Lemmy of Motorhead Dead at Age 70

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

This is terribly sad news. I don't have much else to comment about, but thought I should spread the word for those who this would affect.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Very sad, but not unexpected. I saw Motorhead at Chicago Riot Fest a few months back, and he was clearly in no condition to be up on stage, he was seriously in a bad way. But then you have to hand it to a dude who refuses to stop touring even in the condition he was in. RIP Lemmy.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai

Heaven just got filthier.

Loading Video...

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wikitoups

NOOOOOOOO LEMMY :(

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By hassun

Stone Dead Forever. God fucking damn it.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cancer is a bastard. RIP, so glad I got to see Motörhead a few years back. I really like him in that one game with jack black.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I probably couldn't name a Motorhead song, but I knew about Lemmy because he was an icon. That's nasty news.

Loading Video...

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hassun

For anyone not or barely aware who Lemmy was:

Lemmy was the physical manifestation of Rock 'n' Roll.

"We are Motörhead and we play Rock 'n' Roll!"

Documentaries on Motörhead:

Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor, former drummer of Motörhead and good friend of Lemmy, died 11 November 2015.

BBC obituary: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-24806076

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By monetarydread

Damn, thats terrible news. He might have lost his life early, but at least he lived one.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevin_cogneto said:

Very sad, but not unexpected. I saw Motorhead at Chicago Riot Fest a few months back, and he was clearly in no condition to be up on stage, he was seriously in a bad way. But then you have to hand it to a dude who refuses to stop touring even in the condition he was in. RIP Lemmy.

It's cool that he went out doing what he loved.

R.I.P

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I know he's had health issues lately, but still a shock. Lemmy was always true to himself and he will be missed.

Bedouin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was listening to these guys at work just the other day. Sad stuff.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

What terrible news. Ace of Spades is one of the most iconic heavy metal songs ever made. It's the kind of song you'd imagine walking in on the devil headbanging to.

RIP Lemmy.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

It's honestly amazing that he lived as long as he did, but damnit if he didn't live every second of it to the fullest. I really thought he was invincible. I guess even a god like Lemmy wasn't immune to the clutches of death. It's a truly sad and staggering loss to the music world. RIP, Lemmy.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

man what kinda cancer kills you in a week?

RIP Lemmy

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta: The Facebook post said "He had learnt of the disease on December 26th." It's possible he had it for longer than that. (On top of the large amount of health issues he had already.)

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I've heard the latest Motorhead album that was released this year. It's shockingly strong musically, considering it was made by a guy who turned 70 this year. Those vocals were pretty darn rough, though.

Loading Video...

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way Lemmy carried on, 70 is about 120 in regular folk years. RIP to a rock legend.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bet that cancer was tearing at him for a while, wonder why it wasn't caught earlier. On another note, reading about him on BBC. I really did not know he played for Hawkwind.

I'm impressed. And of course not just for that.

RIP.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a god damned bummer. Never managed to witness him live.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That guy got a full life. Hell he hit that last flagpole with extras that he earned. He gets to keep those as a bonus score and we can just remember him for how he played the game. BECAUSE IT'S ALL ABOUT THE GAME!

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pancreatic cancer can be really rough (killed my great grandmother) and the onset can be fast depending on type. Really going to miss that guy and his music but, man, what an amazing life and legacy.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#24 gamer_152  Moderator

God damn, that's a big loss. All I can say is I'm glad the guy gave it his all while he was still alive. R.I.P.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hassun

@jakob187: Better to just copy that stuff into this thread. Thanks for the post though.

Motörhead was never complicated and you can capture its essence quite easily. But at the same time it's so powerful and honest that it might just knock you off your feet.

On the making of Shake Your Blood for Dave Grohl's Probot project:

"I wrote the lyrics in about ten minutes," Lemmy says of "Shake Your Blood." "It's rock & roll, you know. It's not one of those complicated things."

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: Indeed. Motorhead and AC/DC are those two bands that, no matter what, you can always rely on making quality rock 'n' roll because they made the perfect formulas for their sound and didn't need to deviate from that at all.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And now Pavel Srnicek is dead. Shit. At least I saw him play a couple of years back for Steve Harper's testimonial.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This guy listened to doctors advise of keeping hydrated by putting more ice cubes in his whiskey whilst performing, what a man, rip.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

@hassun: Indeed. Motorhead and AC/DC are those two bands that, no matter what, you can always rely on making quality rock 'n' roll because they made the perfect formulas for their sound and didn't need to deviate from that at all.

I wish I could agree with that, but outside of the Bon Scott era and then Back in Black, everything after is spotty at best, IMO. Some good singles, to be sure, but nowhere near as reliable.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By Zevvion

That's a real shame. Sad to read, but I do think he lived a very full life. I'm grateful I got to see him perform at least once. If you ever questioned him to be an icon, seeing him perform reinforces that he indeed was one.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mellotronrules

super sad- thought he'd be one of those assholes with alligator blood that lives forever despite abusing every substance under the sun (see: keith richards).

the man lived hard- 70 is a pretty good number to put up, considering. here's to ya lemmy!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

man what kinda cancer kills you in a week?

RIP Lemmy

He probably had it a lot longer than that but only just got diagnosed.

R.I.P.

Quantical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He did well considering how much he smoke and drank. I too assumed he'd be around forever.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

I wish I could agree with that, but outside of the Bon Scott era and then Back in Black, everything after is spotty at best, IMO. Some good singles, to be sure, but nowhere near as reliable.

I love it all. It's good, loud rock 'n' roll. Angus still shreds, and the last album was excellent IMO. Understandable, though, that some don't care for the catalog after Back in Black.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great voice, like an angel.

RIP

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Radio station I care about did a Motorhead/Lemmy tribute yesterday. I will be honest, I kind of listened around Motorhead, but I have known of them for decades. Hearing Lemmy speak yesterday in some previous radio interviews was pretty interesting and attention holding..

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck cancer.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PollySMPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By PollySMPS

It started in early December with Scott Weiland. Then Lemmy. Then Bowie. Three people who highly influenced the music I enjoy and create. It's been a terrible terrible time watching all these inspirations drift off. All I can do now is hope to use the inspiration they gave me to some way inspire others.