How do you feel about internet ratings?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Diamond

Youtube comment and video ratings, forum post ratings (like here on Giant Bomb), game modding communities, and even within games like Little Big Planet and Far Cry 2.  Lots of sites allow users to anonymously rate threads and comments and information, but I feel it leads to abuse more often than any kind of real information.  Many forums turn into a popularity contest (either hate or like), and I never feel it adds anything to any internet community.  What are your thoughts?

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Wolverine

Yeah I really don't see a point to them because in a forum you could just quote the post you don't like and tell people why you disagree with it.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

i just rated you and gave you a +1, are you happy now??

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Diamond
LiveOrDie1212 said:
"i just rated you and gave you a +1, are you happy now??"
I feel like I've been rated very positively on Giant Bomb actually.  I take advantage of the rating system too, but sometimes I feel like I'm fighting against a tide.  I haven't always fared so well on Youtube and other places (another example might be the 360's prefer/avoid feature, I have 5 stars, but it means nothing).

Personally I just wish they'd get wiped from the net.  Major Nelson blogs getting rated down for dumb reasons, Joystiq comments getting rated higher or lower than they deserve.  Users here on Giant Bomb who always get -'s because of their past history.  Crappy videos on Youtube rated way higher, and some people who only get a few hundred views and a jerk gives them a single star.  I think it's a wholly negative thing.
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By fr0br0

Some people are dicks and will abuse the system. Welcome to the internet. And mankind.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JoelTGM

I dunno, on youtube when a comment gets marked down enough I think it becomes hidden to everyone.  On this site I just +1 someone's post if I agree with them but don't feel I need to make a whole new post saying I agree.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond
Fr0Br0 said:
"Some people are dicks and will abuse the system. Welcome to the internet. And mankind."
I think the system gets more abuse than it helps anything.  Why have a system that ONLY allows for abuse?
ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ParanoidFreak

It's nice to have people's opinion voiced, sadly it gets abused.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fr0br0
Diamond said:
"Fr0Br0 said:
"Some people are dicks and will abuse the system. Welcome to the internet. And mankind."
I think the system gets more abuse than it helps anything.  Why have a system that ONLY allows for abuse?"
Because people insist on there being a feature that has certain things stand out from others. They want something that says "Hey look at me. I'm the good stuff you want to look at." And a rating system is the simplest way to do that. But as long as people remain anonymous when using that system, there is no way to regulate it.

So it's something we need, but hope that it does more good than harm.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax

I miss Youtube's "show" button that appears on a comment with more than 6 thumbs down. I liked seeing what the person said. Now it just gets removed completely if people disagree with it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By toowalrus

I really really like the Rooster Teeth method of using the ratings, I wish GiantBomb had that.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond
natetodamax said:
"I miss Youtube's "show" button that appears on a comment with more than 6 thumbs down. I liked seeing what the person said. Now it just gets removed completely if people disagree with it."
You can click reply if you want to see the message, I think it's dumb too, especially with how out of control Youtube is.
inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By inkeiren

Most people on the internet do not put much thought into ratings. Go onto iTunes. Every album by any band that got anywhere will be loaded with 5 star reviews. I really only listen to friends and critics for recommendations. People who like to be "loud" on the internet about their opinions are often not the intelligent ones. The internet is also a magnificent echo chamber. Because of this most rating systems are broken when the community has influence on them.