Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Daveydave

Hi all :)

I may have a bit of a dilemma coming up soon and I would like your opinions on the matter.

I currently work in a call center here in the UK. I also have a degree in childhood studies. I took the job at the call center after graduating as

like anyone, I needed the job and the money. Whilst working there I have constantly been applying for position in childcare but had no luck.

Now finally I have an interview to be a nursery worker with a fair bit of responsibility and finally a chance to begin the career I want. BUT its minimum wage

which here in the UK is £6.08. Its alot less money than I earn now, which would mean significantly cutting back on alot of things I can afford currently in my

life.

So what would you chose? Well paid job that is comfortable, or massive pay cut but work in a career I want to do and finally get on the first step of the ladder

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By CptChiken

Only advice i can give is to look at what you would have to give up in order to have this job you want... if you dont think the drop in luxury is worth the job then dont do it.

I hope you have good luck and that you do get that dream job you are after.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jimbo

Minimum wage for a job you have a degree in is taking the piss (you are way overqualified for the job), but it's a buyer's market I suppose. I say take the hit if you think you can survive to a reasonable standard on it. There's more to life than disposable income and you'll be far happier with less bullshit gadgets etc. and a job you love than vice versa. Weigh up the stuff you are going to have to cut down on and how important those things really are to you.

You might have to tighten your belt a little now, but in ten or fifteen years you'll be glad you did. If you're still sat in the call center in ten years time you're going to regret that you didn't at least take a shot at it.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By wefwefasdf

@Jimbo said:

If you're still sat in the call center in ten years time you're going to regret that you didn't at least take a shot at it.

Too true. During a six-month period that I worked at a call center this is what I heard from anyone who had worked there a while. Sadly, they still didn't motivate themselves to make a change.

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By BlinkyTM

First step of the ladder, you can only go up from there. Plus, in the call company there's no chance to rise higher than your current status is there?

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmilingPig
No Caption Provided

gigolo

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wadtomaton

As someone that has worked at a call center for 7 years now...if you can live with the cuts, go for it. Then again I absolutely hate my job. Yours may not be so bad. On a related note, today is my last day at this place and I'll be moving on a a new and better place next week =D (though still support, just a better/higher paying support job).

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aetheldod

Well you studied for that right? You need curiculum having practiced what you studied for ... I hardly doubt that a higher position would open to a call center person than to a person with actual experience in the matter.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Gabriel

Get the fuck out of a call center or study for another degree if your not gonna use your Childhood studies one.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rudyftw

I would just stay where your at unless you know for sure you going to work hard at your career. You don't want to end up being lower than before....

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By amomjc

Anyone can get the call-center job, so think of yourself 10 years from now in that job when your stuff is in a box because they replaced you with some random person who will take a smaller pay. Always shine for the field you took your study in for your degree. Not only did you take the time to get that degree, but not everyone can just send in their resume for it.

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mbdoeden

If it's at all possible I'd consider working both jobs part-time to pay the bills and gain experience in your field. Ask your direct superiors if they'd be willing to work with you about that. I'd imagine the reaction will be positive and if it isn't...I'd reconsider where you are employed.

Either way, best of luck to you friend.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By crusader8463

No one can make that choice but you. Is doing the job you want worth sacrificing the other things in your life that you can afford with the other job? If not, then stay where you are. If so, then get used to living in the poor house.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Contro

@Daveydave:

Working with little kids will enrich your life, you should be brave and do it, fuck the extra money and the monotony of working in a call centre. In times of austerity, concentrate on attaining happiness.

Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mageman

You will not listen to what the internet has to say, you are smarter than that. We all know that you know the answer already, but I can say that if it was me I'd take the bottom position of that job only if I knew for certain that I would be climing up relatively early and that when that would happen the pay would be more than at my previous job.

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Daveydave

@Mageman: I know your right but I always like to see what other people would do. Decisions suck. :)

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mmmslash

You can make a million dollars, but if you're not doing what you love, what's the point?

As long as the cutting back isn't going to be impossible (as in you can still afford to survive without too much struggling), I'd say go for it. I'd rather live fulfilled and broke than rich and miserable.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Still_I_Cry

As long as you don't mind cutting back then go for the childcare job.

Can't imagine why you would want to do that but if that's your dream..

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By avantegardener

I think it might boil down to what age you are and responsibilties you have, personally I think job satisfaction is very important, once you get some more experience in childcare you can hopefully find a job that pays more, but you need to get on the ladder. Cliche I know, but follow your dreams. Now, I wish I could just follow my own damn advice!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Firstly, can you afford to take the pay cut? If you have bills to pay that a minimum wage job won't cover, then obviously don't take it. Some things come first, and ensuring you have a roof over your head and have food and heating obviously come first.

Then look at the nursery job. Is there potential for progression? Are you likely to go onto become a supervisor or manager on a higher wage? If not, will having that job on your CV allow you to go onto higher roles at a different company? How long is this likely to take? Do you want to be on minimum wage for that long? Could you study part time (while still working at your current job) for another qualification that will help you get onto your chosen career path at a higher level? What type of childcare job would you have to get to be at your desired pay rate, and is it possible to get there without starting at the bottom? When the economy improves and there are more jobs, will it be possible to start at a higher level with your current qualifications?

Keep asking yourself questions like this. You'll figure out which is best for you.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#21  Edited By StarvingGamer
  1. Work at nursery
  2. Meet lots of hot, single, businesswoman moms
  3. Impress them with your sexy child rearing skills
  4. ???
  5. Profit
eshchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By eshchan

@MattyFTM said:

Firstly, can you afford to take the pay cut? If you have bills to pay that a minimum wage job won't cover, then obviously don't take it. Some things come first, and ensuring you have a roof over your head and have food and heating obviously come first.

Then look at the nursery job. Is there potential for progression? Are you likely to go onto become a supervisor or manager on a higher wage? If not, will having that job on your CV allow you to go onto higher roles at a different company? How long is this likely to take? Do you want to be on minimum wage for that long? Could you study part time (while still working at your current job) for another qualification that will help you get onto your chosen career path at a higher level? What type of childcare job would you have to get to be at your desired pay rate, and is it possible to get there without starting at the bottom? When the economy improves and there are more jobs, will it be possible to start at a higher level with your current qualifications?

Keep asking yourself questions like this. You'll figure out which is best for you.

Pretty much this, and maybe PM this guy, he seems to be doing opposite of what you are doing.

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Daveydave

@MattyFTM: thank you for your post. It made alot of sense and has made me think alot.

There is potential for progression. 3% of staff in childcare settings are male, and the profession is always in need of men. There is an extension of my degree that I can do whilst working for 3 months that will make my qualification much better, and allow me to go in for jobs on a high wage. However obviously I need the experience first to be accepted on the course. I have worked out my bills and I can manage. It will just mean less games, less going out but in the long run, I am thinking it might be worth it. Unfortunately my degree did not allow me to specialize, and so yes I would need to start at the bottom, even when the economy improves.

It sounds like I am answering you, yet I think its mainly talking to myself. Strange.

Anyway lets get the interview out of the way first. Then we shall see!

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Daveydave

@eshchan: also wow talk about the total opposite. I will get in touch with him