Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) 1 year, 16 days ago

Poll: Is it worth suffering through Grown Ups 2 to watch Pacific Rim? (125 votes)

Yes 33%
No 67%

Local drive in is showing Grown Ups 2 and Pacific Rim this weekend and I was wondering if anyone who has seen PR would say it's worth suffering through GU2 to see it? I assume GU2 is as terrible as the first one, but maybe it got better? I have been avoiding looking into PR and just know it's a movie I want to watch eventually, but since the drive in cycles in and out different movies each weekend this will be my only chance to go see it until it comes out on DVD.

#1 Edited by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

Why go to the theater to watch a movie you don't like? Save up for something you actually like!

#2 Posted by ottoman673 (484 posts) -

Grown Ups 2 has a resounding 7% on Rotten Tomatoes right now.

Considering the last one garnered 10%, take that as you will.

#3 Posted by Bocam (3674 posts) -

Couldn't you just skip Grown ups 2?

#4 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

if it's a drive in, couldn't you just, like, play with your phone/3ds/vita or something until pacific rim comes on?

#5 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

I would just nap, play a game, or something til Pacific rim starts.

#6 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

Pacific Rim is good and dumb, a hell of a lot better than any Transformers movie; could have been better but still one of the best movies of the summer.

#7 Edited by Monkeyman04 (1011 posts) -

@animasta said:

if it's a drive in, couldn't you just, like, play with your phone/3ds/vita or something until pacific rim comes on?

While you have a sunscreen (is that what they are called? Sunshield?) on the windshield so you don't have to even see it in your peripheral vision.

#8 Posted by falserelic (5333 posts) -

No need to force yourself to watch it, just skip it and wait for pacific rim, so you can see that aswome action....

#9 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -
@tireyo said:

Why go to the theater to watch a movie you don't like? Save up for something you actually like!

As I said in the first couple words of my post it's a drive in not a theater. You have to watch one then the other.

Grown Ups 2 has a resounding 7% on Rotten Tomatoes right now.

Considering the last one garnered 10%, take that as you will.

Joy...

@bocam said:

Couldn't you just skip Grown ups 2?

Not if you want a good spot. You need to get there early to find a good place to park and since the movie plays first you kind of need to sit through it to see the good one.

@animasta said:

Ya that's a good idea. I will just bring my Vita and play that while I wait.

#10 Edited by mrfluke (5099 posts) -

yea just saw pacific rim today was fucking awesome.

i agree with what animasta said, just go on your phone or play a handheld while its going on.

#11 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1011 posts) -

Quick question. Do you have to be in the car to keep the spot? If so you could park your car, put some blow up dolls (or manikins ) dressed up as you in the front seat. Then have a buddy pick you up and drive around\hang out and go back to you car for Pacific Rim. That might be too much work, just go with the Vita thing.

#12 Posted by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

@crusader8463: I've been to a drive-in only once, so I've forgotten how they're run.

#13 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

@monkeyman04: They don't go around checking or anything, so I guess you could. The vita option is much better though. Now I just gotta find where I left that dam thing.

#14 Edited by shivermetimbers (763 posts) -

Paying for a ticket for both movies means you're supporting Grown Ups 2, albeit unwillingly. Can you by any chance go see Pacific Rim at a regular theater?

#15 Posted by natetodamax (19176 posts) -

I'd say do not give a single penny to Grown Ups 2.

#16 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3800 posts) -

Find some hotty and instead of watching Grown Ups just get BIZ-AY

Then when Pacific Rim comes on you're good to go.

#17 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Paying for a ticket for both movies means you're supporting Grown Ups 2, albeit unwillingly.

This is a good point. Even if you manage to solve this problem, the world will still be worse off for your actions.

#18 Posted by Hailinel (23941 posts) -

Just don't do it. Don't give Grown Ups 2 the financial support it doesn't deserve.

#19 Posted by EVO (3870 posts) -

I don't get the hate for Grown Ups, it's not that bad.

#20 Posted by Hunkulese (2652 posts) -

Go to a regular theater.

#21 Posted by Milkman (16540 posts) -

Grown Ups 2 looks like a holocaust of comedy. I can't imagine Pacific Rim being good enough to sit through that. Can't you just go to a normal theater?

#22 Edited by Wolfgame (695 posts) -
#23 Edited by Barrock (3525 posts) -

One of the last movies I saw at a drive in was Ang Lee's The Hulk. It was a very dark film and was hard to see on the screen. Would Pacific Rim be similar?

#24 Edited by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

If you go you're supporting a terrible movie. If you don't go your local drive-in will go out of business. Choose.

#25 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

@milkman: @hunkulese: I have a rule of never going to a Theater unless it's both the latest showing they offer and a school night to minimize the chances of kids/teens being in there. Literally every time I have not abided by this rule I have had a terrible experience and the movie was ruined by annoying kids that would never shut up the entire movie. Given that it's summer break I don't go to theaters.

#26 Posted by kerse (2101 posts) -

man 7% on rotten tomatoes? Is it at least so bad that it becomes funny?

#27 Edited by Sploder (917 posts) -

Yeah do it

#28 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -
#29 Edited by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

What's so special about this movie whose poster reminds me of Transformers and G.I. Joe?

#30 Posted by Cirdain (2996 posts) -
#31 Posted by Karkarov (3000 posts) -

What's so special about this movie whose poster reminds me of Transformers and G.I. Joe?

Unlike transformers and GI Joe it doesn't suck? The action is awesome, there is some actual character development, the special effects are ridiculously good, the acting is pretty solid considering this is a summer action movie, it has Idris Elba, he makes speeches and stuff. Unlike the other two movies Hideo Kojima likes it?

Basically take Evangelion and remove all the emo crap and BS ending, add in a dash of the schlocky but good parts of Robot Jocks, and steal transformers special effects.... you end up with something sort of close to Pacific Rim.

#32 Posted by joey (980 posts) -

There's more posters

#33 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

There needs to be a worldwide boycott on Adam Sandler. Man just needs to stop. Please just stop.

#34 Edited by Box3ru13 (702 posts) -

Giving any amount of money to Grown Ups 2 is a goddamn travesty. People who willingly give money for that money are literally everything that is wrong with this country.

That being said, giving money to Pacific Rim is pretty fucking awesome, so you just might come out ahead on the Karma aspects. But still, goddamn, fuck all non-90s Adam Sandler movies.

#35 Edited by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

@joey: Those posters are friggin awesome. Sucks that we only ever get that transformers looking crap here in North America. If you could get those posters with the movie logo removed I would get them framed on my wall.

And of course my vehicle broke yesterday so I'm not going to be able to go anywhere any time soon. :(

#36 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5260 posts) -

I would suffer through the worst adam sandler movie to see Pacific Rim. Just occupy your time with something else until the real event starts.

It makes me so sad knowing that Grown Ups 2 will probably do leagues better financially than Pacific Rim.

#37 Edited by Geralt (316 posts) -

Oh...I get it. The point is not about the "sit through" part but the "give money to Grown Ups 2" part.

In that case, I'd say don't do it.

#38 Edited by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

The nice thing about a drive through is you can bring friends and talk without being a bother to others. So just bring some friends along, talk about shit, maybe drink a beer or two (you'll be clear by the end of pacific rim) and make fun of grown ups 2 while it's on.

#39 Edited by ripelivejam (3571 posts) -
#40 Posted by sevenLiter (110 posts) -

Do drive-ins still have crappy door mounted speakers? I'd rather experience PR in a theater with good sound, myself.

#41 Posted by Zaccheus (1788 posts) -

Don't do it man, don't do it.

#42 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10525 posts) -

Don't go to a drive-in theater. Half the experience is the SOUND, and crappy drive-in theater sound can't come close to a proper theater's sound system.