JPOP, JPOP, and JPOP: The Discussion Thread

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

More music from 2020!

The World is Fancy - Unison Square Garden (2020)

The World is Fancy is an upbeat, punchy song from band Unison Square Garden. The verses are rapid-fire and smooth, punctuated nicely by the quick beat and bass riff. Everyone goes all out for the chorus, pushing the energy to 110% before sliding back into the slick verses again. All in all, this is a tight song with fantastic instrumentation.

Daybreakers - Nana Mizuki (2020)

If you’ve never heard a Nana Mizuki song before, Daybreakers is a good introduction to her style: a sort of power pop-rock that mixes intense production with ballady vocals. Most impressive is Mizuki’s voice, which has amazing range and can nearly blow you out of your chair with its power, but the instrumentation also brims with energy from beginning to end too. Sadly, the video is a bit lacking when compared to some of her other videos, but that’s understandable considering the circumstances.

24 Hours - Kei Takebuchi (2020)

Okay, I'm cheating a bit here, as 24 Hours is technically sung (mostly) in English, but this song is too great not to share (and Kei Takebuchi does perform some of her songs in Japanese, such as this one inspired by the Lo-Fi study girl!). This is a light, airy song that’s still packed with power and emotion thanks to Takebuchi’s incredible voice. It’s such a relaxing song for me, one that I like to put on and vibe out to when I’m in a bad mood.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time for more songs--another group of recent releases!

Trapped in the Past - TUYU (2020)

Trapped in the Past was my first exposure to TUYU, an artist with a style that feels a bit like a mashup between utaite/vocaloid sounds and something akin to Yorushika. The vocals are powerful with an impressive range, and the lyrics themselves are thought-provoking in that Japanese, self-reflective way. Production-wise, there’s a lot of variety via little samples, piano slides, and tight guitar riffs.

Utopia - Miida (2020)

Miida is a relatively unknown artist, with the video for Utopia only sitting at 1938 views as of my writing this post. I was immediately pulled in at the beginning of the song via the bassy backing track and catchy little synth line, and I stuck around because of how relaxing it was. The vocalist’s singing fits perfectly with this laid-back sound, creating a surprisingly engrossing track that I enjoy zoning out to.

Kimi no shigusa mo - Baby Kiy (2020)

I first discovered Baby Kiy last year via Stay Together, a wonderfully nostalgic pop track that felt right out of the late 90s/early 00s. Kimi no shigusa mo is her most recent release, and it reminds me of why I enjoyed Stay Together so much--gentle acoustic instrumentals, warmly inviting vocals, and an adorable music video. This is a song that is just...comfy in every way.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#303  Edited By redwing42

@wemibelle: Surprised at the lack of views on the Miida videos. I wouldn't say I would go out of my way to find her stuff, but she had a good throwback type of sound that reminded me of some 80's citypop. Bonus points for the featured classic MA-101 keyboard.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For this week, I’ve got three songs that are a little more pop-adjacent. These songs really stood out to me amongst the typical pop/rock fare I usually post here. Hope you like them!

Maboroshi - Tokiyo (2020)

NOTE: The song actually starts at around 1:03.

In a world of crazy, over-the-top Japanese pop songs, Maboroshi feels almost painfully slow. Every note and vocal from Tokiyo feels like it’s trying to eke out every last bit of emotion and power that it possibly can before moving on to the next. As a result, it’s a delightfully mellow song that is incredibly easy to vibe to, especially that amazingly twangy guitar. Every time I listen to it, I find myself getting entirely lost in the hypnotic vocals and instrumentation.

16yrs - Doul (2020)

I was immediately stricken by Doul’s vocals on 16yrs. She has this thick, syrupy voice that sounds entirely different from the typical voices I hear in Japanese music. It fits the lyrics so perfectly too, her mature voice meshing with the theme of age just being a number and having nothing to do with the maturity of a person. Her voice compelled me in a way I wasn’t expecting, bringing me back again and again to drown myself in her wonderfully viscous vocals.

Spice - Jabberloop (2020)

And now, for something completely different! Jabberloop’s Spice is a strange jazzy rock song that I really adore. It’s a great mix of instruments, putting trumpet and saxophone alongside guitar and keyboard to create something surprisingly upbeat while retaining a very jazzy groove. My favorite parts are the breakdowns, including some great horn solos and an absolutely incredible keyboard solo that has me moving my whole body every time I hear it.

piousmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hell yeah, Jabberloop!

ZUTOMAYO - FASTENING - 2020

In addition to having great vocals and a cool video, this video has some of the most unique subtitles effects I've ever seen. Make sure your subtitles are turned on when you watch this!

inabakumori - Lagtrain (2020)

I don't know much about inabakumori, but this video popped up in my recommended feed and I've found myself watching it every day since. It's really catchy, and the use of repeating animations in the video is really nice.

PEOPLE 1 - Flopnik (2020)

This one is rock, not pop, but I just gotta share it. It's another super catchy song with an adorable video that I find myself watching over and over.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna do something a little quicker this week, as I’m low on time.

Lost in Paradise - Ali (2020)

Lost in Paradise is a smooth, easygoing track with some slick production and fun vocals. Some of the verses give me a Persona 3 vibe, which I’m a huge fan of.

Panopticon - Tatsuya Kitani (2020)

Tatsuya Kitani’s Panopticon is a wild ride of a music video. The production has some neat glitchy effects, and the video is crazy and creative. I also like Kitani’s vocals, which remind me fondly of Kenshi Yonezu.

Bring Me To Life (cover) - Wagakkiband x Amy Lee (2020)

Here’s something I never thought I’d see--a crossover between Wagakkiband and Evanescence’s Amy Lee. This is a fantastic cover of Bring Me to Life that melds the traditional Japanese instrumentation of Wagakkiband with Amy Lee’s (and Wagakkiband’s vocalist’s) powerful vocals.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For this week, I’ve got three great new songs from artists I’ve featured before.

Shiawase no shanana - Bradio (2020)

Bradio tracks always manage to make me smile. The goofy lead singer with his over-the-top afro and hilarious facial expressions paired with the funky instrumentation and vocals is always a balm for my bad mood. Shiawase no shanana isn’t my favorite song of theirs, but it’s still a hell of a lot of fun.

Time Warp - Perfume (2020)

Time Warp was another one of those Perfume tracks I wasn’t too into when I first heard it but quickly became more and more to my liking as I kept listening to it. The deliberate verses are my favorite part, paced nicely with the production on the track. As always, the video is absolutely fantastic, featuring a time theme as the choreography goes back and forth throughout the song.

What Do You Want? - Rei (2020)

I absolutely love Rei’s style. She has this easy confidence to her songs that pairs perfectly with the smooth, retro sound of her guitar playing. What Do You Want? is another amazing display of her blues-esque guitar prowess, as she makes her instrument sing with this twangy sound that is entirely her own.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here’s another three songs!

Haru wo tsugeru - Yama (2020)

Haru wo tsugeru is a song that’s been hovering around the bottom of my Top 10 list for a few months now. It doesn’t have quite the punch that some of my other favorites from 2020 have, but it’s a compelling song that I find myself coming back to again and again nonetheless due to its powerful vocals and fantastically upbeat production.

Peter Pan - Yuuri (2020)

Yuuri’s vocals on Peter Pan are incredibly fun. There’s this whimsical air to them despite being delivered with a powerful and almost raw voice. I think the video also does a great job of matching this feeling, as he dances about crazily but still manages to exude a lot of emotion and strength at the same time. This isn’t necessarily a catchy song, but it’s still remarkably entertaining.

Getting Into A Pose - Toreina (2020)

Toreina started out with a style much more inspired by chiptune music, but, over the last few years, her sound has gotten a bit more experimental, utilizing hip-hop sounds and a dirtier overall aesthetic to create something very striking. Getting Into A Pose is one of my favorites off her new album, a filthily distorted banger that I love to vibe to.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got a new batch of songs with a bonus extra!

Better - Twice (2020)

Twice may have lost its crown as the most popular KPOP group, but they’re still putting out quality songs on the regular, both in Korean and Japanese. Better is their latest Japanese release, and it’s pretty good! It has the punchier production that usually accompanies Japanese songs from Korean groups, and the vocals flow together nicely with it, especially the verses.

DeLorean - Toconoma (2020)

Toconoma is a long-running instrumental band with a typically jazzy, funky sound to their music. DeLorean is a track off their newest album and it’s definitely funky. There’s an excellent bass line and solid drum work throughout the song that drives it forward, punctuated by the tight guitar riffs and synth lines. It’s one of those songs that I have a hard time not tapping my foot or nodding my head along to.

Happy Blue Monday - Helsinki Lambda Club (2020)

Helsinki Lambda Club is a self-described “Japanese alternative rock band” whose music “...encompasses the attitude of garage punk, as well as the spirit of new wave and psychedelic.” Happy Blue Monday is one of their newest songs. While the vocals are pretty average and don’t do much for me, I absolutely love the instrumentation, particularly that fun little combination of riffs that repeats throughout the song.

BONUS: Yasashii Akuma - Orange Caramel (2012)

Orange Caramel is one of my absolute favorite KPOP groups (which sadly is on permanent hiatus right now), and Yasashii Akuma is one of their few Japanese releases. This video has been up and down on Youtube for YEARS as people uploaded it and got it taken down by the label before FINALLY getting an official posting last year (which I just discovered). It’s a pretty nostalgic song for me, as I first heard it around the time I started getting into both KPOP and JPOP and I’m so happy it’s finally up somewhere I can always hear it.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got another three songs for everyone. Almost at the end of the year and hard at work on my Top 10s for 2020!

Dear My Friend feat. Pentatonix - Little Glee Monster (2020)

As a longtime Pentatonix fan, Little Glee Monster’s recent collab with them for Dear My Friend made me very happy. This is an incredibly chill song that makes me feel warm and fuzzy. The acapella singing is beautiful and the vocals, from both Little Glee Monster and Pentatonix, are beautiful. Kirstin from Pentatonix even displays some impressive Japanese pronunciation.

Ashita wa nai - Shishamo (2020)

Shishamo is one of the more consistent Japanese bands out there, in my opinion, releasing a solid album nearly every year since they started. Ashita wa nai is one of their newest songs, and I really like it. It has this middle-level energy--not too overwhelming and not too downbeat--that works for me. The distinctive style of Asako Miyazaki’s vocals fit this track perfectly too.

Different - Band-Maid (2020)

New Band-Maid! Different is a very different sounding track than most Band-Maid songs, almost immediately getting up in your face with a pounding beat and violent array of instrumentation. For me personally, this sound doesn’t really work. It all sounds too busy, drowning out the individual instruments instead of making each of them sound distinctive and important, which I normally find to be one of the band’s main strengths. I actually enjoy the B-side off this single, Don’t Be Long, a bit more--a fully instrumental track that lets each instrument breathe and be heard.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312  Edited By Wemibelle

Gonna do a bit of a quick one this week, since I put up my Top 10 for 2020 last week (which you can find HERE). Next post will be in 2021--let’s hope it’s a better year for everyone!

Ultra Power - Sarukani (2020)

This is a neat hip-hop track with some fast beatboxing sprinkled over the top to give it a very unique sound. Some really cool production here too.

666 - kakeru (2020)

I just found this electronic track a few days ago and it’s amazingly weird and fresh and exciting. Definitely check out kakeru’s 2020 album my first album on Spotify too for more.

Survive - Wagamamarakia (2020)

What a bizarre mishmash of sounds this one is. Elements of punk rock, metal, JPOP, and hip-hop collide into something entirely compelling.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time for the first post of 2021! As is typically the case, it will probably be a few posts before I can regularly include all 2021 songs, but there’s still plenty of great tracks from last year I can share in the meantime.

Goodbounce - Ebimayo (2016)

Goodbounce was my first exposure to Ebimayo, and it makes me want to explore more of the artist’s work. This song, like many of Ebimayo’s tracks, is full of frenetic energy and pounding beats. Goodbounce in particular is impossible for me not to bounce along to, especially when it hits its peak at around a minute in.

Koitsura aiteru - Nigami17 (2020)

I almost shared Koitsura aiteru a few months ago when it first released, but I passed it over for a few other songs and forgot about it. Now seems like the perfect time to get back to it! This is a track with atypical structure, oddly all-over-the-place production, and fantastic alternating verses from the two vocalists. It’s a bizarre song but still catchy nonetheless.

Jibungoto - Team Shachi (2020)

I was hooked on Jibungoto from its first few seconds. The slick synth beat and use of horns was immediately ear-catching and made me want to hear more. I equally love the verses, with a somewhat hypnotic rhythm synced to the beat and odd cadence. Sadly, the “chorus” is a bit much for me, bombastic and loud in a way that goes against the otherwise calm parts of the song.

Avatar image for deactivated-619b03b9dff60
deactivated-619b03b9dff60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is anyone here into 80s jpop? I'm very big into idols from the decade such as Okada Yukiko, Kikuchi Momoko, Yu Hayami, Akina Nakamori, etc...

Loading Video...

Momoko's my Favorite idol and probably one of my favorite artists ever.

I blame this obsession on me getting into 80s anime and then the whole future funk/city pop craze that helped open the gates for me and lead me into 80s jpop and idols from the decade.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back with some more songs, including my first 2021 release!

Flyers - Girls’ Generation (2013)

Girls’ Generation was/is primarily a Korean pop group--one of the biggest of the last couple decades, actually--but they did release a fair number of Japanese songs too. This song, Flyers, was actually something I found via a Beat Saber pack and I really enjoy it. There’s nothing overly unique or stand-out about it, but it’s a solid, fun pop song with a catchy chorus.

Nadir feat. IA - Orangestar (2020)

Orangestar is one of many producers out of Japan who primarily make music using vocaloids. Nadir, as well as many of Orangestar’s releases, uses vocaloid IA for the vocals. I’m not as familiar with IA as other popular vocaloids, such as Hatsune Miku, but I really enjoy the sound of her voice here. The production is quite simple here, and maybe a tad too repetitive, but that doesn’t stop it from getting stuck in my head again and again.

Redheart - Akai Haato (2021)

Akai Haato, otherwise known as Haachama, is one of the VTubers associated with the Japanese team through Hololive, easily the biggest production company of VTubers both in Japan and the West currently. Many of the Hololive girls have released songs at this point, and this is Haachama’s first release, named Redheart because her name in Japanese literally means ‘red heart.’ This is actually an English track, despite the VTuber being predominantly Japanese focused on her streams, and you can definitely tell. Still, it’s a cute track with a fun, unique flow despite some predictable production.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I've fallen in love with ZUTOMAYO recently, after they released this stunning indie anime MV for Hunch Gray:

Loading Video...

The sequence that starts at 1:05 is so beautifully choreographed I just can't over how good it is.

Just today they dropped a new MV for DARKEN that I'm gunna also have to drop the video for - it's a completely different style but tells a fantastic short story:

Loading Video...

Sorry for the double video spam!

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: Thanks for sharing! Sadly, those videos are blocked in the US, so I can’t actually see them! It appears the group had region locked their videos in the past but opened them up at some point. These newer videos are still blocked, however, for whatever reason. Hopefully, they become available at some point.

Here’s another batch of 2021 songs, each of which is pretty great!

Dingga - Mamamoo (2021)

Mamamoo is a fantastic KPOP group that always does a wonderful job with the Japanese versions of their Korean hits. Dingga is one of their songs that didn’t do as much for me when I first heard it in Korean, but I’m really digging how it sounds in Japanese. They have a very distinct sound that comes through as perfectly in Japanese as it does in Korean, and it’s catchy as hell to boot.

Nainainai - Atarashii Gakko! (2021)

I’ve been moderately obsessed with Nainainai ever since I first heard it. It’s got this subtle catchiness to it despite its simplicity. The vocals have a flatness to them that make them almost sound like plain speech, but it still flows surprisingly well, especially during the punchy chorus. The main hook is also AMAZING, and I wish it was a bit more prevalent throughout the song.

Gum Gum Girl - Kyary Pamyu Pamyu (2021)

Time for a new Kyary track! Gum Gum Girl doesn’t really do anything I wasn’t expecting, but it’s one of the more solid releases she’s had in a while, at least for me personally. Its sound fits a bit more with her earlier releases such as Ninja Re Bang Bang and Invader Invader, which is when I first got into her. I’m not sure it’ll stick as one my favorites of hers or anything, but I’m happy to listen to it every few days for now.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelle: Ah that's a real shame, the videos are excellent but hopefully you can at least enjoy the songs on their Spotify here and here?

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: Yeah, I can listen to the songs on Spotify here in the US. There's some alternative sites with those videos, if anyone's interested in them--they're neat!

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Three more releases from 2021. Hope you like them!

Goshi Goshi - Candy Foxx (2021)

I love bizarre Japanese music videos like Goshi Goshi--it makes absolutely no sense but boy, is it memorable! Great use of color and light, over-the-top acting, and absurdly bizarre imagery make for a video you won't soon forget. The song is pretty damn good too, with a stupidly catchy main hook. And you’ve gotta love those nonsensical English “lyrics.”

Starry Night - Queen Bee (2021)

Queen Bee is a group I first heard last year, via their video for P R I D E. However, even though I liked that song, I never got around to checking out more of their stuff. Boy, how I wish I had. Starry Night made me realize just how amazing they are and I can’t wait to dig into more of their (extensive) back catalogue. The production on this track is amazing, but the highlight is certainly vocalist Avu-chan’s performance. Their range is absurd, sounding like two entirely different singers, and the song is just an amazing showcase of their talent. It’s one of the best songs I’ve heard in some time and already sits atop my top songs of the year list.

Heikousen - Eve x suis (2021)

Eve and suis (from Yorushika) are two amazing Japanese artists, and they have come together to create something truly special, Heikousen. Heikousen is a fantastic pairing of these two vocalists, with some great production too, but the best thing here is the music video. It’s a gorgeous, stunningly animated mini-story about a boy and a girl who are best friends and grow up across from each other their whole lives. It’s a heartwarming but bittersweet story that ends with the girl moving away with her family, putting their future relationship into question. I have seen animated, story-based music videos before, but this is easily one of the best and deserves to be seen by as many people as possible.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quick post this week!

Bluma to Lunch - BLOOM VASE (2021)

I don’t post hip-hop/rap very often, but I do enjoy it on occasion. Bloom Vase’s Bluma to Lunch is a fun hip-hop track with a slick electronic production underneath that I really dig. The flow is pretty slick and I like the random Dragon Ball clips in the background.

Chu Chu Chu (feat. GUMI) - Louis Vision (2021)

Chu Chu Chu from Louis Vision (and GUMI) is one of the catchiest songs yet from this year. The chorus is complete nonsense, but I can’t deny how easily it gets stuck in my head. The rest of the verses are memorable too, particularly their interesting autotuned cadence, and the beat is equally solid.

Accomplice - Tatsuya Kitani (2021)

Tatsuya Kitani’s Accomplice reminds me fondly of artists like Kenshi Yonezu. The half-pop, half-ballad style is pretty popular among solo male artists in Japan, and it works well here. It’s a fun little song with a decently enjoyable music video too.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got another post for everyone--all three of you! ^_^

Biriyani - Paraiso (2021)

Paraiso is a newly-formed group bringing together moderately famous artists, such as the duo from Pop Shinanaide, into one new project. The track, Biriyani, has a post-pop, very experimental sound akin to groups like Pop Shinanaide (no surprise) and Gesu no Kiwami Otome. It’s a wild trip of a song that you never really lets you know where it’s going next.

Blink [Revenge] - Coaltar of the Deepers (2021)

Coaltar of the Deepers (one of the best band names I’ve heard in a while) released Blink [Revenge] early this year, and I really like its loose, almost playful sound. It feels more like a jam song at times than a song with any real goal or direction, and the light, airy vocals give it a very dreamy quality I enjoy.

Gift - Monkey Majik (2021)

Gift is Monkey Majik’s newest song, and I really wanted to share it because of its video. The song is perfectly fine, if a bit plain, but the video is incredibly endearing. It shows the story of a father and daughter picking out a gift for the mother’s birthday and is full of cute moments. It may be a bit saccharine, but it still makes me smile every time.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got three pretty great new tracks, including two coming in very hot, to share this week!

Freaks - Atarashii Gakko & Warren Hue (2021)

Atarashii Gakko is back with a new release, Freaks, along with a guest vocalist, Indonesian artist Warren Hue. It’s WILDLY different from their last song, adopting an electropop sound akin to artists like The Chemical Brothers; if not for the Japanese vocals, I think you could easily mistake it for a Western Top 40 release. It definitely relies more on those “Western-style” sounds than the vocals from Atarashii Gakko, which means I don’t like it nearly as much as Nainainai, but it’s still a neat track.

Nobody Knows We Are Fun - CHAI (2021)

I never really know what to expect from CHAI. They have such a unique style that shifts from song to song, trying on new genres like pieces of clothing yet still always managing to retain that core unmistakable CHAI sound. Nobody Knows We Are Fun is a mellow, downbeat song that feels much more hip-hop than their past releases. It’s funky and groovy and delightfully hypnotic, a sound that fits CHAI’s vocal style so perfectly I’m surprised they haven’t done it before.

Peace & Love - Cluppo (2021)

Fans of Band-Maid may know they do a “joke song” every year for April Fools’ Day. Typically, this has been an alternative style release by ‘Band-Maiko’ with more traditional Japanese-sounding instrumentation, but this year, we get a fun solo track from rhythm guitar player/backup vocalist Miko. It’s a pretty catchy track, with a bit more of a pop-rock sound, but it’s also very silly. The lyrics are cheesy yet endearing, the video is hilariously typical of the genre, and it’s full of dumb little details, like how Miko’s guitar changes in pretty much every shot. Not a bad track for a joke release.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got another group of 2021 releases for your listening pleasure!

Bijin - Chanmina (2021)

Another new Chanmina release! Bijin is one of her hip-hop styled tracks instead of the poppier style she’s used for her last few songs. It’s dark and sultry and slightly unhinged, especially when you look at the meaning of lyrics and the very creepy music video. I love how well the artist pulls it all off, since she has the poise and presence to spit vocals in a way that perfectly suits the themes of the song, but I wouldn’t call it a “good” song personally. It’s a bit discordant and the video has a huge section in the middle that interrupts the song, both of which hurt it for me. Still, it’s an impressive creation that should be experienced at least once.

The Vampire feat. Hatsune Miku - DECO*27 (2021)

DECO*27 is one of countless producers that work mainly as a vocaloid producer and occasional utaite (someone who covers songs and posts them online). For this track, The Vampire, as well as most of his releases, he uses Hatsune Miku as his vocalist. The production on this track is great across the board, both in DECO’s utilization of Miku and the underlying music. Many people probably think vocaloid software does most of the work, but if you listen to enough vocaloid music, you definitely hear certain producers get more out of a vocaloid than others, such as here with Miku’s tight, punchy vocals.

Line of Fire - Nano (2021)

I’ve been a fan of Nano for about as long as I’ve been regularly listening to Japanese music. Her video for Rock On was one of the earliest tracks I heard and I loved her energetic style. I check in on her from time to time to listen to her new releases, such as with her newest track Line of Fire. This song is a bit different than Rock On, going for a darker, alt-rock style instead of a more traditionally “anime-rock” style from some of her other songs. Her voice is excellent here too, reminiscent of artists like Evanescence’s Amy Lee and Lacuna Coil’s Cristina Scabbia.

SLIGHTLY NSFW BONUS SONG

Ride on Time (cover) - Mariri Okutsu (2021)

This is something extra I just wanted to throw in because I love it SO MUCH. The group Dance for Philosophy has done a handful of “Tiny Bath Concert” videos this year where they cover songs while in a bathroom. While the concept seems very shameless, with the artists sitting naked in a bathtub while they sing, it actually gives the covers an amazing, unique sound due to being filmed in an echoey bathroom. This one is my favorite, a cover of an old city pop song by Tatsuro Yamashita called Ride on Time, just because the acoustics of Okutsu’s performance are so beautiful. It sounds SO GOOD, and I’ve been mildly obsessed with it for weeks now.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#325  Edited By redwing42

@wemibelle: I will sometimes throw on a random city pop video from YouTube while I am working, and I think I've heard Ride on Time before. That is a very good version. Do you have any particular city pop recommendations, or am I good just hitting random compilations? City pop makes me strangely nostalgic for a past I never experienced, and I don't understand it but it fascinates me.

Yoake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't realise this thread was a thing but I'm glad it is.

Back in my university days, I got way into following the producers/utaite on niconico and have followed a handful of the notable producers/artists as they partially transitioned to YouTube such as Halyosy Moly, That, Gero, Dasoku, Koma'n, Majiko etc.

I always was into the tracks produced by Hachi for their unique and inventive beats and lyrical content. It took me an embarrassingly long time to realise was Yonezu Kenshi - I think it was when I picked up Bootleg and Suna no Wakusei was featured.

I'm not much of a music buff, but Bootleg and Stray Sheep are very intriguing bodies of work with a diversity of musical and vocal styles.

The Lemon mini album should also be mentioned because for me Lemon is an unassailable song of loss - Lemon was again featured on Stray Sheep and remained good there, weirdly.

I don't really have much to say about the music technically, but when I think about Yonezu Kenshi's music, I would summarise it by his wonderfully raw voice and a range of musical production. Besides his tent-poles, I like weird tracks like Moonlight, Spirits of the Sea, Paper Flower, etc. And also straight bops like Placebo featuring Noda Yojiro from Radwimps. There are only a few tracks he's produced that I don't really like, mostly because they're kind of more standard than the majority of his offerings.

What I'm saying is I'm here to talk Yonezu Kenshi and will take recommendations of artists that are on a similar kick.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwing42: My city pop knowledge is pretty slim, at least off the top of my head. The only city-pop esque group I can think of is Blu-Swing, but they have some pretty fantastic songs. Otherwise, I don't think you can go wrong with plugging Japanese city pop into Youtube and seeing what comes back.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna do a quick one this week!

Take a Picture - NiziU (2021)

NiziU is a relatively new girl group managed by JYP Entertainment, a predominantly Korean label. Despite having Korean next to its name on their videos, as well as a Korean pop-esque sound to its productions, NiziU is a Japanese focused group. Take a Picture is a fun, high-energy release that I really enjoy, particularly the silly camera shutter sounds whenever they say “take a picture” in the song.

COZY - Chelmico (2021)

COZY is a much mellower, ‘cozier” release from Chelmico. The production is smooth and relaxing and pairs nicely with the pair’s slick vocal stylings. Sadly, this track marks a hiatus for the group, as one of the members is taking a break for her pregnancy, but it’s a fitting temporary sendoff.

Rusalka - Hizaki (2021)

Hizaki is a visual kei guitarist who is part of groups Versailles and Jupiter but also does his own solo stuff, such as Rusalka. This is a symphonic metal instrumental track that takes you on a fun journey and shows off Hizaki’s skills nicely.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another fortnight has passed, so it’s time for more music!

Autobiography - Nano (2021)

I just posted a Nano track a month or so ago, but I heard Autobiography again recently and realized how much better it is than Line of Fire. In fact, it’s probably my favorite Nano track now. The instrumentation is catchy and energetic and pairs perfectly with Nano’s slick vocals, particularly during the memorable chorus.

かっぽじれーしょん - Sakanamon ft. Mossa (2021)

The beginning of this track immediately hooked me, with the back-and-forth singing between Sakanomon’s vocalist and guest vocalist Mossa (from Necry Talkie). I just adore the repetition of “nee nee nee,” especially as it gets more intense in the second verse. The chorus doesn’t quite keep the same adorable catchiness, sadly, but I enjoy listening to the verses again and again.

Just A Boy - Longman (2020)

Got one from last year this week too. I posted a track from Longman, a Japanese punk band, years ago, and even heard this one last year but never got around to posting it. After a gentle, pretty opening with some nice harmonizing between the male and female vocalists, the group gets right into an intense, chord-heavy pop-punk track that sounds fantastic. It maybe wears out its welcome a bit by the end, but it’s still a lot of fun.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna do a quicker one this week. Got my second shot yesterday and am feeling really sore!

Yes No Yes No - Akai Kurage (2020)

The use of intense effects and an almost garbled/screamo style likely makes Yes No Yes a hard recommendation for most people, but I love the entirely bizarre sound it gives the song.

Purpose - Furui Riho (2021)

Furui Riho’s voice in Purpose is lovely and relaxing, pairing nicely with the laid-back beat and pastel-y music video. It’s just so COMFY that I love it to death.

Aitakatta - Louis Vision feat. Miyoko, BBY NABE (2021)

I already shared Chu Chu Chu from Louis Vision, which I loved for its high energy and poppy vocals. Aitakatta is very different--softer, a lot simpler production, amazing vocals--but it’s just as fantastic as the artist’s previous track.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got another batch of songs this week, with a nicely diverse style of sounds!

Metamorphosis - Amefurasshi (2020)

Amefurasshi is a fairly small (in terms of following), newish JPOP group without a huge library of releases just yet. Metamorphosis, a song of theirs from last year, was the first I heard from them. While the vocals are perfectly fine, they have that plainness to them that quite a few Japanese girl groups have, without much to really latch onto. The production, however, makes up for it. It’s fun and punchy and delves into some electronic-y sounds during the breakdowns.

Passion - Fami (2021)

Fami is a bass player who’s been covering songs for years on her Youtube channel, but 2021 marks the release of her first album, Graduation Album. Passion is the second track, and it’s a good demonstration of her skills. Most of her covers have been bass only, with no vocals, but she does sing on tracks like Passion. Her light, airy voice suits her music quite well, bouncing along nicely with the slick bass lines. My only real issue is that the bass is actually a bit quieter than I like, for an artist focused on bass.

Hikari no Disco - Capsule (2021)

Hikari no Disco is Capsule’s first release since the unimaginative, disappointing Wave Runner--and they’ve taken it in a more retro, 80s-ish style. I want to say I really like it, as a huge fan of both Yasutaka Nakata (producer on Capsule, among countless other things) and 80s JPOP, but this song just isn’t doing it for me. I find it very...dull. There’s a bit too much repetition, and the pace isn’t as upbeat as I’d like. It does at least feel like Capsule, which was my main problem with Wave Runner, so it’s entirely possible it’s one of those songs that will grow on me with time.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332  Edited By Bollard

ないない - ReoNa (2021)

Spotify helped me find ReoNa and she's become my latest J-Pop obsession. Started with Nai Nai which I highly recommend.

ANIMA - ReoNa (2020)

Also, I love THE FIRST TAKE and it turns out she was on there last year performing ANIMA, another banger.

@wemibelle: Quite like something about both the Fami and Capsule songs - I'll have to check out some of their other work. Do you have any recommendations for older Capsule songs you liked?

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Giant Bomb may change but the JPOP JPOP JPOP thread is forever! <3

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335  Edited By Wemibelle

@bollard: Sorry for the delayed response! Didn't see it until today, as I never received a notification!

I'd love to recommend some Capsule! There's a TON of great songs in their history, and I could easily list 20+ that I really enjoy. From their early "Shibuya-kei" days, you have songs like Weekend in My Room and Fashion Fashion that are uniquely adorable. Their late 00s-early 10s stuff is some of their best, with amazing tracks such as E.D.I.T. and Love or Lies, as well as my personal favorite Capsule track, Reality. Finally, they did a neat experimental album called Caps Lock in 2013 which sounds almost discordant at times but it's really neat. Control is a nice safe song off that one, but 12345678 is a better example of how quirky an album it can be.

Capsule has a really great catalog, and you're pretty safe with most of it, although I think Sugarless Girl, More! More! More!, and Player are their best albums overall. Hope that helps!

@dixavd said:

Giant Bomb may change but the JPOP JPOP JPOP thread is forever! <3

I plan to keep it going as long as I possibly can! ^_^

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelle: That's probably my fault - I edited my response to reply to you after the fact so it must have broken the notification!

Thank you for the recommendations! Looking forward to checking them out :)

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got another batch of songs, including a few very fresh ones. Enjoy!

Sukuinote - Hakushi Hasegawa + Yukichikasaku/men (2021)

Sukuinote is not going to be a song for everyone. It’s chaotic and bizarre and kinda undefinable. It has a sound that dances the line between almost cacophonic and fascinating without a care in the world. Personally, I find it remarkably creative and absolutely worth experiencing, if a bit abrasive on the ears.

Soliloquy - DUSTCELL (2021)

Here’s a very, very fresh release--only 15 hours old as of the time I’m writing this! Soliloquy is a neat song that dances between a hip-hop style for its “verses” and upbeat pop for the “choruses.” The production suits each section well--subdued during the verses and punchy during the choruses--and the vocals are gorgeously done.

Categorizing Me - Rei (2021)

I absolutely love Rei’s work--having featured her both here and on my yearly Top 10s multiple times--and her newer stuff is just as fantastic. Categorizing Me is technically a song from an album late last year, although it also has an “international version” (basically, entirely in English) for an album released this year. This is a fun little video, where you get to see Rei perform the song up close and personal with cute little flourishes, and I LOVE the song’s laidback energy and lyrics pushing back against snap judgements made towards her without getting to know her.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got some more songs to share!

Bling Bling - Saki Misaka (2021)

Bling Bling is such a comforting, pleasant song for me. The rhythm is laid-back yet tight and fun. I love the chorus’ vocal timing and the repetition of “bling bling bling.”

Red Spirit - Miccatenka (2021)

Miccatenka, a new project from Mika Kobayashi, recently released Red Spirit and it’s really neat! It has a cool mix of modern instrumentation along with the traditional shamisen sound added in.

Racing Into the Night - Yoasobi (2019)

Racing Into the Night isn’t a new release, but Yoasobi just released an official English version so I figured now was a good time to share it. I fell in love with the original version via Beat Saber, as there’s a great map from mapper SlimyBlob that I have played too many times. The English version doesn’t quite hit as hard for me, mostly due to how I’m too used to hearing the song in Japanese, but it’s still amazing how well Yoasobi matches the timing and sound with English vocals.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another hot three songs from 2021 for ya!

Saru Inu Kawazu Uma - Domico (2021)

Domico, a punk duo formed in 2011, has a new album coming in a few months, and Saru Inu Kawazu Uma is their latest video release. This song has a great alt rock sound that feels very early-00s to me, both in the tone of the guitars and the drone of the vocals.

Moonlight At Midday - Tsukuyomi (2021)

Tsukuyomi is a relatively new group formed around producer YurryCanon, a fairly well-known artist who creates a lot of vocaloid tracks. Moonlight at Midday sounds very much like a typical vocaloid song, but the vocals are actually done by member Mikoto, whose clear and powerful voice resounds a bit more strongly than your typical vocaloid. This is a gorgeous track that reminds me favorably of groups such as Yoasobi and Yorushika.

Poseable - Rhyme So (2021)

The pairing of Australian artist Rhyme and DJ Shinichi Osawa, best known for his work as Mondo Grosso, lead to the group Rhyme So (Rhyme + Osawa’s initials = Rhyme S.O.--clever). Poseable meshes the killer beats and production of Osawa and Rhyme’s smooth flow and memorable attitude to make a powerful, fun song. The video is pretty fantastic too.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried for three songs that are a bit different this week. Hope they’re to everyone’s liking!

Colorful - Team Coca-Cola (2021)

Colorful is a song created as part of a marketing campaign around the Olympics by Coca-Cola. It’s a huge collaboration of mostly Japanese artists--with big names like Perfume, Daichi Miura, and Little Glee Monster--as well as a handful of others such as Sabrina Carpenter and Taemin from KPOP group Shinee. While I usually find these large collaboration songs to be kinda insufferable, I actually really like this one. It’s got a fantastic energy to it, especially during the powerful chorus, and the vocals and lyrics are phenomenally well done.

Revolver - Urara (2021)

The debut release (?) from drummer/singer Urara, Revolver is a haunting, yet beautiful track with some rad instrumentation. There is a striking intensity to this song despite how relatively mellow it sounds as a whole. Urara’s black suit and tie along with that striking red lipstick that stands out against the black and white is a POWERFUL look too.

Granny Square - Zombie-chang (2021)

This isn’t my first Zombie-chang song I’ve shared here and it certainly won’t be the last. Granny Square is one of her most recent releases, and it still has that blend of catchy electronic production and creatively bizarre vocals. This time, all of the lyrics are crocheting terms, thrown out without any real logistical consistency but more used as vocal samples to punctuate the production. As usual, it works a lot better than you’d think, and it has a charmingly annoying tendency to burrow its way into my head.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341  Edited By Wemibelle

A bit of a quicker one this week! Sorry it’s a bit late, but the site didn’t want to let me post it at first.

No Sad!! feat. AAAMYYY - Bugs, Tsubame (2021)

While the production and vocals from Bugs, Tsubame are great, the highlight of No Sad!! is guest AAAMYYY’s haunting vocals. They have the perfect amount of echo and reverb and fit perfectly into the song’s overall sound.

WANNA - Inshow-ha (2021)

Inshow-ha’s back with WANNA, a kinda-sequel to BEAM!, one of their best tracks (in my opinion). It has the same intense energy, punchy chorus, and video aesthetic and story. It doesn’t beat BEAM! for me, but it’s still a great song.

Supreme Love! - fhana (2021)

The opening for the new season of Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid, Supreme Love! by fhana is a joyously energetic track with fun range and catchy vocals. I particularly enjoy the very beginning of the song, with the little chorus section before the main vocals kick in.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342  Edited By Bollard

@wemibelle: Supreme Love is quite a tune, it's making me consider checking out Miss Kobayashi's.

YORUWA HONOKA - Eve (2021)

Also, a song! I was exposed to Eve via the Project Young animation festival and found "Night is Faint" on their YouTube channel. The video gave me ZUTOMAYO vibes which I really enjoyed. Think I'll be digging into their back catalogue for sure. It also turns out Eve did the theme for Josee, the Tiger and the Fish which I just watched in cinemas last week!

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like I accidentally missed a week. Forgot what week I was on, whoops!

Got a random assortment of three songs this week. Just what I’m feeling.

Fullmoon Lullaby - Porter Robinson & Wednesday Campanella (2021)

I figured with the recent news that Wednesday Campanella will be replacing KOM_I with a new singer upon her departure from the group, this would be a good time to share Fullmoon Lullaby, a bonus track only on the Japanese release of Porter Robinson’s nurture album. It’s a gorgeous collaboration and hearing the pairing of Robinson’s production with KOM_I’s ethereal vocals is an absolute treat and deserves to be experienced.

Party All Night - FAITH (2020)

I shared FAITH’s Caught Up In Time last year, and even included it on my Top 10 list for 2020. Party All Night is another track from the same album and I might be getting to a point where I like it even more. It’s got such a fun poppy sound and vocals that I can’t help but sing along with, especially the first verse which is my absolute favorite part. I just adore how happy it makes me when I listen to it, and I’ve been listening to it regularly on the way to work for just that reason.

Confession - Kolme (2015)

I’ve actually shared Confession before, back in 2016. The label had only put up a small snippet of the video and song, but I shared it anyway because I enjoyed it so much. I recently discovered that the full video finally got uploaded in the US at the end of 2018 and I’ve been listening to it again and remembering how amazing the production is. The weird contrast of traditional piano and bouncy synth works surprisingly well and makes for a very unique sounding song.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time for more songs again! Got three really great ones for you this week!

Mitei - Chilldspot (2021)

Mitei has been constantly on repeat ever since I heard it a few weeks ago. The beat is super smooth and flows perfectly alongside the vocals. I love how tightly the singer bounces along during the verses and her shift into the beautiful choruses. There’s even some fantastic guitar work interspersed here and there. I adore this song, and it has quickly earned a spot on my end of year list.

Ginger - Tomoo (2021)

Ginger is the first song I’ve heard from Tomoo (to my recollection, at least), and I was instantly enthralled by her deep, unique voice. It’s unlike most voices you hear in Japanese music, and I love how well it suits this song. The little bits of piano are really nice too, giving the song a playful feel that makes me smile.

Pineapple Kryptonite - Atarashii Gakko! (2021)

Another new track from one of my newest favorite artists, Atarashii Gakko! Pineapple Kryptonite keeps up the trend of this group’s songs from 2021 by being very unique and experimental. The production goes in so many different directions, the pace and flow of the song shifts from bridge to chorus to verses, and it suddenly shifts into an atypically gorgeous vocal style during the “choruses.” It’s such a strange song and yet it works so well yet again, perfectly in vibe with Atarashii Gakko!’s striking style.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don’t have much free time this week, so another quick one!

Polygon Wave - Perfume (2021)

Another great new release from Perfume, Polygon Wave fits in nicely with the sounds of older Perfume tracks, such as those from the late 00s. The production is bopping and fun, and the vocals are as tight and gorgeous as ever.

When The Weak Go Marching In - Tatsuya Kitani (2021)

When The Weak Go Marching In immediately caught me with its driving beat and powerful vocals. There’s some clever production moments, and the whole song has a strong energy that I really enjoy.

Lemonade - Chilli Beans (2021)

Yet another tight release from a female-driven rock group, Lemonade is surprisingly catchy, especially during the chorus and its earwormy repetition. I just love the laid-back vibe to this track and have a lot of fun every time I hear it.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another week, another three songs!

Groggy Ghost - Daoko & TAAR (2021)

Daoko is back with another new release, this time pairing up with rising producer TAAR to create Groggy Ghost. This track feels a bit more reminiscent of Daoko’s early solo releases, a bit more mellow and less poppy overall. The production does a great job supporting her laid-back vocals and keeping a nicely subdued mood. Also, I LOVE Daoko’s aesthetic in this video--she looks so damn stylish!

Amsterdam - AmPm (2021)

I had never heard of AmPm until recently, despite reaching wide popularity on Spotify with their debut single in 2017. Amsterdam immediately caught my ear, though, with its tight production and driving beats. It’s a pretty simple song on the whole, with slightly dull vocals that don’t add much to the track for me, but it’s fun enough that I enjoy listening to it again and again.

Hula Hoop - Loona (2021)

Loona is a neat KPOP group that slowly released singles with each of its twelve members over the course of a year, building to the full group with each new member until the full group was together at the end. Hula Hoop is Loona’s first Japanese track and it’s pretty good! It’s a solid, catchy track that manages to both feel in tune with their typical Korean sound while also sounding not entirely out of place in Japanese.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here’s another three songs for everyone to enjoy!

Yellow Card - No Buses (2021)

No Buses continues to be one of my absolute favorite indie bands in the Japanese scene right now. The group just has a knack for catchy hooks, and the vocalist’s style suits their sound so perfectly. Yellow Card is a touch on the mellower side, but it’s still one of those songs that I can’t help but nod along to as I hear it and one that sticks in my head for a long while afterwards. If you haven’t checked out No Buses yet, you’re missing out.

Alice - Suiyoubi no Campanella (2021)

The first tracks after KOM_I’s departure from Wednesday Campanella are here: Buckingham and Alice. Of the two, I prefer Alice’s style a bit more. Obviously, the production is just as fantastic as ever, with creative hooks and a tight sound. However, getting used to new vocalist Utaha is strange. She’s obviously talented, more technically talented than KOM_I probably, but I find her voice a bit plainer and less immediately striking. I’m still not sure how I feel about the change on the whole, but this is a solid track nonetheless.

Everything Needs Love feat. BoA (RE-NEW JP version) - Mondo Grosso (2021)

Everything Needs Love was originally released back in 2002 with “queen of KPOP” BoA, before she had hit it big in Korea and was actually more focused on success in Japan. The track was sung in English and sounded very late-90s into early-00s in its production style. The two came back this year to update the original song with fresh production and new vocals from BoA, now in Japanese, and it sounds amazing. The vocals from the more mature and talented BoA sound better than ever, and the production retains the original retro feel but also sounds more modern and layered.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last post before Thanksgiving! Gonna do a quicker one this week, due to being a bit busy for the next few weeks, but I still have three songs to share. Enjoy and happy holidays, everyone!

Free Your Mind - Atarashii Gakko! (2021)

Free Your Mind is yet another hot Atarashii Gakko! track, one that sounds like it wouldn’t be out of place on some third-party extreme sports game soundtrack. This song just continues my obsession with this group, a fascination that has me actually watching interviews and behind-the-scenes videos for them which I almost never do for any group.

Odo - Ado (2021)

Odo is my first exposure to Ado, but it has me eager to listen to more of their work. It’s incredibly creative in its production, with crazy sound effects timed perfectly to the beat and vocals in fun ways as well as a catchy beat throughout. The vocals are tight and flow nicely too.

Candy Racer - Kyary Pamyu Pamyu (2021)

2021 has brought multiple solid Kyary releases, some of her best releases in quite some time in my opinion. Candy Racer is another fun track, with an almost “happy hardcore-lite” soundat times, due to its driving beat and intense distortion. It’s such a bizarrely amusing track and video and I enjoy it quite a bit.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to watch Space Shower TV back in the day to keep in touch with music and now I get my music from the handful of bands I'm subscribed to on Youtube which isn't a real wide net in terms of listening to new/less well known stuff.

Reading the last few posts just hammers home how much I'm missing out on.