Is time meaningless?

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By alexl86

Or rather, is mankind's tracking of time meaningless?

I've been rolling this question around in my head for most of the last decade. My take on it, a bit narrow-minded one, I'll admit: (I'm not disputing the importance of time itself, but humanity's obsession with it. My arguments is mostly limited to the celebration of birthdays, memorials etc.)

I'm born on February 4th, but why would I really celebrate that day? The date itself doesn't really seem relevant the next year, nothing happened then. I wasn't born the year after, so why celebrate it? The same can be said for most holidays too, what's the point? At this point in history, most holidays are really family gatherings, plus a little religious boost, but does it really concern you what triggered the holiday even and does it really matter that it happened that day? I'm not saying we should dismiss it, but as long as we remember it, why do we care if it's on that exact day?

The flaw in argument is clear, even to me. Most humans keep time so that we know how much we have to spare, time we spend with our families. We then use calendars and holidays to make sure as many family members are reunited as possible, which I'll admit is the strength of it all, but for some reason the premise seems a little fake to me. I'd rather have a gathering on a completely random day, when no one felt obliged to come for other reasons...

Anyone else feel the same way? I know my argument is flawed, but I'm sticking by it.

Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Steven

Well time is actually a real thing, it's not just a human construction.  That was really Einstein's genius, in figuring out that time isn't constant, but variable.  Time is actually dimension of the universe.  We live in three dimensions of space, and one of time.

I do agree with the celebrating certain days deal, but it's just a convenient marker to recognize something important.  I never really understood birthdays, but celebrating a relationship anniversary is just a recognition of how special that day was.

Also "I know my argument is flawed, but I'm sticking by it."  I don't believe that's exactly what you meant, but if so then that's an awful sentiment to have.  If you present an argument which is shown to be fallacious, you must either alter your argument or leave it behind.  Perhaps "My argument is probably flawed, but I'm sticking to it until I'm shown the flaw."

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By keyhunter

It's time to die.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar

By that same logic you can say the world stock market is  meaningless its all a bunch of numbers that we as human beings give meaning to .

Hell just go entire nihilism and say life itself is meaningless except for what we give to it.

Centurion11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By Centurion11

Well time is real. I think that time does matter, becuase if we did not have time then we would have no sense of direction so to say. We need time to guide us in our lives.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By KnifeySpoony

Yeah, the OP is really hitting on nihilism. In the truest sense, nothing is that meaningful in the context of the universe. We are just events in time  that aren't in the world for very long.
Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nick

Time would only be meaningless if there were too much of it.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8  Edited By Black_Rose
Nick said:
Time would only be meaningless if there were too much of it.
This is a fucking great quote
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9  Edited By Black_Rose

Also, on topic. You could argue that pretty much everything is meaningless, you're going to die anyway and in a few billion years when the earth gets destroyed by whatever event that might happen there will be no way to prove that there were once beings known as humans and thus our whole existance is pretty much meaningless.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By alexl86

Oh, if most of you actually read what I wrote...

No, time itself isn't meaningless, as I stated twice just to clearify. Time is not a human construction. If I wasn't very coherent, I was pretty tired and hadn't slept in a while(plus I have a fever), but I'll try to amend it now.

I have nothing against time itself, it's a universal fact. This is not a nihilistic view, I'm not arguing that everything is meaningless. I'm not arguing that important events are meaningless. I'm not even arguing that the numbers on wall street are spewing out every day as they are quite important to the status quo, or imminent future.

My argument is solely focused on how humans are bound to cycle of meaningless celebration. Time moves in a line, yet we celebrate it as if it was cyclical. Each year, we celebrate the same tired events, based on something that happened years ago, even centuries, as if that event holds any particular significance to you or your family. It didn't happen that day, the event just coincided with the calendar date.

As I said, the only real flaw in the argument is that families have a common time when they all can get off from work/school and spend time together, but a flaw doesn't necessarily make for a bad discussion and I've acknowledged the flaw.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gmanall
alexl86 said:
Oh, if most of you actually read what I wrote...No, time itself isn't meaningless, as I stated twice just to ... [more]
  Well you make it sound so boring to celebrate things. You are right, it is silly in a manner of time but we don't celebrate just because logic says we have to. We as humans like to feel special and to make a day out of a year just for you scratch's that ego nerve. And other events come down to being a reason to celebrate and have fun.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Suicrat

Time is measured by the ocurrence of events, so yes, as entropy continues to set into the objects and organisms around us, we realize "there's no going back", but annae are not arbitrary. On February 4, every year, the earth is more or less in the same place in the solar system that it was the previous year (give or take a few thousand kilometres), so when you're celebrating your birthday, you're not so much celebrating a point in time to which you'll never return, you're celebrating a place in the universe: where the planet was in its rotation around our sun.

Having said all that, I realize no one else but me looks at anniversaries that way.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The point of celebrating certain times is for fun. We can't go out and have a party every single day, so we pick points in time, birthdays, christmas etc. to go and have a good knees-up. It makes more sense than just picking a random day.

Celebrations are a vital part of humanity. We need to let our hair down and have fun at some point. Having these celebrations at specific points in time just make sense, so people remember them. When these specific points are is down to the way out social interactions have formed since the very first humans evolved. It doesn't really matter when we have these things, but since we have a system that works, why change it?

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By alexl86

Again, not against celebration. I think it's great that we celebrate things the first time around, but what's the point the second time? We learn history in school, why burden us with celebrating the past over and over when there's no connection? Why not celebrate new things?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By toowalrus

It's time to kick ass and chew bubble-gum... and I'm all out of gum.

Avatar image for deactivated-65d51c2303ca6
deactivated-65d51c2303ca6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The funny thing about time is that, it exists, but the boundaries by which we determine it's volume are completely arbitrary. What is 1 P.M.? As usual with mankind, we have to know and control everything. We couldn't leave time, we have to make a list of attributes and restrictions and say "this is what you are". As for celebrations and birthdays, I think they are a needed part of civilization. It isn't so much a celebration of the date (the date means nothing, simply a word stamped upon that day by man) but a celebration of the event. 

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Suicrat
alexl86 said:
Again, not against celebration. I think it's great that we celebrate things the first time around, but what's the point ... [more]
Don't we? Don't we lavish Apple with hundreds of millions of dollars for creating the iPhone? Don't we have wedding parties and baby showers?

Don't we all run out to see our favourite movie the day it comes out and relish in the newness of that experience?

And how is celebration a burden? And if you don't feel a connection to the monumental occasion that was your own birth... are you sure you're still alive?
angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By angelkanarias

What I find stupid is that some people become really offended if you don't give them presents in those dates. I mostly never remember those dates, and I end up knowing by somebody else. 

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By alexl86
Suicrat said:
alexl86 said: Again, not against celebration. I think it's great that we celebrate things the first time around, but what's ... [more]
You are right about weddings and baby showers, but the rest of the stuff you mentioned. You don't celebrated a movie by enjoying it when you see it. You don't celebrate Apple by buying their product. It's not a celebration. Find something else, something genuine to celebrate... actually, go ahead and celebrate a movie if you want to.

I didn't say there wasn't a connection, I just said that next year's date wasn't relevant. I don't really feel all that different from the day before or the day after, for the matter. It's a pointless celebration, it's already been celebrated, and far more times than is necessary.
MarcusOfLycia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MarcusOfLycia

"We learn history in school, why burden us with celebrating the past over and over when there's no connection?"

People don't seem to remember their history. Celebrations are a great way of keeping it fresh, and postponing the inevitable of history repeating itself. Democracies follow cycles... and the closer we get to tyranny, the more we need celebrations to remind us of the days we fought for freedom instead of government provision.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By TheKidNixon

Sounds like someone doesn't want to buy his mate a present...

The celebration of birthday, anniversaries, holidays, etc. has less to do with the actual passing of time than it does for human's inevitable need to feel "wanted." We all have certain needs, and some of those needs are emotional and, yes, material. We have an innate desire to be remembered and honored in some way or another. Its the same reason we have funerals. Its part of the mourning process to sit back and reflect on the time that we had with someone.

Everything we do that doesn't constitute eating, sleeping or making waste is a momentary distraction from the inevitability of our own passing into oblivion/the great beyond/the great taco stand in the sky. But sometimes, we need particular times set aside for special distractions and remembrances. It reminds us that we're human and yes, facilitates those needs of companionship and love. By celebrating these fellowships we have together, we are able to strengthen those bonds and make the ongoing finiteness of our existence that much more bearable.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Suicrat

What is your definition of celebrate?

Mine is a gathering to enjoy a thing, and then to give that thing something of value. If you bought an iPhone with money, you celebrated Apple's ability to produce it, whether you think you did or not.

Also, considering how much unhappiness there is in the world, I would argue that any celebration (that doesn't involve the death or harm of someone) has meaning, and is not at all pointless.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By thedj93
alexl86 said:
Again, not against celebration. I think it's great that we celebrate things the first time around, but what's the point ... [more]
...lest we forget
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By StaticFalconar
alexl86 said:
You may have just missed the point of history then.