Judge Dredd: Mega-City One Netflix show.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is anyone else here interested in such a show? As you might be able to tell, I'm a fan of Judge Dredd. I've been a fan of it before I actually started reading the comics actually (which I am doing a lot right now). I don't exactly know why it was I got into it, or when, but it was a few years prior to the film Dredd I believe. The Sylvester Stallone film does some aspects of the comic well, like the look of it all (minus the real-life advertisements in Mega-City One), but that film just wasn't good and I find it very hard to re-watch it. Dredd, on the other hand, looked like a fanmade, low-budget film from the trailer, so I wasn't optimistic about it, but it turned out to be one of the better action films in recent memory in my opinion (though it does still have that low-budget look to some degree).

It also, unfortunately, doesn't really do the look of the comics that well. I was disappointed by the very clean looking cityscape, for instance, the lack of robots and the multitude of other aspects missing or changed, but the lack of what it doesn't do similar to the comics didn't really bother me in the end enough to detract from what's an otherwise great movie. Recent news of Mega-City One the show is just talking about who will play Dredd (which may be Karl Urban, if he has the time and interest in the stories they have to tell). It will most likely be on Netflix if it happens too if it comes to fruition. The creators want or believe the show can bring about many episodes, and many seasons. Judge Dredd's stories in the comic go by yearly, so when a year passes in real life, a year passes in the comic, and so far it's been forty years. They have a lot to work with if they want to adopt some of the stories from the comics.

Are there any other Judge Dredd fans here that want this show to happen? What do you hope to see in it? From the announcement video they put out, they say they want to the grittiness of Dredd, but the silliness of the comic. Lastly, while a bit off-topic, I wanted to post this video. I've seen images of it on Google before, but never actually watched it until recently. This is an animated mini-series (but the video is the entire thing, so no clicking to other videos to watch it through), telling an alternate version of how Dredd meets Judge Death, and really many other aspects which differ from the comics, but it's pretty good and gets some of the tone of Judge Dredd down well. Enjoy!

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped reading the Dredd comics years ago, but I loved the older stuff and own several of the collected editions. I can't say I liked either of the movies all that much, but I don't mind that Netflix is giving it a shot. It's a world that requires a good bit of background and character development, so it will probably work better as a series than a 90 minute movie.

A big part of the comic is dark humor. Assuming they can pull that off without going full derp, it may be good.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I'd personally would like to see more Dredd-type stuff happen. I was disappointed by the Sly movie even though there was some exceptional production design of Mean Machine and Hammerstein with a helping hand from Mr. Chris Cunningham. The Dredd movie was much better - I think Urban being a fan of 2000AD ensured there were no hijinks like helmet removal and the like. Plus I saw that thing in D-Box when I was in the US and only added to the bombast of it. I'm sure that Mr. Urban was in talks to be part of the show. Fingers crossed. Also fingers crossed that one day we'll see the Dark Judges being realised...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pickassoreborn: I want a really good game. I mean, Rebellion is putting out (and what I consider to be a really weird choice) a remaster of Rogue Trooper, so it'd be cool to see them get a talented team together to create a new Judge Dredd game. I heard Judge Dredd vs. Death was a bargain bin kind of game when it came out, so I never tried it until earlier this year (because I just couldn't help it), and I surprisingly enjoyed it! I just wish it was a little longer and took time to really delve deeper into the world and the characters. A few different weapons would have been nice too. I'd actually buy a remaster of that game if they put some considerable work into it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never read the comics but i LOVED the latest movie and was bummed they never made a sequel. I actually dug the original movie too, but for completely different reasons lol.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

I got into Judge Dredd a little bit after really liking the Judge Dredd pinball machine. I'd be into the show if you get a gang fight between the McDonalds and the Burger King gangs.

catpowerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That's a really good idea. Since it seems like dredd 2 isn't going to get green lit by a studio any time soon Netflix could be a perfect fit.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

This kinda just makes me bummed Almost Human never took off. That was a great show.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This kinda just makes me bummed Almost Human never took off. That was a great show.

Indeed, it was.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

@sin4profit: I have the feeling that wouldn't happen, unfortunately. I don't know, it depends on if TV differs to comics I guess in terms of what you can put in there. That was one of the comic stories that was banned when it was first introduced (but can now be read due to changes in the UK law). There's also a story in there that had the Jolly Green Giant and the Michelin Man with a bunch of other U.S. corporate characters. That said, one of the things mentioned when it comes to making the show is bringing the Cursed Earth story to the screen, and that's the story that has the Burger Wars and Soul Food stories in it.