Is "pretentious" a bad word?

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Moeez

Isn't all fiction "pretentious"? Any work that you put out there to the PUBLIC, aren't you laying claim to some importance? You think it deserves to be seen by other people. That's you judging your own work to be worthy of an audience.

I don't see any film being critiqued as being pretentious as a negative; it's just lazy on the critic's part. I love loads of so-called "pretentious" movies, with reason.

It's like saying a video-game is "repetitive". No shit, Sherlock. You think you're going to be performing a thousand types of game-play in a single game?!

I don't know, I just never really understood what people meant by the word "pretentious". Enlighten me.

The thought came to me after watching Todd Solonz's films.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By trophyhunter

well when most people use the word  "pretentious" what they really mean is "your an asshole that think they are better than everyone else"

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By Icemael

A pretentious movie or video game is one that tries to appear clever, deep and important, when in reality, it isn't. 

@Moeez said:

"It's like saying a video-game is "repetitive". No shit, Sherlock. You think you're going to be performing a thousand types of game-play in a single game?!"
It's true that all games are, to an extent, repetitive, but the thing is, when people talk about repetitiveness in video games, they aren't actually talking about repetitiveness; they're talking about the feeling of repetitiveness.
qwicksilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By qwicksilver
  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pretentious  

Like all art criticism whether one does or doesn't view a specific piece as pretentious is up to the viewer/reader/listener.  Something is pretentious if you think it is overtly trying to be more intelligent, deep, or meaningful than it actually is.  An artist is pretentious if they consciously try to include things which will make them seem intelligent or deep.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By EpicSteve
@trophyhunter said:
" well when most people use the word  "pretentious" what they really mean is "your an asshole that think they are better than everyone else" "
This. Usually when that word is used, it's typically negative. 
DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By DCFGS3

No, because a normal person puts there work out there either asking "Am I good?" or just to entertain whoever find it entertaining and doesn't really care about critics or whether or not people consider it 'good' or not.

However a pretentious person puts their work out there saying "I'm the greatest" without recieveing any actual feedback, and really does it to just fuel their ego. This is why a lot of people regarded Avatar skeptically, because Cameron was being pretentious in talking about how great the film was before it was released. It is still a very pretentious film (it's dances with wolves with blue people and bits of Alien), but nevertheless an enjoyable and, granted, a good film. Pretentious is just when people assume because they've made it, it's good. I guess it's similiar to arrogance in that way.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By cap123

well to me, being prententious is assuming a level of importance and brilliance, rather than earning it or putting it up for judgement. A film might deal with high brow themes and issues without really adressing them, it has nothing new to say, the auteur is just in the business of being highbrow. You can be in the business of making people feel intellingent by going to see your movies, rather than making an intelligent movie for people to think about.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mutha3
@Moeez: 

How is showing something of to the public, being pretentious?  Unless you describe your work as  being an achievement  of the greatest mind of the 21st century: Your not really being pretentious.

The word pretentious is used to describe unwarranted self-importance. You should check a dictionary before making a thread.
  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pretentious

.....And repetitiveness is meant to indicate that the game does not have enough variety in its goals, or the same task your repeating just isn't fun enough to warrant its length. Both don't seem that hard to figure out when given proper context, unless your autistic or something.
dulmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dulmonkey

my example would be Braid. that game was super pretentious. More so if you ever listened to the creator talk about it.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HypoXenophobia

This thread for some reason reminds me of the preface to Dorian Gray. 

What qwicksilver said reminds me of the interview 1up did with Team Ico last year about Shadow of The Colossus and the conversation went along the route of we created a game first, if you found it to be emotional it was a side effect. And people in the comments kept criticizing that they were blind to the art within their own game. Reverse pretentious perhaps? People seeing more than was actually there.

*Edit
I went to look up the article and the comments I was referring to were from a different site/forum commenting on the article. Slight confusing on my part.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Icemael
@dulmonkey said:
" my example would be Braid. that game was super pretentious. More so if you ever listened to the creator talk about it."
Agreed. Don't get me wrong, Braid is one of the best games I've ever played -- I love the aesthetics, and the puzzles are brilliant -- but my god was the story pretentious.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mutha3
@HypoXenophobia: 

Errr....no?

I don't see how the developers are acting with unwarrranted self-importance by saying they didn't intend for SOTC t.o be artsy They're just being honest,
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@mutha3: 
I think you read it wrong, that's why I suffixed with "Reverse Pretentious" where the users of 1up are more pretentious than the creator. Slight misunderstanding that's all.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Icemael
@mutha3 said:

" @HypoXenophobia:   Errr....no?  I don't see how the developers are acting with unwarrranted self-importance by saying they didn't intend for SOTC t.o be artsy They're just being honest, "

He never said the developers were pretentious; on the contrary, he suggested that the players were "reverse-pretentious", that is to say, they found the games to be emotionally engaging in ways the creators never intended them to be.
SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SonicFire
@dulmonkey said:
" my example would be Braid. that game was super pretentious. More so if you ever listened to the creator talk about it. "
 EXACTLY! I heard Jonathan Blow talk about Braid like he was the messiah of independent game development. Literally, the interviews with that guy kept me from ever wanting to support his game. It was the first time I ever personally boycotted something. After hearing his job description for his next game (the whole "we don't want anyone who's worked on anything with action, violence, sex, or sequels"), I think I made the right call.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mutha3
@HypoXenophobia: 

Oops. Never mind then.

But, that does remind me: if anything annoys me more than shitty pretentious writers/artists its their dumbass fans who gobble up that shit. Also, this is pretty awesome and true(even though destructoid kinda sucks):
 http://www.destructoid.com/the-videogame-show-what-i-ve-done-art-games-163502.phtml
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@mutha3: 
That was a ....weird video.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points