Learning Japanese

Kycon90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Kycon90

I'm trying to learn Japanese and right now I've gotten my hands on rosetta stone Japanese level 1-3. That has stuff on reading, vocab, grammer, and listening, its pretty good. I'm also learning the hiragana and katakana.

Right now I would really like to know of any good books and/or audio materials for learning Japanese and I would also like any tips for learning.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Bruce

Rosetta Stone is pretty much the be all and end all of language learning tool thingys...I'd suggest some of the books they give to young children in Japan to help them learn how to write and so on. You can probably find them on sites that sell educational books.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64
@Bruce said:
" Rosetta Stone is pretty much the be all and end all of language learning tool thingys...I'd suggest some of the books they give to young children in Japan to help them learn how to write and so on. You can probably find them on sites that sell educational books. "
What he said about the books thing.  You can probably get some off Amazon.
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nasar7

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/learning-japanese-where-to-start-looong-post/247204/

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By iam3green

i have no idea but my dad is using rosetta stone for learning Italian.

TheSovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheSovereign

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEABOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Fallen189

Learn by doing sir.

お なまえ わ ですか?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By AgentJ

I really recommend the "My Japanese Coach" software for the DS. for as short a period of time as i used it before my trip it helped immensly. 

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RetroIce4

All I could tell you is stick with Rosetta Stone. It will really help you. I learned Spanish from it and my brother is learning Mandrian (sp?) or whatever they speak. Seems impossible to learn though. XD

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
@JJOR64 said:
" @Bruce said:
" Rosetta Stone is pretty much the be all and end all of language learning tool thingys...I'd suggest some of the books they give to young children in Japan to help them learn how to write and so on. You can probably find them on sites that sell educational books. "
What he said about the books thing.  You can probably get some off Amazon. "
Are there any online tools or anything? Or must he buy in order to learn?
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Steve_C

Strangley enough, i've recently been using the same software to learn some Japanese. I'm not very far though, as i've been busy and neglecting it a bit.

Maybe it's a problem that'll be rectified as i get further into the course, but i find it wierd that there's not some dictionary built-in. It seems it never actually tells you the meaning of the words, since you infer them yourself thorugh images, but i don't feel that it's precise enough on occasion. I only get a feel for the general meaning of the word in a few cases, and i want to actually know the specifics.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#12  Edited By Vinchenzo

I'm trying to learn as well. First of all I don't recommend Rosetta Stone because: (1) It's a waste of money, and (2) It's not taught the way I learn which is why I do not prefer it. All RS does is show you a picture and repeat that shit the entire lesson. I would also like to reiterate that that's my opinion, I'm a visual and audio learner but Rosetta Stone does not make me feel like learning. Simply put: it's boring. Moving onto what I do recommend and plan on buying:

• To learn Kana. (I didn't use this but a lot of people say Heisig is really useful.)
  • To learn Kanji. (I am planning on buying this. Apparently it's the most helpful guide to learning Kanji and tons of people have learned it in as early as 3 months if they work on 30-50 Kanji a day.)
  • I plan on getting a dry erase board and appropriate markers for my Kanji studies.
  • Use a SRS. (Thanks Jacki for originally recommending this to me. They are basically electronic note cards that present the information you lack most instead of repeating stuff you know. You have to make these yourself.)
  • Read what this guy has to say. According to him he learned fluent Japanese in 18 months. Overall he has a lot of motivational advice to tell you. Thanks to him I feel a bit renewed in my studies and hope to work a lot harder than I have been.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vinchenzo
@TheSovereign said:
" WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEABOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! "
People like you piss me off. Wanting to learn Japanese does not make you a weeaboo. Liking Japan does not make you a weeaboo. Dressing up in a kimono and going to Japanese class like the girl in my own class is being a weeaboo.
CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CSXLoser
@Vinchenzo said:
" @TheSovereign said:
People like you piss me off. Wanting to learn Japanese does not make you a weeaboo. Liking Japan does not make you a weeaboo. Dressing up in a kimono and going to Japanese class like the girl in my own class is being a weeaboo.
"
Does this one beat yours? I have a girl in my Japanese class who purposely speaks in a high pitched voice to sound like those female Japanese high school students. Also, one day she wore a sailor outift to school and she got in trouble by a teacher for wearing inappropriate clothes xD . She said it cost her $130!! I told her i rather just import 2 Japanese games that i will probably never fully understand in my life.

Back to the topic, one advice i keep on hearing from my classmates is to watch anime with subtitles. I dont watch a lot  but they do start to repeat words and phrases a lot so they get stuck in your head.

BTW, playing Persona 4 in japanese = damn good katakana training skills :P
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vinchenzo
@CSXLoser said:
" @Vinchenzo said:
" @TheSovereign said:
"
Does this one beat yours? I have a girl in my Japanese class who purposely speaks in a high pitched voice to sound like those female Japanese high school students. Also, one day she wore a sailor outift to school and she got in trouble by a teacher for wearing inappropriate clothes xD . She said it cost her $130!! I told her i rather just import 2 Japanese games that i will probably never fully understand in my life. Back to the topic, one advice i keep on hearing from my classmates is to watch anime with subtitles. I dont watch a lot  but they do start to repeat words and phrases a lot so they get stuck in your head. BTW, playing Persona 4 in japanese = damn good katakana training skills :P "
Couple things to reply to here. First of all I doubt your weeaboo beats the weaboo in my class. Not only has she worn a kimono, but also the wooden sandles, and her eyes sag or some shit. Not to sound like a complete jerk-off, but I will, she's probably the most awkward and unattractive woman I have ever seen.

Moving on. I hear Anime is alright, yes, but that JDramas are better. Dramas keep better sentence structure whereas Animes do not. Another link to share with you guys.

JDramas I recommend folks watch: Zettai Kareshi, Hana Kimi (shortened name of the drama), and Hana Yori Dango.
CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CSXLoser

Yea thats what i heard as well.

Your weeaboo officially destorys the one in my class. *bows down to you*

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By KaosAngel

Hah.  Don't bother with that crap.  I came to Tokyo with almost no knowledge of the langauge.  I speak it close to fluent.

Reading is decent too. 

Don't waste money that way.  Find someone who speaks it and learn it for them.  You can read from a book so many times, but that just means you can read from a book.  It shows no path towards understanding.

Besides, it took me a year to learn "proper" Japanese.  I spent a lot of time learning from Women...so my Japanese is really girly at times.  I get made fun for it by police officers and other girls.  Some guys find it annoying as hell though.  I can't help it...it's how I learned Japanese.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vinchenzo
@KaosAngel: I don't think you should dismiss the books. The ones I linked have mnemonic devices to help remember kana/kanji. Obviously I can't honestly claim anything since I have yet to use them, but they seem promising. Reading sentence structure and such from a book? Yes, that sounds like what you are referring to. But when you use a mnemonic device with SRS it helps to remember what you are studying.

My memory is terrible, so I'll cling to any hope I can.