I knew Avatar was going to do well but... holy SHIT!

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By K0rN

Sorry if there is already a thread about this but James Cameron's Avatar made 1.6 billion at the box office! =O I thought it would have made maybe 700m but I was not expecting this at all! At this rate it's only a matter of time until Avatar surpasses Titanic! What are your thoughts on the sales?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ryanwho

We're going to get a bunch of awful movies on the coattails of this from people attempting to key into the movie's success in about a year's time even though it took like a decade to make. Remember all those great movies that came out in response to The Dark Knight or any given Pixar movie? Me neither.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

Not surprising. Avatar appeals to a lot of different people for diffeerent reasons. Cineasts go see Avatar just as much as the average hurr hurr durr Michael Bay fan - Even my parents, who are not moviegoers AT ALL went to see this in the first week. 

Lowest common denominator story + new technology + very broad target audience and appeal + HUGE and good marketing / hype = teh moneyz.

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By K0rN

Well it's only a matter of months until Titanic is kicked off it's high throne. Nice to see because the movie was epic.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ninjakiller

OH GREAT NOW EVERY MOVIE IN THE WORLD WILL BE 3-D...YAY! OH WAIT DID I SAY YAY!?  I MEANT FUCK!!!!

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By K0rN
@ninjakiller said:
"OH GREAT NOW EVERY MOVIE IN THE WORLD WILL BE 3-D...YAY! OH WAIT DID I SAY YAY!?  I MEANT FUCK!!!! "

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#7  Edited By citizenkane

James Cameron wins again.

Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Alphonzo

I still can't believe that this frikkin lightshow won a Golden Globe for best movie.....

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I saw it last night in 3-D, it was pretty fuckin insane.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By skrutop
@Alphonzo said:
" I still can't believe that this frikkin lightshow won a Golden Globe for best movie..... "
I can.  The story wasn't great, but it was unbelievable to see in 3-D.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Meowayne
@skrutop said:
" @Alphonzo said:
" I still can't believe that this frikkin lightshow won a Golden Globe for best movie..... "
I can.  The story wasn't great, but it was unbelievable to see in 3-D. "
So was Beowulf. That didn't win any prizes, nor did it perform very well.
Its all in the marketing.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Evilsbane

I thought the movie was great so....Great! Everyone needs to get off of the Story had been told before bull, every romantic comedy, every kids animated movie aside from Pixar's stuff has all been the same for god knows how long and Avatar had some really cool ideas I loved the physical connection to the world not so much a spiritual thing but having something actually there was pretty neat, It really felt like all of my favorite things all thrown into one movie, fantasy - future - sci-fi - . And my god did the movie look good in IMAX 3D, if you didn't see it in 3D because you can't or won't you missed out.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By CL60
@Meowayne said:
" @skrutop said:
" @Alphonzo said:
So was Beowulf. That didn't win any prizes, nor did it perform very well. Its all in the marketing. "
Avatar is leaps and bounds better looking then Beowulf...
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Linkyshinks

I'm not surprised by this, Avatar always had much more mass market appeal than Titanic, which is really a romance story more than a disaster movie. 

It's the Blu-Ray and DVD sales that it will really make it's money from, many are going to want to own a copy of this and experience it in the comfort of their own home. A master stoke would be creating a Directors Cut for the DVD and Blu-Ray, I think that would go down a storm if it added extra footage. Cameron's earlier Sci-Fi films, "The Abyss" and Aliens, had directors cut's released=, I see no reason why that wont happen with this also. 

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Dany

By this net week end or the middle of next week, is when it will be the number one movie of all time.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

I have seen in it 3-D.

And....

...DAMN.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By lebkin
@K0rN said:
" Well it's only a matter of months until Titanic is kicked off it's high throne. Nice to see because the movie was epic. "
The incredible thing is that it will be one James Cameron film knocking off another one.  Even if you didn't like him as a director, one has to admit he knows how to make movies with mass appeal.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy

This is nothing but bad news for future films. Prepare to see so much garbage spewed out in hopes of following Avatar's path. I hate you Avatar.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Meowayne
@CL60 said:
" @Meowayne said:
" @skrutop said:
" @Alphonzo said:
So was Beowulf. That didn't win any prizes, nor did it perform very well. Its all in the marketing. "
Avatar is leaps and bounds better looking then Beowulf... "
Effects-wise, yes. But the 3D technology employed in AVATAR isn't new, and 1.6 billion people could have experienced it last year - but they didn't. 
So "the 3D technology makes it amazing, that's why this movie is popular" misses the point. The point would be:

Unlike previous 3D movies, the marketing people for this one managed to pull off having people think: I need to see this. This is something special. I'll miss out on something if I don't go see it. 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanwho
@xyzygy said:
" This is nothing but bad news for future films. Prepare to see so much garbage spewed out in hopes of following Avatar's path. I hate you Avatar. "
Avatar without a huge budget and cutting edge tech is a corny melodrama. And the movies it will spawn, guess what, will have a smaller budget and regular tech, and about 8 months to get it all done. Its gonna be messy.
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Binman88

Glad it did so well, looking forward to see another one.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By maxszy
@Linkyshinks: Oh yes, completely agree. The Blu-Ray and DVD's are going to get gobbled up faster than any of us could say "gobble." I'll be among them, getting my copy on Blu-Ray so I can't criticize at all. But you're right, that's where the REAL money is going to be. Which is rather ridiculous to even think, since it has made so much in the box office.