• 77 results
im_not_herbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By im_not_herbert

I come here to read about games, not social issues...

Who cares if a woman dev was insulted, I just want to play the game I paid for...

Articles like this split the community...

All this talking accomplishes nothing, stop talking and start doing...

Articles like this are just click bait...

Well this stuff goes on in other industries so why should we care...

As a gamer, I am interested in the whole of the gaming industry, not just about the latest map pack for Call of Honor Future Combat 37: Regurgitation Evolved. I find it interesting that if a writer for a gaming site posts an article on, say, what a developer does to blow off steam after crunch time, readers will find it interesting and entertaining, but if it's an article about a female dev (or journalist) being treated disrespectfully, well then hey buddy, how dare you. That first article is indeed something interesting and entertaining, but the second is actually important. It needs to be written, the issue needs to be addressed, and we need to deal with these things as a community.

We want to play the games we paid for, but for some us, our enjoyment is diminished if we know that members of the team who made the game or of the reporting community were treated with disrespect by fellow employees or members of her community. It adds a taint to the experience. The answer for this is not to bury our heads in the sand or demand that the issue not be addressed, the answer is for more articles to be written, and still more, until the people responsible for the offending attitudes finally get the point that what they are doing is wrong, and it will not be tolerated. The only way that is going to happen is if the reporting is done where the gamers go, and those gamers in turn let developers and other journalists or PR people know that they support women in the industry and will not accept that behavior.

No one wants to see schism in their favorite forums, but if that is what it takes to get people to understand that a real problem exists, so be it. And let's be very clear - the people complaining about social issues articles splitting the community are exactly the ones who are doing the splitting. They are the ones who want the sweep the issues under the rug. "All you with articles like these is divide to community and make people hate each other." Really? So your answer to that is... what? Ignore the issue and hope it goes away? The really real world doesn't work that way, and if that is how you deal with problems, then you are part of the problem.

Writing articles, community discussion, does accomplish something - it informs people about issues they may not have been aware of previously And those people then go out and modify their behavior. Maybe they talk to other people they know outside of the gaming community. Maybe they stand up for a coworker or friend who is being treated disrespectfully where they might not have before because they didn't realize there was a problem. Maybe this only happens with one in a thousand people who see these articles or participate in these discussions, which is why more articles and discussions are needed, not less.

Dismissing the subject of sexism (or racism, or any other -ism) as click bait is another way of trying to dismiss the problem and hope it goes away. It belittles the issue and those real people affected by it. It is a symptom of your privilege - it doesn't affect you, so it must not be really real. Well, it is real, and casually dismissing it will not make it go away. It will, in fact, make those of us who recognize the problem get louder until you get the point - whether you like it or not.

Because an injustice exists outside of your particular interest group does not mean it should not be addressed within your interest group. Dismissing an issue as a "first world problem" does not mean it is not a problem. Declaring that somebody somewhere in the world has things worse does not mean that people here do not have it bad. I have seen this issue - sexism - as a problem in every community I am a part of, and I have it seen it dismissed with the exact same arguments in every single one. Dismissed by those who are the very root of the problem. I know many of them do not realize they are contributors to the problem. They are perfectly nice people. But when you demand the issue not be addressed, you are giving aid and comfort to those among you who are not nice people. You are enabling them.

If you don't want to be a part of the solution, that is your business. But at least do the rest of us a favor and try not to part of the problem.

im_not_herbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By im_not_herbert

I come here to read about games, not social issues...

Who cares if a woman dev was insulted, I just want to play the game I paid for...

Articles like this split the community...

All this talking accomplishes nothing, stop talking and start doing...

Articles like this are just click bait...

Well this stuff goes on in other industries so why should we care...

As a gamer, I am interested in the whole of the gaming industry, not just about the latest map pack for Call of Honor Future Combat 37: Regurgitation Evolved. I find it interesting that if a writer for a gaming site posts an article on, say, what a developer does to blow off steam after crunch time, readers will find it interesting and entertaining, but if it's an article about a female dev (or journalist) being treated disrespectfully, well then hey buddy, how dare you. That first article is indeed something interesting and entertaining, but the second is actually important. It needs to be written, the issue needs to be addressed, and we need to deal with these things as a community.

We want to play the games we paid for, but for some us, our enjoyment is diminished if we know that members of the team who made the game or of the reporting community were treated with disrespect by fellow employees or members of her community. It adds a taint to the experience. The answer for this is not to bury our heads in the sand or demand that the issue not be addressed, the answer is for more articles to be written, and still more, until the people responsible for the offending attitudes finally get the point that what they are doing is wrong, and it will not be tolerated. The only way that is going to happen is if the reporting is done where the gamers go, and those gamers in turn let developers and other journalists or PR people know that they support women in the industry and will not accept that behavior.

No one wants to see schism in their favorite forums, but if that is what it takes to get people to understand that a real problem exists, so be it. And let's be very clear - the people complaining about social issues articles splitting the community are exactly the ones who are doing the splitting. They are the ones who want the sweep the issues under the rug. "All you with articles like these is divide to community and make people hate each other." Really? So your answer to that is... what? Ignore the issue and hope it goes away? The really real world doesn't work that way, and if that is how you deal with problems, then you are part of the problem.

Writing articles, community discussion, does accomplish something - it informs people about issues they may not have been aware of previously And those people then go out and modify their behavior. Maybe they talk to other people they know outside of the gaming community. Maybe they stand up for a coworker or friend who is being treated disrespectfully where they might not have before because they didn't realize there was a problem. Maybe this only happens with one in a thousand people who see these articles or participate in these discussions, which is why more articles and discussions are needed, not less.

Dismissing the subject of sexism (or racism, or any other -ism) as click bait is another way of trying to dismiss the problem and hope it goes away. It belittles the issue and those real people affected by it. It is a symptom of your privilege - it doesn't affect you, so it must not be really real. Well, it is real, and casually dismissing it will not make it go away. It will, in fact, make those of us who recognize the problem get louder until you get the point - whether you like it or not.

Because an injustice exists outside of your particular interest group does not mean it should not be addressed within your interest group. Dismissing an issue as a "first world problem" does not mean it is not a problem. Declaring that somebody somewhere in the world has things worse does not mean that people here do not have it bad. I have seen this issue - sexism - as a problem in every community I am a part of, and I have it seen it dismissed with the exact same arguments in every single one. Dismissed by those who are the very root of the problem. I know many of them do not realize they are contributors to the problem. They are perfectly nice people. But when you demand the issue not be addressed, you are giving aid and comfort to those among you who are not nice people. You are enabling them.

If you don't want to be a part of the solution, that is your business. But at least do the rest of us a favor and try not to part of the problem.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CaLe

This is just getting boring now.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WasabiCurry

Not another one! D:

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I don't know man, the only things I've learned from reading those articles is that there are gamers out there who are dicks to women.

Except I already knew that, and there's really nothing I can do about it. So you know, after a while it's like cool but do we need to bring up this shit all the time?

you know?!?!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#5  Edited By StarvingGamer

Like it or not, Giantbomb is primarily an entertainment website. People come here to be entertained, not to be preached at.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some good social discourse, but I completely understand where some people are coming from when they complain about it here. Sometimes you want to unwind and just read something fun about a hobby you love. There's nothing wrong with you if you want to keep the heavy/heady stuff separate from your casual time. Especially when some of the things you're reading are handled so clumsily they border on accidental neo-feminism.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@StarvingGamer said:

Like it or not, Giantbomb is primarily an entertainment website. People come here to be entertained, not to be preached at.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some good social discourse, but I completely understand where some people are coming from when they complain about it here. Sometimes you want to unwind and just read something fun about a hobby you love. There's nothing wrong with you if you want to keep the heavy/heady stuff separate from your casual time. Especially when some of the things you're reading are handled so clumsily they border on accidental neo-feminism.

People can just not read the articles then. I mean they are accurately titled. This is an issue about video games that's very important so I don't know why this stuff should be ignored by the website. Like Jeff said they do primarily want to be crazy and entertaining but they should be serious as well so that people understand where they are coming from with their humor. They also want to be credible so they can get away with their more crazy stuff.

im_not_herbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By im_not_herbert

and

I hear what you're saying. But like said, no one forces anyone to read those articles. And they are important to some people, so there is no reason they shouldn't be there. I just... after reading the articles and like a thousand posts or something, I just needed to purge a little. I didn't really think anyone would even read the post... don't want to retread it all or get people pulling out the long knives again.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Undeadpool

@im_not_herbert: Articles like this split the community...

This one's truly my favorite. Like are we at war with Joystiq or something? Why the hell does the community need to be united in lock-step?

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By VoshiNova

If I read another "Call of blah blah blah" referencing first person shooters resembling call of duty, I will kill a hostage.

It was never clever.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You dont have to read those articles if you dont want to.  My only gripe is that theres way too much pointless argument in there.  I mean I dont really see anyone saying that sexism is a good thing.  

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WasabiCurry

@im_not_herbert: Surprises can certainly happen!

The reason for my earlier comment "not this again" was that it has been preached before (like there was a post similar to this yesterday) Believe me, I have always treated everyone with the same respect and dignity that any one would deserve (unless they're complete snobs). I suppose the main issue I have with the movement itself lies within the crusaders of that said mission~

Posting tweets, articles, and any other form of media is an excellent way to inform. However, we are beyond that stage (for a long time), we need clear examples of how to create an equal atmosphere for everyone, not just women or men. If you were to ask me on how to create that atmosphere, well, that could be a long discussion~

These issues are not simple and it takes a lot of time to fix~ I love the goal of having everyone playing video games and enjoying them. Regardless of being male, female, Muslim, Christian, Catholic, American, British, Indian, or African ~ Imagine the possibility of new games created by these groups! It would truly be astonishing!

It is time to move ahead and put these practices into our everyday lives. Not to condemn those who wish to opt out of the process~ It is their right to not join. Again, we must continue to adopt processes in improving everyone's atmosphere~

Yes, there will be mess ups. Yes, there will be those who will not be with us or against us~ It is the moving forward part that is important~

Being a Sociologist, I kinda understand these issues and how to solve them a little better than your average internet user! X3

I see great intentions here and do not be surprised if most male adults here are totally with the idea! I am betting that they are, but telling them that it is their fault for their inactivity will only cause them to reject it~ It takes subtle ways to say that is your fault, but it is okay! We can move ahead and solve it together!

In short, posting your thoughts on a well known issue is awesome! However, make certain your feelings do not hinder the message~

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JasonR86

@im_not_herbert:

I like your avatar.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Undeadpool

This one's truly my favorite. Like are we at war with Joystiq or something? Why the hell does the community need to be united in lock-step?

Yo man we gotta step it up if we gonna beat dem in da dance off yo.

Where funky student at? We need his hot steps so we can send them fools trippin
frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By frankfartmouth

I don't think there's anything wrong with social issues being brought up on a gaming forum, I just think this particular one is being beat to holy death right now, and I think it's overblown to begin with. Sexism is bad. I have trouble finding an opposing argument for that. But it's also everywhere, and I don't think its presence in the gaming world is so much nastier and more pervasive than in other arenas of life that it warrants 6 threads per day on the topic. I completely disagree with you that this a problem of such dire urgency that we all need to be bludgeoned with it incessantly until it goes away. People are reaching their saturation points with it, and continuing to bring it up over and over and over at this point is just going to turn people off. We get it. It's out there. Now everybody let up for a second and let us just mull it over on our own.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Jrinswand

@CaLe said:

This is just getting boring now.

@WasabiCurry said:

Not another one! D:

You guys, this is a blog post.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WasabiCurry

@Jrinswand: YOU LIE!

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Totally with you dude. Pretty sad that Patrick's articles were completely derailed by a few people who wanted to argue. That being said I think we should take a break on this stuff for a bit. Good blog though.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mtcantor

Funny thing... The longer the comment the less likely it's going to be anything worthwhile.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By htr10

I think it's only fair to warn you guys that I've doused all the forums in gasoline and the next one of these threads, I am lighting the match.

DxBecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By DxBecks

I came, I read, and I agree. I applaud your post. This whole topic of sexism in the video game industry has not only been an eye-opening experience to an issue that needs to be solved, but it also showed just how childish, immature, and sexist the entire video game community really is as a whole. It is maddening to see posts that simultaneously dismiss the idea that sexism is a problem, or even exists and then say "Women just need to grow up, grow some balls, man up" etc. I saw a post on GameSpot the other day that read as follows: "I've never seen a woman get harassed because she was a woman. I've seen a LOT of women get harassed because they were stupid cunts that couldn't do anything right and expected everyone to put up with it solely because they had tits." This comment disgusted me beyond all belief as it implied that harassment and sexual violence against Women, not only doesn't exist but it is the victims fault; that is wrong on so many levels. It is quite frankly, disturbing, disgusting, and terrifying. If we as a community ever want to be taken seriously, things like this need to end. Worse still is that many of the posts on Giant Bomb and GameSpot largely supported the comment I posted; it was in the majority view. Just like racism it is very unlikely that sexism will ever stop, but that doesn't mean we as a community and an industry cannot work together to eradicate sexist, racist, and homophobic from the industry as much as humanly possible.

Trainer_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Trainer_Red

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Totally with you dude. Pretty sad that Patrick's articles were completely derailed by a few people who wanted to argue. That being said I think we should take a break on this stuff for a bit. Good blog though.

Ok seriously guys.

Half of you are complaining about this issue and all the arguing all while passively aggressively still trying to argue or get your point across. It's ridiculous.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
@Trainer_Red

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Ok seriously guys.

Half of you are complaining about this issue and all the arguing all while passively aggressively still trying to argue or get your point across. It's ridiculous.

Oh sorry dude my bad. I wasn't aware personal opinions weren't allowed here. Won't happen again.
devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By devise22

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@StarvingGamer said:

People can just not read the articles then. I mean they are accurately titled. This is an issue about video games that's very important so I don't know why this stuff should be ignored by the website. Like Jeff said they do primarily want to be crazy and entertaining but they should be serious as well so that people understand where they are coming from with their humor. They also want to be credible so they can get away with their more crazy stuff.

Nailed it on the head. There is nothing wrong if people wish to come here to relax and enjoy and be as casual as possible. Those people are the ones who do not respond to the articles like the ones Patrick recently posted. However there are others who feel as sense of entitlement to their "Giant Bomb." When issues like this are raised and they do not agree with the issue or do not agree with the issue at all being voiced on their website they get mad. They don't want to see this stuff on Giant Bomb because somehow they feel it belongs to them.

Anyways to the original poster, great read. Too often people forget the actual power a community and awareness have. So many people argue that awareness is meaningless unless your in a situation to act on it but it isn't true. November just ended, you know Movember? Millions of men wear a moustache that do not have any association with any donation pages. Yet they help get donations. How? Free advertisement. They become a walking reminder of the cause they support. The more discussion about an issue we get the more awareness we get the more it spreads. Eventually it'll spread to an office where an offense of sexism is occurring. Where it will also be discussed, and the parties involved will start to realize what they are doing is not some isolated incident where they are free from judgement. In cases like this that is what is true punishment for most involved. Because from what I've seen from sexist people I've met, they aren't generally bad people. A lot of them it is ingrained into their minds from the way they were raised or where they were growing up. But as soon as any judgement is cast upon them for what they are doing, they will usually stop and think about it.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jimbo

I'm all for the articles being written, I just don't think they were any good.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25  Edited By Raven10

I'll be honest. I agree with you in a lot of ways, but sometimes the brute force approach doesn't work as well as you might expect. Look at the people in Ohio during the recent presidential election. By the end they were simply ignoring phone calls and hated both candidates because neither would leave them alone. It didn't help the issue after a certain point. Everyone knew there was a major issue at hand and had made up their minds on it. Any additional campaigning was just wasted and would have been better spent on other issues or elsewhere in the country. Likewise, these endless sexism posts on every major gaming website were good for a couple of days, but at this point bludgeoning people with the issue isn't going to do anything more. Your points are solid but they have been made 100 times already in other posts. People get it, and unless you are proposing an actionable solution to the problem you are wasting your time and if anything, making people take the opposite viewpoint that you want them to.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By DarthOrange

Are you a vegetarian, because some would say that the issue of how we get meat is wrong and needs to be addressed. Do you only buy cloths from american appear and similar sources or do you buy clothes that was made with child labor? Apple also does all sorts of horrible things to meet the demands of "developed countries" who need their latest version of their i-device. This is a little of topic from what you said but the point is there are bigger issues. 

But, ok. Videogames. Do you have a PS3, even though Sony exploits workers in Mexico and has them working in dangerous conditions where they just dump their waste in the water because no one is there to tell the bastards stop? Or at least they used to, I think they are moving those jobs to India to save some money with their financial situation where it is. Or what about 360? Microsoft overworks Chinese without even giving them enough time to sleep. Or Nintendo, who has their shit built at hell on earth itself (foxconn). There are bigger issues in videogames then women being treated unfairly. If Giant Bomb is going to bring this issue to light why don't they bring up all dark and horrible things that go into making videogames? Sexism and racism are bad but I think we can all agree that exploitation is worse.

Trainer_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Trainer_Red

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Trainer_Red

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Ok seriously guys.

Oh sorry dude my bad. I wasn't aware personal opinions weren't allowed here. Won't happen again.

No my dude, go crazy that's not what i'm saying... i'ts just strange to see people commenting about "needing to take a break" from this argument right after bringing up something that basically shits all over that statement.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Trainer_Red said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Trainer_Red

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Ok seriously guys.

No my dude, go crazy that's not what i'm saying... i'ts just strange to see people commenting about "needing to take a break" from this argument right after bringing up something that basically shits all over that statement.

Ohh I gotcha. Yeah I guess that doesn't make sense. I guess what I'm saying is I think these sorta articles are important and discussion is a good thing. At the same time after the past few days I'm kinda exhausted by it. Yeah that still doesn't make sense now that I think about it but I dunno...yeah 'I dunno' probably sums it up for me now.

Trainer_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Trainer_Red

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Trainer_Red said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Trainer_Red

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Ok seriously guys.

Ohh I gotcha. Yeah I guess that doesn't make sense. I guess what I'm saying is I think these sorta articles are important and discussion is a good thing. At the same time after the past few days I'm kinda exhausted by it. Yeah that still doesn't make sense now that I think about it but I dunno...yeah 'I dunno' probably sums it up for me now.

I know the feels. I never knew internet fatigue was possible until now.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ripelivejam

LOUD NOISES! etc.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Morrow

@FancySoapsMan said:

I don't know man, the only things I've learned from reading those articles is that there are gamers out there who are dicks to women.

It's not only gamers. Pricks come in all shapes and forms.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JasonR86

@Morrow said:

@FancySoapsMan said:

It's not only gamers. Pricks come in all shapes and forms.

Big ones. Small ones.

TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@Trainer_Red said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Trainer_Red said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Trainer_Red

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Ok seriously guys.

I know the feels. I never knew internet fatigue was possible until now.

Yeah dude. I'm glad that 80's Giant Bomb sitcom video came along. Was a great reminder of how awesome it can be here.

im_not_herbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By im_not_herbert

@JasonR86: @JasonR86 said:

@im_not_herbert:

I like your avatar.

Yeah, Echo... she had too short a season for kicking ass on TV.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JasonR86

@im_not_herbert said:

@JasonR86: @JasonR86 said:

@im_not_herbert:

I like your avatar.

Yeah, Echo... she had too short a season for kicking ass on TV.

I especially like it considering sexism and objectification and stuff.

(I'm joking dude so don't get too offended as everyone seems to be on the site nowadays)

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Phatmac

Issues like these have to be brought up in order for them be dealt with. Like it or not Giant Bomb has always been more then just people goofing off and making jokes.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AthleticShark

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

You dont have to read those articles if you dont want to. My only gripe is that theres way too much pointless argument in there.

The best one was some guy saying "I don't pay to read articles like this". You don't pay to read any articles at all!!!

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38  Edited By Levio

Come on guys, lets all settle down with a nice Winston's break

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I was just thinking how nice it'd be if we had another thread talking about sexism.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#40  Edited By Undeadpool

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Undeadpool

Yo man we gotta step it up if we gonna beat dem in da dance off yo. Where funky student at? We need his hot steps so we can send them fools trippin

Dag, yo. Dag. Yo.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ShaggE

@VoshiNova said:

If I read another "Call of blah blah blah" referencing first person shooters resembling call of duty, I will kill a hostage.

It was never clever.

Call of SHOOTY, more like! Eh? Ehhhh???

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DoctorWelch

@DarthOrange said:

Are you a vegetarian, because some would say that the issue of how we get meat is wrong and needs to be addressed. Do you only buy cloths from american appear and similar sources or do you buy clothes that was made with child labor? Apple also does all sorts of horrible things to meet the demands of "developed countries" who need their latest version of their i-device. This is a little of topic from what you said but the point is there are bigger issues.

But, ok. Videogames. Do you have a PS3, even though Sony exploits workers in Mexico and has them working in dangerous conditions where they just dump their waste in the water because no one is there to tell the bastards stop? Or at least they used to, I think they are moving those jobs to India to save some money with their financial situation where it is. Or what about 360? Microsoft overworks Chinese without even giving them enough time to sleep. Or Nintendo, who has their shit built at hell on earth itself (foxconn). There are bigger issues in videogames then women being treated unfairly. If Giant Bomb is going to bring this issue to light why don't they bring up all dark and horrible things that go into making videogames? Sexism and racism are bad but I think we can all agree that exploitation is worse.

This is basically what I've been thinking the whole time, but I couldn't put it into words because of how frustrated I am with people, and also because I'm extremely tired due to the end of the semester.

Basically, no matter what you've been through as a female who likes games, you still have it way better off than those people exploited to let you have the life you have. Eventually, if one keeps digging down this rabbit hole of the reality of our lives, it's pretty apparent that not only something like Giant Bomb, but the entirety of our comfortablility is only possible through the exploitation of others.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JasonR86

@ShaggE said:

@VoshiNova said:

It was never clever.

Call of Lazy Shorthand? Call of Limited Vocabulary Leading To Insufficient Descriptors To Describe Products?

...the second one's a little long.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShaggE

@JasonR86 said:

@ShaggE said:

@VoshiNova said:

It was never clever.

Call of Lazy Shorthand? Call of Limited Vocabulary Leading To Insufficient Descriptors To Describe Products?

...the second one's a little long.

More like Call of Limited Vocabulary Leading To Insufficient Descriptors To Describe SHOOTY! Oh snap!

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By _Zombie_

Long explanation short, people are assholes.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@DoctorWelch said:

This is basically what I've been thinking the whole time, but I couldn't put it into words because of how frustrated I am with people, and also because I'm extremely tired due to the end of the semester.

Basically, no matter what you've been through as a female who likes games, you still have it way better off than those people exploited to let you have the life you have. Eventually, if one keeps digging down this rabbit hole of the reality of our lives, it's pretty apparent that not only something like Giant Bomb, but the entirety of our comfortablility is only possible through the exploitation of others.

Problems are problems. Just because people have it worse doesn't mean that we shouldn't want better. I just feel like the argument of people have it worse is kind of a cop-out people use to ignore stuff. That's not to say that child labor and overworked/underpaid people in countries worse off should be ignored until we can figure out what to do about racism or sexism. No, but like it or not these are issues that at the very least should be discussed.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HellBound said:

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

You dont have to read those articles if you dont want to. My only gripe is that theres way too much pointless argument in there.

The best one was some guy saying "I don't pay to read articles like this". You don't pay to read any articles at all!!!

Someone actually said that?  Ugh........
Sursh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sursh

the fact that people care so much about this trivial bullshit, is beyond my comprehension.

maybe that makes me a thoughtless, clueless jerk.

or maybe it means i'm ahead of most people and learnt that any form of feminism will lead to fission terminally faster, and it's a waste of time combating an invisible wall of sexism among peoples ideals. in the words of every pompous asshole I've ever known, "get the fuck over it". sorry, but for once i agree with said pompous asshole. sexism exists. you can't make a carefully orchestrated selection change their possibly oblivious ideals. honestly, the fact that i'm participating in this category of discussion makes me want to purge my account. look at this, i'm often very self effacing in the act of participation; this is cold proof that i'm becoming one of you. SHIT.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#49  Edited By Vinny_Says

I thought people were complaining because that article was a lazy, vapid and poorly written piece.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

That's it, now I'm certain it'll never stop.