Latest PPV and weekly show discussion thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#12551  Edited By Roomrunner

Gonna sound like a "puppet" here, but I bought DBry's injury. The whole thing felt slow, confusing, and not good tv. Orton, who is the worst actor in the world, wasn't sure what to do, hug and show respect to Danielson, or stay cold to The Dazzler.

Also if they planned to have Bryan chew out HHH backstage, it would have been filmed, not spoken about by Cole.

Avatar image for doesitoffendyou_yeah
DoesitOffendYou_Yeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@mildmolasses said:

@doesitoffendyou_yeah said:

So what was the deal with Daniel Bryan? Obviously it all looked legit, especially when Orton and Bryan spent ages selling on the mat and Orton is heard swearing to the ref. But, I haven't seen much since last night and he's apparently in the main event on Smackdown so I guess he's fine?

Just good storytelling. Although I thought they were going to take it further with Orton trying to kill him, but that would have been a bit of a retread from Del Rio/Ziggler the night before.

So you think it wasn't legit? I'm skeptical, I have to say. It seemed real, but then the video on wwe.com shows them talking about the gorilla and the HHH/Bryan confrontation.. and it sort of kinda broke kayfabe a little, so I don't know, I'm perplexed on this one.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#12553  Edited By MildMolasses

@doesitoffendyou_yeah: Only because once a doctor got involved and started showing concern, there is no way Orton or the referee would have continued on with the match and they would have made a much greater effort to get Bryan to stop (ie adrenaline took over and he didn't really know what he was doing).

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12554  Edited By papercut

God dammit. I wish I was in the chat last night just for Mark Henry. That was easily the best swerve I have seen in years, even if it was telegraphed before hand. Mark Henry, you are great. I'm sorry you tore your nice dress shirt.

Also what's up with Alex Wrestling Podcast??!??!!

EDIT: So if this wrestling podcast happens it kinda has to be called the Giant Powerbomb Cast right?

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

F4W is reporting that the injury suffered by Bryan is legit and that the ending was a shoot. They then did a work with the WWE.com article about Bryan snapping at Triple H saying that he's worked through injuries and that Hunter took away his biggest win.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12556  Edited By RipTheVeins

Slater kills it in the end of this week's Backstage Fallout:

Loading Video...

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drx25 said:

F4W is reporting that the injury suffered by Bryan is legit and that the ending was a shoot. They then did a work with the WWE.com article about Bryan snapping at Triple H saying that he's worked through injuries and that Hunter took away his biggest win.

I just re-watched the match. A major reason I have a hard time believing it was legit is the simple fact that I can't believe the improvised ending, to get a guy who is complaining about numbness out of a match, would involve side suplex onto a guard rail. I will admit that after doing a top rope drop kick that there is a lot of communication between the ref and Bryan, but even after that, Bryan is still able to to skin the cat and take the drop on the guard rail. If it's real, that's shitty. If it's all part of the show, then Bryan sold that shit well

I've been reading around and that is the only thing I've heard suggesting it was legit. I suppose tonight's taping will answer the question for us

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#12558  Edited By turboman

@mildmolasses said:

@doesitoffendyou_yeah said:

So what was the deal with Daniel Bryan? Obviously it all looked legit, especially when Orton and Bryan spent ages selling on the mat and Orton is heard swearing to the ref. But, I haven't seen much since last night and he's apparently in the main event on Smackdown so I guess he's fine?

Just good storytelling. Although I thought they were going to take it further with Orton trying to kill him, but that would have been a bit of a retread from Del Rio/Ziggler the night before.

So you think it wasn't legit? I'm skeptical, I have to say. It seemed real, but then the video on wwe.com shows them talking about the gorilla and the HHH/Bryan confrontation.. and it sort of kinda broke kayfabe a little, so I don't know, I'm perplexed on this one.

The match was set up to sell the injury. He injured himself on the dive, but then sold it by forcing in a skinning of the cat and Orton's dropkick to the gut. Also, I don't think that Bryan would shove away a doctor if he was legit hurt.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@riptheveins: If Vince Russo had control of Slater during the Attitude Era, money would have poured in.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman: 100% agreed. I also love that their "dressing room" is just some abandoned hallway since they're not aloud to be in the normal dressing room anymore.

At least, that's what I like to think.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12561  Edited By RipTheVeins

Dot COM posted a gallery recently featuring sketches, or concept art, of superstars in the developmental stages if their character (like Mankind, Golddust, Max Moon, etc.).

Most of them are pretty rad. Especially if you're into 90's comic book art.

Just a few good examples:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Main Event Spoilers:

- The announcers are Miz, Mathews and Rhodes.

- The Shield defeated The Usos and Justin Gabriel when Ambrose pinned Gabriel.

- Antonio Cesaro w/Zeb Colter defeated Sin Cara.

- Kaitlyn defeated Aksana with the Spear.

Smackdown Cliffnotes:

- Daniel Bryan cut a promo about his match on Monday, he said they cut it short because he's the weak link. Bryan then challenged Orton, Orton came out and accepted the challenge.

- Del Rio/Jericho and Axel/Barrett for the IC Title was announced.

- Sheamus defeated Cody Rhodes, Damien Sandow was at ringside. After the match, Sandow beat up Sheamus.

- A Wyatt Family promo aired.

- Curtis Axel retained the Intercontinental Championship against Wade Barrett. The Miz was on commentary.

- AJ Lee defeated Natalya with the Black Widow.

- Backstage, Aksana made fun of Kaitlyn for her loss at Payback. Kaitlyn responded by beating the shit out of her until Layla broke it up.

- Alberto Del Rio defeated Chris Jericho by DQ when Dolph Ziggler ran out and beat up Del Rio. After the match, Del Rio ran away and Jericho gave Ziggler a Codebreaker, which, once Jericho left, lead to Del Rio coming back to kick Ziggler and pose over him.

- Christian defeated Drew McIntyre. After the match, Christian cut a promo about having ONE MORE MATCH that was interrupted by The Shield. They then gave him a Triple Powerbomb.

- Punk/Brock recap.

- Renee Young interviewed Paul Heyman about Punk/Brock and, after making fun of her, said he wouldn't comment.

- Daniel Bryan defeated Randy Orton by Count Out after a Suicide Dive. After the match, Bryan argued with the referee to restart the match, but he refused and left to end the show.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12563  Edited By cmblasko

@riptheveins: Thanks for posting that, really interesting stuff in there. Can you imagine if Foley debuted as "Headcase" instead of Mankind?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smackdown this week seems like a placeholder show, not many angles.

although, the possibility of a Dean Ambrose vs. Christian program in interesting.

Hopefully WWE is committing to saving all of the hot stuff for Raw from now on again.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#12565  Edited By damswedon

Renee Young interviewed Paul Heyman about Punk/Brock and, after making fun of her, said he wouldn't comment

I know complaining that a Heel is being a dick is stupid, but I really wish more Heels weren't dickish to the non-wrestlers.

Also that Mark Henry segment was great.

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, um, John Oliver and Mick Foley cut a promo on Zeb Colter on The Daily Show tonight.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drx25 said:

So, um, John Oliver and Mick Foley cut a promo on Zeb Colter on The Daily Show tonight.

So that's why the Daily show was brought up on Raw

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those Smackdown spoilers now make me wonder whether we saw a double-turn at all.

God I hope we aren't getting another bloody Tweener

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Call me a mark but I too bought BD-DB's injury. Unrelated; why did Justin Roberts announce the Christian Vs. Wade Barrett match as being for the Intercontinental Title? Also, the graphic for the belt popped-up.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Call me a mark but I too bought BD-DB's injury. Unrelated; why did Justin Roberts announce the Christian Vs. Wade Barrett match as being for the Intercontinental Title? Also, the graphic for the belt popped-up.

Did he announce the match before Christian appeared? I can't remember, but if he did, it was because it was supposed to be a Barrett/Axel rematch for the title.

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@humphreys said:

Did he announce the match before Christian appeared? I can't remember, but if he did, it was because it was supposed to be a Barrett/Axel rematch for the title.

Oh right, thanks for clearing that up.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Renee Young interviewed Paul Heyman about Punk/Brock and, after making fun of her, said he wouldn't comment

I know complaining that a Heel is being a dick is stupid, but I really wish more Heels weren't dickish to the non-wrestlers.

Also that Mark Henry segment was great.

I also really enjoyed his comment to Matt Stryker about expecting so much more from him

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There's a nice write up on reddit about the Bryan-Orton Raw match but I don't know if linking to reddit is frown upon. I don't really just wanna copy and paste the contents of it though, seems a bit unfair, so here.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want Zeb Coulter and Antonio Cesaro to show up to The Daily Show now, sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want Colter to go on Colbert, that could be a classic segment.

Avatar image for doesitoffendyou_yeah
DoesitOffendYou_Yeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those Smackdown spoilers now make me wonder whether we saw a double-turn at all.

This is what I'm worried about. In the Payback chat, I was one of the very few against Ziggler losing/the 'double turn' - but that was mainly because I didn't believe it was definitely a double turn.

If it is, I'm happy. But there's still enough happening to suggest that Del Rio isn't full heel, and Ziggler isn't full face.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want Colter to go on Colbert, that could be a classic segment.

I think if they start a celebrity feud between shows like that, and have Colbert and Stewart/Oliver come as managers for a payoff match on Raw in front of a NY crowd, they could possibly get some new eyes on both programs.

Foley can't rep the Daily Show though since he can't wrestle.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rick_fingers said:

This is what I'm worried about. In the Payback chat, I was one of the very few against Ziggler losing/the 'double turn' - but that was mainly because I didn't believe it was definitely a double turn.

If it is, I'm happy. But there's still enough happening to suggest that Del Rio isn't full heel, and Ziggler isn't full face.

Del Rio called the fans cowards on Monday and got himself intentionally counted out. How is he not a full heal?

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Swagger who? God tier.

Loading Video...

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12581  Edited By Roomrunner

I hope Antonio gets his fair share of mic time in promos though. He's way more capable than Swags, and is wasted saying "we the people" like a caveman.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was Paul Levesque supposed to play Max Moon? Goldust, Headcase, Undertaker, Shango were all designed seemingly after the wrestler to play the character was chosen. I mean, that's Mick Foley all right. But that ain't Konnan. Who else but Trips, Shawn, Jeff Jarrett, Billy Gunn, Bob Holly had locks like that. You'd think if it was meant for a rent-a-gimmick like Sparky, Billy, or JJ, they would have been given it without protest. But for Shawnee's BFF Jill-ple H, maybe he said fuck no, and it was given to Konnan at the last minute.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boocreepyfootdoctor: Seems unlikely. HHH only made his wrestling debut a few months before the Max Moon character showed up.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12584  Edited By lord_canti

@turboman said:

Smackdown this week seems like a placeholder show, not many angles.

although, the possibility of a Dean Ambrose vs. Christian program in interesting.

Hopefully WWE is committing to saving all of the hot stuff for Raw from now on again.

wasnt that supposed to be Daniel Bryan vs Ambrose? ...maybe that stuff about him and hhh was true

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12586  Edited By lord_canti

@papercut said:

@drx25 said:

So that's why the Daily show was brought up on Raw

in the make believe tv reality the daily show bit was because john Oliver was mentioned.

Loading Video...

it is still kinda weird seeing wrestling stuff being mentioned on other shows...especially ones that focus on the news.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12587  Edited By Roomrunner

They had Foley on the show once before to do a bit on how grandstanding on the floor of Congress is a lot like cutting a wrestling promo.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roomrunner: Foley is a bit of a regular on The Daily Show. He received an award at the Rally to Restore Sanity (and Fear).

Source: I was there.

Loading Video...

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12589  Edited By papercut

In related news, this Mick Foley Santa Clause documentary looks super weird.

DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In news that will make @milkman smile, Matt Striker is going to be leaving WWE soon:

Matt Striker ‏@Matt_Striker_12m

Was just informed by @WWE that my contract will not be renewed. I am now available 4 appearances, signings seminars & wrestling. Deep breath

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Matt Striker will no longer be doing whatever he was doing for the WWE

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12592  Edited By Milkman

@drx25: This is good news for everyone. It just means that now, Raw is Renee!

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12593  Edited By Hadoken101

@milkman said:

@drx25: This is good news for everyone. It just means that now, Raw is Renee!

The best of news

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12594  Edited By papercut
No Caption Provided

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12595  Edited By damswedon

This does mean that two thirds of the greatest segment in WWE history no longer work for the WWE.

Loading Video...

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12596  Edited By lord_canti

this is ether the best or worst thing

Loading Video...

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12597  Edited By Rick_Fingers
DisposableUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daniel Bryan as a spokesperson for anything is kind of surreal.

Also major NXT spoilers:

Corey Graves and Adrian Neville defeated The Wyatt Family to win the NXT Tag Team Championship. The finish was Sheamus (yes, the Irish guy) taking out Bray Wyatt, distracting The Family enough for Neville to hit the CSSP.

Also, Paige defeated Emma to become the first NXT Women's Champion.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Matt Striker will no longer be doing whatever he was doing for the WWE

You mean saying "Ladies and gentlemen: (NAME OF WRESTLER)

*gets insulted or beaten up by said wrestler*

Yes, his service will be missed.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12600  Edited By turboman

Sucks to see a true fan of the sport with a lot of knowledge of its history to be dumped like that. He isn't a vital part of the program, but he at least deserved another shot on commentary in my opinion.