How did you interpret the ending of Shutter Island? *spoilers*

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I have been thinking about this and in the book it suggests that he relasped again, and was given the surgery. However, in the film it is hinted at by what Teddy/Andrew says, that he is still sane, but he cant go on living knowing he ignored his wife and because of that she killed their children. This ending interpretation is strengthened by the fact that Sheehan yells "Teddy!", realizing that he may not have relapsed but is faking it, and willingly getting the lombotomy. What do you guys think? Do you think he relapsed again or willingly got the lombotomy? (or any other interpretations you might have had, you may share your interpretation from the book or the movie)
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I think he intentionally faked the relapse to get the lobotomy, like you said, he probably couldn't live with the fact that he indirectly killed his kids.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By NakAttack
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" I think he intentionally faked the relapse to get the lobotomy, like you said, he probably couldn't live with the fact that he indirectly killed his kids. "
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By breadfan

I saw it twice this weekend and I am still going back and forth on the ending. That's what I love about these sort of movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Br3adfan said:
"I saw it twice this weekend and I am still going back and forth on the ending. That's what I love about these sort of movies. "

You should read the book if you havent yet.
ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ImpendingFoil

I'm thinking he faked the relapse just to be able to get rid of the pain of his family dying.  I saw this movie on an early theater preview and have been really wanting to discuss this ending with people I know. Hopefully they saw it over the weekend so I can talk to them about it tomorrow.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mrfizzy
@Godlyawesomeguy: i think he faked the relapse so he would get the labotomy. just coz of the line he says to the psychologist "is it better to die sane or live as a monster" i see it that hes saying that he cant face what he is and what he has done. 
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PeasantAbuse
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
"I think he intentionally faked the relapse to get the lobotomy, like you said, he probably couldn't live with the fact that he indirectly killed his kids. "

Thats exactly what I thought as well.
MeatXbeatsXman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By MeatXbeatsXman

Something Scorsese does very well is just leaving you totally flabbergasted. I want to go see it again, so I thought that they had in fact drugged him so badly that they manipulated him to become a mindless puppet, reinforcing the idea of how cruel and sadistic we are capable of being to one another, along with the discussion with the warden and the escaped C Ward inmate, but hearing some of you guys' hypotheses just reinforced how awesome of a movie it is. For a movie to bear such a variable range of themes speaks volumes of the creativity and talent behind the movie.