I've been watching a lot of Mel Brooks movies recently

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Edited By moelarrycurly

Within the past week, I have watched a ton of movies by Mel Brooks, and I would like to say that every last one of them has been enjoyable.  Of course, I have seen plenty of them before, but not like recently.  My personal favorite is still Blazing Saddles, but Spaceballs takes a close second.  Damn, Young Frankenstein is good too... ARGH!! I can't choose I guess. 

Blazing Saddles, anyone?
      Blazing Saddles, anyone?

OK, so this week I've seen: 
-History of the World: Part I 
-High Anxiety 
-To Be or Not To Be 
-Silent Movie 
-The Twelve Chairs 

All of these are fantastic movies, but I think History of the World: Part I was the best, simply because of its sheer insanity.  It's absolutely all over the place, making fun of 2001: A Space Odyssey, as well as the the Roman Empire, Da Vinci's The Last Supper, and the Spanish Inquisition.  Brooks totally turns history itself on its head, making for one of the best films I've seen in a while.  Sure it's stupid, but I love it just the same. 

High Anxiety was a lot of fun because of all the direct correlations to Hitchcock films, with scenes torn straight from Vertigo, Psycho, and The Birds.  It's all absolutely silly, and it still blows my mind.  I've seen this movie before, but it has been a long, long time.         

To Be or Not To Be stands out from the other movies because it has much darker theme, involving the Nazi invasion of Poland.  It's a solid movie, but it's not as outrageously funny as some of Brooks' other films.  The main draw is the impersonations Brooks pulls off throughout the movie, because he is supposed to be a famous Polish actor.  Anyone impersonating Hitler is usually a good time, and this movie is no different.  If you liked Inglourious Basterds, this is another interesting take on that era for you. 

Silent Movie is pretty damn weird, mainly because it's a silent movie about a director trying to make a silent movie!  Most of the gags in this are intentionally goofy and antiquated in order to better channel the feeling of old silent movies.  It's a fun time to be sure, but the beginning can definitely make you uneasy when there is absolutely NOTHING to hear for over a minute, not even music.  This is a great comedy throwback, if you're into that kind of thing. 

And then we have The Twelve Chairs.  This is an interesting film indeed, set in Russia in 1927 and is about a several men trying to find jewels in a particular set of dining chairs. Of course, the chairs have legs of their own, traveling all over the place by means outside of the characters control.  It can be very crazy at times, with chase scenes having the music and picture set up in order to purposefully make things feel more frantic.  It's great stuff. 

Don't worry, I have already seen The Producers and Robin Hood: Men in Tights.  I think I just may go watch the latter now. 

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By moelarrycurly

Within the past week, I have watched a ton of movies by Mel Brooks, and I would like to say that every last one of them has been enjoyable.  Of course, I have seen plenty of them before, but not like recently.  My personal favorite is still Blazing Saddles, but Spaceballs takes a close second.  Damn, Young Frankenstein is good too... ARGH!! I can't choose I guess. 

Blazing Saddles, anyone?
      Blazing Saddles, anyone?

OK, so this week I've seen: 
-History of the World: Part I 
-High Anxiety 
-To Be or Not To Be 
-Silent Movie 
-The Twelve Chairs 

All of these are fantastic movies, but I think History of the World: Part I was the best, simply because of its sheer insanity.  It's absolutely all over the place, making fun of 2001: A Space Odyssey, as well as the the Roman Empire, Da Vinci's The Last Supper, and the Spanish Inquisition.  Brooks totally turns history itself on its head, making for one of the best films I've seen in a while.  Sure it's stupid, but I love it just the same. 

High Anxiety was a lot of fun because of all the direct correlations to Hitchcock films, with scenes torn straight from Vertigo, Psycho, and The Birds.  It's all absolutely silly, and it still blows my mind.  I've seen this movie before, but it has been a long, long time.         

To Be or Not To Be stands out from the other movies because it has much darker theme, involving the Nazi invasion of Poland.  It's a solid movie, but it's not as outrageously funny as some of Brooks' other films.  The main draw is the impersonations Brooks pulls off throughout the movie, because he is supposed to be a famous Polish actor.  Anyone impersonating Hitler is usually a good time, and this movie is no different.  If you liked Inglourious Basterds, this is another interesting take on that era for you. 

Silent Movie is pretty damn weird, mainly because it's a silent movie about a director trying to make a silent movie!  Most of the gags in this are intentionally goofy and antiquated in order to better channel the feeling of old silent movies.  It's a fun time to be sure, but the beginning can definitely make you uneasy when there is absolutely NOTHING to hear for over a minute, not even music.  This is a great comedy throwback, if you're into that kind of thing. 

And then we have The Twelve Chairs.  This is an interesting film indeed, set in Russia in 1927 and is about a several men trying to find jewels in a particular set of dining chairs. Of course, the chairs have legs of their own, traveling all over the place by means outside of the characters control.  It can be very crazy at times, with chase scenes having the music and picture set up in order to purposefully make things feel more frantic.  It's great stuff. 

Don't worry, I have already seen The Producers and Robin Hood: Men in Tights.  I think I just may go watch the latter now. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Ya know, Mel Brooks has been doing an animated series of Spaceballs sequels lately, and they're surprisingly funny.

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By moelarrycurly

Awesome.  I'll definitely have to look into that.  Thanks!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

I've always enjoyed the films by Mel Brooks. Young Frankenstein was just on cable, and I had to watch it. As much as I liked all of his films, Spaceballs was always my favorite.

Actually, this post makes me want to go on a Monty Python run, weird, or maybe more of a Terry Gilliam run.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Whisperkill

Spaceballs was so good
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Synthballs

The Producers was gold. So was Men in Tights. History if the World: Part 1 was brilliance.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By teptom

I grew up watching Mel Brooks stuff, so his movies have a special place in my heart. Young Frankenstein is still my personal favorite and the original Producers a close second. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By penguindust
Blazing Saddles is among my favorites of all time.  Young Frankenstein and the Producers (original) is right behind it.  The others on your list were good, too.  You should take the time to hunt down the old Carl Reiner-Mel Brooks comedy records.  The 2000 year old man routine is hysterical. EXAMPLE.  

A word to the wise, though.  You can probably skip Life Stinks.  It's not horrible, but it's just not very good.

EDIT: Haha, this post makes me want to watch The Jerk.  It wasn't a Brooks movie, but it was released around the same time as some of the best Mel Brooks movies.  There were a lot of good comedies made in the mid-late 70s.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ch13696
@TooWalrus said:
" Ya know, Mel Brooks has been doing an animated series of Spaceballs sequels lately, and they're surprisingly funny. "
Where can I find them? I would definitely want to watch them. Can I find them on Netflix?
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By toowalrus
@ch13696 said:
" @TooWalrus said:
" Ya know, Mel Brooks has been doing an animated series of Spaceballs sequels lately, and they're surprisingly funny. "
Where can I find them? I would definitely want to watch them. Can I find them on Netflix? "
Sorry no, I know they were available to view whenever on the cable service I had, but they aren't on Netflix. They can't be too tough to find though, they were made just last year.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By GreggD
@TooWalrus said:
" @ch13696 said:
" @TooWalrus said:
Where can I find them? I would definitely want to watch them. Can I find them on Netflix? "
Sorry no, I know they were available to view whenever on the cable service I had, but they aren't on Netflix. They can't be too tough to find though, they were made just last year. "
You can find them on Netflix, just not on instant streaming. Let's be clear about that.
KennyPowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By KennyPowers

I loved Blazing Saddles and History of the World Part I. 

I felt like he mailed it in with Spaceballs, but thats just me