It was 45 years ago today...

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By peacebrother

One of the greatest albums ever written, and probably the Beatles greatest.

Released June 1, 1967, Sgt Pepper was one of the first albums you could consider "progressive rock", and one of the earliest examples of psychedelic rock. From top to bottom, it's superb, even Ringo's track is amazing! The highlight for me is Harrison's "Within You, Without You", which must have just blown the minds of an unsuspecting pop public back in 1967, hearing a sitar blaring through their speakers.

I could keep talking about each track, but I'd be saying the same thing about all of them. If you've never heard it before, the whole album is in the video above. If you have heard it, listen to it again!

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By doobie

paul is dead

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@doobie said:

paul is dead

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By crusader8463

I never was a huge Beatles fan myself. I enjoyed a few of their songs, but most of them didn't really do anything for me.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Draugen

Maxwell's Silver Hammer!

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

One of the greatest albums from one of the greatest bands. I'll never get tired of listening to The Beatles.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By szlifier
@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@doobie said:

paul is dead

miss him, miss him, miss him...
matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By matthias2437

I know I am very far in the minority but I could not care less about The Beatles. Their music IN MY OPINION is not that good. But I guess that's cool.... 45 years ago they released an album, just like probably 50 other bands did that day.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By theoldhouse

Love the Beatles but really don't like that album.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Arker101

Great Album. Billy Shears is Pauls replacement.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Patman99

If Paul really died, then his replacement has made some of my favourite music of all time. The Beatles are great but their later albums are truly master works.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Szlifier said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@doobie said:

paul is dead

miss him, miss him, miss him...

(unrelated) Revolution 9 backwards is the scariest shit ever.

Also, Im So Tired is and Julia > Everything Else.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By sweep  Moderator

You guys actually scared the shit out of me with this "paul is dead" nonsense. I mean, I don't even like the guy, but I have a begrudging respect for the fact that he used to hang out with George, Ringo and John.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic

...And you just gave me a reason to listen to the Beatles for the rest of the evening!

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By peacebrother

@Patman99 said:

If Paul really died, then his replacement has made some of my favourite music of all time. The Beatles are great but their later albums are truly master works.

Their first 5 albums are good pop-rock, which I can respect, especially for the time where it was just a phenomenon. But from Rubber Soul onwards it's a non-stop train of incredible, revolutionary music. Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album, and Abbey Road are all monumental works. I haven't spent enough time listening to Let It Be to put it in there just yet.

For anyone who isn't into the Beatles, if you've only really had experience with their early works, with songs like Help!, Love Me Do, Hard Days Night, Eight Days A Week etc..., or even just Abbey Road, you have to listen to Revolver/Sgt. Pepper/MMT. It was those three albums that convinced me of how amazing they were.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Never could see the appeal but great for Beatles fans.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mercutio123

@Melvargh: I raise you Rubber Soul!!!

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By peacebrother

@mercutio123 said:

I respect your raising of Rubber Soul. I can't possibly truly decide which album is my favourite. Which ever was the last one I listened to is usually near the top.

Rubber Soul is in this interesting spot after the old skiffle/pop-rock Beatles, but before the psychedelic experimental Beatles. Very cool sound. Their songwriting hit the next level with RS.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By killacam

@Melvargh said:

@Patman99 said:

from Rubber Soul onwards it's a non-stop train of incredible music. Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, and Abbey Road are all monumental works.

let it be has some of their greatest songs on it, but it's not nearly as solid as any of these albums.

PenguinDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PenguinDoctor

LSD is a hell of a drug.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Welp, time to go watch A Hard Day's Night again.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Marcsman

Nope.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Maajin

My parents used to listen to The Beatles all the time, but they only listened to their early stuff. And I couldn't care less for those happy, catchy songs.

It was The Beatles Rock Band that introduced me to their more mature stuff, and then I was blown away.

Neocarbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Neocarbon

My heart melted and now my keyboard is unusable because there's blood all over it. That was positive :P!

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cookiemonster

Its a very unique listening experience, definitely. Day in the Life is my favourite, easily. I find it amazing how they can just splice two very different songs together, and its one of the few Paul songs I can bear.

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tooPrime

@Melvargh said:

@mercutio123 said:

I respect your raising of Rubber Soul. I can't possibly truly decide which album is my favourite. Which ever was the last one I listened to is usually near the top.

Rubber Soul is in this interesting spot after the old skiffle/pop-rock Beatles, but before the psychedelic experimental Beatles. Very cool sound. Their songwriting hit the next level with RS.

Rubber Soul is the most consistant album. The middle of Sergent Pepper has some mediocre songs and Rubber Soul being the tweener ablum allows for Paul to write pop songs and Lennon to write more thoughtful songs yet they fit together rather than clash.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShaggE

@Melvargh said:

@Patman99 said:

Their first 5 albums are good pop-rock, which I can respect, especially for the time where it was just a phenomenon. But from Rubber Soul onwards it's a non-stop train of incredible, revolutionary music. Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, and Abbey Road are all monumental works. I haven't spent enough time listening to Let It Be to put it in there just yet.

For anyone who isn't into the Beatles, if you've only really had experience with their early works, with songs like Help!, Love Me Do, Hard Days Night, Eight Days A Week etc..., or even just Abbey Road, you have to listen to Revolver/Sgt. Pepper/MMT. It was those three albums that convinced me of how amazing they were.

Seconded. A few years ago I blew my mom's mind by introducing her to the later Beatles. She had only ever known their radio singles, and passed them off as a very good yet bland pop band who also did a couple of weird songs about walruses and submarines. I think it was the White Album that converted her (and myself, when I was a teen).

Also, plus one on the Let It Be love. Dig A Pony, Don't Let Me Down, and I Me Mine are three of my all-time favorite Beatles songs.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#28  Edited By Little_Socrates

No, sir, the line is twenty years ago today.

I only insist because today happens to be my twentieth birthday.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By peacebrother

@tooPrime said:

@Melvargh said:

@mercutio123 said:

Rubber Soul is the most consistant album. The middle of Sergent Pepper has some mediocre songs and Rubber Soul being the tweener ablum alows for Paul to write pop songs and Lennon to write more thoughtful songs yet they fit together rather than clash.

I like the way you put Rubber Soul, how Paul and John were able to do what they wanted and still mesh.

But as for Sgt Pepper; She's Leaving Home, Mr. Kite, and Within You Without You are smack in the middle and are some of my favourite songs. I'd agree partially on When I'm 64 and Lovely Rita. I love those two tracks, but could see why you'd say that.

To each their own, eh?

@ShaggE said:

@Melvargh said:

@Patman99 said:

Their first 5 albums are good pop-rock, which I can respect, especially for the time where it was just a phenomenon. But from Rubber Soul onwards it's a non-stop train of incredible, revolutionary music. Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, and Abbey Road are all monumental works. I haven't spent enough time listening to Let It Be to put it in there just yet.

Seconded. A few years ago I blew my mom's mind by introducing her to the later Beatles. She had only ever known their radio singles, and passed them off as a very good yet bland pop band who also did a couple of weird songs about walruses and submarines. I think it was the White Album that converted her (and myself, when I was a teen).

Also, plus one on the Let It Be love. Dig A Pony, Don't Let Me Down, and I Me Mine are three of my all-time favorite Beatles songs.

Holy crap, I forgot the White Album in there. Gotta edit that, haha.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

God I hate that album, abbey road any day.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mikey87144

Love that album.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Grixxel

They were a hip-hop group right? I loved that "JUMP JUMP" song,  it's so awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

White Album for me.

averagegreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By averagegreg

@crusader8463 said:

I never was a huge Beatles fan myself. I enjoyed a few of their songs, but most of them didn't really do anything for me.

My thoughts exactly, I appreciate their influence on music and enjoy some of their stuff but otherwise I'm not a fan.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gizmo

Sick and tired of The Beatles, personally. I can appreciate how they moved rock away from blues-rock, though. I guess that was pretty huge for the development of rock.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NicksCorner

Thanks for the heads up. I never actually listened to the whole album. Not too shabby, but I must confess I enjoyed the "popular" tracks the most.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sgt. Pepper was a great album. It's not my favorite album of theirs, but it has some great songs. This is a good reasons to load The Beatles: RB up again, though.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MrKlorox

I heard LSD makes you eat people's faces.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By Master_Funk

Though I think Revolver and Abbey Road are better albums, I won't deny this was the peak of their creativity. A day in the life is a fucking amazing song.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Patman99

@ShaggE said:

@Melvargh said:

@Patman99 said:

Abbey Road is as close as an album can get to perfection. I can literally listen to the album the whole way through and never want to skip songs. The way they all slowly fade into the next is great and it makes it seem like the album is just one really big song.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HaltIamReptar

I hope next year you create a thread called "It was 46 years ago today..."

knetic2341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By knetic2341

I shall listen to this on my way to work.

I buried Paul.