How Would You Save Olympics Games?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I don't like Olympics games. They could be better, right?

Dream game:

Annualizable. Know what I'm saying? Here's what you call the off-years: Road to the Olympics. In any case you would have to template the shit out of these games, which is fine, since the events are relatively static. Speed skating or 100-meter dash doesn't change much year over year as far as rules go. You'd only have to slap the faces on to the bodies that you'd reskin every year. For this reason a slightly cartooned look is preferable to attempts at "real". Cel-shaded games seem to have great blurring effects, which is just a big thumbs up to your crowds looking good. New physics and animations now and them would be nice. Years of steady development sh/would result in a polished product by no more than two iterations. Compared to competitive team sports Olympic sports are far simpler in so far as the number of camera angles you need to plan for, number of competitors, number of objects on screen and competing AIs. This might sound crazy but somebody like Double Fine would be a perfect fit for this kind of game, because it has to have a story to really win. You must become an Olympian. You know I just pictured Tim Schafer and suddenly I've changed my idea. Wouldn't it be great if you travelled through Olympic Time? Undoubtedly once time machines are up and running villains will exploit the ability to send future-trained athletes into the past to change the course of Olympic history, thus changing the fate of the world. Many alternate realities are created when this happens and so of course somebodies taxes have to go to building heroes, heroes of time that is: Time Cops: In Olympic Time. Of course in many realities these ultimate athletes could go on to wield political power in one way or another. At Game Start it's already too late for many of these worlds. In fact this realities are where the Time Cops were born, where they're still born, raised, trained and buried.

That's the opening. The rest of the game is a Child Becomes Adult Tutorial segment, followed by... mini-games! But this one has a story. You can only play each mini-game X number of times per "season". There are a some training seasons with random tournaments thrown in. Win a tournament? Win bonus XP. Level it up. Earn some skills. Get better, so on. In-between racing true-blue athletes you are sometimes confronted by a Time Nemesis. They can cheat and will force you to develop new tactics. For instance, during a round of 4-man speed skating, you need to push the other skaters (though they're not on your team) ahead of you, in an attempt to momentarily stun the Time Nemesis. After rounds of training you do the Olympics, which is just the same things but in a fancy different location now and then.

That's the frame.

So... anyone got ideas?

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By pyromagnestir

Is it wrong that I was really hoping against hope that this was gonna have something to do with Munich the Game?

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Contrarian

I didn't know it needed saving.

I don't want to save it, I don't want to watch it and I don't want to hear about it. It is boring and the worst part is the flag waving patriotism that makes me want to throw up. I am not pointing the parochialism at any country, they are all bad at it and the jingoism of the locals and their press (anywhere) is revolting.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By matthias2437

TL;DR

I would save the Olympics by turning it into a month long gladiator event not dissimilar to the one depicted in the movie The Gladiator.

ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ma_rc_01

I think it should be a cover based third person shooter where the athletes are dropped behind enemy lines and have to fight their way to the Olympics. After that, kinect based sports minigames.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PeasantAbuse

idk i dont like watching people exercise

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WMWA

Make them...special

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BrockNRolla

Include random "Panda Bear Madness Minutes" where all the athletes, coaches, and dignitaries have to run out onto the field and break out their best moves.

Yes. Those moves will also be judged.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

@wmaustin55 said:

Make them...special

They already have the Special Olympics, and at least in terms of its concept, it wouldn't change a damn thing; the Special Olympics are for people with mental disabilities, meaning the competitors would likely be of the same physical prowess of Non-Special Olympics athletes. (And like that, I'm sure an army of former Olympic athletes are coming to kick my ass for calling them non-special.)

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By dillonwerner

Plant bombs in all participating countries and if your country doesn't get enough medals, BOOM!

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmilingPig

I want to manage a country’s Olympic Games.

You need to:

- Find the athletes

-train the athletes

-research new drugs for the athletes

-Bribes the Olympic comity to try to have the Olympic in your country

-Bribes the judges

- pay brutes to ruff up the athletes from other delegations

-spy on other delegations

...A true Olimpic simulation.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Brendan

@Contrarian said:

I don't want to save it, I don't want to watch it and I don't want to hear about it. It is boring and the worst part is the flag waving patriotism that makes me want to throw up. I am not pointing the parochialism at any country, they are all bad at it and the jingoism of the locals and their press (anywhere) is revolting.

Hey, somebody that lives in our country won a medal. WE won, WE won!!1

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WMWA
@Video_Game_King The ellipses in my comment signified the actual special Olympics. Lol
Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@Brendan said:

@Contrarian said:

Yeah fuck being proud of your country.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Contrarian

@Manhattan_Project said:

@Brendan said:

@Contrarian said:

Yeah fuck being proud of your country.

@Brendan I hate you ..............

@Manhattan_Project The spirit of the Olympics is the spirit of the human achievement. A true Olympics would have no flangs and no anthems. Only the name of the greatest athlete would suffice. Parochialism and jingoism is contrary to the spirit of the Olympics .......... still wouldn't care about them though.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HUNGER GAMES

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Sambambo

Hundreds of people at their physical peak doing extraordinary things.

How can you not enjoy the Olympics? The amount of sport on offer is incredible!

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By InternetCrab

You know you could play it old school and play the Olympics naked.

No Caption Provided
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By monkeyking1969

I don't like sports games. When you combine 20 different sports games, few of which are done well, you just have crap. I agree with some people that the game needs to be about "the life" of an athlete, not the few few minutes of competition, but they years of life leading to that moment. The Olympics are BETTER then mere mini-games jammed together.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Unless they changed it to some Hunger Games kind of shit I'll probably never be interested.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@InternetCrab said:

You know you could play it old school and play the Olympics naked.

No Caption Provided

The Olympics already have separate categories based on gender right? If so, FUCK YES!

Avatar image for alianthaberries
AlianthaBerries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AlianthaBerries

The Olympics already is a third-person-shooter, they also have Basketball, Football, Tennis, Boxing, Wrestling, BMX, Taekwando.

If you don't like the Athletics then you have a multitude of awesome sports on offer.

Also it isn't just about national pride, it's about the whole world (for the most part) tuning in to watch the absolute best athletes compete at their best.

If none of that does anything for you then you must be able to appreciate the importance it holds in world culture? The world would be a worse place without the games.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jay444111

Chess Boxing would be interesting. People beating the crap out of each other for two minutes. Then to go through a chess match for a certain amount of time till you have to fight again. It requires brains and strength! That is a sport I can support! (rhyming not meant to happen.)

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hunkulese
@GERALTITUDE Your idea to improve Olympic games is to annualize them? When has that ever made any game better.

If they wanted to make a better Olympic game they'd need to work on it for longer than a month and they still probably wouldn't sell that well.
captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By captain_max707
@Jay444111: I think you'd need a third category, otherwise a situation could come up where one contestant is a fantastic fighter and can win based on that alone, and vice versa. Perhaps if it were chess-boxing-skating, where you require brawn, brains, and dexterity. Truly a contest for champions. 
GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@pyromagnestir: That's kind of an amazing concept... but yes, it's wrong.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Marcsman

Make Pole Dancing a event. Women only of course.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@Hunkulese: It's the only solution in our world!

If they annualize them, they can work on the base engine for longer, way way longer than they get to work on it now (so I agree with you). This way the money grubbers get to grub money, and gamers get better games. Unlike most franchises, the Olympics would be fine to annualize. Like I said, 1 real instalment every 2 years (winter/summer) with some packs in the middle.

orange_pork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By orange_pork

Women's Beach Volleyball is one of the greatest sports in the history of mankind. So I guess I'd just make the whole Olympics revolve around that event.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By stinky

2 men should enter, but only one should leave.