• 56 results
lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By lazyturtle

So I've been following the whole Arizona immigration thing, and the current attempts in Senate to get moving on immigration reform. Shout out your thoughts on the whole US immigration situation. 

Personally I think the Arizona law is terrible. The main problem that I see with it is a lack of criteria for checking someones status. I know the law says they can't profile based on race...but what exactly are they going to pick up on then? Its simply too vague. The simpler solution would be to require that officers check 100% of peoples immigration status when they interact with them.  

Then the who thing in Senate right now...not 1 republican will sign on? Why exactly? Republicans seem like they are always screaming about immigration..so why not participate in fixing it? I really think if they just participated, they'd get something they wanted...Obama and the Dems seem like they REALLY want to show how bi they are. Especially Lindsey Gram. It sure seems like hes throwing a hissy fit because his bill got bumped out of the way. I'm so tired of the current republican strategy..nonononono. I'm assuming they're waiting until they are in power (either in one of the two houses or the oval) so they can claim credit for it?

BTW..I think its obvious, but please refrain from making racist comments.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

I don't know what's going on. What's going on? I don't think I care honestly.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By PufferFiz

I live in arizona, I support this law 100% .

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Organicalistic_
@lazyturtle:
why do they have to be here illegally, what reason do they not go become citizens, i just don't know?
Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By Termite

The law is a terrible idea. Illegal immigration is definitely a problem, but Arizona's "solution" is about as wrong as you can get.

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JakJ

I do think we need to do something about the massive influx of illegals. What they do is simply not fair to the hundreds of thousands of people waiting in line to come, work, and live in this country using the proper channels. They're not special, if they want to come here to make money they should wait in line like everybody else. I can't cut in line at the grocery store just because I live on the same block.

Still, punishing the person in search of a better life doesn't seem right. I say we go after the employers who hire them. Like with massive fines and jail time. It's common sense that if there wasn't any work and demand for the illegals then they wouldn't come here in the numbers we've been seeing.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By breadfan

Personally I am for immigration 100%, legally of course.  In the specific case of Arizona's recent law on immigration it is clearly a state issue, though it may be a national problem.  Arizona, and only Arizona knows what problems they are facing on a daily basis.  If they want to enforce a law, no other state has no real say in how that law is enacted, unless of course it is infringing upon another state's laws.  

There needs to be a stronger presence along the Mexican-United States border, and the Canadian border as well.  I'm not saying build a giant wall around the United States, but something really needs to be done so that people who are willing to go through the necessary procedures to become a legal citizen are allowed to do so.     

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster
@JakJ said:
" I do think we need to do something about the massive influx of illegals. What they do is simply not fair to the hundreds of thousands of people waiting in line to come, work, and live in this country using the proper channels. They're not special, if they want to come here to make money they should wait in line like everybody else. I can't cut in line at the grocery store just because I live on the same block. Still, punishing the person in search of a better life doesn't seem right. I say we go after the employers who hire them. Like with massive fines and jail time. It's common sense that if there wasn't any work and demand for the illegals then they wouldn't come here in the numbers we've been seeing. "
Yeah I couldn't have said it better than this.
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JakJ
@Br3adfan:  Completely agree. I'm not from Arizona. I don't like the law, but it's really none of my business. Still, I think it's a good jumping off point for a debate.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I cant believe when I first read the title for this thread the first thing I thought of was "Party in the USA". I am a terrible person.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By Termite
@Br3adfan said:
" Personally I am for immigration 100%, legally of course.  In the specific case of Arizona's recent law on immigration it is clearly a state issue, though it may be a national problem.  Arizona, and only Arizona knows what problems they are facing on a daily basis.  If they want to enforce a law, no other state has no real say in how that law is enacted, unless of course it is infringing upon another state's laws.  

There needs to be a stronger presence along the Mexican-United States border, and the Canadian border as well.  I'm not saying build a giant wall around the United States, but something really needs to be done so that people who are willing to go through the necessary procedures to become a legal citizen are allowed to do so.

"
Whether it's to be considered a state issue or not, which itself seems dicey since the federal government is supposed to be overseeing immigration if I'm not mistaken, is irrelevant. The reason most people are complaining about the newest law is because it seems, to most, to be discriminatory. Illegal immigration is a problem, true, but you don't solve that problem by undermining the American spirit of equality.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By breadfan
@JakJ: I agree.  It is a very tough issue. How does the United States government go about dealing with illegal immigrants who have made a successful life for themselves? Simply deporting them seems a bit harsh, but is it actually the right thing to do?  Finding a middle ground is very difficult. 

Honestly, I like many people are fairly ignorant on the subject, as I live in New England far far away from the areas where illegal immigration impacts people on a daily basis.  But something needs to be done fairly soon so that America can allow people willing to come here legally are allowed to do so.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By breadfan
@Termite: The media to a certain degree has been twisting what the law actually is.  Arizona is not simply going to walk up to someone and ask for their documentation, or what have you. Authorities will most likely enforce it if someone is caught breaking the law or something along those lines. 

And yes the Federal government oversees immigration, but Arizona is not infringing upon anything Federal with this law.  All it is doing is allowing authorities to verify one's citizenship and go about the proper means of deportation if that may be the case.
tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tunaburn
@PufferFiz said:
" I live in arizona, I support this law 100% . "
me too
Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Impossibilium
@Br3adfan said:

"But something needs to be done fairly soon so that America can allow people willing to come here legally are allowed to do so. "

What are you talking about? Do you know how many varieties and kinds of entry visas are available to enter the US? There's a visa for almost every possible reason and job contingency.

Look here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1271.html

And that's just temporary entry. If someone wants to "come here legally" there are more than enough ways. The fact is that illegal immigrants just don't want to wait, don't want to get in line, but still want to be treated just like everyone else with additional favors for them.

That's like shoplifter taking a product back to the store when it breaks and demanding warranty service but think the store should ignore the fact they stole it to begin with.
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By spacetrucking

This law is stupid. I still don't understand how they are going to make this work with the 4th amendment. In the words of Jon Stewart: It's a loophole so big, you could drive a truck full of immigrants through it.  

It's also asking too much of the legal immigrants. It requires us to carry our documents on us at all time, ready to be presented when asked. My I-20 and Passport are too valuable to be with me everywhere I go. If I lose either of those, I'd have to immediately go back to my country. That is going to require thousands of dollars on travel and at least 3-4 weeks of paperwork. I'm so glad I didn't take that offer from ASU.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Brians

Immigration problems won't be solved going after people. They will be solved when laws are made that affect corporations bottom line.

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Impossibilium
@Killjoi said:
" This law is stupid. I still don't understand how they are going to make this work with the 4th amendment. In the words of Jon Stewart: It's a loophole so big, you could drive a truck full of immigrants through it.   It's also asking too much of the legal immigrants. It requires us to carry our documents on us at all time, ready to be presented when asked. My I-20 and Passport are too valuable to be with me everywhere I go. If I lose either of those, I'd have to immediately go back to my country and spend at least 3-4 weeks getting a new one. I'm so glad I didn't take that offer from ASU. "

It doesn't require anything like that.

If you are pulled over for violating a law (which means you fucked up already) then you are required to produce your driving license. if you have your license then the police don't do anything else. The police only run an immigration check if you can't show a valid license which means you've fucked up twice even if you are here legally and that makes you an idiot no matter where you came from.

And technically all non-citizens are required to carry proof of their legality and always have been. And even if you do fuck up by breaking the law and not having your license you can still present proof of your legality to the police desk if by some mistake you get flagged. It's not as if they are going to throw you in a van and kick you out over the border within five minutes.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By masternater27

I get pretty frustrated with the discussion on this issue.  Most of the people who are supporting it don't realize that illegal immigrants usually pay much more in taxes than your legal citizen.  If the illegal immigrant is working for a legitimate business owner they are getting these taxes withheld from their paycheck as we all do, but they are unable to file for a return as most of us can do.  Plus they are all paying the same sales taxes and such as the rest of us.  What we need to do is crack down on employers who are paying these people under the table.  The really odd part about this is a lot of illegal immigrants that are being paid under the table in cash still file their taxes (though they may claim to make less than they actually do) for fear of being deported and end up having to pay a substantial amount in taxes all at once because their money has not been withheld throughout the year.  I've met several illegal aliens up here in Washington from Canada, Asia and Europe who pay waaaaay more in taxes than I do at a similar salary because they know as long as they do they won't be deported.  I feel like that's the price they pay for not coming here legally (or extending their stay here legally as is the case with most of the people up here).  I've called Arizona home for a brief time and understand the frustration, but passing a law that can easily be used to discriminate is not the way to resolve this issue.  We need to crack down on the businesses that are allowing illegal immigration to be a viable way to emigrate from Mexico first.

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93
@Impossibilium said:

" @Br3adfan said:

"But something needs to be done fairly soon so that America can allow people willing to come here legally are allowed to do so. "

What are you talking about? Do you know how many varieties and kinds of entry visas are available to enter the US? There's a visa for almost every possible reason and job contingency.

Look here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1271.html  And that's just temporary entry. If someone wants to "come here legally" there are more than enough ways. The fact is that illegal immigrants just don't want to wait, don't want to get in line, but still want to be treated just like everyone else with additional favors for them.  That's like shoplifter taking a product back to the store when it breaks and demanding warranty service but think the store should ignore the fact they stole it to begin with. "
Do you know how long it takes to get a green card or visa to stay in the US for a LONG period of time. It takes fucking forever. I should know, I lived there for 5 years on a greencard and then moved back. It took us 4 years to get one (my mums a nurse so we got one faster) and that was considered fast. I came from the UK.... so imagine how long Mexicans have to wait. There are caps you know... 

But that being said I support the law. I think they should build a giant berlin style wall across the border. But BOTH parties wont do anything 

Dems need the Latino vote. Unions dont like it, takes jobs away. But the party doesnt care

Republicans work for business interests, business likes cheap un-unionized labour. Average republicans do care, but the party doesnt.
Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Impossibilium
@CRAzYKiLL3R93 said:

Do you know how long it takes to get a green card or visa to stay in the US for a LONG period of time. It takes fucking forever. I should know, I lived there for 5 years on a greencard and then moved back. It took us 4 years to get one (my mums a nurse so we got one faster) and that was considered fast.

Yes I do know, because I've been through several stages and categories of immigration.

Why does that make any difference? If you want to work in the US you can get visa permission to live and work in the country temporarily in under six months - 15 days with premium processing. After that it's up to you and your employer if you want to stay. If both sides want the same thing then it's just paperwork and patience.
Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bionicicide

Cops should profile on English skills, as far as sniffing out illegals.

I'd like to see corporations get a hefty fine for hiring illegals, but get tax breaks if they have went x number of years without hiring an illegal and of course making visas/greencards easier; especially for those from 1st world countries and with graduates.

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93
@Impossibilium said:

" @CRAzYKiLL3R93 said:

Do you know how long it takes to get a green card or visa to stay in the US for a LONG period of time. It takes fucking forever. I should know, I lived there for 5 years on a greencard and then moved back. It took us 4 years to get one (my mums a nurse so we got one faster) and that was considered fast.
Yes I do know, because I've been through several stages and categories of immigration.   Why does that make any difference? If you want to work in the US you can get visa permission to live and work in the country temporarily in under six months. After that it's up to you and your employer if you want to stay. If both sides want the same thing then it's just paperwork and patience. "
Listen, we cant stop the problem by getting the illegal immigrants to change their views. These are extremely desperate people. But again they put caps on the amount of immigrants. And since a clear majority of immigrants coming into the US are mexican, its a lot harder for them to get the papers. 

Better enforcement and protection will solve the problem. Clamp down on businesses who hire illegal workers and build better border defenses. Now again because of party politics none of this will happen. Now seems an odd time to clamp down on illegal immigration though. Immigration is WAY down due to the recession.  
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By spacetrucking
@Impossibilium said:

" @Killjoi said:

" This law is stupid. I still don't understand how they are going to make this work with the 4th amendment. In the words of Jon Stewart: It's a loophole so big, you could drive a truck full of immigrants through it.   It's also asking too much of the legal immigrants. It requires us to carry our documents on us at all time, ready to be presented when asked. My I-20 and Passport are too valuable to be with me everywhere I go. If I lose either of those, I'd have to immediately go back to my country and spend at least 3-4 weeks getting a new one. I'm so glad I didn't take that offer from ASU. "

It doesn't require anything like that.  If you are pulled over for violating a law (which means you fucked up already) then you are required to produce your driving license. if you have your license then the police don't do anything else. The police only run an immigration check if you can't show a valid license which means you've fucked up twice even if you are here legally and that makes you an idiot no matter where you came from.  And technically all non-citizens are required to carry proof of their legality and always have been. And even if you do fuck up by breaking the law and not having your license you can still present proof of your legality to the police desk if by some mistake you get flagged. It's not as if they are going to throw you in a van and kick you out over the border within five minutes. "
You should read the bill again: 

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf  

FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY

21 OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS
22 STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS
23 UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE,
24 WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON. THE
25 PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
26 PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373(c). 

I don't have to commit a crime for the state to ask for proof of my immigration status. I could be walking down the street or doing anything equally mundane and the law allows the state to question my immigration status. "Reasonable suspicion" can be interpreted as racial profiling, even though the government has made multiple attempt to deny such a thing. 

Your little diatribe about driving license and supposed consequences of violating road laws are covered under a different section of the bill. Your related argument is anecdotal and wholly irrelevant if I'm not driving.

E. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER LAW, A PEACE OFFICER MAY LAWFULLY STOP
21 ANY PERSON WHO IS OPERATING A MOTOR VEHICLE IF THE OFFICER HAS REASONABLE
22 SUSPICION TO BELIEVE THE PERSON IS IN VIOLATION OF ANY CIVIL TRAFFIC LAW AND
23 THIS SECTION.    

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
@Termite said:
"The law is a terrible idea. Illegal immigration is definitely a problem, but Arizona's "solution" is about as wrong as you can get. "

That's fucking absurd.  

Building an enormous cannon in Arizona and using it to blast them back into Mexico would be much worse, as would training grizzly bears to chase them back across the border. I can think of hundreds of worse ways to pester illegal immigrants, you obviously haven't thought this through.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Bionicicide said:
"and of course making visas/greencards easier; especially for those from 1st world countries and with graduates. "
Yeah, god forbid we let poor people into the United States.
Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Impossibilium
@Killjoi said:

I don't have to commit a crime for the state to ask for proof of my immigration status. "Reasonable suspicion" could  be interpreted as racial profiling, even though the government has made multiple attempt to deny such a thing. "

Yes you do.

That's what "lawful contact" meant, but the furore over the constant debate about the legal terminology forced the bill to be changed. What you have there is the old bill. The one that was signed now says "stop, detain or arrest."

If you are illegal don't put yourself in a position to be suspicious or breaking the law and you have no problem. Works for me.
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
@Impossibilium said:
"If you are illegal don't put yourself in a position to be suspicious "

LIke the reverse cowgirl, for example.
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By spacetrucking
@Impossibilium said:

" @Killjoi said:

I don't have to commit a crime for the state to ask for proof of my immigration status. "Reasonable suspicion" could  be interpreted as racial profiling, even though the government has made multiple attempt to deny such a thing. "
 Yes you do.  That's what "lawful contact" meant, but the furore over the constant debate about the legal terminology forced the bill to be changed. What you have there is the old bill. The one that was signed now says "stop, detain or arrest."  If you are illegal don't put yourself in a position to be suspicious or breaking the law and you have no problem. Works for me. "
I can't find any proof that they have taken out the "lawful contact" clause.  Link me the new bill.

And the biggest problem is still "reasonable suspicion". It allows them to question anyone they think might be an illegal immigrant. This law is unnecessarily harsh on legal immigrants. And there is still the question of how it sits with the 4th amendment. I'm still protected by my right to deny any unreasonable searches. 

don't put yourself in a position to be suspicious

I'm sorry. My skin color already precludes me from doing so.
me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By me3639

I have said it for years, the border should resemble Normandy beach including the pill box defenses. If you make it pass, its ok to stay.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

One of you two posts and then I quickly dart in there between you, I dig around, I get dirty, I get underneath the floorboards and drop some nonsense and then I am out so fast neither of you even see me.
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
@me3639 said:

"I have said it for years, the border should resemble Normandy beach including the pill box defenses. If you make it pass, its ok to stay. "

Sounds good apart from the fact that no one is going to agree to sit there in 105 degree heat manning those turrets. We'll have to let at least a a few dozen of them in to do that for us or else this plan will never get off the ground. 
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Animasta

I wonder if anyone's actually taken the immigration test; we had to take it in... 11th US history I believe? shit was hard (we didn't get graded, but most of us failed)

so...

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tunaburn
@Killjoi said:
" This law is stupid. I still don't understand how they are going to make this work with the 4th amendment. In the words of Jon Stewart: It's a loophole so big, you could drive a truck full of immigrants through it.   It's also asking too much of the legal immigrants. It requires us to carry our documents on us at all time, ready to be presented when asked. My I-20 and Passport are too valuable to be with me everywhere I go. If I lose either of those, I'd have to immediately go back to my country. That is going to require thousands of dollars on travel and at least 3-4 weeks of paperwork. I'm so glad I didn't take that offer from ASU. "
thats how it works in every other country.
DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By DCFGS3

While I think that Arizona's solution probably isn't the most effective, I do support it. What I have issue with is people from New York and Washington calling out against it, and saying how aweful it is. You don't have a clue what you're talking about. You don't live in areas affected by illegal immigration, how the fuck would you know how bad the problem is? On a side issue, I actually support racial profiling.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tunaburn
@Killjoi: its the law to always have proof of id on you. and yes i have gotten a ticket for not having any id on me. i simply brought it in to court and it was dismissed but the point is, im a caucasion male, happened to be outside to late and was stopped for looking "suspicious" and all i was doing was standing outside jack in the box at 1am with a friend after eating our burgers.
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By spacetrucking
@tunaburn said:
" @Killjoi: its the law to always have proof of id on you. and yes i have gotten a ticket for not having any id on me. i simply brought it in to court and it was dismissed but the point is, im a caucasion male, happened to be outside to late and was stopped for looking "suspicious" and all i was doing was standing outside jack in the box at 1am with a friend after eating our burgers. "
That's a different case.  

My driving license, university and state id don't prove my immigration status. The law requires the suspect to prove just that. Also, if I lose any of those three, I don't have to travel half way around the world back to my country to get a replacement. 

@tunaburn said:
" @Killjoi said:
" This law is stupid. I still don't understand how they are going to make this work with the 4th amendment. In the words of Jon Stewart: It's a loophole so big, you could drive a truck full of immigrants through it.   It's also asking too much of the legal immigrants. It requires us to carry our documents on us at all time, ready to be presented when asked. My I-20 and Passport are too valuable to be with me everywhere I go. If I lose either of those, I'd have to immediately go back to my country. That is going to require thousands of dollars on travel and at least 3-4 weeks of paperwork. I'm so glad I didn't take that offer from ASU. "
thats how it works in every other country. "
No, it doesn't. Not every country is mandating laws that promote racial profiling. The only other country in the world that faces a similar number of illegal immigrants is India and they don't require immigrants to produce proof of their legal status without unlawful behavior. 
tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tunaburn
@Killjoi:  oh you lie! i was born in germany. i recently went back with my family on a trip. i was stopped nearly every single day there and asked to see my passport! dont feed me these stupid lines of america is racist. if they just want to work and they love america so bad why do they do things like this?  it can go both ways. i live in a very very hispanic community. i hear all the racist things they say about us "gringos" ive been called racist nearly every day here because i support the bill.  i have exactly 1 white friend and everyone else i hang out with is hispanic. im taking spanish lessons right now. im jewish. im far from racist but automatically if i support this im racist. but go ahead and call me gringo and tear down american flags cuz america is so bad. THEN GET OUT!
Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bionicicide
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @Bionicicide said:
"and of course making visas/greencards easier; especially for those from 1st world countries and with graduates. "
Yeah, god forbid we let poor people into the United States. "
Didn't say that.
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By spacetrucking
@tunaburn said:

" @Killjoi:  oh you lie! i was born in germany. i recently went back with my family on a trip. i was stopped nearly every single day there and asked to see my passport! dont feed me these stupid lines of america is racist. if they just want to work and they love america so bad why do they do things like this?  it can go both ways. i live in a very very hispanic community. i hear all the racist things they say about us "gringos" ive been called racist nearly every day here because i support the bill.  i have exactly 1 white friend and everyone else i hang out with is hispanic. im taking spanish lessons right now. im jewish. im far from racist but automatically if i support this im racist. but go ahead and call me gringo and tear down american flags cuz america is so bad. THEN GET OUT! "

When did I say that America is racist ? And I don't know how the Hispanic community feels about this since I'm not one of them.       

Also, when, where and why were you asked for your passport ? Where you crossing a border, entering a facility or doing anything which would normally require the authorities to check your identity ? The Arizona law is different to all of these.
tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tunaburn
@Killjoi said:

" No, it doesn't. Not every country is mandating laws that promote racial profiling. The only other country in the world that faces a similar number of illegal immigrants is India and they don't require immigrants to produce proof of their legal status without unlawful behavior.  " 

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tunaburn
@Killjoi:
"No, it doesn't. Not every country is mandating laws that promote racial profiling. The only other country in the world that faces a similar number of illegal immigrants is India and they don't require immigrants to produce proof of their legal status without unlawful behavior. "

sure sounds like youre accusing america of being racist. try going somewhere else without carrying your passport on you. see what happens there. will they send you back home with a mean and a good nights sleep?
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JakJ
@CRAzYKiLL3R93 said:
" @Impossibilium said:

" @CRAzYKiLL3R93 said:

Yes I do know, because I've been through several stages and categories of immigration.   Why does that make any difference? If you want to work in the US you can get visa permission to live and work in the country temporarily in under six months. After that it's up to you and your employer if you want to stay. If both sides want the same thing then it's just paperwork and patience. "
Listen, we cant stop the problem by getting the illegal immigrants to change their views. These are extremely desperate people. But again they put caps on the amount of immigrants. And since a clear majority of immigrants coming into the US are mexican, its a lot harder for them to get the papers.  Better enforcement and protection will solve the problem. Clamp down on businesses who hire illegal workers and build better border defenses. Now again because of party politics none of this will happen. Now seems an odd time to clamp down on illegal immigration though. Immigration is WAY down due to the recession.   "
Nice to hear you share my views. Whenever I mention that it's the employers, not the people, who should be punished since it's the employers that essentially invite the illegals in, people treat me like I'm crazy. For some reason a person who employees another person is treated like a God in the US. Corporations have the same rights as people here after all.

It's sad that the most logical arguments in this debate involving my country come from those outside of my country. Maybe I should immigrate to the UK. I'm white, super-educated, and literate in (a version of) English. We cool?
JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JiuJitsuka85

If nobody would hire illegals, then the illegals would know that in the US there would be 0 work for them.
The chances of them going through all that trouble for NO work are slim. Thus indeed start working on the public mindset and let them know ( and feel ) how wrong it is to hire illigals.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By spacetrucking
@tunaburn said:

" @Killjoi: "No, it doesn't. Not every country is mandating laws that promote racial profiling. The only other country in the world that faces a similar number of illegal immigrants is India and they don't require immigrants to produce proof of their legal status without unlawful behavior. "  sure sounds like youre accusing america of being racist. try going somewhere else without carrying your passport on you. see what happens there. will they send you back home with a mean and a good nights sleep? "

I'm accusing this Arizona-specific law of promoting racial profiling. It doesn't make the entire country racist. And I do travel within the US and I don't need to carry my passport with me. My driving license and state id are enough proof of my identity. I rarely need to use my passport.
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JakJ
@BiffMcBlumpkin:  Jesus Biff. Somehow you can put anything into perspective.

How much do you want for your brain?
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who has to worry about some stupid Arizona law when you have a Gringo Mask

No Caption Provided
lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lazyturtle
@CRAzYKiLL3R93 : Actually thats not the nesicarily the case. The immigrants arrive from Mexico, but come from all over central and south America. 

@Bionicicide: I agree with you 100% about nailing employees who hire illegals, but why should they get a benefit for complying with the law?    That would like saying I deserve a tax credit for not getting any speeding tickets in a year. Enforcement has a cost and you're never going to be able to get money from someone who is illegally working as a fruit picker. The money for this enforcement has to come from taxes and to a lesser extent fining non-compliant employers.

The main problem I see with the law is the ambiguity. If..for example..the police's 'reasonable suspicion' is limited to people of Hispanic descent it would be racist. There are plenty of Americans (both natural born and legal immigrants) of Hispanic descent. The law would unfairly impose upon those people. There are too many laws that might allow a police officer to justify what might give a officer reason to have lawful contact with you..it brings a Simpsons episode to mind where Homer gets arrested for illegally transporting waste after kicking a can 5 times. 

I do think it would be fair to have a 100% check when you interact with a police officer...but how would that work? I don't carry any documents that prove my citizenship status. S hould I bring my passport or birth certificate when I'm in Arizona? Of course not...I'm white.

What surprises me the most is the fact that conservatives like this law. It basically gives the government a little more 'big brother' type power. When you think objectively about it, a police officer could detain you for quite some time while he attempted to locate information about your legal status.  Lets say you pissed the cop off...he could legitimately arrest you after finding you don't have anything to prove your immigration status.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lazyturtle
@DCFGS3 said:
" While I think that Arizona's solution probably isn't the most effective, I do support it. What I have issue with is people from New York and Washington calling out against it, and saying how aweful it is. You don't have a clue what you're talking about. You don't live in areas affected by illegal immigration, how the fuck would you know how bad the problem is? On a side issue, I actually support racial profiling. "
So its ok for the police to assume that all middle easterners are terrorists, all Hispanics are illegal immigrants, all blacks are drug dealers/gang members?  

I don't know why you would think that either New York or Washington don't have a problem with illegal immigrants. Washington state has a lot of agriculture..and those fruits don't get picked by Americans. NY has a similar situation..in addition to having one of the largest cities in the USA. I live in Hawaii...we have a lot of illegal immigrants too...mostly in the agriculture and hospitality industries.
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By cstrang

The only reason I don't support the law is because it will inevitably lead to accepted racial profiling by police officers. 

I am an immigrant myself.  I had to wait in line, get shots and physicals, sign papers, and wait in more lines, but I got my cards and citizenship and I did it legally.  If I can do it, so can they.  Something needs to happen with immigration law, but this isn't it.