#1 Posted by AndrewBeardsley (372 posts) -

So i just finished East of Eden and thought it was phenomenal. Any other duders read it? or any other Steinbeck for that matter.

I want a book site.

#2 Posted by SockemJetpack (405 posts) -

I guess the obvious choice would be Of Mice and Men. Had a pretty good movie starring Gary "Lt. Dan" Sinise as well.

#3 Posted by MattyFTM (14244 posts) -

Of Mice and Men is an amazing novel. It's the only Steinbeck novel I've read, but it was brilliant. I'd definitely recommend it.

#4 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3642 posts) -

Of Mice and Men is one of my favorite books, but I'm not a big Steinbeck fan. The Red Pony was a piece of shit.

#5 Posted by SSully (4060 posts) -

I am a huge fan of Travels with Charley. It's about John and his dog Charley taking a trip around America. It is a very loose structured book, but as in all of his other books, Steinbeck describes the scenery beautifully and his depictions of the people he encounters is fantastic. It is just interesting to see his take on America in a non-fiction manner.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (34615 posts) -

How has nobody mentioned The Grapes of Wrath? Isn't that considered his opus or something?

#7 Edited by Aegon (5117 posts) -

I only read The Pearl back in either middle or high school. It was purty good (warning: depressing stuff happens). I should probably check out some of his other stuff.  

#8 Posted by NegativeCero (2927 posts) -

I've read Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men and the Pearl in high school. They were enjoyable enough.

#9 Posted by Cirdain (2957 posts) -
@MattyFTM

Of Mice and Men is an amazing novel. It's the only Steinbeck novel I've read, but it was brilliant. I'd definitely recommend it.

Same here.
#10 Posted by forkboy (970 posts) -

Had to read Of Mice and Men in High School, & it was one of the few things on the curriculum that I actually enjoyed reading. Real good stuff

#11 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

Of Mice and Men is good.

I don't like the Grapes of Wrath. I can appreciate it from a historical perspective, but so much of that book is so bizarre that I wouldn't recommend it.

#12 Posted by SSully (4060 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

How has nobody mentioned The Grapes of Wrath? Isn't that considered his opus or something?

I have to get around to rereading it. The first time I read it was earlier in high school. I enjoyed it, but I feel that I would have a better appreciation for it now that I am older.

#13 Edited by MooseyMcMan (9761 posts) -

GRAPES OF WRATH FOREVER!

Seriously. There's a chapter about a turtle in it.

Also, is it just me, or does he look like Andrew Ryan? Or rather, Andrew Ryan looks like him.

#14 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2579 posts) -

The Pearl is fucking awful

Grapes and Mice are fantastic though

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (34615 posts) -

Wait, I've just remembered something:

• The Grapes of Wrath ends with a stillborn baby.
  • The Pearl ends with the main character's baby dying.
  • Of Mice and Men kills a man with the intelligence of a baby.

What did Steinbeck have against babies?

#16 Posted by ShadowConqueror (2994 posts) -

I've only read Of Mice and Men, I'm afraid.

#17 Posted by xMP44x (2189 posts) -

I've only read Of Mice and Men, since it was required reading for English Literature at school. It's a quick, short read, and I enjoyed it. Admittedly, I can't say if I would enjoy his other books, but The Moon is Down in particular interests me. If you're looking a book site the only real option is going to be Goodreads or Shelfari. Whiskey need to do a book site though.

#18 Edited by AndrewBeardsley (372 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan: ....i never noticed....

They probably used him for inspiration. maybe

also it seems everyone has read some steinbeck in school. I wish my school did that but i guess thats what happens when you go to catholic school in Canada

#19 Posted by Cheesebob (1212 posts) -

John Shitbeck more like!

#20 Posted by Little_Socrates (5650 posts) -

I did not care for the seventy-five or so pages I read of The Grapes of Wrath. Brilliant prose, but he didn't seem to have much interest in storytelling or pacing. I always intended to finish it all the same, but I simply did not.

#21 Edited by phrali (646 posts) -

Tortilla Flat is tremendously entertaining and you can finish it in like 2 days.