a university, your upstream is never going to be as good as your downstream. 3 megs upstream would be more then enough for gaming. 

Sorry if I am not answering correctly, your post confuzzles me.

edit

URL fail, if CandleJack sucks at HTML, I am a certified retard.

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By CandleJakk

I'm on a 20MB fibre optic cable at my halls of residence, (which cost me a bomb by the way), and still get some bad latency at times.
It's just something I got used to. Is it annoying? Yes. Is it worth spending money to upgrade a relatively good connection? Up to you.

EDIT: This was taken when most people are already out drinking.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/622621711.png

And sorry, I suck at HTML.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5  Edited By Geno

Increasing your connection speed will always improve ping, so yes. But ping has a lot to do with your geographical location as well, along with the internet traffic congestion in your local area. If you live in a far off rural area you'll get higher ping, but you'll also get higher ping if you live in a highly crowded area sharing the same service, so those are some things to be taken into consideration.  

There are some more indie providers that offer high speeds and a huge download cap, but it can take some time to seek them out (also parents are usually distrustful of such services), but if you can find an established one then you can get really great deals on your connection. 

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By matthew
@Stang: Haha, yea, you're right.  I got the up/down switched around.

@Fbomb: So the ping right?  How would I go about trying to cut that down?
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rallier

Are you using a wireless modem and vista by chance?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By crusader8463

I only have a 1 mb connect and i never suffer any real lag, unless every one on the game does too.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fbomb
@Stang said:
" Are you sure you don't mean 2.55 down and .44 mb/s up? Post a speedtest.net test result. Unless you are at a university, your upstream is never going to be as good as your downstream. 3 megs upstream would be more then enough for gaming.   Sorry if I am not answering correctly, your post confuzzles me. "
You would be right... I think it was a typo for him. I'd just recommend getting a different provider if you have letency problems, not more bandwidth. Right now your connection is bouncing from node to node, is being misrouted, or is finding some sort of network bottleneck to slow it down (again, not a bandwidth problem on your end, it would be on theirs). A different provider might be your best bet, otherwise, wherever the server you're pinging is, it's located on the other side of the country.
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By matthew

http://www.speedtest.net/result/622623816.png

There's the link for the results.  Ping varies from the 230 that I said before, to the 85ish that I just got.  

@Rallier: One computer has Vista, and it's a laptop.  No gaming for that one though, thats just a browser/excel/word machine, so it does its job.

timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By timay
Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fbomb

Oh, and try calling your provider. They might be able to figure something out for you, if you're losing a lot of packets.

Try going into command prompt and type: Ping  69.147.76.15

this will tell you your latency for communicating with Yahoo (should be fast).

It will also give you stats on packet loss. After that, if it seems poor, you can try performing a traceroute to see where your packets are going to see why it's taking a long time.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rallier
@Matthew said:
@Rallier: One computer has Vista, and it's a laptop.  No gaming for that one though, thats just a browser/excel/word machine, so it does its job. "
Might have been an XP issue actually thinking of it. When playing quake live on my older Laptop just like you i had terrible lag spikes every 2-3 minutes and in my case they were caused by Windows refreshing the list of available wireless devices. Hooking it up to a wired modem fixed my issues.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By damnboyadvance

My connection is only 2.5 mb/s, but my ping is less than 30 ms, so I'm ok for gaming.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By ahriman22

My ping is 0, so I'm pretty set there.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By matthew

hahaha, sorry to bring up the thread again, but I'm here at school went to check the speed, and got this result.  Prolly the only time I'm ever going to see something like this....

No Caption Provided
rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rinkalicous
@ahriman22 said:
" My ping is 0, so I'm pretty set there. "
So you're saying you host the internet? 

Lucky.
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ahriman22
@Rinkalicous: Well last time I tested it I got a ping of 0. Iunno why, Bell isn't exactly the best internet company here.
RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Matthew, that bandwidth is abysmal in most countries in the world. Given time, the US will have good infrastructure like most smaller countries (America is pretty huge you know), and ya'll yankees will be seeing 100 mbit connections for 20 bucks a month like some of us europeans. 

I'd say <5 years. For now, don't use wifi, it can be pretty messed up some times. And I don't really have any conclusive facts on this, but upload speed does matter for latency when gaming. Say I'm uploading alot, my ping will be in the 300-400 range and the game is unplayable. Comparing to when I'm not using it, where I have about 20-50 ping, there's a substantial difference. If you can get an affordable upgrade, go for that.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rinkalicous
@Ertard said:
" Matthew, that bandwidth is abysmal in most countries in the world. Given time, the US will have good infrastructure like most smaller countries (America is pretty huge you know), and ya'll yankees will be seeing 100 mbit connections for 20 bucks a month like some of us europeans.  I'd say <5 years. For now, don't use wifi, it can be pretty messed up some times. And I don't really have any conclusive facts on this, but upload speed does matter for latency when gaming. Say I'm uploading alot, my ping will be in the 300-400 range and the game is unplayable. Comparing to when I'm not using it, where I have about 20-50 ping, there's a substantial difference. If you can get an affordable upgrade, go for that. "
By uploading, do you mean torrenting? Because due to the way torrenting works (something to do with 'Packets' and 'Swarms' and other fancy terms) it totally chokes the internet and obliterates any good pings you may have had. I hear the new version of uTorrent is set to fix this, but we'll have to wait and see. 

If you are torrenting, I should hope it's totally legal!
RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By RIDEBIRD
@Rinkalicous said: 
By uploading, do you mean torrenting? Because due to the way torrenting works (something to do with 'Packets' and 'Swarms' and other fancy terms) it totally chokes the internet and obliterates any good pings you may have had. I hear the new version of uTorrent is set to fix this, but we'll have to wait and see.  If you are torrenting, I should hope it's totally legal! "  
Torrenting indeed. Of course, 15000% legal. Yeah I know it handles packets in another way, and that just might be it. Didn't think of that.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Rinkalicous said:
" @ahriman22 said:
" My ping is 0, so I'm pretty set there. "
So you're saying you host the internet?  Lucky. "
Hehehehehehehe.

@Matthew said:
" ...I remember hearing the guys saying they work with a 16 up connection at the Bomb shelter. "
Dude no. Just no. Never call it that. Never ever. They specifically said not to call it that >_<" Its superrrr lame.

Also as for your problem, you should see what the major providers are in your area, and on their websites they will have speed tests you can run (If you dont see it, just google 'Provider name' Speedtest). There are a bunch of great christmas deals starting around now so you shouldn't have a problem finding a better deal, also if you call them, mention that you are a student, sometimes there are student rates or deals.

Basically your getting crappy ping because your internet is pretty slow and its probably taking a while to reach your ISPs server hub.

How much are you paying for internet currently? You can get way better internet for $25-30 a month, possibly even cheaper if you look.
Hosana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hosana

Speed of my internet is fast as you  !
 I used this site    to check the internet speed & got nice solution..
This site provide information at cheap cost & they are very much good in providing service...