Kid attempts to hack my site, should i call up his dad?

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Me and my friend have spent a few weeks working on a file hosting site for a school project. Despite the site being early in development and not very secure yet we had a build up and running live online.

Yesterday we saw that someone had been uploading and attempting to run encoded files on the site with the hope of obtaining information on the server, site and eventually user data. It does not look like he has had any successes though.

We quickly banned his ip address and found out who is and where he lives. I have his full real name, address, Facebook, steam and email account. I also found his Dads phone number.

Should i call up the Dad and let him know what his son has been doing? The kid is 16 by the way.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

I say why not.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

No. The only reason you would call would be to get back at him, and you would only be met with resistance. My suggestion is, if you cant secure peoples information, then you need to not store it.

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

certainly should.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Send a formal letter.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

If you're polite about it, I don't see why not.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagbiker said:

No. The only reason you would call would be to get back at him, and you would only be met with resistance. My suggestion is, if you cant secure peoples information, then you need to not store it.

He did not get any data and even if he did sensitive data like passwords are encrypted.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SexyToad

Yes call the dad. Teach that kid who's boss!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@dagbiker said:

He did not get any data and even if he did sensitive data like passwords are encrypted.

Dag is still right. Its your job to make sure this does not happen. I mean..this happens to every other hosting site. I doubt they call up the parents of the hackers and report them. Its part of the job dude.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No, for the kid to be 16 and to be a script kiddie, he's got a hobby that will hopefully lead to him going into a decent career path. If his dad takes away his computer, he'll be forced to go outside and play football, he'll join the team at school, and when he graduates he'll be pumping gas for minimum wage.

You'll ruin his life.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@expensiveham said:

@dagbiker said:

Dag is still right. Its your job to make sure this does not happen. I mean..this happens to every other hosting site. I doubt they call up the parents of the hackers and report them. Its part of the job dude.

Even the biggest networks in the world with the best security gets breached from time to time. This shit happens and nothing is secure. What matters is that you figure out how to minimize damage when this DOES happen which it sounds like that is exactly what happened.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

As long as you are polite, go for it. It's the parents job to make sure he doesn't pull shit like that in the first place.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@expensiveham said:

@dagbiker said:

Even the biggest networks in the world with the best security gets breached from time to time. This shit happens and nothing is secure. What matters is that you figure out how to minimize damage when this DOES happen which it sounds like that is exactly what happened.

In case it was not clear, he accomplished nothing and failed at what he was doing. But it is obvious that he has a malicious intent even if he just is a script kiddie. And the information in the database (that he did not get access to) is useless anyway as it is encrypted and contains just a few test accounts me and my friends have made. We only made the site to improve and use our skills in php, sql, css and javascript and its not like we have a large userbase. We have a total of 8 accounts on the site.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

@psylah said:

No, for the kid to be 16 and to be a script kiddie, he's got a hobby that will hopefully lead to him going into a decent career path. If his dad takes away his computer, he'll be forced to go outside and play football, he'll join the team at school, and when he graduates he'll be pumping gas for minimum wage.

You'll ruin his life.

.....do it.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By Sergio

Yes. People are correct that it's your responsibility to maintain security of the site. However, under normal circumstances, these types of breaches would also be prosecuted. Just because a web site is responsible for the security of user information, it doesn't mean they ignore information regarding hackers once known. You're doing the kid a favor by informing his dad. The kid could get in more serious trouble if he tries this with someone else.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@expensiveham said:

@dagbiker said:

In case it was not clear, he accomplished nothing and failed at what he was doing. But it is obvious that he has a malicious intent even if he just is a script kiddie. And the information in the database (that he did not get access to) is useless anyway as it is encrypted and contains just a few test accounts me and my friends have made. We only made the site to improve and use our skills in php, sql, css and javascript and its not like we have a large userbase. We have a total of 8 accounts on the site.

Then use this to also improve your security.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@expensiveham:

@soap said:

@psylah said:

You'll ruin his life.

.....do it.

Yup, do it. Put the scare in the kid early that he can easily be found out by fucking around. More than likely he wont be so arrogant to think he'll be more sneaky next time and leave that shit alone. Maybe tell his dad to not take the computer away but warn that he can be put in jail and fined for what he did and that he should concentrate on contributing to society instead of fucking it up.

Then have the dad whip his ass with a belt.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By expensiveham

@the_laughing_man said:

Then use this to also improve your security.

I have already made changes to stop it from happening again.

@psylah said:

You'll ruin his life.

I am not doing this to fuck with him and try to get him in trouble. From what i've learned looking him up he seems like a smart kid (he has a game up on google play for example) and i think his technical interest is something that should be encouraged but using security exploits to fuck with someones site and try to get server information is not the right way.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jrinswand
Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

What that gif^ says.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring the hammer down! (thats code for call his dad!)

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes- 100% do it. if he's going to behave like a child, call him out on it.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@psylah said:

You'll ruin his life.

This sounds like a fine reason to call that boy's father.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MikkaQ

Call the father, and just start making up stuff about all these laws his son broke, but since he's under 18 and using his father's internet connection, that the father is liable and will soon be contacted by a lawyer.

At the very least you can waste some of his money by scaring him into a legal consult over nothing.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have his FB, maybe just make a polite post on his wall asking him to stop messing with your site. If he knows someone's onto him, he might get scared off.

If not, then call his dad.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By louiedog

@psylah said:

You'll ruin his life.

Alternatively, calling his dad and explaining things could help him get into a summer internship that might help him focus these interests in a more productive way before he does this to the wrong site and police get involved. You never know what this kid is looking for. Maybe he's trying to steal and sell credit card info which is going to land him in a lot more trouble than his dad taking away his computer.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Max_Cherry

His dad probably doesn't know what the internet even is.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say inform daddy w/ a strong hint of his son applying his talent in a nondistructive way. If that is possible. Especially if this misguided bs of making other ppl's lives miserable can be reoriented into a job.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

So how do you know the father won't call up the police on you for obtaining contact information without permission? Yes, I know the kid committed a crime, but "he's just a kid" might fly and get him off for far less or even nothing.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Jams

@louiedog said:

@psylah said:

You'll ruin his life.

Alternatively, calling his dad and explaining things could help him get into a summer internship that might help him focus these interests in a more productive way before he does this to the wrong site and police get involved. You never know what this kid is looking for. Maybe he's trying to steal and sell credit card info which is going to land him in a lot more trouble than his dad taking away his computer.

It's also a little worrisome that this kid has a game published on Google Play and is also trying to steal information. That could come back and bite him in the ass if he ever tries to make a living selling games.