• 87 results
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Example1013

@Metalideth: Rod Stewart (and Jeff Beck) got famous playing in Jeff Beck Group, and Jeff Beck Group played nothing but covers. They sold entire full-length albums that were just different takes on other groups' hits. They in fact even played some reworked versions of Led Zeppelin hits. "Truth", which is a really famous (and influential) album, was nothing but covers.

And it's still not as bad as what happened in the 50s, where labels sometimes literally took black musicians' recordings and billed them as done by a white guy. Like, they didn't even have the white guy rerecord it, they just put out the black guy's version and said that the black guy wasn't the artist.

Mu5hy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Mu5hy

They've always stayed one of my favorite bands for as long as I can remember, while other things come and go. Led Zeppelin is timeless. I couldn't call any one song my favorite, but I'll name three - Achilles Last Stand, Thank You, Going to California.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#53  Edited By Daveyo520

They are the greatest band to ever exist.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Ramone

Good studio band pretty underwhelming live.

@Jams said:

Once I found out a ton of their popular songs are covers, I couldn't look at them the same way again. I can't believe they would play blues songs and then act like they came up with it (they never credited the original artists).

Jimi Hendrix did loads of covers, does that make him bad?

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By soldierg654342

I started listening to them just for John Bonham but I've grown to appreciated their music in general. 

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Jams

@Jonny7892 said:

Good studio band pretty underwhelming live.

@Jams said:

Once I found out a ton of their popular songs are covers, I couldn't look at them the same way again. I can't believe they would play blues songs and then act like they came up with it (they never credited the original artists).

Jimi Hendrix did loads of covers, does that make him bad?

I didn't grow up in that time, but from what I gather, if Hendrix covered a song, he gave credit where credit was due. You don't see anyone suing the Jimi Hendrix estate. Led Zeppelin never cared. They would credit lyrics and music to themselves and claim they never heard a song (even though everything is the same). I'v only been playing gigs for a year or so now and just started getting paid for it. If we didn't take off and 10 years down the line I hear one of our songs and they claim they made it up, I'd be pretty upset about it. I'd personally never record some one elses music without authorization first and I would NEVER claim that it was mine. Just the thought of some one doing it makes me sick. Just the blatant disregard for other people causes me to have a hard time enjoying Led Zeppelin anymore.

And just in case you guys didn't know. You can legally record a cover song if you get authorization from their record company first. You also have to credit them on the record as the original artist. Led Zeppelin did non of those things.

EDIT: Some songs are literal rip offs of lyrics and arrangement while some are just used riffs and chord progressions which aren't as bad. I think Stairway is just a used chord progression with different lyrics which is fine by me. Reusing lyrics and calling them your own is what really gets me.

McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By McSmunions

zeppelin is awesome, but when i hear certain songs i cant help but think of the other songs where it was sampled.

i actually just rewatched that live dvd of them at the Royal Albert Hall, love watching Moby Dick.
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Jams said:

You can legally record a cover song if you get authorization from their record company first.

This may be of interest to you:
Surprisingly enough, if somebody is determined to do a cover version of your song, it is well-nigh impossible for you, Joe Composer, to stop them. In general, the right to record somebody else's song is called a "mechanical license," and usually it's negotiated in a routine manner between representatives of the copyright holder and the would-be cover artiste. (Outfits like The Harry Fox Agency in New York generally handle the publisher's side.) However, in the rare event that negotiations fail, the copyright laws contain provisions for a type of mechanical license called a "compulsory license," which, in effect, give anyone the right to record any song he or she wants to, as long as notice is given to the song's copyright owners within 30 days after the recording is made and before it is distributed. Compulsory licenses were written into the copyright laws in 1909 in an attempt to break up a monopoly in the piano-roll industry--an industry which has since been pretty well broken up, period. So why negotiate at all? Mainly because the law dictates higher royalty rates and stricter payment schedules for compulsory licenses than you can obtain with the negotiated kind.
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By captain_clayman
@VelvetLore04 said:

Perhaps the most overrated of the 'dad rock' bands.

dad rock.  really?  bands you listen to will be dad rock bands when you're a dad.  is dad rock supposed to have a negative connotation?  
donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By donchipotle

@captain_clayman said:

@VelvetLore04 said:

dad rock. really? bands you listen to will be dad rock bands when you're a dad. is dad rock supposed to have a negative connotation?

Sounds better than classic rock because classic conjures up the image of something worth listening to.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61  Edited By Bruce
@chrismafuchris:  

I can't stand them; can't fucking stand them. Aside from "Stairway to Heaven", and I guess "Kashmir", I can't stand listening to them.
McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By McSmunions

motherfucker's singing about lord of the rings

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By napalm

I've long-held the standing that anybody who's sole opinion of one band is, "one of the greatest to ever exist [usually under any circumstance]," has no musical background or listener/history training to really be throwing around a heavy-handed statement like that. Most people tend to jump on the bandwagon and piggyback the popular opinions of others without much forethought, and I've always felt this way for the Led Zeppelin super-crazy and somewhat delusional ultra-superfans. It's the one band they discovered somewhere in their teens when they were mega-impressionable, and most of them haven't grown much beyond that. 

Can we talk about how awesome Accept is, or how amazing and consistent Motörhead are, instead? Led Zeppelin just isn't very interesting. It's the dead horse that's been beaten, the "living legends that altered the course of history forever, and shaped the lives of every human being," this sort of ultra-pandering, God-like worship of the band that is just creepy.

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@elsuperdonut: Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are two very different bands and by comparing them you have flagrantly showcased how little you know about the two of them.
Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By MariachiMacabre

One of my all-time favorites.

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Solemn

They are fucking awesome.

ledzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ledzeppelin

I'd probably had to say I'm a pretty big fan

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By CptBedlam

@chrismafuchris said:

What do you think of Led Zeppelin? I think they were highly talented and hugely influential, but a guy I know says they suck. What do you think?

You are right. He is ignorant.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By CptBedlam

TheVeteran13 said:

Their songs are good but they made them in a way they couldn't replicate in a live performance so seeing them live was never as good as people anticipated

Err, no. They were a fucking great live band and the live versions were ofter superior to the originals. Kashmir, Rock n Roll, Whole Lotta Love, Thank You, Achilles Last Stand etc. ... all of them better as live versions.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CptBedlam: Cool, I don't care
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By TheGreatGuero

To not like them is one thing, but to say they suck is moronic.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By CptBedlam

@TheVeteran13: Not knowing stuff doesn't stop you from talking bullshit about it. Too bad.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#73  Edited By Vinny_Says

They're an awesome, talented band that performs great live and have good songs on great albums that are good to listen to from start to finish. I would rank them just a notch below the original Black Sabbath lineup in terms of my favorite bands.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#74  Edited By Little_Socrates

I think they're great, they're one of the few responses I accept for "greatest band ever" (a title that, for me, requires having more than one or two albums you really like, even if you really, really like them.)

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I think they're extremely overplayed. No matter how good a band is or isn't doesn't matter when 1/4 times a rock station is playing their song, they get annoying.

Everytime a song of theirs comes on, I either switch the radio station, or put on a cd.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CptBedlam: I stand by what I said, Fuck Led Zeppelin  
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By HandsomeDead

Every person I've known to like them has been some super lame dad-rock nerd. I was at a party a few months back where someone decided to change the music from stuff people enjoyed, and could kind of dance to, to Led Zeppelin and it was the worst thing ever. Total mood killer.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
@HandsomeDead said:
Every person I've known to like them has been some super lame dad-rock nerd. I was at a party a few months back where someone decided to change the music from stuff people enjoyed, and could kind of dance to, to Led Zeppelin and it was the worst thing ever. Total mood killer.
You need to meet some new people with more diverse musical tastes. And also who know what music works for a party and what doesn't. The fact that they aren't great for setting a party mood isn't indicative of quality.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By CptBedlam

@TheVeteran13: You obviously know shit about music. Fine with me.

Also, what you said was just plain wrong.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Spoonman671

As a bass player, I'm pretty much required to love Led Zeppelin.  Check out this fatty, for reference.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CptBedlam: Are you always so defensive?
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By CptBedlam

@TheVeteran13: Are you always so wrong?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CptBedlam: Good job not answering the question, go choke on some vomit and don't talk to me any more
Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@VelvetLore04 said:

This.

I can't stand any of it.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By CptBedlam

@TheVeteran13: What's your explanation for talking out of your ass?

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I never really like them, even when I was really into classic rock.

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheVeteran13: Stop being a jerk.